HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Winger Acquisition Thread | Part V: Wingers in the Hands of an Angry (Hockey) God

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 05:31 PM
WarriorScholar

vCash: 500
I am very glad some moves are being made though. Lets get this started. 35 days away.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:31 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnomnomnom View Post
So I guess Ryder is not an option anymore, lol.
damn now I have to update the big board.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:33 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
damn now I have to update the big board.
Gagne too, yup.

OMG OPTIONS RUNNING OUUUUUT

Old
02-26-2013, 05:35 PM
Jag68Sid87

Hmm, a hockey trade. Winger for winger. Hmm.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:41 PM
WarriorScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Kennedy for Jagr.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:42 PM
Omnomnomnom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
Kennedy for Jagr.
That would be pretty hilarious.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:42 PM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

Quote:
Right now Lebrun says the Habs are also getting a draft pick, that has to be the other way around. Ryder + pick for Eric Cole is a horrible trade. The only way this trade makes any sense is if the Stars are getting a good draft pick in return.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Serious Man View Post
Right now Lebrun says the Habs are also getting a draft pick, that has to be the other way around. Ryder + pick for Eric Cole is a horrible trade. The only way this trade makes any sense is if the Stars are getting a good draft pick in return.
I'm guessing the pick is conditional on Ryder re-signing with Montreal.

Cole was no longer interested in playing in Montreal. It was painfully obvious this season. I'm not a fan of his. He seems like a guy who plays hockey because it's his meal ticket, not because he thoroughly loves it. And he didn't like the new CBA. And he hinted at retirement just coming out of the lockout. Like, WTF dude?

Ryder back in Montreal is pretty funny. He was on the third line this season so he was likely on the outs as well. I don't remember if Cole ever played regularly with Ray Whitney in Carolina, but that combination may work out for Dallas.

I can see why the Stars did this, because they feel like they won't be able to attract free agents for a while (the new ownership hasn't been in there long), so they went after a guy with term for a UFA. Plus they got bigger.

Still, I feel the winner of this deal is the team that relieves their salary cap a bit, and that's Montreal.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:54 PM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

Quote:
I'm guessing the pick is conditional on Ryder re-signing with Montreal.

Cole was no longer interested in playing in Montreal. It was painfully obvious this season. I'm not a fan of his. He seems like a guy who plays hockey because it's his meal ticket, not because he thoroughly loves it. And he didn't like the new CBA. And he hinted at retirement just coming out of the lockout. Like, WTF dude?

Ryder back in Montreal is pretty funny. He was on the third line this season so he was likely on the outs as well. I don't remember if Cole ever played regularly with Ray Whitney in Carolina, but that combination may work out for Dallas.

I can see why the Stars did this, because they feel like they won't be able to attract free agents for a while (the new ownership hasn't been in there long), so they went after a guy with term for a UFA. Plus they got bigger.

Still, I feel the winner of this deal is the team that relieves their salary cap a bit, and that's Montreal.
Confirmed that it's Ryder + 3rd for Cole. The Habs got the better player, a pick, and some extra cap space.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:57 PM
Jeremyisgood

Would be nice to have Shero fleece another winger off Newy before he's fired.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:05 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
Because I care what Troy Brouwer says v
\_/ My care cup is empty.

"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Old
02-26-2013, 06:09 PM
Omnomnomnom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremyisgood View Post
Would be nice to have Shero fleece another winger off Newy before he's fired.
I'm getting the feeling that robbing Newy blind wasn't quite the accomplishment we've been led to believe it was...

Old
02-26-2013, 06:20 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
The inclusion of the pick is a bit weird...but that trade isn't half as bad as people are making it out to be.

Ryder is a UFA at the end of the season and it was apparent he wasn't going to be returning to Dallas. Cole has two years left on his deal after this season. That's not necessarily the deal I'd be looking to make if I'm Dallas, but the argument can be made that they're similar value players and the third rounder is basically payment for Cole's other two seasons...I just don't think the pick was necessary since Cole probably isn't going to be worth $4.5 million a year for another 2 1/2 years.

The weird thing to me is that Montreal wanted Ryder back. His worst season in the NHL was as a Canadien.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
02-26-2013, 06:22 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Philthy getting back Gagne for only a 4TH rounder seems like a bit of a steal. Wouldn't have minded Gagne in a Pens uniform.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:26 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
The inclusion of the pick is a bit weird...but that trade isn't half as bad as people are making it out to be.

Ryder is a UFA at the end of the season and it was apparent he wasn't going to be returning to Dallas. Cole has two years left on his deal after this season. That's not necessarily the deal I'd be looking to make if I'm Dallas, but the argument can be made that they're similar value players and the third rounder is basically payment for Cole's other two seasons...I just don't think the pick was necessary since Cole probably isn't going to be worth $4.5 million a year for another 2 1/2 years.

The weird thing to me is that Montreal wanted Ryder back. His worst season in the NHL was as a Canadien.
He won't last there, Habs fans hated him...he'll be gone again by the deadline

Old
02-26-2013, 06:27 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticBirdman View Post
Philthy getting back Gagne for only a 4TH rounder seems like a bit of a steal. Wouldn't have minded Gagne in a Pens uniform.
Would've been nice on the PP and with Sid

Old
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post

it was essentially a trade to shut the fans up for a little while. Naturally the fact that he scored over 30 goals last season means very little.

Old
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
I was thinking that, but I didn't want to say that and be wrong. I could have sworn I remembered Ryder being reviled by Habs fans.

When he's not scoring goals he's useless.

Quote:
it was essentially a trade to shut the fans up for a little while. Naturally the fact that he scored over 30 goals last season means very little.
Both players scored a career high 35 goals last year after previously posting a career high of 30. Their stat lines throughout their careers are pretty similar, the difference is that Ryder has seasons where he's been atrocious and Cole has missed a bunch of time because of injuries.

Ryder seems like a more likable guy than Cole, but that's not saying anything.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:29 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Possibly but the coach is different now so maybe he'll be a better fit there. Montreal can't lose this deal, imo. They get a pick, a decent player and have dumped a fairly big salary beyond this season.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:29 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Would've been nice on the PP and with Sid
He's also good defensively and can play both wing and center...

Old
02-26-2013, 06:33 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
The expectation is that Therrien will change him. I'm willing to watch optimistically.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:38 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
He's also good defensively and can play both wing and center...
Just need a great scoring winger, the fact he can play defensively is amazing too...just hope he doesn't catch on fire.

As per Ryder:

I like the guy, but I really don't see the fans receiving him well and it might translate to the ice

Old
02-26-2013, 07:24 PM
Honour Over Glory

I removed myself from that Pens-Dallas trade thread, but I do remember Ryder being a guy that was supposedly worth a 1st rounder and a prospect or just a 1st.

LOL, he goes for Cole, who is a shell of his former self and the Stars had to give up a 3rd to get him. Funny, this place and arm chair gm's trying to analyze value. I love it when that player gets moved and it's nothing like what they thought they'd get.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:29 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
I removed myself from that Pens-Dallas trade thread, but I do remember Ryder being a guy that was supposedly worth a 1st rounder and a prospect or just a 1st.

LOL, he goes for Cole, who is a shell of his former self and the Stars had to give up a 3rd to get him. Funny, this place and arm chair gm's trying to analyze value. I love it when that player gets moved and it's nothing like what they thought they'd get.
It makes me wonder what the **** kind of algorithms they use for NHL 13, because that trade will NEVER happen.

Old
02-26-2013, 10:36 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
Glad shero didn't do a move like this to me its just wasting cap room. BTW since allot of u talk **** on shero for not signing Semin here is a quote from his former teammate Troy Brouwer. I'd rather have TK on this team then Semin and i hate TK

When asked if Semin’s unpredictable play and inconsistency was frustrating as a teammate, Brouwer went even further.

(Mike Carlson/Associated Press)

“Some nights you didn’t even know if he was gonna come to the rink,” Brouwer said. “It’s tough to play alongside guys like those because you don’t know what you’re gonna get out of ‘em.”
The Carolina Hurricanes say 'hi' and 'thanks' (4g, 10a, +10):

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...min-capitals-/

“As a person, as a player, we can’t ask for any more,” Hurricanes captain Eric Staal said. “He’s been bringing it for practice and games and competing well. He’s been a lot of fun to play with. He’s a good player that obviously thinks on an elite level.”

After building up a reputation with the Caps of being a supremely talented winger with inconsistency in his game and his habits, Semin is making the most of a fresh start in Carolina. Not only has he produced, but the 28-year-old has endeared himself to teammates and coach Kirk Muller.

“I don’t know where he’s getting this rep from, but he’s been working hard and doing a lot of good things,” Hurricanes center Jordan Staal said. “Obviously everyone knows that he’s talented, but I think that he does have that work ethic that not everyone sees. He’s a great teammate. He’s done so many good things for our team.”

Closed Thread