HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Should John Tortorella be fired?

Old
02-26-2013, 11:31 PM
Heyoooo*

vCash: 500
Wow, SnowblindNYR actually defending Lundqvist?

Heyoooo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:35 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
: laugh:

You should stop listening to Larry Brooks.
Obligatory post from a Bruins fan coming out of nowhere to defend their team's actions. Happens in every thread. I wonder if there's a reason for this? Nah must be a conspiracy, everyone just hates the Bruins amirite?

"It's Mario Götze!" -Ian Darke
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:40 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo View Post
Wow, SnowblindNYR actually defending Lundqvist?
I usually do. I just can't stand it when he has games like today or goes on his annual "slump" where Theodore's nickname of Three-or-more is fitting. I guess a goalie can't make every easy save. It's just infuriating. I'll always be hard on goalies because I feel that it's the most important position and the position that requires the most scrutiny. If the screws up and allows a breakaway but the guy on the breakaway shoots a soft shot straight through a gaping 5 hole, I blame the goalie. I'm sorry, if he was doing his job the goal wouldn't have happened no matter how much the team screwed up. The fact that Hank is a superstar goalie and our best player makes me even harder on him. There's a myth about me hating him. I don't, I'm just holding him up to his own standards. Just 90% of the Rangers board think it's sacrilege to criticize him for a bad game because he's so good usually. Well sorry that's the reason he SHOULD be criticized because he can make those saves.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:54 PM
Jedi

One hot streak in a shortened season and they could be leading the division.

I can't freakin' stand Torts, and think he's a clown. However it is way too early in the season to evaluate his coaching.

If the Rangers miss the playoffs he'll get fired, and if they get a low seed and knocked out in the first round, he may or may get fired depending on the situation. But most likely the Rangers need to make round 2 for Torts to keep his job. And that seems fair to me.

Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:10 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Only the room can answer this. Once you have lost the room, you can never get it back.

We can only speculate based on results.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:15 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Always seems like a GM gives the coach some sort of vote of confidence then if nothing turns around, they fire the coach.

Always seems the vote of confidence is acknowledgement they aren't doing a good job.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:19 AM
Winreims

Yes they should fire Torts, and the probably will if the team keeps losing. Sather would probably replace him with Jim Schoenfeld, one of the assistants, or maybe even come down and coach the team himself. *Deja-Vu*

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:26 AM
LetsGoIslanders

I would also fire Slats, as well. The guy is trying to put together fantasy teams like he did in the 90s, albeit with the support of Ranger fans and the local media. Sure, he fleeced Columbus for Nash, but it comes down to the fact that he can't build a team for a single year or the future. With the exception of reaching the ECF last season, there really hasn't been a ton of success. The problem for a new GM is that you've got so many immovable contracts.

Tortorella getting the axe should've happened years ago. A ******** like Torts lasts like pre-packaged sushi in a grocery store. He hasn't learned from his errors and refuses to change his ways. The difference between Scott Gordon and John Tortorella is that Torts has talent on his his team.

LetsGoIslanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:41 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I think with the exception of Ruff who had been with the Sabres so long, management of teams should not panic and go nuts this year cause it feels like an odd freak situation cause of the short season, cause of the Lockout and so forth. You can't trully judge what teams are like in my opinion and it would be a mistake to fire guys just like that. Many players are just not playing like they would in a normal situation cause of the Lockout, most of them are not in game shape.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:58 AM
NuxFan09

It's so strange because the Rangers pretty much have the perfect mix. They have some legitimately elite scoring forwards up front, a good supporting cast, the best goalie in the game, and maybe the best group of defenseman in their own end in the league.

What gives Rangers fans?

NuxFan09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:16 AM
Hollywood163

I don't think Torts hard disciplinarian approach is as effective as it used to be with today's players. Ken Hitchcock has had to reinvent himself with a softer touch. Penguins won the cup with the more positive Bylsma one year after letting go the more fiery Michel Therrien.

Coaches like Torts seem burn themselves out on the players quickly.

Hollywood163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:19 AM
Unagi

If I were the GM of New York I would have fired him last year already for the way he treated the media. You can't even pull that stuff in Anaheim, doing it in New York is just stupid.

If you are going to be a ******, you have to win the cup. Funny thing is, I thought the Rangers were the team able to stop the Kings last year.

Unagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:35 AM
Abraham85

I hope he gets fired so the Islanders or the Wild can hire him instead.

Abraham85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:50 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey Rustie View Post
And yet regardless of what happens to Torts, Sather will keep his job yet again.
He deserves it for unloading Gomez

LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:53 AM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham85 View Post
I hope he gets fired so the Islanders or the Wild can hire him instead.
Why? Jack Cupuano is a great leader and hockey mind

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:03 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo View Post
I hate seeing **** like this.

All that feel good ******** from the 90s Rangers. With Richter, Leetch and Graves coaching.

Enough. Just because most of these guys were great players for the team doesnt mean theyll be the right fit to coach them.

Its bad enough we milk the **** outta 1994 during every intermission. Its embarrassing really.
Wow am I the only one who realizes that the guy you quoted was CLEARLY joking? I actually laughed out loud when I read his post because I thought it was a great joke.

Anyway... I guess I'm one of the only remaining Ranger fans that DOESN'T thin Torts is the problem. I think the problem lies in the players and their lack of confidence in themselves. They didn't get the start they wanted (which was OK) and now their confidence issues are snowballing. I don't blame the lack of offensive creativity on Torts... that's ridiculous. The only things I DO blame on Torts are our defensive systems. Heck, they worked wonders for us at times last season but I HATED our defensive scheme come playoff time. Collapsing that low in the defensive zone is going to burn you in a seven game series... and it did.

Richards said himself that he's rattled about the way he's playing.. our defense looks nervous and tentative.. our offense is inept when it comes to creativity.. our players CONSTANTLY miss wide open nets or fan on what WOULD be great plays.. how does any of this reflect on Torts' coaching ability? I think it's all on the players. Especially after last season's success.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:09 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I usually do. I just can't stand it when he has games like today or goes on his annual "slump" where Theodore's nickname of Three-or-more is fitting. I guess a goalie can't make every easy save. It's just infuriating. I'll always be hard on goalies because I feel that it's the most important position and the position that requires the most scrutiny. If the screws up and allows a breakaway but the guy on the breakaway shoots a soft shot straight through a gaping 5 hole, I blame the goalie. I'm sorry, if he was doing his job the goal wouldn't have happened no matter how much the team screwed up. The fact that Hank is a superstar goalie and our best player makes me even harder on him. There's a myth about me hating him. I don't, I'm just holding him up to his own standards. Just 90% of the Rangers board think it's sacrilege to criticize him for a bad game because he's so good usually. Well sorry that's the reason he SHOULD be criticized because he can make those saves.
I REALLY hope you are a hockey player yourself if your going to "be hard on goalies". See, I tend to think goalies require the least amount of scrutiny. A goalie's job is to give his team a chance to win and make the "easy saves" as you put it... blaming a goalie for getting sniped 5-hole on a breakaway just seems kind of off to me. You gotta keep in mind that sometimes a save looks a lot easier than it really is when you're watching it on TV or whatever.

And I'm not speaking about Hank at all here.. I'm just talking about goalies in general. I can admit when Hank doesn't make a save that he should (the 4th goal against Winnipeg and possibly the other Kane goal.)

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:14 AM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 10431
Torts the clown needs to be fired and they need to bring in someone who knows how to coach offense and PP.

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:52 AM
Abraham85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Why? Jack Cupuano is a great leader and hockey mind
And Okposo is the new Iginla

Abraham85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:59 AM
tony d
The franchise

I think if the Rangers miss the playoffs this year Torts will be let go. You can blame injuries but that whole team is under-performing thus far this year.

02-27-2013, 07:05 AM
Crease

Well, it looks like the team isn't buying what he's selling anymore.

At one point during last night's broadcast they went to John Giannone between the benches. He reported that the players were leaning up against the boards and looking interested. I mean, c'mon.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:06 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Only the room can answer this. Once you have lost the room, you can never get it back.
The MLB Hall of Fame manager Leo Durocher once lost the room and got it back. He was good for one of those "turn in your uniform!" tirades toward a player about once per year. He did it once to the pitcher Bobo Newsom shortly before a game, which caused HOF shortstop Arky Vaughan to say, "If you're taking his uniform, here's mine as well." The higher-ups had to step in just to get the Dodgers to play that day, but Durocher still managed the team for the next five years (minus the one-year suspension in 1947).

However, your statement has a lot of basis in history. I personally think that coaches or managers who "lose the room" tend to burn out their players for petty or imaginary reasons; this is common with the ultra-intense Type A guys. The reason that they don't gain it back is simple: stubbornness. Someone who comes in with that type of personality is usually coming into a certain type of atmosphere, which is the perception of an underachieving team that could do great things if only there was a little bit of discipline/effort/accountability. Type A coach comes in, and when there's resistance and the team either doesn't improve (or does and then falls back), there's usually the usual lines of, "I'm not here to make friends with players!" or "They're not used to hard work, so of course they don't like my style!" or any of a thousand variants of the same.

The coaches who have the most staying power are the guys who sit squarely in the middle personality-wise. They have the respect of their players, but are also cognizant enough to know when to back off and give a pat on the back instead of a kick in the ass. That's why guys like Barry Trotz can be around as long as they have, and why others like Scott Arniel don't make it a year and a half. Scotty Bowman is a unique case in that he was unusually cutting and sarcastic, but his mind games and manipulation is legendary (and never really duplicated).

Just to add a bit more, there's a general rule that a deposed coach who "loses the room" can't be replaced by someone with the same personality type. It can cause the effect trying to be avoided (losing the room) to actually get worse instead of better. A coach who's extremely intense can burn out the players, and an incoming coach who's more relaxed will allow the players a bit more leeway, which brings back "the joy of the game". A relaxed coach can lose the room by failing to hold guys accountable, and an incoming intense coach will make threats and then actually back them up, which serves as a wake-up call. But to follow one fired coach with someone of the same personality....it just doesn't work.

Mayor Bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:12 AM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

He seems like he'd have such a tiring personality to play for. Players eventually stop listening because they get tired of what he has to say to them/the media and no longer buy in to what he's trying to implement. NY needs a refresher.

Patmac40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:59 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

I can't imagine if my boss was like Torts. I'd want to kill myself every work day.

KingWantsCup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Badger Mayhew

I could see Torts going to Calgary after he gets fired, and being their Ron Wilson for the next 4 years.

Badger Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote