HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #8

View Poll Results: Should we use an amnesty buyout on Bryz?
Hell Yes! 65 72.22%
Hell No! 25 27.78%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2013, 07:14 PM
  #26
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
His numbers are sinking, not because he's let in a bad goal or two over the last couple of weeks, its because the flyers kinda blow. but i forgot everything is the goalies fault. i'm assuming you've been watching this team tho. oh and getting gagne as sentimental as everyone wants to be about it is a joke. he's just a waste of cap space and another player soon to be on injured reserve. Who should the flyers replace bryz with tho? who could we get that would be able to withstand the horrendousness of the play in front of them?
The Flyers are doing a hell of a lot better now than they were at the beginning of the season, so that shoots down your correlation.

It's not Bryz's fault Homer didn't sign a goalie though.

Edit: And Flyers D certainly isn't terrible. They're allowing 27 shots per game, 8th in the league. Earlier in the season that was about 30.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 07:18 PM
  #27
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
The Flyers are doing a hell of a lot better now than they were at the beginning of the season, so that shoots down your correlation.

It's not Bryz's fault Homer didn't sign a goalie though.
thats like saying they've been playing their least worst games.

funghoul is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 07:30 PM
  #28
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
The Flyers MVP is clearly Voracek. And Giroux, Read, Timonen, and others are next in line before Bryzgalov.
LOL ....did you look at jakes first 10 games ? guess not. Jake is the hottest flyer, not the MVP counting games 1 through now.

Giroux & Read ?? oh, you mean part of the Offense who G said were 'going through the motions' ? yea, right.
Kimmo ? he's been Monty Hall this year: Mr. Give-away. love him, but no way hes been better than Bryz counting games 1 through now.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 07:33 PM
  #29
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
His numbers are sinking, not because he's let in a bad goal or two over the last couple of weeks, its because the flyers kinda blow.
he has had a few blunders lately.
but, you are right: this team has zero team defensive concept. Lately Bryz has not been able to overcome that, as he was able to earlier in the year.

and, yes, it's always the goalie's fault around here.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 07:41 PM
  #30
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
LOL ....did you look at jakes first 10 games ? guess not. Jake is the hottest flyer, not the MVP counting games 1 through now.

Giroux & Read ?? oh, you mean part of the Offense who G said were 'going through the motions' ? yea, right.
Kimmo ? he's been Monty Hall this year: Mr. Give-away. love him, but no way hes been better than Bryz counting games 1 through now.
It's fascinating you just completely ignored this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
There's no way he is "hands down" their best player. Voracek has certainly lapped him. Read had been damned good before getting hurt as well. Giroux is surging back. Timonen is on pace for 30 points in a 48 game season, which is a pace for 50 in a full season, while also playing decent defense against tough competition.

Can you explain, logically, why Bryzgalov should be considered the team MVP over Voracek, who has 24 points in 21 games and is tied for 6th in the league? Meanwhile, Bryzgalov is ranked 46th in the league for save percentage. You harp on his wins, but he's also 2nd for most losses. If for some reason you want to use win/loss as a relevant stat (which is a bad idea since that's a team stat, mostly), he's at 9-9-1, which isn't anything to write home about.

So, what is your reasoning for Bryz being better than Voracek?
It's also worth pointing out that Timonen is 5th among all NHL defensemen in points, while still playing decent defense against top competition. As for turnovers, you're flat out making garbage up now. He has the 71st most turnovers in the league among defensemen.

Yeah. 71st.

You're stretching really, really far in your attempts to make Bryz into something he isn't and you're falling short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
he has had a few blunders lately.
but, you are right: this team has zero team defensive concept. Lately Bryz has not been able to overcome that, as he was able to earlier in the year.

and, yes, it's always the goalie's fault around here.
You say Nashville is so much better defensively than the Flyers...well, they're ranked 6th for shots against and the Flyers are 8th. The difference? 0.6 shots per game.

The Flyers have improved their defense from last year, and even from the earlier part of the season. Yet Bryz's stats have fallen. Let's not blame the team for that. The most obvious culprit is the GM who didn't think a backup goalie would be important, so Bryz can't get any rest with a grueling schedule. That's a far more obvious and glaring issue than the defense.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 07:43 PM
  #31
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
LOL ....did you look at jakes first 10 games ? guess not. Jake is the hottest flyer, not the MVP counting games 1 through now.
so Bryz was hot at first but not so much now... MVP.

Vorbeastin not so hot at first but now ultra hot, not MVP..

see the correlation ???

dude ur so blinded by ur Byrz love affair u simply cant see anything except roses.

Flyerfan4life is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 07:49 PM
  #32
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

The difference? 0.6 shots per game.
curious what is 0.6 of a shot ? is that a Carle wrister/per game ?

hahaahhahah

Flyerfan4life is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 07:51 PM
  #33
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
so Bryz was hot at first but not so much now... MVP.

