HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What about Gionta?

Old
02-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
pretty safe bet that gionta is staying put now...

which is fine, especially if MT/MB use the incoming of Ryder to justify pulling back Gionta's PP time.

Gionta, for his shortcomings on offense, is not at all out of place in his ES minutes. He's playing solid, responsible hockey and still leads by example in terms of effort/attitude. As long as he doesn't sulk when/if his PP time gets cut, he's a positive overall to the team.

His contract sucks, but getting rid of cole's 4.5M$ makes it a lot more manageable for this year & next.

just needs to stay healthy now.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:57 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
DD and Gionta for Ribeiro to reignite the RyderRibeiro duo.
Ribs ain't in Dallas anymore bro.

Otherwise I'd approve.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:57 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
pretty safe bet that gionta is staying put now...

which is fine, especially if MT/MB use the incoming of Ryder to justify pulling back Gionta's PP time.

Gionta, for his shortcomings on offense, is not at all out of place in his ES minutes. He's playing solid, responsible hockey and still leads by example in terms of effort/attitude. As long as he doesn't sulk when/if his PP time gets cut, he's a positive overall to the team.

His contract sucks, but getting rid of cole's 4.5M$ makes it a lot more manageable for this year & next.

just needs to stay healthy now.
And I personnally hope that on the contrary, Cole's move is also a sign that Gionta could be moved as well. If the salary cap is indeed a reason for Cole's move, it has to be a reason for moving Gio. Obviously not for a 7th rounder. But you can find a way to make somewhat of a similar type of trade.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:02 PM
SnapVirus

Difference is Cole had a bad attitude goong into the season. And seemed like a bad mentor for the kids.

Gionta doesnt produce much. But hes giving his 100% percent. Good team guy and great leader.

Even if i never been in love with him. Theres a big difference between him and Cole.

SnapVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:06 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Difference is Cole had a bad attitude goong into the season. And seemed like a bad mentor for the kids.

Gionta doesnt produce much. But hes giving his 100% percent. Good team guy and great leader.

Even if i never been in love with him. Theres a big difference between him and Cole.
Sure there is. But there could 1000 different reason why you'd ship a guy. And honestly, for Gio, there are reasons to send him. Money is still too big. You can also bet that his production is declining by the minute so you want to trade him while some teams might not have noticed yet. You can say that you want to get bigger on the wings. All those 3 reasons are great enough to move him. Remains to be seen if there would be takers, yet his qualities and his hard work might make him attractive to teams that don't have cap problems.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:09 PM
coolasprICE

I see the organization respecting Gionta's contract and letting him finish it here.

The guy has committed to the city and has a family here and represents all the nice clean values we want a captain to do both on and off the ice.

I see MB avoid putting a sour ending to his career here. Besides, he's not a bad leader, he just in an ideal world should not be the captain of this proud franchise.

And it's not Gionta that chooses to play on the PP or on the top lines. I don't see anything wrong with a captain playing a limited role. He's a hard worker and I find he's actually being less of a puck hog this here.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:10 PM
dkdanielkli
GO HABS GO

vCash: 204
Send a message via Skype™ to dkdanielkli
Trade Gionta and 5th round pick for Malkin and Crosby.

Sens players beat up 5'8" Habs players, they are praised. Subban beats up a small Sens player, he's a coward, he's spot picking, he's this, he's that, he's too NBA, he's too NFL, cocky, classless, etc, etc, etc.... You guys are too much.
dkdanielkli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:00 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
gonna be hard since ribeiro plays with the washington muppetals

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:14 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Ribs ain't in Dallas anymore bro.

Otherwise I'd approve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
gonna be hard since ribeiro plays with the washington muppetals
You guys do realize the Habs are allowed to make trades with teams other than Dallas right?

I'm pretty sure WhiskeySeven knows that Ribs plays with the Caps; he was probably suggesting (possibly in nostalgic jest) to trade DD and Gionta to the Caps in return for Ribeiro so that Ribeiro and Ryder can rekindle their old magic from their previous seasons together with the Habs.

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:25 AM
jpchabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG87 View Post
You guys do realize the Habs are allowed to make trades with teams other than Dallas right?

I'm pretty sure WhiskeySeven knows that Ribs plays with the Caps; he was probably suggesting (possibly in nostalgic jest) to trade DD and Gionta to the Caps in return for Ribeiro so that Ribeiro and Ryder can rekindle their old magic from their previous seasons together with the Habs.
That was probably the most polite post I have seen to correct someone who misunderstood someone else on the internet.

To you sir, I raise my hat.

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:46 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchabby View Post
That was probably the most polite post I have seen to correct someone who misunderstood someone else on the internet.

To you sir, I raise my hat.
indeedy

although this happened first

Quote:
I still wouldn't be too upset if Gainey wants to trade us Eriksson for him.
Quote:
Eriksson plays for dallas. gainey is in dallas. i was wrong, but it's easy to missunderestimatunderstand that train of though no? although it could be whiskeyseven's raw sexuality. it occasionally throws me off course you see, but my therapist tells me i'll be ok in the long run

that said, they are still the muppetals of washington and i stand by that.

i am drunk but i am not that drunk...

alright, now on to the GDT to complain about something!

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Kjell Dahlin

It was another strong game by our captain. He is now our second best goals scorer (1. Plekanec, 2. Gionta, 3. Ryder, Pacioretty and Desharnais) and he is on pace for 28 goals over a 82 games season.

Definitely a buyout candidate!

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:20 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

He's definitely making me eat crow. He's getting those trash goals for the first time since forever now.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Andy

Shame that fans look at contract first, size second and contributions last. Gionta may be overpaid, but he's still a damn good two-way hockey player. He's a big reason for this team's success. Him paired with Plekanec gives the team an excellent shutdown pairing at the forward group. Gionta has always been a streaky scorer, but the thing is, at least when he is not scoring, he's providing a solid two-way game.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Shame that fans look at contract first, size second and contributions last. Gionta may be overpaid, but he's still a damn good two-way hockey player. He's a big reason for this team's success. Him paired with Plekanec gives the team an excellent shutdown pairing at the forward group. Gionta has always been a streaky scorer, but the thing is, at least when he is not scoring, he's providing a solid two-way game.
Reality is that he's been a MUCH better player lately. What I dislike about some people, is that they usually take the last 2-3 games and treat it as if it was the norm. Gionta wasn't as present as he is now. He is doing better. I will still believe he'd be at his place on a 3rd line when all is said and done, meaning with Bourque back.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:01 PM
905tech
HFBoards Sponsor

Giants was garbage until he got that empty netter in Toronto. That free throw seems to have got him going.

Anyone saying he wasn't trash up till this past week is just absurd.

Sure it might be a slump, but there are better suitors for the top 6 once everything is healthy. Gionta 'leadership' has earned him at max a role on the 3rd line.

905tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Reality is that he's been a MUCH better player lately. What I dislike about some people, is that they usually take the last 2-3 games and treat it as if it was the norm. Gionta wasn't as present as he is now. He is doing better. I will still believe he'd be at his place on a 3rd line when all is said and done, meaning with Bourque back.
Next season, I can also picture him on “3rd” (*1):

1. Eller – Plekanec – Bourque
2. Pacioretty – Desharnais - Gallagher
3. Prust – Galchenyuk – Gionta

When I bumped this thread, I was taking a jab at the people who were calling him “useless”, “charlatan”, “buyout candidate”. It was not directed toward the posters who saw flaws in his game: the guy is not perfect. There is only one perfect player on hfboards: Eller!

(*1) On any given night, any of our top 3 lines can act as the #1. Beside the tough minutes line (Plekanec’s), the labels #2 line and #3 line are interchangeable in Montreal. It’s one of our main forces.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:23 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfox View Post
Giants was garbage until he got that empty netter in Toronto. That free throw seems to have got him going.

Anyone saying he wasn't trash up till this past week is just absurd.

Sure it might be a slump, but there are better suitors for the top 6 once everything is healthy. Gionta 'leadership' has earned him at max a role on the 3rd line.
That's also true. He was beyond garbage before this trip. People were absolutely right to criticize him, in huge part because he was doing nothing.

On a 2 men forechecking system, he's also way less useful without the puck.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Habtchum*

I think the Cole trade woke him up.

Bergevin was not afraid to deal a favourite player and leader eeven with his big contract.

Gionta knows that Ryder can do the job if he can't.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:56 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
A lot of people made good points about how he wasn't great early on, but his offensive contribution was still acceptable, and so was his general play. I never got the feeling that he floated ... I appreciated his passing skills early on and I thought he always found a way to get at least 2-3 good scoring chances night in night out. He wasn't dominant, but he was playing a solid 5 on 5 game. people looking back saying he was ''beyond garbage'' is just ridiculous. If you want to label him a 3rd liner its fine, but I'd rather consider him a complete top 9 forward that contributes the way you want him to. In his worst games this year I felt he was still one of the best to apply puck pressure and cause turnovers,

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:58 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
A lot of people made good points about how he wasn't great early on, but his offensive contribution was still acceptable, and so was his general play. I never got the feeling that he floated ... I appreciated his passing skills early on and I thought he always found a way to get at least 2-3 good scoring chances night in night out. He wasn't dominant, but he was playing a solid 5 on 5 game. people looking back saying he was ''beyond garbage'' is just ridiculous. If you want to label him a 3rd liner its fine, but I'd rather consider him a complete top 9 forward that contributes the way you want him to. In his worst games this year I felt he was still one of the best to apply puck pressure and cause turnovers,
I agree 100% with this. Wanted to right exactly this, but I thought it would be a waste of time.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:15 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
It's still true. On the forecheck, while he produces some offense lately, he's still pathetic. He's ineffective, skates right next to the player, gives a little tap on his stick and then skates back in the neutral zone. He loses almost every single 1 on 1 battle along the boards, something he was good at earlier in his career. The difference is that he started getting to the net again, and to start off the year, he was just doing those patented weak slappers that ended up on the goalie's chest anyway.

I know a couple of guys here jump on ridiculously small samples to make a point, but Gionta WAS pathetic and was NOT producing offensively earlier this season.

3 goals and 5 assists for 8 points in 18 games is decent numbers in your opinion, for a guy who is paid 5 millions per year? He was not even going to the net anymore.

And stop saying he's contributing even when not producing. In a 2-men forechecking team, Gionta is going to be lost more often than not. He was developed playing anti-hockey with the Devils and learned to trap at his own blueline. Forechecking and putting pressure on a d-man is not natural for him, it will never be, and more likely than not, if he's not traded before the end of his contract, he'll not be re-signed.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:22 PM
905tech
HFBoards Sponsor

He was playing great for a 3rd liner, but he was getting top line minutes, opportunities and PP time.

Some of you guys are acting like he's getting 3rd line minutes and over achieving all season long.

He was getting top line minutes and he was beyond garbage in those minutes, he was a black hole offensively - constantly shooting high and wide, losing puck battles and generally detrimental to the offense.

He's turned it around after the Leafs game.

905tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:24 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkdanielkli View Post
Trade Gionta and 5th round pick for Malkin and Crosby.
2 injury prone, no thanks

plus we pay a 5th round

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:31 PM
LePoche69

Personnaly, I wanted Gionta traded (and still want it) simply because it is better to trade a player one year too soon than one year too late.

Come the deadline, he can still bring back a pretty good return.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote