HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Simon Gagne from LAK for conditional pick (reported: PHX's 4th or Flyers 3rd in '13)

Old
02-27-2013, 12:05 AM
achdumeingute

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qyburn View Post
Backstrom and Smith are the only good options there. I'm far from sold on Emery's rebirth, I wouldn't even consider TT, and I'm honestly not even all that sure about Smith. He and Backstrom will likely be as difficult to acquire as Weber and Suter.

I get your philosophy and it's not a bad one, but when your choices are limited or barely existent, 7 years/5.4 is a whole lot better than Leighton and Boucher.
Also Nabokov and Theodore. LA, STL, OTT all have goalies that are too good to be AHL/or riding the pine.

We cannot let fear of the unknown let us miss this golden opportunity to clear this nasty contract that will be just AWFUL 3 years from now.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:16 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
I like Backstrom a lot, but Smith and Emery should be no and no. Any goalie PHX plugs into their system will be good, and Emery is a product of a great team.
Smith was good before he joined Phoenix. And there's plenty of capable goalies playing in Europe, you just need to scout them right. Let's not act as if the NHL has this perfect system of getting only the best goalies and leaving the rest for lesser leagues. You might make this argument for skaters, but with goalies there's too much of being in the right place at the right time involved to even consider this.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:16 AM
freakydallas13

is there a reason pronger isnt on the ltir yet?

freakydallas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:22 AM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Smith was good before he joined Phoenix. And there's plenty of capable goalies playing in Europe, you just need to scout them right. Let's not act as if the NHL has this perfect system of getting only the best goalies and leaving the rest for lesser leagues. You might make this argument for skaters, but with goalies there's too much of being in the right place at the right time involved to even consider this.
Smith was good depending on the year. But I agree with you about goalies in Europe. The Ducks are benefiting from European scouting right now with Viktor Fasth.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:24 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakydallas13 View Post
Because we were not over the cap until today and we have no other salary that necessitates us to put him on LTIR.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:26 AM
GTopCheese

Quote:
There might be an issue with buying him out if we put him on the LTIR, I think...

GTopCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:33 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTopCheese View Post
There might be an issue with buying him out if we put him on the LTIR, I think...
He can't be bought out because he is injured....Regardless of LTIR status...

Old
02-27-2013, 12:42 AM
Qyburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
I like Backstrom a lot, but Smith and Emery should be no and no. Any goalie PHX plugs into their system will be good, and Emery is a product of a great team.
Exactly my thoughts 100%. And Emery hasn't really been that impressive at all. Throw out his 8 games this year obviously. That leaves last year, 2.81. Sounds like the same old Emery to me.

I don't think anyone can say for sure about Smith but that's the way I'm leaning. His numbers for Tampa were awful, I don't know what that poster was talking about. I followed him closely then when he was right on the cusp of fantasy relevance. Overall though I'll include him as a viable option.

And I didn't know Nabokov's contract was expiring. I'd definitely add him as a 3rd option. Whatever team effects Chicago and Phoenix have on their goalies, the Islanders could have the opposite effect on him. Chicago=flat out loaded, Phoenix=phenomenal defensive system, Islanders=cursed.

That still only makes 3 (in my view). If you're pretty sure you can get one, it's worth at least considering amnesty. If not, I think it's out of the question.

Qyburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:46 AM
LegionOfDoom91

The way I see it is it can't be any worse than the Boosh/Leighton tandem, right?

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:53 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
And the Homer lovers are already thinking of excuses to use if it happens.

He will deserve his blame on this one if it happens. Personally I look at the good and bad when it comes to Homer. I was just saying the Haters stick out more than the defenders. Look back a few pages at the guy complaining about Homer giving up a 4th round pick as an example.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:27 AM
ahthorne

Our goaltending woes should not be touched by a free agency signing unless it's a short-term thing. I am 100% behind using assets and going and acquiring a young goaltender. Nobody who will cost a lot, but look at what Ottawa did in acquiring Ben Bishop. A 2nd round pick in a draft that was 2 years away or something at the time. Seems like a good investment...

Speaking of Ben Bishop, that's who I'd go after... if only his value didn't shoot waaaay up over the past week(s). Jake Allen and that Nilstorp kid look good too.

ahthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:31 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
wb Gagne. Took him 2 1/2 years but Holmgren righted a wrong. Good price at a conditional 4th.
I am really happy with this news. He was one of my favorites when he was here and I was really ticked off when they traded him for a pile of garbage.
yes he isnt the same player he used to be. But hes still is a good skater and can kill penalties. I know I get on Holmgren for trading draft picks for rentals but this is a good move.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 02-27-2013 at 01:49 AM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:28 AM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
wb Gagne. Took him 2 1/2 years but Holmgren righted a wrong. Good price at a conditional 4th.
I am really happy with this news. He was one of my favorites when he was here and I was really ticked off when they traded him for a pile of garbage.
yes he isnt the same player he used to be. But hes still is a good skater and can kill penalties. I know I get on Holmgren for trading draft picks for rentals but this is a good move.
I fully agree with the above. I watched him a few games ago and thought to myself he looked good. I guess he just didn't fit into the Kings plans as they must be looking for some scoring.

OzFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:42 AM
Qyburn

He can skate? Maybe we should start signing out-of-work linesmen.

I'll be shocked if this has any more impact than the Knuble signing. What won't shock me is when people willfully ignore the similarity, even though he'll be taking up just as many roster spots as Knuble.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 02-27-2013 at 02:58 AM. Reason: "Fixed" posts not kosher
Qyburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:58 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qyburn View Post
Fixed.

He can skate? Maybe we should start signing out-of-work linesmen.

I'll be shocked if this has any more impact than the Knuble signing. What won't shock me is when people willfully ignore the similarity, even though he'll be taking up just as many roster spots as Knuble.
You can't recognize the difference between a 33 year old Gagne and a 40 year old Knuble?

In Mike Knuble's last year prior to us signing him, he had 18 points in 72 games for one of the most offensively gifted teams in the NHL. He was also a -15, tied for worst on the team.

In Simon Gagne's last year prior to us acquiring him, he had 17 points in 34 games for the 2nd worst offensive team in the NHL. Despite playing less than half the games of Knuble, Gagne scored 1 more goal (7 vs. 6). Gagne has also always been a very good defensive forward.

The problem w/ Gagne was injuries. The problem w/ Knuble was old age. Gagne's injury problem might have been solved by the surgery he had to remove a mass from his neck. Knuble's problem has no cure (at least not as of 2013). Also, despite the injuries, Gagne was still reasonably productive. Mike Knuble? Not so much.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:59 AM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
What's Forsberg up to nowadays?

Anyway this is awesome. Welcome back Simon!
Actually, he has invested in floorball. His company is a dealer for Excel sticks and stuff for floorball (unihockey) in Sweden and Europe. And he loves it!

Flyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:23 AM
Psuhockey

I like this trade. I think Gagne is a better veteran leader than Briere since he plays defense and can be a good mentor for Couturier, as they play a more similar two-way game. I think Briere's days here are numbered, whether thru trade or buyout. Hopefully he won't veto a trade. Depending on how he plays, the Flyers might be able to sign Gagne for after this year for cheap to play on the third line. Next year:

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Schenn-Simmonds
Gagne-Couturier-Laughton

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:03 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
So pumped to see Gagne return tonight. Even my Rangers fan friend is coming over to watch the game tonight to see him back in Orange and Black.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:22 AM
poneill27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
When the hell did a 3rd/4th round pick become so damn valuable?
LOL!!! Thats what I was thinking.

poneill27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:32 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post

He will deserve his blame on this one if it happens. Personally I look at the good and bad when it comes to Homer. I was just saying the Haters stick out more than the defenders. Look back a few pages at the guy complaining about Homer giving up a 4th round pick as an example.
You'll see a lot of that. When he makes a trade for a fourth rounder though, it will go unnoticed and no one will care. Trading picks = worst thing in the world. Trading for picks = who cares he already traded one away!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:57 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
There could be a second trade coming homer has us painted into a corner..
What in Holmgren's history suggests that he thinks that far ahead? He made this trade because the team needs help today, and it is low risk/high reward

Last edited by GKJ: 02-27-2013 at 09:02 AM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:06 AM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyman View Post
Actually, he has invested in floorball. His company is a dealer for Excel sticks and stuff for floorball (unihockey) in Sweden and Europe. And he loves it!
Is it the good old Exel or did Foppa found a completely new brand (Excel)?

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:46 AM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Short term? Backstrom.
Probably the best option if he's available.

Quote:
Ray Emery
Been there, done that.

Quote:
Mike Smith
Same thing as Bryz. Product of a system...the same system, in fact.

Quote:
maybe even Tim Thomas
38 years old. Just took a year off from hockey. Not a good idea IMO.

I think we're better off keeping Bryz. He's played well most of the season and there aren't too many options to replace him. We can buy out Briere if we have to and that will hopefully solve this cap issue. I don't really think there is an issue, though. Homer and the rest of the organization should have researched Gagne's cap hit with regards to the new CBA and should be familiar with all the scenarios that can result from the move. I say "should" with lots of hope. We'll see what happens...

Last edited by The Couturier Effect: 02-27-2013 at 10:51 AM.
The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:47 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
You can't just place an injured player on LTIR if you dont have salary to take it's place

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:27 PM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
100 % agree.

I grew up watching the Legion of Doom and afterwards the early 2000's with Simon Gagne. He was and will always be one of my all-time favourites.

So damn happy to see him back in O&B.

For all the haters, we'll see how "helpful" he'll be for the Flyers.

Go Gagne, you're right there where you belong to.

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote