HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Should we be surprised by Jeff Carter?

Old
02-26-2013, 09:30 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

vCash: 500
Im not surprised. When he would get hot he was a great goal scorer. The problem was he is one of the most inconsistant players ive ever seen. When things arent going right for him hes just floating around. He frustrates you to no end. One game hell look unstoppable the next game hell miss burying an open net shot that would of decided the game. I miss richie more than most flyer fans, even though id still trade him for what we did. I sure am glad we didnt have carter for 11 years tho, incredibly frustrating.

I wont be surprised though in two weeks when kings fan are pulling their hair out at how useless he looks. Its really odd how this guy dissapears sometimes.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:30 PM
DumpyD

The perception toward Carter was started by negative Flyers and Blue Jackets fans, then mob think mentality kicked in and he became a drunk, a crybaby, and a slacker pretty much across the board.

The only people who should be surprised by Jeff Carter are those who were stupid enough to buy into the claims mentioned above.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Now that he's healthy and in the best physical condition of his career, Carter can really fly. He has a burst of speed that can help separate him from defenders, and his two-way game is very unheralded.

He's very good at stealing pucks and always seems to be in the right position to get the puck. Very smart player at both ends of the ice. Not sure why Flyers fans were so hard on him when he was with them (I understand why Jackets fans are upset however), but Carter has been the best forward on the Kings.
Multitude of reasons:

I. He was viewed as a player who never stepped up in the playoffs.

Example A:

Would have given the Flyers a 3-1 lead with less than 10 minutes left. Pens tied it, and won it in OT on a Guerin GWG. Pens went up 2-0 in the series instead of being tied 1-1 going back to Philly.

Example B:

Would have put the Flyers up a goal with a little over a minute left in game 6 against the Hawks. A chance to push the game to game 7, and he blew it. Wide open net but he waited too long to release the puck.

II. He had the body to dominate physically but never did. Much like JvR, and it was maddening for a lot of fans. He's not "soft", but he has the frame to be a horse and he doesn't play that game. Mike Richards, on the other hand, was the antithesis of Carter and we often wondered why Carter couldn't play like that (to a lesser degree, even).

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:35 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Multitude of reasons:

Example A:

Would have given the Flyers a 3-1 lead with less than 10 minutes left. Pens tied it, and won it in OT on a Guerin GWG. Pens went up 2-0 in the series instead of being tied 1-1 going back to Philly.

Example B:

Would have put the Flyers up a goal with a little over a minute left in game 6 against the Hawks. A chance to push the game to game 7, and he blew it. Wide open net but he waited too long to release the puck.

II. He had the body to dominate physically but never did. Much like JvR, and it was maddening for a lot of fans. He's not "soft", but he has the frame to be a horse and he doesn't play that game. Mike Richards, on the other hand, was the antithesis of Carter and we often wondered why Carter couldn't play like that (to a lesser degree, even).
Exactly. It always seemed like he would inflate his stats in games that didnt matter. Obviously thats not the case for his whole career, but the guy is just not a clutch player. Queue the stanley cup ot goal last year thats one goal, in 7 years with the flyers the guy was non existent.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Reclamation Project
Registered Ruiner

Carter is a stud and is exactly what the Kings needed. I have no character questions. He arrived at camp in the best shape out of any Kings player, is consistently looking better and better, and has 9 goals this season (I didn't add the 10th because it was a blowout, after all ) I'm not surprised at all. His speed is very deceptive and his wrist shot is godly. As a complimentary player on the Kings and outside of the media spotlight, he'll go places. Like this thread...

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:39 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
Exactly. It always seemed like he would inflate his stats in games that didnt matter. Obviously thats not the case for his whole career, but the guy is just not a clutch player. Queue the stanley cup ot goal last year thats one goal, in 7 years with the flyers the guy was non existent.
Well, he led the playoffs in goals with 8 last year, and had 2 GWG in the SCF.

He looked dangerous after the first round, when his ankle was hurt.

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The comments by some Flyers fans goes to show you how unfairly critical they are of Carter, blaming one player for their failures. You guys crack me up.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:42 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
Maybe that's a Philadelphia problem. Ever since he got here he's done the exact opposite. Stat inflation has been pretty rare, clutch goals have been normal.

Pile on mentality likely does have quite a bit to do with it. Does he deserve a bad rap as a person for what happened in Columbus, I guess if you think so. As a player, hell no. The guy is a great goal scorer and the Kings haven't had a player like him in a long time. We have been able to count on him having great games and burying pucks.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:42 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
The comments by some Flyers fans goes to show you how unfairly critical they are of Carter, blaming one player for their failures. You guys crack me up.
You wanted to know why some Flyers fans weren't his biggest supporters, so I gave you the two biggest reasons why.

He's a good player, and the vast majority can attest to that (especially his goal scoring ability), but Jeff "high and wide" Carter (a nickname he was given long before he was traded) was a big point of discussion even before the trade.

Those two points were a very frustrating thing about him. Good player, yes, but he didn't endear himself the way Richards did.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:46 PM
CNS
A World Alone

I think if there's ANYTHING to be surprised about, it's that he's been the Kings best player. If you ever denied his goal scoring ability, you're a fool. He's just been flat out great this year, and that's even with being transition back to center for a while.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:51 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Multitude of reasons:

Example A:

Example B:

LOL. You're actually putting videos of 2 great saves and giving those examples of Carter not stepping up in the playoffs?

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:54 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
What exactly do you mean? That there's no quotes about the level of play Carter brought to Columbus? Some Columbus fans should comment on that. It would be interesting to hear what they have to say about his play there during half of the season.
Largely awful. I've said for months that he basically showed up and put in something resembling effort in about 6 games out of 39.

Quote:
Wasn't he injured for most of the season with the Jackets? He also netted 15 goals and 29 points in 35 games on a very bad team. Pretty good numbers for a slacker.
39 games, not 35. And 6 of those goals were concentrated into two hat trick games, meaning that he had 9 goals in 37 other games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
carters level of play was at a 30 goal pace...the same pace he is putting up now.

CBJ fans just want to ***** and moan about all their problems being dumped onto one player unfairly. He put forth the same effort as nash did and no one got on him.
Oh, what a bunch of crap.

First off, every team has a whipping boy. And you know what? The CBJ one last year wasn't Carter, it was Aaron Johnson. Our whipping boys are based entirely on their on-ice play, not on their off-ice shenanigans. Carter, though, was a close second. We can forgive bad players for playing badly, but not good players for floating through game after game after game.

Second, Nash went through 8 years in Columbus and always performed more often than not. Don't think that the "Rick Nash is a lazy floater" mentality existed only outside of Columbus; there were plenty of CBJ fans who felt the same way. And if there was ever someone who could be excused for burning out from being the only top player on a perennially-middling team, it was Rick Nash. Carter didn't come close to Nash's effort on a regular basis. The longtime player who's suffered has the ability to be forgiven; the new guy can't be.

The fact that Carter suddenly looked like an All-Star in the playoffs last year and in the first third of this year (y'know, which he'd done previously) seems to bear out the fact that he floated his way through Columbus.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:57 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
LOL. You're actually putting videos of 2 great saves and giving those examples of Carter not stepping up in the playoffs?
A goal scorer of Carter's ilk should definitely finish those goals.

So you're saying you wouldn't be pissed if your supposed top sniper didn't finish a golden chance to send your team to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals?

Old
02-26-2013, 09:59 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
There is probably negativity towards him for throwing a hissy fit because he got traded to Columbus. Yes, Columbus sucked, but his bad attitude attributed to that.
I said this a few months ago.

Quote:
How many hockey players actually sit around and pout instead of putting on their big boy pants and acting like, y'know, an adult? In the last 25 years, I can think of an extremely small number. There was Craig Janney in 1994. There was Alexei Yashin in 1999 during one of his many contract disputes. There was Bernie Nicholls in 1991; he said he wouldn't report to Edmonton because his wife was having a difficult pregnancy, then said he wouldn't report at all. I don't count Lindros; he just never signed a contract with Quebec.