Vorbeastin not so hot at first but now ultra hot, not MVP..

see the correlation ???

dude ur so blinded by ur Byrz love affair u simply cant see anything except roses.
i know I'm not in on this mvp thing cause thats the last thing on my mind in this rough season were having but how is voracek our mvp? he's just hot right now. he hasn't single handedly carried us on his back. i love em tho. 7th overall pick and playin like it. i'm just saying we didn't lose against florida cause of bryzgalov and last night, yea he let in a bad goal but we also didn't wake up until the 3rd period. maybe just fresh blood like gagne will change things enough to make some kinda difference but i'm really big on us getting tubbs mcgee from winnipeg. we need that fat *******. and we need him bad.

funghoul is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 07:53 PM
  #34
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
curious what is 0.6 of a shot ? is that a Carle wrister/per game ?

hahaahhahah
On a good night.

Coburn is getting into Weak Wrists territory this year as well. I'm actually wondering if he has a shoulder injury. He rarely winds up and shoots...he used to. Don't know why else he'd just take crap wristers all the time now.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 08:02 PM
  #35
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
so Bryz was hot at first but not so much now... MVP.
a goalie who keeps his team in all but 2-3 games, has let in only 5 or so "awful" goals, steals a few games, has looked solid overall, fixed the media circus issue, while playing 19 games in 36 days ?

yes.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 08:07 PM
  #36
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
we also didn't wake up until the 3rd period.
there have been FAR too many games where this team [Voracek, Giroux, Read, Timonen and the rest of them] simply have not shown up for a vast majority of the game.

Bryz has not had ANY games where he simply loafed or didn't seem to be trying. ZERO.

has he had a few blunders ? yes. I saw Cam Ward let in a 125 footer. mistakes happen. at NO time has Bryz looked like he was "going through the motions"

last year ? Bryz shared the blame equally from game 1 to the elimination. he deserved more of the blame early on, alot less of the blame after Jan 1.

he is LAST on the blame list so far, this year.......

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 09:02 PM
  #37
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
there have been FAR too many games where this team [Voracek, Giroux, Read, Timonen and the rest of them] simply have not shown up for a vast majority of the game.

Bryz has not had ANY games where he simply loafed or didn't seem to be trying. ZERO.

has he had a few blunders ? yes. I saw Cam Ward let in a 125 footer. mistakes happen. at NO time has Bryz looked like he was "going through the motions"

last year ? Bryz shared the blame equally from game 1 to the elimination. he deserved more of the blame early on, alot less of the blame after Jan 1.

he is LAST on the blame list so far, this year.......
he's been great. i love our goaltending. i actually really love our team. were just young and not consistent. i really did assume this would happen during that implosion in summer 2011. it just sucks going through it. couturier has been consistently unnoticeable, simmonds had a couple of great games recently but was pretty quiet up until then (before and after the injury) giroux, briere, and voracek especially looked out of place for a long stretch. schenn's been inconsistent. we have the talent tho. they just need more time. that's why i get upset when all these problems get put on bryzgalov's shoulders as if he's to blame for our team being young and inconsistent. i think this thing will match up age wise. we'll be coming together strong in another year or two but you can't get rid of bryz in the meantime. then we'll be back to were we were before but people HATE that contract. HATE it. i don't. we do need that big defenseman tho. i love them and am hoping but we aint makin the playoffs this year. this year is the price we pay for getting young but were gonna be unbelievable soon. very soon.

funghoul is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 10:17 PM
  #38
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
You say Nashville is so much better defensively than the Flyers...well, they're ranked 6th for shots against and the Flyers are 8th. The difference? 0.6 shots per game.

The Flyers have improved their defense from last year, and even from the earlier part of the season. Yet Bryz's stats have fallen. Let's not blame the team for that. The most obvious culprit is the GM who didn't think a backup goalie would be important, so Bryz can't get any rest with a grueling schedule. That's a far more obvious and glaring issue than the defense.
Do you have a stat for Scoring chances given up, breakaways, ect.

SOG is far too simplistic.

I know its not this drastic, but if we give up 15 2-1s per game that result in 15sog, its a heck of alot worse than 15 carle "blasts" from the point.

achdumeingute is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 10:48 PM
  #39
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Do you have a stat for Scoring chances given up, breakaways, ect.

SOG is far too simplistic.

I know its not this drastic, but if we give up 15 2-1s per game that result in 15sog, its a heck of alot worse than 15 carle "blasts" from the point.
Nope, never seen those stats. SOG is the best we have.

I'd like to see Bryz's stats for 2-1s and breakaways vs the rest of the league. Even when he was on his game he struggled with those.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 10:49 PM
  #40
MrHockey1982
Registered User
 
MrHockey1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,188
vCash: 500
According to Franny Drummond (the guy who painted Bryz's new Star Wars mask), Bryz will debut the new mask tomorrow night against the Caps. For the Star Wars geeks, the light Sabre is actually orange because he wanted to use Flyers colors.

MrHockey1982 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 10:59 PM
  #41
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Do you have a stat for Scoring chances given up, breakaways, ect.

SOG is far too simplistic.

I know its not this drastic, but if we give up 15 2-1s per game that result in 15sog, its a heck of alot worse than 15 carle "blasts" from the point.
exactly. how many times has this team left guys wide open = 1 SOG vs a team playing SOUND team D & limiting the shots to the low % areas ...

my guess is that NASH is better at team D than the Flyers. its a guess, not a claim. i dont watch many NASH games. but i DO know we stink, so my guess is NASH is better.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 11:01 PM
  #42
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Nope, never seen those stats. SOG is the best we have.

I'd like to see Bryz's stats for 2-1s and breakaways vs the rest of the league. Even when he was on his game he struggled with those.
I think they are drastically needed, because IMO goalie stats are just far too team based. there is little isolation to factor out strictly by the play of the goaltender.

Bryz is a REALLY good positional guy and plays large in the net. He's a horrid guy when plays break down. He's awful on shootouts. These are things I'm just not going to get on him about, because no matter how mad it might make me...he's not capable of better.

But, for example the Kessel goal last night is all on him.

achdumeingute is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 11:36 PM
  #43
dawkins121
Registered User
 
dawkins121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Nope, never seen those stats. SOG is the best we have.

I'd like to see Bryz's stats for 2-1s and breakaways vs the rest of the league. Even when he was on his game he struggled with those.
And everyone makes excuses for his odd man rush and breakaway performances because he's being left out to dry by the rest of the team. And it's ok that he's bad at shootouts because it's just a dumb skills competition. Well guess what, elite goalies perform in those situations. That's what makes them elite and that's why Bryz is slightly above average AT BEST. Slightly above average goaltenders are not worth 5+ mill cap hits for the next 7 years.

dawkins121 is offline  
Old
02-26-2013, 11:55 PM
  #44
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
And everyone makes excuses for his odd man rush and breakaway performances because he's being left out to dry by the rest of the team. And it's ok that he's bad at shootouts because it's just a dumb skills competition. Well guess what, elite goalies perform in those situations. That's what makes them elite and that's why Bryz is slightly above average AT BEST. Slightly above average goaltenders are not worth 5+ mill cap hits for the next 7 years.
Some of this is a fallacy. No goaltender is going to be CONSISTENTLY good if their team cannot limit quality scoring chances.

But I agree about his value for his cap hit.

achdumeingute is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 12:00 AM
  #45
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,712
vCash: 500
What i get from this thread.... We win games its because Bryz stood on his head and won it for us. We lose its because the team sucked defensively and didnt help him out. Well atleast the fanboys are consistent.

Seriously though if one can not see the difference between his INDIVIDUAL play from the beginning to now you are definitely blinded with love (or hate) with the guy and really gotta start looking at this neutrally.

My overall view of him right now is that Bryz, while not have been bad, for the past week or so has come back down to earth alittle. Whether it was because of a hot streak (remember goalies can look elite at times, but how long that happens defines if you are elite or not) or the coach overworking him because every game counts, he IS NOT playing at the same level as he was. I dont know what to say if one can not see this. Bright as day...

sa cyred is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 12:09 AM
  #46
achdumeingute
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
What i get from this thread.... We win games its because Bryz stood on his head and won it for us.
I don't think Bryz solely has won or lost any games for us this season.

achdumeingute is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 12:13 AM
  #47
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
What i get from this thread.... We win games its because Bryz stood on his head and won it for us. We lose its because the team sucked defensively and didnt help him out. Well atleast the fanboys are consistent.

Seriously though if one can not see the difference between his INDIVIDUAL play from the beginning to now you are definitely blinded with love (or hate) with the guy and really gotta start looking at this neutrally.

My overall view of him right now is that Bryz, while not have been bad, for the past week or so has come back down to earth alittle. Whether it was because of a hot streak (remember goalies can look elite at times, but how long that happens defines if you are elite or not) or the coach overworking him because every game counts, he IS NOT playing at the same level as he was. I dont know what to say if one can not see this. Bright as day...
This man speaketh the trvth, especially the bolded part. And let's not start chastising our defense, because it, too, has looked elite at times.

Ryker is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 12:16 AM
  #48
Mgkibbles
Registered User
 
Mgkibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gilbertsville, Pa
Posts: 2,071
vCash: 500
With Anderson and Bishop playing well for the Sens is there any chance Robin Lehner is/will be available? I really like him

Mgkibbles is online now  
Old
02-27-2013, 12:22 AM
  #49
Go For It
Registered User
 
Go For It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Collegeville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
With Anderson and Bishop playing well for the Sens is there any chance Robin Lehner is/will be available? I really like him
I'd imagine Bishop would be available before Lehner.

Go For It is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 12:31 AM
  #50
Mgkibbles
Registered User
 
Mgkibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gilbertsville, Pa
Posts: 2,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
I'd imagine Bishop would be available before Lehner.
That's unfortunate. I dislike Bishop strongly.

Mgkibbles is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.