HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXII: Send in the Clowns

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfoot View Post
Wow. Something's happening here. What it is ain't exactly clear. There's a man with a pink slip over there. Telling me that I got to beware.
... Buffalo Springfield fan huh? Great tune that.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:55 PM
Llama19

vCash: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Sure looks like it. Talk about wiping the slate... and ya Llama, Tindalls been absolutely key throughout all of this, since before Moyes even walked into Baums courtroom. Rumour has it as well was that there was a sort of power struggle or play going on between Skeete & Tindall after Beasleys departure. Perhaps thats true, played a part in boths apparently immediate departures.
I'm still waiting on the John Junker and Gary Husk outcomes in court, which was delayed again, today. There will be much more to this story.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:58 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualFan View Post
Sayonara, Craig.
Im gonna miss that guy CF. An absolute master of obfuscation & delay.... perhaps a position over at Colliers' as in-house Council with his old friend & colleague Edouard beckons, awaits.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:00 PM
NODLR
The Dog House

vCash: 883
That was such a touching montage.

Not...

Old
02-26-2013, 10:01 PM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

All joking aside, what does the housecleaning in Glendale do with regards to the Coyotes situation other than indicate that the new council will not stand for the Tindall/Beasley/Skeete show anymore?

Old
02-26-2013, 10:04 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Ya, Crazy like a Fox if the Yotes do wind up in Quebec City assigned to the Western Conference. Heck, about 50% of the population in places like Banff, Canmore, Invermere, Fernie, Kelowna, Whistler... ex-Quebecer's. Pretty sure if given their druthers, held a referendum like and asked Quebecer's "if we could magically relocate the entire city to lets say somewhere nice in Beautiful BC, buildings & all, would you vote yes or no"? Done. Outta there. Bye bye Montreal. No love lost either.... but seriously, its just a minor detail easily remedied if not immediately at some point down the road, and I simply cannot see the NHL just "parking" the franchise any longer in Glendale awaiting either Quebec or Seattles new arenas to come on-line. Something will be done this spring for sure. Its just all beyond being tenable any longer.
They would probably just move Detroit back to the west.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:09 PM
Llama19

vCash: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfoot View Post
All joking aside, what does the housecleaning in Glendale do with regards to the Coyotes situation other than indicate that the new council will not stand for the Tindall/Beasley/Skeete show anymore?
It's a power grab by the Mayor...

He wants to become attorney/city manager/arena manager/concessions manager/entertainment manager/education arena manager (you know, for graduations)... did I leave anything out?

Old
02-26-2013, 10:14 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
I'm still waiting on the John Junker and Gary Husk outcomes in court, which was delayed again, today. There will be much more to this story.
Ya, you guys have all the fun down there... Canary yellow blazered red nosed gladhander Johnny Junker. A real Swell. Amongst other things, charges the Fiesta Bowl over twelve hundred bucks for an afternoon in a Phoenix strip joint (thats a lot of $5 bills Johnny, claimed he was there on business as "thats where all the football players hangout") along with $33,000+ spent on his 50th birthday party at Pebble Beach or somewhere semi-exotic & expensive. Neither had absolutely anything whatsoever to do with business and just the tip of the iceberg. Just incredible.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:18 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
One from Quebec City, one from Seattle, one from Hamilton, and one from Markham?
That was my thinking too.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:32 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Appears to be to some degree. Consolidating & centralizing authority....

Old
02-26-2013, 10:39 PM
blues10

Craig will be missed. He provided hours of entertainment.

I am sensing that the forthcoming audit could potentiallly reveal some wrongdoing and the new council wants to be well separated from Mr. Tindall and his ways. Pure speculations.

I gather Criag can defend himself in future indictments if they come.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:43 PM
aqib

So basically everyone connected with the initial deal to bring the Coyotes to Glendale and all but 2 people who supported the continued deals to keep them there (Martinez and Knaack) are gone. Does that sum it up?

Old
02-26-2013, 10:44 PM
blues10

Quote:

He wants to become attorney/city manager/arena manager/concessions manager/entertainment manager/education arena manager (you know, for graduations)... did I leave anything out?
Can he manage all those Idol thingies the kiddies like?

Speaking of arena management how is GJ's continued purchase of the Coyotes. Still no powerball win?

Old
02-26-2013, 10:47 PM
Hull and Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Four?
Why yes, four indeed.

I still think that guy on the left is scary.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:59 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull and Oates View Post
I still think that guy on the left is scary.
Coulrophobia; Fear of Clowns. Much more
common & pervasive than one might think.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:35 AM
JimAnchower

Quote:
Paul Giblin ‏@PaulGiblinAriz
In other news, #Glendale Mayor Weiers said four potential #Coyotes bidders are still asking questions. None have made offers to city or NHL.
Well, "Are you kidding me?" and "Do you think I'm crazy?" are questions.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:39 AM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
So basically everyone connected with the initial deal to bring the Coyotes to Glendale and all but 2 people who supported the continued deals to keep them there (Martinez and Knaack) are gone. Does that sum it up?
Not really surprising. When things go south ( no pun intended ) because of grandeous plans from the previous administration, the new politicians coming in will usually clean house.

Big Cadillacs heading out to the desert in the wee hours, bags full of lime, holes being dug... you get the idea...

Old
02-27-2013, 10:06 AM
Tinalera

Some major housecleaning going on out in the desert.

Sounds like, as others have said, new mayorality wanting to distance themselves are far as possible from the previous group. Sounds like an exclamation mark being put out by the mayor that any buyers of the Yotes probably shouldn't be expecting much if anything in the way of handouts-I know this was said before, but getting rid of those connected to the previous deal I think sends a message to potential buyers.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:09 AM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
One would think that Martinez and Knaack are beginning to feel like they are in enemy territory now. I'm also wondering what their thoughts are-particularly Knaack's) when they made that vote to okay the (now defunct) deal-Knaack was seeing it as a tiebreaker, and now that it's all gone south and with audit coming up, if she's doing alot of "woulda's and shoulda's"

Old
02-27-2013, 10:29 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

There isnt anything of weight being reported about the resignation, just a couple of short paragraphs. A statement supposedly forthcoming today. Assistant City Attorney Deborah Robberson apparently filling Tindalls seat at last nights Council Meeting. Couple of quotes;

Seriously, I think Im going to cry.
Yvonne Knack

What I dont like are people who wanted him gone hiding behind a veil that said were going in a different direction.

Gary Sherwood

Old
02-27-2013, 10:31 AM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Some interesting quotes starting to come out

From The Republic (Paul Giblin)

Quote:
Weiers said he asked Tindall to resign a day earlier, citing a need to move in a different, more business-friendly, direction.

“Seriously, I’m going to cry,” Vice Mayor Yvonne Knaack said after the meeting.

Councilman Gary Sherwood said, “What I don’t like are the people who wanted him to be gone hiding behind a veil that said we’re going a different direction.”
http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...signation.html

So where is this all going? Sherwood's comments above translate to there being a reason why he was "asked" to resign. The ongoing strife, as alledged by the BPAC, between he and Skeete? Well, if the approval to go forth with Murray and Associates to execute the search for a new City Manager was given last nite, then it seems Skeete is on the outs too. It seems they are abandoning the "merit system" to promote Skeete from acting to actually being the City Manager. You don't spend $28K in due diligence fees just to seed the field in the guise of Equal Oppportunity afforded.

The key phrase here, and ongoing, is "Business Friendly". What would Tindall have been doing, done, or relied upon to do that would be deemed not "Business Friendly"?

Using CF's phrase of "wattage", I'm begining to wonder if the wattage may increase over these speculations of Beacon Sports Capital being involved, in my opinion. But what's weird is, and knowing the history, even though Beasley and Tindall's marks were all over the last dealings with Beacon, if Beacon is the buffer for any and all tire kickers, why was Tindall asked to leave?

Truly going to be interesting, as this saga seemingly will never end.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:05 AM
cbcwpg

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Do...851/story.html

A couple of comments from Doan....

"You become callous," he allowed before Tuesday night's 4-2 win over the Vancouver Canucks. "It's frustrating and it's disappointing. I was as disappointed as anyone when this last one (ownership deal) fell through. But at the same time, we sold out at home on a Monday night (against Calgary). The fans are with us if we could find a way to get this thing sorted out. "I'm always going to remain optimistic and positive. There's no other way to approach it."

And one interesting comment from the reporter....

