Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Springfield Flames @ Little Pwagmattasquarmsettport Wild

Old
02-26-2013, 09:49 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Choked not surprisedm hopefully Stajan is ok as he didn't look very good in the 3rd. On the plus side we are only 3 points back of 7th and 4 back of 6th with games in hand.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:50 PM
flameaholic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuattroFTW View Post
That's what we say most nights (except with our goalies obviously)
But you guys are without your #1 center, #1 goaltender, and #1 (Norris Trophy) defenceman.

We're without -->

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:51 PM
TheHudlinator

Last year we were 8 - 9 -1 after 18 games so we have improved by a whole point

Old
02-26-2013, 09:54 PM
flameaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Last year we were 8 - 9 -1 after 18 games so we have improved by a whole point
Unfortunately that one point will still keep us in 9th place.

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MuffinMerc

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
But you guys are without your #1 center, #1 goaltender, and #1 (Norris Trophy) defenceman.

We're without -->
Stajan is still going strong. And your idea that 1 point short will keep us in 9th place: I won't think back to this game. I'll think back to the Chicago game where we had that 1 point stolen from us. And if, somehow, the Flames are 1 point out of a playoff spot, I don't think we'll see that quick rebuild we want.

MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
I'm sick of the Wild already. New opponents, please.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Puck Daddy thinks it's worth a suspension. Video in link.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Unlimited Chequing
Hangin' in the dome

vCash: 5001
MacDonald's the first backup I haven't felt uneasy about since Toskala. He really deserved this.

Unlimited Chequing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:57 PM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

Wow. How on earth did this happen?

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:01 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
Unfortunately that one point will still keep us in 9th place.
We improved by 1 point I don't get how you could complain. This team has had the worst goal tending it has had since 03 (maybe longer) and our point total to start this year isn't even that bad just calm down.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:09 PM
Money Baer
COYS

Countless PP opportunities... 5minute major... Double minor... Pretty pathetic when you let that slide away.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:10 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Terrible performance by the Flames. And I'm getting sick & tired of seeing it every 2nd or 3rd game.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:12 PM
Flames92

I missed this game because of a night class.. I don't even have to look at the highlights to realize the Flames we're off tonight.. No shots on a 5 minute PP? Cmon thats just unacceptable. We're not out of it but going to overtime never seems to go in our favour (unless its vs. Columbus).. Anyways, its nice to see we still have some games in hand, hopefully we can make the most of it. I heard Stajan had a little incident, is he OK?

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:16 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames92 View Post
I missed this game because of a night class.. I don't even have to look at the highlights to realize the Flames we're off tonight.. No shots on a 5 minute PP? Cmon thats just unacceptable. We're not out of it but going to overtime never seems to go in our favour (unless its vs. Columbus).. Anyways, its nice to see we still have some games in hand, hopefully we can make the most of it. I heard Stajan had a little incident, is he OK?
Ragin' Stajan seems to be fine.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:25 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Popping in to say that once I saw the hit on replay (was at work until the 3rd period) and I think it's definitely worth a suspension. He goes way out of his way to hit Stajan long after the puck was gone and in my opinion, even though he makes contact with Stajan's chest at the same time as his head, it's definitely targeting the head. 2-3 games is my guess and I actually hope he does get suspended because that kind of crap needs to stop. Not a good way for a kid to begin his NHL career.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:30 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

After getting zero shots on a 5 min PP, nobody should be surprised at a loss. Kudos to MacDonald who was awesome in this game. The rest of the team just simply **** the bed in a game that showed exactly why the Flames are not a playoff team. Best case scenario this short season is they finish low enough to draft MacKinnon and finally get their center.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:42 PM
Flames92

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
After getting zero shots on a 5 min PP, nobody should be surprised at a loss. Kudos to MacDonald who was awesome in this game. The rest of the team just simply **** the bed in a game that showed exactly why the Flames are not a playoff team. Best case scenario this short season is they finish low enough to draft MacKinnon and finally get their center.
I agree, making the playoffs is possible but its a long reach at this point. Looking at the March schedule is discouraging.. There's a lot of tough match-ups that I don't see us winning and we could sink down the standings real fast.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:46 PM
MuffinMerc

vCash: 291
Quote:
Agreed. Whenever this team seems to be finding their groove we lose it the next game.

MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:48 PM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

Quote:
We're not going to finish that low. We all know that we're gonna scratch and claw and end up a few points out of the dance.

Best hope we have is to win the lottery.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:51 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Honestly, I don't think it is as big of a deal as your making it out to be. Did we have the lead and blow it? Yes, but the way we played we didn't deserve the game it just happens the Wild weren't much better. These are the types of games last year where we would lose 1-0 and get nothing out of it. Not ever night the team is going to look like an all star team but when they have off nights getting a point is huge.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:52 PM
Flames92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post
We're not going to finish that low. We all know that we're gonna scratch and claw and end up a few points out of the dance.

Best hope we have is to win the lottery.
The odds of winning the lottery for the 17th place team is less than 1% if I remember correctly.. Better then nothing i guess

Old
02-26-2013, 11:02 PM
Body Checker

Two Koivu crossbars, the Gio goaline save and MacDonald's incredible save at the end versus our wasted 5 min and 4 min PPs equals me being happy we got a point.

Plus the Wild had what around 6 PPs in regulation and didn't score

But I do agree the lack of urgency on the PP was disconcerting. Too scrambly

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:06 PM
Noori

Part of me really wants Feaster to go out and acquire a center. The other part of me doesn't want to see us give up what little assets we have to patch a leak in a roof that's about to cave in.

Cooler heads seemed to have prevailed so far; Feaster hasn't done anything stupid yet.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:26 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Part of me really wants Feaster to go out and acquire a center. The other part of me doesn't want to see us give up what little assets we have to patch a leak in a roof that's about to cave in.

Cooler heads seemed to have prevailed so far; Feaster hasn't done anything stupid yet.
If we could get a guy like Eller who's position is being taken by other players for cheap(3rd rounder + a prospect like Nemisz) or a guy like Loktionov (I know he was traded but that is the kind of guy we need). If we can get a younger centermen who is struggling for ice time I am behind it as long as we don't sell the farm for B.Richards.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:47 PM
Volica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post

This is a huge fear of mine. If we went ahead and did this a few years back, I really wouldn't have minded. At that time Calgary had a very competitive team that was knocking on the door of being a power house of the West.

Instead bad trades, signings and giving up the future for B/C rate players dropped us pretty low.

At this point of time, it'd be pointless getting a big time center with what little the cupboard contains. On the other hand, if things start going even more south, and Calgary has the chance to pick up an up-and-coming top line center (guys playing second or third fiddle on their respective teams because of depth) for our scoring depth, I'm okay with that.

Flames lacked all kinds of urgency tonight. I know a 1-0 lead is fine when dealing with the Wild nowadays... but man, 9 minutes of Penalties in the late second, mid third should have put a nail in the coffin. Also Giordano, man... how many times is Calgary going to take these boneheaded penalties this year?

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote