HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Erik Cole traded to Dallas Stars for Michael Ryder + 3rd round pick!!

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 09:31 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
Only 1 thread? Minor deal for our standards.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
on the surface, it's hard not to like the deal...

- Cole's 4.5M$ cap hit over the next two years had a big chance of being very cumbersome. It looked that way from the moment he signed the deal, but his bounce back season last year seemed to give hope that he'd be worth it. The way he started this year gave us a good glimpse of just how bad it could get the other way, and with the cap going down, smart move by MB to get rid of that contract

- Ryder is coming off his best season, pts-wise, is off to a very strong start this year, is cheaper right now, is familiar with the team/city/media+fan pressure, and is a UFA at the end of the year so even if it doesn't work out, no strings attached.

- extra 3rd gives us 6 picks in the top-90 of a deep draft... whether we keep them all, use them to move up, or use some in a deadline deal if the need/justification is there, it's a nice asset to have

despite 3 pretty big positives, and having never been a fan of Cole's deal, i'm still a bit about the deal.

Something about getting a guy who is definitely less of a physical presence (not that Cole was imposing) on a team that was finally starting to play without getting pushed around all the time, is a little unsettling.

Hopefully Ryder will fit right in to the PP, and ES I could see him working well with DD/MaxPac, giving the team enough offensive threat to mitigate what we lose in Cole's physical play.

Mostly thought, I'm very intrigued into how this fits into MB's broader plans... assuming Kaberle gets amnestied (or traded?), he'll have a small fortune to spend this offseason... Perry is a habs fan, and certainly would fit both the teams new direction and a long-term top-6 need, do we dare to dream???

Welcome back Ryder, happy trails Erik... Go habs Go

Old
02-26-2013, 09:32 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Alexander
Hey at least I spelled his last name correctly. It's been so long I forgot his first name.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Leo Getz

What a weird deal. Hopefully Ryder redeems himself from his final year by potting many Galchenyuk feeds propelling him to the Calder.

That 3rd is nice.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:39 PM
bib
#believe

Is there a place where I can listen to the Bergevin conference call?

And the Ryder one? (if there is one)

Old
02-26-2013, 09:41 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by bib View Post
Is there a place where I can listen to the Bergevin conference call?

And the Ryder one? (if there is one)
Here is Ryder's conference call:

Old
02-26-2013, 09:41 PM
Habtchum*

Cole was exactly what the Habs needed for so many years.

He was my favourite player last season.

The lockout just killed the chemistry he has with dd and maxpac.

Too bad.

I just hate the timing of the trade. This week is crucial. Could had waited next Monday.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:44 PM
bib
#believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Here is Ryder's conference call:

Oh dear, sounds like he's cracking open the old Jockey Club's again.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:44 PM
bigtimehockeyfan999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
on the surface, it's hard not to like the deal...

- Cole's 4.5M$ cap hit over the next two years had a big chance of being very cumbersome. It looked that way from the moment he signed the deal, but his bounce back season last year seemed to give hope that he'd be worth it. The way he started this year gave us a good glimpse of just how bad it could get the other way, and with the cap going down, smart move by MB to get rid of that contract

- Ryder is coming off his best season, pts-wise, is off to a very strong start this year, is cheaper right now, is familiar with the team/city/media+fan pressure, and is a UFA at the end of the year so even if it doesn't work out, no strings attached.

- extra 3rd gives us 6 picks in the top-90 of a deep draft... whether we keep them all, use them to move up, or use some in a deadline deal if the need/justification is there, it's a nice asset to have

despite 3 pretty big positives, and having never been a fan of Cole's deal, i'm still a bit about the deal.

Something about getting a guy who is definitely less of a physical presence (not that Cole was imposing) on a team that was finally starting to play without getting pushed around all the time, is a little unsettling.

Hopefully Ryder will fit right in to the PP, and ES I could see him working well with DD/MaxPac, giving the team enough offensive threat to mitigate what we lose in Cole's physical play.

Mostly thought, I'm very intrigued into how this fits into MB's broader plans... assuming Kaberle gets amnestied (or traded?), he'll have a small fortune to spend this offseason... Perry is a habs fan, and certainly would fit both the teams new direction and a long-term top-6 need, do we dare to dream???

Welcome back Ryder, happy trails Erik... Go habs Go
this is the second time i've heard this...where have u heard this?

I'm pretty sure dan otoole is a habs fan...and he's from peterborough, which is where perry is from....imagine sportscenter in the mornings if we do get him and otoole is on..."THE PRIDE OF PETERBOROUGH ONTARIO WITH A GOAL!!" he would be so proud

Old
02-26-2013, 09:47 PM
phoque taupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
17 games in "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME SINCE LEADING THE TEAM LAST YEAR AND MENTORING DD/PACIORETTY?"

This is why hab fans are universally panned.
thank you
exactly my thoughts

Old
02-26-2013, 09:47 PM
onice

I liked Cole but I think this is a good trade and i was surprised to hear on l"antichambre that Cole was a high maintenance player- almost a prima donna.

I know what you guys think of the people on that show but they also had Mathieu Darche and he didn't contradict anyone so that would lead me to think there is some truth to it.

I hope Cole rebounds and has a good season but I like this trade. But knowing that Gainey is advising in Dallas my gut feeling is that Cole is finished. Bobsled has been making terrible hockey decisions for a while.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:48 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Getz View Post
What a weird deal. Hopefully Ryder redeems himself from his final year by potting many Galchenyuk feeds propelling him to the Calder.

That 3rd is nice.
Eller Pleks Ryder
Pacioretty DDH Gionta
Prust AGally BGally

Gionta covers up for weakness of Max and DDH on defense. Kid line reunited with their big brother

Old
02-26-2013, 09:50 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
Has anyone figured out if the 3rd rounder we picked up was Dallas' own, or one of the ones they acquired from Edmonton or Minnesota?
I believe it's confirmed to be Dallas' own pick.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:51 PM
DJ Breadman

Ryder is from where i'm from but I find him hard to like due to winning the cup with boston, I hate boston so much

Old
02-26-2013, 09:51 PM
Bieber fever

Our top 6 is weak, small and soft...

Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Paccioretty-DD-Ryder

Old
02-26-2013, 09:52 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treb View Post
Cole was so tough....
He was physical. A power forward. In a team full of Smurfs, let's face it, it comes in handy. In the playoffs when it's important do you want Gallagher in front of the net covering the goalie or Cole?

Old
02-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Weird trade. Don't really see the point of this one...

Old
02-26-2013, 09:55 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
He was physical. A power forward. In a team full of Smurfs, let's face it, it comes in handy.
But the guy is about to mail it. It's not like you can build a team on a guy that might have 2 or 3 seasons left in his body. Ryder might just be here for this season. The way this team will be shape for the future might have nothing to do with acquiring Ryder but everything with getting the cap space and/or the draft picks to build a better and tougher team.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Don't get the negative views of this trade. Cole has been up and down all season, has not been producing, has 2 more years at $4.5M. Ryder is a UFA after this season, has 14 pts in 18 games this year and knows what it takes to play in Montreal. Add the 3rd rounder coming to Montreal and I see only win-win on this one.
You want a negative? How many big, physical skilled forwards does the Habs have. Max Pac, that's it.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:57 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
You want a negative? How many big, physical skilled forwards does the Habs have. Max Pac, that's it.
Lars Eller

Old
02-26-2013, 09:58 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Weird trade. Don't really see the point of this one...
Point was Cole is not getting any younger and is a 4.5mil cap hit.
He's 36 and has always played extreemely tough. Last year was a career year, do you really think at 37 and 38 he would be able to repeat that?

I loved Cole but I think this a great trade.
Ryder WILL help as he's a pure sniper especially on the PP, his contract expires this year which frees up 4.5 mil in cap space add the Kaberle buyout that's close to 9 million.

This was a very calculated move by Bergevin and he got a third pick in the deal as well.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:59 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
But the guy is about to mail it. It's not like you can build a team on a guy that might have 2 or 3 seasons left in his body. Ryder might just be here for this season. The way this team will be shape for the future might have nothing to do with acquiring Ryder but everything with getting the cap space and/or the draft picks to build a better and tougher team.
I get that Ryder is UFA and so forth, but we've been saying for ages that this team is soft and small. Don't trading Cole go against that? Sure he's had a bad start but if we continue to go well, someone like Cole would have been ace in the playoffs.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:00 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Lars Eller
Physical? Eller is as "physical" as Kostistyn was.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
As of now...not a lot. But how the heck can you build a team for the future with so many of those physical tough forwards? Chances are, other teams want to keep those guys. So you will have to draft them or acquire them through UFA....hence trying to have more money to get them whether it's through UFA or trades. So you then have to send away the guys that have played more games than there are games left in their system. Since 2003, look at the number of guys we drafted that are either tough guys or even skilled gritty big guys and you will find out that it was never a priority around here. Let's hope that it is for Bergevin but it takes time to change a mentality and it takes time to form those types of players. One step at a time, we won't be AND succesful AND tough and gritty over 2 or 3 trades.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Plante

I love this.... Is that wrong of me?

Closed Thread