HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Baseball
Baseball MLB, NCAA, International

2013 MLB Spring Training Discussion (news, notes, game action, etc)

Old
02-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Static

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Static
No, it's the Vernon wells 81 rating that has me laughing.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:11 AM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

I prefer the much more conservative ratings that NHL 13 gives out. Not even Gretzky is a 99 in that game. That implies a player who is generational in all facets of the game. No such player exists. The closest is Mike Trout I'd say, because he is great at everything, but even he maxes out at a 95 imo.

Also you have to consider what mid to high 90's means. Consider the legends of the game. If Andrew McCutchen is a 99 you're pretty much telling me he's as good as Lou Gehrig, Ted Williams, and Hank Aaron. Afterall, those players couldn't possibly be rated any higher.

I don't think the people who made this game considered any of this. Looking at some more of the ratings, it appears they decided to just give every good player a 95-99.

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:38 AM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
No, it's the Vernon wells 81 rating that has me laughing.
oh god i didn't even notice that.

81 is how much he's being paid this year, right?

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:37 AM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

So Xbox owners continue to be stuck with MLB 2K. Haven't had a baseball game since 2K9.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:45 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I prefer the much more conservative ratings that NHL 13 gives out. Not even Gretzky is a 99 in that game. That implies a player who is generational in all facets of the game. No such player exists. The closest is Mike Trout I'd say, because he is great at everything, but even he maxes out at a 95 imo.

Also you have to consider what mid to high 90's means. Consider the legends of the game. If Andrew McCutchen is a 99 you're pretty much telling me he's as good as Lou Gehrig, Ted Williams, and Hank Aaron. Afterall, those players couldn't possibly be rated any higher.
Well, at one point in time guys like McCutchen, Trout, or anyone really could be as good as those all time greats. That's all the number should represent, not their career value or anything.

I used to make custom rosters for MVP05. The goal when making rosters isn't to get the rating what anyone would perceive as right. It's to make it so the player performs in game with that number somewhere close to where he performs in real life. If it takes a 99 to do that then so be it.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

2k13 is just the same as 2k12. No point.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:04 PM
Pwnasaurus

I haven't played a baseball sim since Sierra Front Page Sports Baseball '98 for the PC. The open source code allowed folks to create some awesome utilities for it as well.

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Yankees lost today, but 3 of the Phils' 4 runs came off of Zach Nulding. I have no clue who that is

Starters were all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Well, at one point in time guys like McCutchen, Trout, or anyone really could be as good as those all time greats. That's all the number should represent, not their career value or anything.

I used to make custom rosters for MVP05. The goal when making rosters isn't to get the rating what anyone would perceive as right. It's to make it so the player performs in game with that number somewhere close to where he performs in real life. If it takes a 99 to do that then so be it.
If that's the case then the game dynamic should be changed so that game Trout performs like real Trout at 90 as opposed to 99.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Bruv
Loveless

vCash: 50
2k is awful. Recycled every year

Bruv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:20 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudi View Post
2k is awful. Recycled every year
I bought a PS3 a few years back just for The Show because 2k became so awful that I couldn't play it anymore and I wanted a baseball game.

2K wasn't even supposed to come out this year then shocked some people by announcing it last month.

It was really good on Dreamcast and PS2 when it was called World Series Baseball 2K then around 2K4 or 5 it got bad. 2K6/7/8 for XBox were ok but since 2K9 they've just gotten worse every year.

When the new systems come out I might get PS4 over XBox 720(?) for The Show unless EA (MVP) starts making baseball games again.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:05 AM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Why do some teams have "Spring Training" jerseys while other teams wear their normal regular season jerseys? I wish the Dodgers had Spring Training jerseys.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:19 AM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
2k13 is just the same as 2k12. No point.
I wish they would bring The Show to xbox. I'm dying for a baseball game.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:49 AM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

vCash: 995
The Show is so much better than 2K it's not even close. Wish it was for the Xbox.

starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:04 AM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

****, I envy you, PS3 owners.

**** you, EA. This is all your fault. You signed a contract with the wrong league. You were better with your MVP Baseball series. 2K was better with their NFL 2K series. Microsoft Studios should've at least continued their Inside Pitch franchise since 2K only had the third party rights to MLB games.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:55 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
I want MVP Baseball or High Heat back.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:49 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
I remember in 2k10, if you were a 99 and a pitcher, it wouldn't even matter. You'd still have a 4+ ERA

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post
I bought a PS3 a few years back just for The Show because 2k became so awful that I couldn't play it anymore and I wanted a baseball game.

2K wasn't even supposed to come out this year then shocked some people by announcing it last month.

It was really good on Dreamcast and PS2 when it was called World Series Baseball 2K then around 2K4 or 5 it got bad. 2K6/7/8 for XBox were ok but since 2K9 they've just gotten worse every year.

When the new systems come out I might get PS4 over XBox 720(?) for The Show unless EA (MVP) starts making baseball games again.
Same...though it took me longer. At least 75% of the reason I bought a PS3 last year was because I missed playing a good baseball game.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:44 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman confirmed Thursday that the club has made a "significant offer" to second baseman Robinson Cano.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:14 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post

**** you, EA. This is all your fault. You signed a contract with the wrong league. You were better with your MVP Baseball series. 2K was better with their NFL 2K series. Microsoft Studios should've at least continued their Inside Pitch franchise since 2K only had the third party rights to MLB games.
I freaking love the manual catching option. Instead, I have to keep playing 2K12 on PC where I can just direct the player to the ball

DennisReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post

EA and 2K definitely got their licenses mixed up there.

NFL 2K was so good as was MVP. Where as Madden is a disappointment every year and MLB 2K just outright blows and the developers don't seem to care.

IDK what happened to 2K. On Dreamcast and PS2 their games were amazing for all 4 sports and even their freakin Tennis game was good and I don't even follow tennis. Then the NFL license gets bought by EA, the NHL game declines after 2k6 and gets buried by EA's and MLB has gotten worse every year since 2k5 and is about to be put out to pasture too.

Their NBA game has been the only one that's stood the test of time and is amazing gameplay wise even if the Online and roster updates(quantity not quality in this regard) still face issues.

If and when MLB 2K finally stops production, I hope we see a return of MVP, High Heat or Inside Pitch so X-Box owners have a baseball game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Same...though it took me longer. At least 75% of the reason I bought a PS3 last year was because I missed playing a good baseball game.
The Show is really the only game I play for it, and I'd probably put that being higher than your 75% as the reason I bought the system.

I have Twisted Metal and had LA Noire (but beat that quick and traded it it). Last year I bought NCAAF for it instead of X-Box just to have something else to play on it.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:29 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

^ I just don't understand how Visual Concepts (2K's developers) do a great job with their NBA series, but can't even do the same for their MLB series.

Old
03-01-2013, 05:12 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman confirmed Thursday that the club has made a "significant offer" to second baseman Robinson Cano.

It beter not be a 10 year deal.

6/120-140 would be a good deal.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
I want MVP Baseball or High Heat back.
High Heat is (I still play it) awesome because, while every player has a base talent level, it comes up with actual talent level based on numbers (AB, H, 2B, 3B, HR, BB, K, BA, OBP, SLG [the latter 3 for LHP/B and RHP/B] for batting, range, arm strength and familiarity for defense) instead of flat numbers. So you can put in, say, Josh Hamilton's stat lines from last season (562 AB, 160 H, 31 2B, 2 3B, 43 HR, 60 BB, 162 K) and it'll give you decently accurate contact, power and eye numbers (I think I generally get upper 90s in the former two and in the 60s for eye). It makes it very easy to edit the rosters to today (which is even nicer since it has a built-in player editor).

Of course, there's also the matter that there isn't any decent PC baseball games anywhere anymore either.

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 09:59 AM
Bruv
Loveless

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
I remember in 2k10, if you were a 99 and a pitcher, it wouldn't even matter. You'd still have a 4+ ERA
Yeah haha and like every player would strike out 150+ times a year.. even Pujols

Bruv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:27 AM
KH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
It beter not be a 10 year deal.

6/120-140 would be a good deal.
It's gonna be a 10 year deal. Why would Cano and Boras settle for anything less? He could easily score that on the open market, and the Yankees simply can't afford to lose their best player.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote