HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Arnott a Predator

Old
07-02-2006, 02:23 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slava29 View Post
Umm....if you signed him to produce in the short term why did you give him five years? Other players signed this weekend will be able to contribute in the last years of their contract. Why is Arnott the exception?

Nashville has the deepest corps of young defencemen in the league and Vokoun turned 30 yesterday. This team will still be a contender three to five years from now. Why compromise the future for a half-hearted shot at the present. It's not like Nashville are only Arnott away from the Cup. If you're going to backend a contract do it for a player that will give you a real chance. He's not the guy.
So, there has been no mention of a no trade clause. If we need to we can TRADE him in 2 years when we can come up with an upgrade. I also think 5 yrs is a bit much. But many teams would love to pick up a guy with the resume he has at trade deadline time, so I think it is relatively low risk. He is not holding a roster spot someone else is slotted for right now.

darth5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Umm....if you signed him to produce in the short term why did you give him five years? Other players signed this weekend will be able to contribute in the last years of their contract. Why is Arnott the exception?

Nashville has the deepest corps of young defencemen in the league and Vokoun turned 30 yesterday. This team will still be a contender three to five years from now. Why compromise the future for a half-hearted shot at the present. It's not like Nashville are only Arnott away from the Cup. If you're going to backend a contract do it for a player that will give you a real chance. He's not the guy.
I strongly disagree. If Vokoun and Legwand return to full strength, I think we are a lot closer to making a run at the Cup than you give us credit for. We do still need a veteran defenseman to balance our youth on the blueline, but I think that our plethora of defensive prospects only shows that we have talent still to join the team in the future. At the end of Arnott's contract Hamhuis will have 8 years as a professional, Suter 7 years as a pro, and Weber and Klein should be be around six apiece. Add any combination of Parent, Franson, Laakso, etc to that mix and you have some younger players hopefully ready to make major contributions to the team themselves.

We are building for a shot at the Cup in the next 2 years IMO. Time will only tell and there are a lot of things to happen during that time, but you don't seem to be giving us any credit...so...we'll have to agree to disagree.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 02:26 PM
Deke Captain

Quote:
It's not like Nashville are only Arnott away from the Cup. If you're going to backend a contract do it for a player that will give you a real chance. He's not the guy.
I don't think there's a team out there that's 1 player away from a Cup....

and what player that was left on the market, would've been a better sign in your opinion?

Deke Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Stuart McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Who would have been a better option? We got the best center on the market. It was a weak market, yes, but we had to work with what we had, and we are a better team for it. We didn't have to lose any assets to get him, and now we HAVE assets to make a trade for a physical, big d-man(a need almost as glaring as our need for a big center). I like guys like Sillinger, McCauley, even Allison...but this was the guy that made the most sense for us and the way our team was built. Playing with Kariya and Erat got VERN FIDDLER some goals. I think Arnott will be in a position to succeed.
Okay. Don't laugh but I like Jason Allison. He would have been much cheaper (2 mill/year max), would likely have signed for fewer years and he is exactly the same age as Arnott. He was given a lot of credit for the emergence of young Leaf winger Alexei Ponikarovsky and he is a much more consistent offensive producer than Jason Arnott. I was shocked at how good Allison is down low when the Leafs signed him last year. He is poor defensively but from what I've seen of Nashville they need offense. If you get a chance to watch him play notice just how long he is able to hold onto the puck everytime he gets it. He may be the strongest player on the puck I"ve seen.
I am wary that Allison's market value isn't much higher. He may be trouble in the dressing room I don't know.
I don't like Arnott. I think he hosed you guys.

Stuart McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 03:01 PM
dulzhok

The feeling I get on this is very similar to how I felt when we traded a 1st for Witt. Looks good on paper, best *available* option, overpaid to get it, but it just doesn't feel right.

*IF* Arnott can play at a high level for 5 years, it will be worth it. But if history repeats itself for Arnott (very inconsistent play/production) it could be a very long, frustrating contract for us.

But at this point, we can only hope for the best... that Arnott will be a physical, 2 way center putting up a point-per-game, and a playoff beast.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 03:10 PM
Stuart McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
At the end of Arnott's contract Hamhuis will have 8 years as a professional, Suter 7 years as a pro, and Weber and Klein should be be around six apiece. Add any combination of Parent, Franson, Laakso, etc to that mix and you have some younger players hopefully ready to make major contributions to the team themselves.
But that's my whole point. I totally agree with you on the almost ridiculous amount of defensive depth that Nashville has. That's why I wouldn't want a millstone of a contract hanging around Nashville's neck when you either have to resign the best of these players or go out and get some offense to go for a Cup. Personally I think this team will win the Cup 3 or 4 years from now when Suter, Hamhuis, Weber and Parent are all mature enough to contribute and Vokoun is in his mid thirties. You'll rue Arnott's contract then.

I love Hamhuis. I have him in my keeper pool and I watch Nashville when I can. For a 22 year old that kid logs a tonne of minutes. He has to be the most underrated young defenceman in the NHL.

Stuart McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 03:10 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

That does offically end the free agent signing period for the Predators!!!!

I'm hoping he can get his name engraved on the cup atleast one more time!!!

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Seriously, how is 4.5 million a millstone. We have tons of caproom. This is not even close to a max contract, and Arnott will be able to play on the top 3 lines for the duration of this contract. We have no one...absolutely no one that will take his spot, and he is exactly what this team needs at the center ice position. He isn't Forsberg, or Sakic...he won't put up 90 points, maybe he will get 70 (but I doubt it). Still, he gives us a good prescense up the middle which could totally change our entire identity. People need to relax. We paid what the market value was for him. He is an UFA. This is how unrestricted free agency works in any sport. Heck, I would say that not having to pay 5-6 million for him or Savard is a plus.

Advocating Jason Allison over Arnott is...pathetic. If you think Allison would fit this team, you clearly have not seen much, if any, of Nashville's style of play. He would be worse than Yanic Perrault in terms of how he fit the team.

07-02-2006, 04:32 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Great signing, I dislike Arnott (Ducks fan; division rival) but the guy is an awesome player. I started inching on the bandwagon when you guys made a run in 04 and gave Detroit a scare, than I took a step once Kariya signed (my all-time favorite player) and now I may have to fully jump on because Arnott is EXACTLY the type of center that compliments Kariya.

I watch Kariya play in Anaheim for 9 years and the one player I can tell you he relied on the most is Steve Rucchin and Jason Arnott is a younger, better version of Rooch. If Kariya doesn't score 40 goals this year I'll eat my shoe. If Vocoun comes back totally healthy you guys are in the drivers seat for the central, no doubt. Good job to Poilie (did I spell that right) this is how you progress as an expansion team, you make the necessary improvements. Good luck this year, I'm glad we only play you four times!

TheJoeMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 06:43 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

http://www.nashvillepredators.com/pr...p?story_id=963

press conference quotes. Arnott:

"Nashville was on my radar before FA even began"

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
http://www.nashvillepredators.com/pressbox/news.asp?story_id=963

press conference quotes. Arnott:

"Nashville was on my radar before FA even began"

The great thing about this signing is it beefs up all the offensive areas we were weak in last year. We aren't losing speed. We are adding size. With Sillinger, Perrault, and Johnson leaving our faceoffs were an area of concern, but Arnott is solid in that area. He goes to the net often, and he is responsible defensively.

Sure he has been inconsistent in the past, and I'm not counting on 70+ points each year. Still, if he can create the room for Kariya and Erat, get back better than Perrault...give us a solid top PP unit....I'll be happy. I want 60 points out of Arnott a year, but I'm hoping Legwand steps up and puts in 60 as well. The true key is to get our wingers to pick up the pace a bit. Harts and Erat should thrive if healthy and on the top 2 lines.

We all were hoping Poile saw the fit here. He did. I'm ecstatic!

The thing I liked the most about that conference call was Arnott/Trotz/Poile's comments about Jason getting a chance to be the go-to-guy, and his desire to be that guy. Lets hope he can be that guy.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:54 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I like, no love this signing, exactly what we needed. I'd still like to see Upshall move to center to give us three good centers. It would also allow us to occasionally play Arnot between Hartnell and Hall, although I also wouldn't mind smithson between those two some, just to bang around.

Arnott would have led all our forwards in hits execpt for Hordichuk.

We could see these lines next season

Kariya-Arnott-Erat
Sullivan-Legwand-Walker/Radulov
Harts-Upshall-Hall
Hordichuk-Smithson-Tootoo/Nichol/Fiddler

I actually still would see us move Hall and Walker to make some room, and with all the centers we have now, moving Nichol/Fiddler wouldn't bother me either.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 10:55 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Woohoo!!!

I would check TSN.ca every few days just to see if the Preds did anything, then gleefully I see today that they signed Arnott!!!

Great signing, now god damnit I gotta figure out how to watch the games from over here!!!!

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:00 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Advocating Jason Allison over Arnott is...pathetic. If you think Allison would fit this team, you clearly have not seen much, if any, of Nashville's style of play. He would be worse than Yanic Perrault in terms of how he fit the team.
Agreed Enoch

Old
07-03-2006, 01:49 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I like, no love this signing, exactly what we needed. I'd still like to see Upshall move to center to give us three good centers. It would also allow us to occasionally play Arnot between Hartnell and Hall, although I also wouldn't mind smithson between those two some, just to bang around.
This article on TSN suggested just that. That if Arnott can't ideally fit with the speedy Kariya/Sully then he would be great paired up with Hartnell on a wing.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/nhl_mail/?ID=170323

------------------------------------------------------------
I really didn't think we were going to sign anyone, well not this big. This morning reading the paper with Poile saying he talked to agents and players but didn't think there was really anything out there for us. I love this signing. I'm surprised we went for 5 years, but if that's what it took to get him here I don't care about the length.

I was surprised to see on TSN's "Your Call" that people weren't calling it career suicide like most did for Kariya last summer. Some thought it was good but most were actually Montreal fans mad that they didn't get Arnott!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 07:53 AM
muddycreek*

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Kariya-Arnott-Erat
Sullivan-Legwand-Walker/Radulov
Harts-Upshall-Hall
Hordichuk-Smithson-Tootoo/Nichol/Fiddler
Tootoo is too talented to play fourth line. He has shown he can produce when put with a line that can produce. I expect that if he is told he'll be fourth line, he will NOT re-sign with Preds. I don't blame him. Just becasaue he came up as a banger does not mean he must stay a banger! He, Erat, and Leggy were the only three players last year that could consistently get the damn puck across the blue line and you'd put Tootoo on the fourth line. Nonesense IMO!

muddycreek* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:06 AM
Jarnberg

On Arnott's NHL.com player profile, check out his recent videos (towards the top of the page on the right). He scores a ton of goals parked in front of the net. Think about Kariya or Sullivan feeding quick passes to him in front of the net.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 05:11 PM
handtrick

Arnott Introduced in Nashville.

http://www.nashvillepredators.com/pr...p?story_id=970

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 05:26 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
hopefully it works out better than it did for bad-erat and mckenzie.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 08:39 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

I find it a little bit funny that after the Kariya signing he said he had talked to Johnson about the good things here, then Arnott says he asks a few guys about the bad things here.

Old
07-18-2006, 10:40 AM
PattyLafontaine

Good signing

but ... horrible contract length. The length become a problem because Nashville signed him for years 4 and 5. God forbid Arnott's play greatly dimishes Nashville has to deal with a situation similar to one Lou L is dealing with Mogilny and Malakov, eseentailly 4.5 million of wasted cap space. Of course if Arnott is playing great hockey it's not a concern but with 35 and over rule it is certainly a risk. Ahould have decreased the length and upped the price.

PattyLafontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 10:45 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyLafontaine View Post
but ... horrible contract length. The length become a problem because Nashville signed him for years 4 and 5. God forbid Arnott's play greatly dimishes Nashville has to deal with a situation similar to one Lou L is dealing with Mogilny and Malakov, eseentailly 4.5 million of wasted cap space. Of course if Arnott is playing great hockey it's not a concern but with 35 and over rule it is certainly a risk. Ahould have decreased the length and upped the price.
tad bit of difference ... Arnott IS 31 ... not 35

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 10:48 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyLafontaine View Post
It's really only a big deal to those who don't know Nashville's situations. The 35 and over rule and various other salary cap related concerns don't really apply to the Preds. Provided the cap doesn't decrease, I don't see the Preds spending up to it. This year they'll probably hover at or around $7 million below. So any rules that would penalize signings such as this long-term are irrelevant to the Preds.

The only scenario where this hurts is if Arnott becomes dead weight later on in the contract and the $4.5 million that we pay him in those final years is money we can't spend to improve the team under our self-imposed cap. But I'm sure Poile and Leipold, the owner, talked about this situation at length. I wouldn't be surprised if Poile got word from Leipold that he'd be willing to spend more in the future in order to alleviate the risk of signing a player to a contract such as this.

The bottom line is that while the Predators future is as bright as any team's, they have a nice window here in the next couple of years to really make something happen (next year specifically). And they need to move quick to make sure they maximize this chance.

Last edited by SmokeyClause: 07-18-2006 at 10:55 AM.
SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

We either had to make this signing, or trade for a center that is a RFA, etc. and pay them the big bucks. Lets look at it from a personel perspective, we have no one in the system that is going to be ready to play in a 1/2 scoring role at center ice in the system .... at any juncture. Who cares if we gave him an extra year, I'm willing to lay money down that even if his skills decline and we can't use him any more, we could trade him for at least some sort of draft pick. Look at what Chris Gratton gets annually to understand where I am coming from. Arnott's size, faceoff ability, and position make him a higher priced player than a winger....its just the way NHL finances work. He has a rare combination that helps a team in many different facets other than just the scoresheet.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 10:28 PM
PattyLafontaine

Well if he was 31 then why not do a 4 year deal and bump Arnott to 4.75 or 4.8? Believe me the 35 year old rule will become a big problem not necessarily to Nashville in this case but you will see teams shying away from signing players to long term deals that cross the 35 yr old line.

PattyLafontaine is offline   Reply With Quote