HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

2012-2013 Colorado Ava...Lake Erie Monsters Thread Part III

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 08:55 PM
boz
Altitude Fan

vCash: 500
there's something about Sgarbossa doing a superman punch on twitter... ha gonna need some video

Old
02-26-2013, 09:00 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boz View Post
there's something about Sgarbossa doing a superman punch on twitter... ha gonna need some video
I really want to see this. Apparently Llambas did something that pissed the Pirate off, and Sgarbossa went all Downie... at least from what I can gather.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:03 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
I hope we get a video of this.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
I'm going to call him classless, just to get a head start.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:30 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

He apparently retaliated to a slash from Liambas and then destroyed him. Can't wait to see a video.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
Lol, we need video.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:35 PM
Skating Tripods

Terrific game from Pickard tonight, but I'll mention that after the Sgarbossa incident.

So, early in the game Gabriel Beaupre laid out some guy for Milwaukee. He left, presumably with at least a mild concussion. Guy was admiring a pass and Beaupre came from the blind side. Looked like shoulder to head, though my buddy who I get the tickets from thought it looked like an elbow. In any event, the first period was pretty chippy from that point on, with several guys trying to get after Beaupre.

Liambas, who, if you'll recall, delivered this hit in a junior game a few years ago, went headhunting for Sgarbossa at the blue line. It was a glancing blow that knocked Sgarbossa's helmet off. Another Monster confronted Liambas and that's when Sgarbossa came flying in. Not sure if he got a punch in or not, as players and the linesman were in the way, but he was tossed immediately.

At least, that's what I saw from my vantage point, which wasn't good for this incident. Not to mention, I just saw Sgarbossa's helmet fly into the zone and then Sgarbossa come after Liambas. Not sure where the slashing minor came from, as there was no initial call on Liambas, I don't think, until the scrum. I didn't see the replay on the Jumbotron and they only showed it once.

Sgarbossa was lucky to avoid a concussion from the hit. I don't think he'll be so lucky to avoid a suspension. I don't know if you're going to get video or not.

Milwaukee's a pretty dirty team. They took several incredibly stupid penalties. A lot of slashing and head contact in the corners. I honestly thought the refs were going to let the game get out of hand in the first period, as they were letting a lot go. But, the two coaches must have made themselves very clear at intermission. Neither team was playing the game the right way. A lot of offsides whistles, no flow, a lot of chippy play. It settled down for the most part after that.

Anyway, to my first point, Pickard was outstanding tonight. Phenomenal rebound control, especially on the Milwaukee powerplays. Saw a lot of shots through traffic. He was excellent. Really impressed with his development this season.

Stollery has a bomb of a shot. I've noticed it before, but especially tonight. He got a shot through on VDG's first goal and was pretty good in his own zone. Like I've said before, since Barrie went up and Elliott was injured and then called up, Stollery has really elevated his game. I'm not sure he's a strong enough skater to be an every night contributor in the NHL, but he's got a lot of skills.

Better game from Gaunce tonight. Thought he scored VDG's second goal, but I guess it was tipped. He played a big role on the PK as well.

Good jump from both Walkers, though Geoff took a stupid penalty when the Monsters were precariously clinging to their one goal lead.

Agozzino was a non-factor. I think the grind of the season is starting to catch up with him. Very little jump. No second gear.

Another solid game from Lauridsen. He had a couple of key blocked shots and stick checks late in the game that prevented quality scoring chances.

Carey and Thomas have been terrific with all the call-ups. Carey had an excellent backcheck in the second period that saved a goal. Thomas buried the insurance tally and plays the calming influence role on the team.

Brad Malone was brutal in the faceoff dot. He's definitely more of a LW than a C.

Curious to see what happens to Sgarbossa. I'd think a minimum of two games.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:41 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Thanks! How has Beaupre been overall?

Old
02-27-2013, 12:25 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skating Tripods View Post
Terrific game from Pickard tonight, but I'll mention that after the Sgarbossa incident.