Sorry, if you can't make a deal fly when the city is throwing in $308 million - and one of the holdups was, reportedly, Jamison wanted a 25-per-cent ownership stake for putting this all together - then you've got real problems. The arena management stipend is now off the table, which means the next guy will have to negotiate his own deal with Glendale.

So, Jamison didn't have the funds himself to buy the team, but for doing all the legwork and bringing people together, he wanted 25% of ownership. No wonder this deal died. If I'm the one investing all the cash, I'm the owner, not the guy who made all the phone calls. Maybe I give Jamison the president's job and a good salary, but 25% ownership... not unless Jamison is supplying 25% of the funds..

Old
02-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
Truly going to be interesting, as this saga seemingly will never end.
No idea either M4B, but again speculating; if as suggested elsewhere there was a power struggle going on between Skeete & Tindall subsequent to Beasleys' departure then obviously that would result in further dysfunction, oars being pulled in opposite directions, not serving the City well, decidedly fractious.

Again speculating, is Beacon acting as point in negotiations or does Jerry Weiers have his hand on that wheel? If so, is he completely up to speed on things, how could a career politician possibly be so and authoritatively command the situation having had absolutely no experience or background in such circles of endeavour? Did Horatio Skeete award a contract (if they are even back in the picture) to act as "Agent" to Beacon of his own volition, paying them a retainer under the thresholds requiring Council Approval following Beasleys lead, or did he do so at Weiers behest?

And why Beacon, with its ties to Kaites/Reinsdorf and past performance (lack thereof) record? Why not someone else, say SportsCorp or whomever, fresh sets of eyes? Whats the status of the RFP's for Arena Management? How does the AMUL the COG signed with the NHL pursuant to Arena Management with 8yrs left to run on it affect that? Is it possible that any tendering of an offer for Arena Management Services could be derailed whereby the winning bidder suddenly finds himself confronted with having to go through the league & compensating them for breaking the AMUL? Is the City on the hook in any way? Does the removal of the team negate & void the AMUL or are there clauses therein that are enforceable?... so many questions.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:49 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Do...851/story.html

A couple of comments from Doan....

"You become callous," he allowed before Tuesday night's 4-2 win over the Vancouver Canucks. "It's frustrating and it's disappointing. I was as disappointed as anyone when this last one (ownership deal) fell through. But at the same time, we sold out at home on a Monday night (against Calgary). The fans are with us if we could find a way to get this thing sorted out. "I'm always going to remain optimistic and positive. There's no other way to approach it."

And one interesting comment from the reporter....

Sorry, if you can't make a deal fly when the city is throwing in $308 million - and one of the holdups was, reportedly, Jamison wanted a 25-per-cent ownership stake for putting this all together - then you've got real problems. The arena management stipend is now off the table, which means the next guy will have to negotiate his own deal with Glendale.

So, Jamison didn't have the funds himself to buy the team, but for doing all the legwork and bringing people together, he wanted 25% of ownership. No wonder this deal died. If I'm the one investing all the cash, I'm the owner, not the guy who made all the phone calls. Maybe I give Jamison the president's job and a good salary, but 25% ownership... not unless Jamison is supplying 25% of the funds..
This was a point that I think was too often neglected in discussions about Jamison's bid - he wasn't putting in the money, so it all depended on who he would work for, and on what terms. That's why it always puzzled me that Glendale didn't get more active in forcing Jamison to reveal who the "owner" would be. If they had that information, perhaps they could have cut a deal without Jamison's involvement. It's a lot to ask investors to give up a 25% stake in an overpriced and money-losing asset when you have to pay the freight.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:14 PM
NHLfan4life
Who is PKP???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
This was a point that I think was too often neglected in discussions about Jamison's bid - he wasn't putting in the money, so it all depended on who he would work for, and on what terms. That's why it always puzzled me that Glendale didn't get more active in forcing Jamison to reveal who the "owner" would be. If they had that information, perhaps they could have cut a deal without Jamison's involvement. It's a lot to ask investors to give up a 25% stake in an overpriced and money-losing asset when you have to pay the freight.
I was just discussing this last night with a friend. Maybe that's why GJ didn't want to say who the investors were just in case the CoG wanted to negotiate behind his back and cut him out of the deal.

I'm not surprised by that revalation and the 25% but it would seem that they'd be able to put another deal together quickly if they were that close.

Closed Thread