HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Should we be surprised by Jeff Carter?

Old
02-26-2013, 11:07 PM
Choralone

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Multitude of reasons:

I. He was viewed as a player who never stepped up in the playoffs.

Example A:

Would have given the Flyers a 3-1 lead with less than 10 minutes left. Pens tied it, and won it in OT on a Guerin GWG. Pens went up 2-0 in the series instead of being tied 1-1 going back to Philly.

Example B:

Would have put the Flyers up a goal with a little over a minute left in game 6 against the Hawks. A chance to push the game to game 7, and he blew it. Wide open net but he waited too long to release the puck.

II. He had the body to dominate physically but never did. Much like JvR, and it was maddening for a lot of fans. He's not "soft", but he has the frame to be a horse and he doesn't play that game. Mike Richards, on the other hand, was the antithesis of Carter and we often wondered why Carter couldn't play like that (to a lesser degree, even).
If your game comes down to one play - one shot on goal - then the rest of the team shares the blame for making the margin that small to begin with. Win as a team, but lose and point the finger at Jeff Carter?

Choralone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:11 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choralone View Post
If your game comes down to one play - one shot on goal - then the rest of the team shares the blame for making the margin that small to begin with. Win as a team, but lose and point the finger at Jeff Carter?
Now you get the gist of how it works. It's all the fault of Eric Lindros, Jeff Carter, and Roman Cechmanek that the Flyers don't have a Stanley Cup. It is ironic that players they traded away went on to greener pastures (Brind'Amour and Williams won Cups with Carolina, Sharp with Chicago, Carter and Richards with LA).

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:14 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choralone View Post
Clearly the team put itself in good enough position to win. Somebody has to step up and bury that goal to put is in game 7, too bad carter couldnt. He couldnt frankly do anything right when it mattered for us. Like i said he was the most frustrating player ive ever seen.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:15 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzz View Post
To use some stats. He played for the Jackets 28 games in a row without recording a single goddamnit hit! Now he already has 18 hits in 33 games as a King.
Also consider that Columbus has always been widely known to inflate player hit totals at home. There was a game last year against Detroit (a 5-2 loss) where the hit totals were 33-2 in favor of Columbus, which caused the notoriously humorous Mike Babcock to erupt in laughter when told.

Mayor Bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:19 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
The fact that Carter suddenly looked like an All-Star in the playoffs last year and in the first third of this year (y'know, which he'd done previously) seems to bear out the fact that he floated his way through Columbus.
He played at about the same level on the Kings in the regular season as he did in Columbus. Don't you think some of that can be attributed to not fully recovering from his injury?

I'm not trying to absolve him, but I sometimes think players mistake trying to get back into game shape with floating. Since he seemed to have worked out during the lockout, he's been the Kings best player... but he was far from the best player when the Kings acquired him last year.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:20 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Also consider that Columbus has always been widely known to inflate player hit totals at home. There was a game last year against Detroit (a 5-2 loss) where the hit totals were 33-2 in favor of Columbus, which caused the notoriously humorous Mike Babcock to erupt in laughter when told.
A lot of flyer fans hate him bc he wasnt physical, but its clear thats just not his game. What pissed me off was his unwillingness to get dirty and go to the dirty areas you need to go to when your slumping and bounces arent going your way.

Carter was enigmatic in my eyes for the flyers. I really dislike him as a player, but whatever. I miss richards a lot though man

Old
02-26-2013, 11:23 PM
Puckgenius*

I would like to see Jeff still put up 30+ goals playing without Richards or Gagne. Hes a good player no doubt but he benefits hugely from his linemates. Hes always had stars to play with.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:28 PM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

Nobody doubts his skill, he's really talented and his shot is in the upper-tier in the league. It's his attitude that turns people off of him.

CBJWennberg41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:28 PM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Now you get the gist of how it works. It's all the fault of Eric Lindros, Jeff Carter, and Roman Cechmanek that the Flyers don't have a Stanley Cup. It is ironic that players they traded away went on to greener pastures (Brind'Amour and Williams won Cups with Carolina, Sharp with Chicago, Carter and Richards with LA).
Talk about ignorant. I've officially seen it all now that I've seen someone actually come out and defend Roman Cechmanek. Christ almighty.

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:29 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzz View Post
To use some stats. He played for the Jackets 28 games in a row without recording a single goddamnit hit! Now he already has 18 hits in 33 games as a King.
18 hits in 33 games is nothing on the Kings. Dustin Brown could accomplish that in 2 games. Carter is literally the only Kings forward who doesn't throw a check. Even Kopi throws checks. Carts should be measured on scoring chances, cause he only gets them when he's moving his feet.

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:29 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoowa View Post
Talk about ignorant. I've officially seen it all now that I've seen someone actually come out and defend Roman Cechmanek. Christ almighty.
Lol that guy clearly has no idea what hes talking about and just using ignorant/uninformed claims against philly sports fans. How surprising..

Old
02-26-2013, 11:31 PM
ryanwb

Weren't Datsyuk, and to a lesser extent Zetterberg also criticized for their lack of playoff performances in Detroit for a few years?

ryanwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:32 PM
Syckle78

I don't blame Carter at all for snubbing the Jackets. These guys don't know how long they have in the league,most careers are pretty short. Why waste precious years in a sink hole. He never signed up to be there. He did what he had to do to get out. More power to him.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:32 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
Jeff Carter is the Canadian Alex Semin.

A top-end player with a great wrist shot, solid two-way play and is a good skater but is simply written off due to their allegedly "bad attitude" and "lazy" play.

The only people that I see who are lazy; are those who don't actually take the time to watch the games and truly evaluate the players that they decide to put these ridiculous labels on.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:33 PM
Choralone

vCash: 50
Glass half-full versus half-empty. You can worry about a slump, I'll celebrate a streak. If Carter were to slump on the Kings, he'd be no worse than any other forward on our team. We're chock full o' slumpers. I'm enjoying his wonderful streak for as long as it lasts. And if it lasts all season? Then I guess it's not a streak.

Choralone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:34 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwb View Post
Weren't Datsyuk, and to a lesser extent Zetterberg also criticized for their lack of playoff performances in Detroit for a few years?
Datsyuk was. Don't remember Zetterberg ever getting called out on it.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:42 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Carter has an already big fanbase in LA and LA is an easy place for him to play. It seems every game his fanbase grows in size and depth.

We haven't needed him to finish scoring chances to get us to game 7s. He and other Kings are finishing games so it never gets that far. And there's something Kobe about him in the third period of tight games...

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:46 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
Datsyuk was. Don't remember Zetterberg ever getting called out on it.
Pavel Datsyuk deserves(d) it too. For all the hype and admiration that Datsyuk receives, he isn't even PPG in the playoffs. In fact, his PPG takes a considerable nosedive in the postseason: going from averaging 26G-80pts in the regular season to 21G-61pts in the playoffs. Furthermore, in 10 playoff tries with a very powerful Detroit Red Wings squad Datsyuk has only finished top 5 in postseason scoring one time with a 4th place finish in 07-08 heavily paling in comparison to the dominant Henrik Zetterberg.

Que the "Oh but he is so defensively dominant!!"

--> Okay that would be a valid excuse.. If he didn't play on a team with an even more impressive defensive player in Zetterberg who also manages to produce at a ridiculously high clip in the playoffs.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:53 PM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
Pavel Datsyuk deserves(d) it too. For all the hype and admiration that Datsyuk receives, he isn't even PPG in the playoffs. In fact, his PPG takes a considerable nosedive in the postseason: going from averaging 26G-80pts in the regular season to 21G-61pts in the playoffs. Furthermore, in 10 playoff tries with a very powerful Detroit Red Wings squad Datsyuk has only finished top 5 in postseason scoring one time with a 4th place finish in 07-08 heavily paling in comparison to the dominant Henrik Zetterberg.

Que the "Oh but he is so defensively dominant!!"

--> Okay that would be a valid excuse.. If he didn't play on a team with an even more impressive defensive player in Zetterberg who also manages to produce at a ridiculously high clip in the playoffs.
Riveting. Wings fans are more than happy with Pavs and the two cups and three finals appearances.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:57 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Riveting. Wings fans are more than happy with Pavs and the two cups and three finals appearances.
And no one is saying they shouldn't be.

They should just think twice before comparing him to real elite players like Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin.

For gods sake, Pavel Datsyuk has been mentioned as a top 5 forward The man hasn't even cracked the 30G mark in 3 seasons and only recorded a paltry 19G and under PPG in 70GP last season. You can dipsy-doodle all you want but all I ask is until he starts producing like an elite forward don't call him one.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:59 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:

They should just think twice before comparing him to real elite players like Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin.

For gods sake, Pavel Datsyuk has been mentioned as a top 5 forward The man hasn't even cracked the 30G mark in 3 seasons and only recorded a paltry 19G and under PPG in 70GP last season. You can dipsy-doodle all you want but all I ask is until he starts producing like an elite forward don't call him one.
True.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:03 AM
Syckle78

Quote:

Pavel Datsyuk is a top 5 forward. Deal with it.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:09 AM
Ceff Jarter
Registered Duster

Quote:
No. He's not. and detroit is more of a stinkhole than c-bus

Ceff Jarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:10 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Prove it.

How is he better than:

1.) Sidney Crosby
2.) Evgeni Malkin
3.) Steven Stamkos
4.) Henrik Sedin
5.) Daniel Sedin

Or even:
6.) Jonathan Toews
7.) Ilya Kovalchuk
8.) Claude Giroux
9.) Martin St.Louis
10.) Joe Thornton

..etc

Old
02-27-2013, 12:13 AM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by beached whaler View Post
No. He's not. and detroit is more of a stinkhole than c-bus
Lol Yea cause players live in Detroit. Besides I was referring to the organization not the city, which I'm sure you are well aware of. Oh and yea he is.