So, early in the game Gabriel Beaupre laid out some guy for Milwaukee. He left, presumably with at least a mild concussion. Guy was admiring a pass and Beaupre came from the blind side. Looked like shoulder to head, though my buddy who I get the tickets from thought it looked like an elbow. In any event, the first period was pretty chippy from that point on, with several guys trying to get after Beaupre.

Liambas, who, if you'll recall, delivered this hit in a junior game a few years ago, went headhunting for Sgarbossa at the blue line. It was a glancing blow that knocked Sgarbossa's helmet off. Another Monster confronted Liambas and that's when Sgarbossa came flying in. Not sure if he got a punch in or not, as players and the linesman were in the way, but he was tossed immediately.

At least, that's what I saw from my vantage point, which wasn't good for this incident. Not to mention, I just saw Sgarbossa's helmet fly into the zone and then Sgarbossa come after Liambas. Not sure where the slashing minor came from, as there was no initial call on Liambas, I don't think, until the scrum. I didn't see the replay on the Jumbotron and they only showed it once.

Sgarbossa was lucky to avoid a concussion from the hit. I don't think he'll be so lucky to avoid a suspension. I don't know if you're going to get video or not.

Milwaukee's a pretty dirty team. They took several incredibly stupid penalties. A lot of slashing and head contact in the corners. I honestly thought the refs were going to let the game get out of hand in the first period, as they were letting a lot go. But, the two coaches must have made themselves very clear at intermission. Neither team was playing the game the right way. A lot of offsides whistles, no flow, a lot of chippy play. It settled down for the most part after that.

Anyway, to my first point, Pickard was outstanding tonight. Phenomenal rebound control, especially on the Milwaukee powerplays. Saw a lot of shots through traffic. He was excellent. Really impressed with his development this season.

Stollery has a bomb of a shot. I've noticed it before, but especially tonight. He got a shot through on VDG's first goal and was pretty good in his own zone. Like I've said before, since Barrie went up and Elliott was injured and then called up, Stollery has really elevated his game. I'm not sure he's a strong enough skater to be an every night contributor in the NHL, but he's got a lot of skills.

Better game from Gaunce tonight. Thought he scored VDG's second goal, but I guess it was tipped. He played a big role on the PK as well.

Good jump from both Walkers, though Geoff took a stupid penalty when the Monsters were precariously clinging to their one goal lead.

Agozzino was a non-factor. I think the grind of the season is starting to catch up with him. Very little jump. No second gear.

Another solid game from Lauridsen. He had a couple of key blocked shots and stick checks late in the game that prevented quality scoring chances.

Carey and Thomas have been terrific with all the call-ups. Carey had an excellent backcheck in the second period that saved a goal. Thomas buried the insurance tally and plays the calming influence role on the team.

Brad Malone was brutal in the faceoff dot. He's definitely more of a LW than a C.

Curious to see what happens to Sgarbossa. I'd think a minimum of two games.
Thanks for the info. On all the guys for that matter.

What exactly did Sgarbossa do though? You mentioned you think he'll get at least a two game minimum suspension, but didn't really mention what he did.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Skating Tripods

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Thanks! How has Beaupre been overall?
I've liked his game. Frankly, the way Lauridsen, Stollery, and Beaupre have been playing makes me wonder how they've lost so many games of late. Those three have been really good in the games I've seen. Lack of puck possession, maybe? I don't know.

Beaupre's got a ways to go to reach his ceiling. He's a good, not great, skater, but he's a very smart player. Good, but not great, first pass out of the zone. I see room for improvement there, especially on the boards. He'll have to bulk up this offseason and add some strength. A lot of weight training and some plyometrics work to improve his lateral agility. But, he's a heady player, which is something you can't teach.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:15 AM
Skating Tripods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Thanks for the info. On all the guys for that matter.

What exactly did Sgarbossa do though? You mentioned you think he'll get at least a two game minimum suspension, but didn't really mention what he did.
He came flying in, left his feet, and essentially tackled Liambas. The linesmen jumped on it pretty quickly, so there wasn't a whole lot more that happened, but he was ejected immediately and was chirping at the refs on the way down the tunnel.

It was announced as a 5 min major for fighting and a game misconduct, but I did see the attempt/intent to injure match penalty on the scoresheet after the game. Looking at the AHL Rulebook, it's an automatic $200 fine and review from the Commissioner's office. Probably don't see too many attempt/intent to injure match penalties go without a suspension.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:55 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
He came flying in, left his feet, and essentially tackled Liambas. The linesmen jumped on it pretty quickly, so there wasn't a whole lot more that happened, but he was ejected immediately and was chirping at the refs on the way down the tunnel.

It was announced as a 5 min major for fighting and a game misconduct, but I did see the attempt/intent to injure match penalty on the scoresheet after the game. Looking at the AHL Rulebook, it's an automatic $200 fine and review from the Commissioner's office. Probably don't see too many attempt/intent to injure match penalties go without a suspension.
Ha, ok now I get the Superman reference. Thanks for the scoop.

BTW, $200 fine? Sure drops down a bit from the NHL. Speeding tickets cost more than that.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:08 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
I've liked his game. Frankly, the way Lauridsen, Stollery, and Beaupre have been playing makes me wonder how they've lost so many games of late. Those three have been really good in the games I've seen. Lack of puck possession, maybe? I don't know.

Beaupre's got a ways to go to reach his ceiling. He's a good, not great, skater, but he's a very smart player. Good, but not great, first pass out of the zone. I see room for improvement there, especially on the boards. He'll have to bulk up this offseason and add some strength. A lot of weight training and some plyometrics work to improve his lateral agility. But, he's a heady player, which is something you can't teach.
Good to hear! I have been high on him for a while now. Playing this year in the pro ranks is probably going to do wonders for his overall game. Hopefully in a few years he will be ready to be the shutdown guy on the bottom pairing.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:59 PM
Skating Tripods

Quote:
Good to hear! I have been high on him for a while now. Playing this year in the pro ranks is probably going to do wonders for his overall game. Hopefully in a few years he will be ready to be the shutdown guy on the bottom pairing.
Definitely. I was thinking the same thing when I saw the way that you guys were talking about him when he was called up to Lake Erie. The Avs have a good collection of future bottom pair guys here. I think Stollery could top out as a middle pairing guy and a good PP2 QB. Just have to draft and develop some top pairing guys.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

The Sgarbossa thing doesn't sound too bad. It actually sounds kinda awesome.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:42 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Random gibberish if anybody cares:

http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Fights...px?Game=409694

Old
02-27-2013, 03:51 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Did you just make me time travel? My eyes!

Old
02-27-2013, 05:00 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post

Old
02-27-2013, 06:12 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Agreed wholeheartedly. Beaupre will make the NHL and surprise quite a few people one day. Hopefully it's with us and not elsewhere like Boychuk.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:57 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Old
02-27-2013, 09:04 PM
TatteredTornNFrayed
ocelot spleens, ...

Tripods,

Just out of curiosity, any impressions of AJ Gale so far? I know he's not likely to ever end up with an Avs contract, but saw him a few times with the Cutthroats, and thought he might work on the Monsters. Do you know which line he's been playing with?

Old
02-27-2013, 09:30 PM
Foppa2118

Ha, I can't tell what to think on that. On one hand it looked like Sgarbossa kind of flew in there and coldcocked him. On the other hand there was a big hit right before that, and Liambas kind of saw him and should have known it was coming and protected himself better.

Can't tell if Liambas dropped his gloves or not, but especially if he did, I don't see anything wrong with that. He just got decked. No rules saying you have to square off for a fight.

They definitely didn't drop the gloves and say lets do this like the PBP guy said though. I wonder what else went on behind the play right before that the camera didn't pick up.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:34 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Sgarbossa should have put him in a camel clutch.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:04 PM
Chileiceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
Sgarbossa should have put him in a camel clutch.
And made him humble. Sheiky Class

Old
02-28-2013, 03:32 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Lake Erie Monsters ‏@monstershockey
.@TheAHL announced that #Monsters Mike Sgarbossa has been suspended for one game as a consequence of a match penalty received on 2/26.

Closed Thread