You know what all of them did? They got the hell over their hurt feelings and played. Even the gutless wonder Alexei Yashin, who missed an entire season due to an idiotic move on his part, went back to the city where he had become universally reviled and played at an extremely high level.

99% of trades are made with no problems because players on both sides act like adults. And even in the cases listed above, where there was some type of an issue that may or may not have prompted hard feelings, the player grew a pair and played like they were supposed to. But no, apparently Jeff Carter is too good for that. He's the one guy who's entitled to pout and act like a child, then sleepwalk through his entire tenure in a new city.
Quote:
I'll also add in Scott Stevens, who thought he was a St. Louis Blue for life and then was on the move a year later to a poorly-run New Jersey team. He sucked it up, put in a full effort, and three years later was a Stanley Cup champion.

If you don't remember it, look it up. Stevens went to St. Louis as an RFA. He had a four-year contract, and looked to be a mainstay there for years. He was named captain upon the deal going through, made the All-Star team, you name it. A year later, he went to New Jersey as compensation for the Blues signing Brendan Shanahan. This was in 1991.

At the time, Kirk Muller had just walked out during training camp. Stevens said that there was obviously too much disunity and ineptitude to want to play there, and the team was 7 years past the infamous "Mickey Mouse organization" statements and was still spinning their wheels (albeit at a slightly higher level). He threatened to sue, he threatened to retire, and he threatened to not report. He finally dropped all of that and reported three weeks later (Carter was absent three days).

The rest is history. Stevens became captain less than a year in, taking it from Bruce Driver (who'd been there since the beginning), and three years later was the one to be first handed the Stanley Cup.

Found some quotes from archived articles, from when Stevens reported:
Stevens: "I have nothing against New Jersey. It was an arbitrators' decision and I got caught in the middle of it."
Rick Bennett (Stevens' agent and lawyer): "(Stevens was) like a piece of a chess set without regard to what he wanted."

Old
02-26-2013, 10:01 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
PLEASE stop.... These are the two most frustrating goals ive ever seen. That penguins game he missed that goal and pens came back and won it in OT. If carter buries that series tied 1-1 going back to philly pitt might not have even got past us....

Little things like this where he would fail to capitalize would turn the tides of games, and ultimately our season(s). I dont think hes a dick for *****ing his way out of columbus, i think hes a dick for his awful play for flyers when push came to shove

Old
02-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Cruel11
Harley Quinn

Ah the Carter hate.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:23 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

He's really fast. Almost as fast as Voynov.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:26 PM
RussianRocket10

I'm not surprised. He's a good player with a lethal wrist shot.

RussianRocket10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:28 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
He's really fast. Almost as fast as Voynov.
Almost like he's wearing....nothin' at all! Nothin' at all! Nothin' at all!

Old
02-26-2013, 10:36 PM
Eternal Sunshine

Quote:
That chance against Niemi was horribly played, and ruined the Flyers opportunity to take the series to 7 games. I don't think you're going to get a better visual than that.

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:36 PM
Omni Owl
Dual Negative

He's been damn good for us. Much rather have him at this point than Johnson, who never really lived up to the hype here, being overshadowed by Doughty and made obsolete by Voynov...

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:49 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
carters level of play was at a 30 goal pace...the same pace he is putting up now.

CBJ fans just want to ***** and moan about all their problems being dumped onto one player unfairly. He put forth the same effort as nash did and no one got on him.
To use some stats. He played for the Jackets 28 games in a row without recording a single goddamnit hit! Now he already has 18 hits in 33 games as a King.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:53 PM
Roman Reigns

Quote:
He shot that puck right into Niemi. WTF were you watching?

Roman Reigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:00 PM
HookKing

Not sure I get that "high and wide" reference. Certainly his shot is anything but -- they barely get more than a foot off the ice -- low and hard.

HookKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:03 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Funny how some unobservant posters fail to notice that Brian Campbell actually makes a terrific defensive play to prevent Carter from scoring on Niemi in the second example. Watch Campbell's stick, that little contact made by him prevented Carter from following through with his shot. But hey, don't let logical reasoning get in the way of ignorance.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote