HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Honestly, what have perezogin or plekaneck done in the NHL??? NOTHING

Old
07-18-2006, 09:28 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertonhabsfan View Post
Everyone seems to be so high on these two guys!! Why? what have they done that is so good? Trade the two of them fore one solid, seasoned player and let's win a cup!!!
I'm going to assume this was sarcastic. It just has to be.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 09:32 AM
The CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
Ill agree with you on perezogin but noway do I agree with you on plekanec. The guy works his behind off night in and night out and has a great attitude on the ice. gets his job done.

I agree 100%. Plekanec was one of our most consistent, maybe not with points but with everyhting else.

He has incredible passing abilities, (always remeber that saucer pass to Higgins for a goal) and his passes are always on the tape.
He is willing to take a hit to make a play and we have scored a couple of times because of it.
Wins key faceoffs.
Can kill penalties and is very good defensively. (goes together I guess)
Is really fast, (Won the fastest player in the AHL All star game) which is not bad at all.

Put it this way, with Pleks you can reply on him because you know what he will bring you night and night out. And for a first year player, I think he did quite well. He was one of my favorites last year.

Last edited by The CUBE: 07-18-2006 at 09:40 AM.
The CUBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 09:38 AM
Marksman

Perezhogin I can understand someone might think that way ... but saying that Plekanec hasnt done anything for the team, when he was one of our top penalty killers past season and put 31 points making league minimum salary, is pure nonsense.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 09:40 AM
jcpenny

Seriously i dont see why you guys bother replying in this thread.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 09:43 AM
Guriken

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL View Post
I thought Perezhogin was among our most dangerous forwards during the playoffs
Yes he was and Plekanec has been constant all season long, so trading them would be foolish.

Guriken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 09:50 AM
pavlako11

trade them for what? a veteran who we would have to pay more money to when in fact these 2 guys "can" turn into that same veteran in a couple years. no thanks

pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Kafka

Quote:
Everyone seems to be so high on these two guys!! Why? what have they done that is so good? Trade the two of them fore one solid, seasoned player and let's win a cup!!!
Hahaha.... go back to see what most guys did at their rookie season and then close this thread.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 09:59 AM
znk

I guess it would have helped if that guy watched at least 1 game durring the season.

Yeah some could argue that Perezhogin was somewhat of a deception durring the season. But he had some great playoffs.

As for Plekanecs...He was nothing short of amazing. He was much better then anyone ever imagined before the season started.

Indeed...like many stated before me....what an ugly thread.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 10:01 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
What a demanding, shortsighted brat you are! For one thing they were rookies. But anyway, if you saw the two of them in the playoffs, you should realize that they were among the better performing Habs. Plekanec in particular also had a very good regular season. He was a plus player and won most of his faceoffs. His stats would have been better if he hadn't undergone knee surgery.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 10:03 AM
Fozz

Actually, the way Perezhogin and Plekanec play this year will go a long way in determining the team's success. Both had decent rookie seasons and, more importantly, good playoffs last year. However, that doesn't mean they will flourish into solid NHLers... This is the year that will tell us if they will as they have to be better and take the next step, especially production-wise. Things are looking good for them but they still have to prove it. If they don't then we have other prospects that just might do that in their place.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 10:11 AM
Habsaholic

Ever seen Pleks play?

Habsaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I guess it would have helped if that guy watched at least 1 game durring the season.

Yeah some could argue that Perezhogin was somewhat of a deception durring the season. But he had some great playoffs.

As for Plekanecs...He was nothing short of amazing. He was much better then anyone ever imagined before the season started.
Indeed...like many stated before me....what an ugly thread.
Quite a few posters thought Plekanec was the most NHL ready prospect we had entering into last season, I personally wasn't surprised by his season, if you look at his career, even going back to the extraliga back in his country, he's always adapted quite well to new situations.

Plekanec probaby doesn't own the same high end potential as Higgins, Perezhogin or Kostitsyn...but he'll always be a dependable player in the NHL. I personally agree with the sentiment that he could outperform Ribeiro as the 2nd line center, but i'll leave that for another discussion

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 10:49 AM
bjac

Quote:
Daveyboy is that you?

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 10:56 AM
BigTimer*

Perezhogin: Nothing

Plekanec: More than enough

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 10:56 AM
znk

Quote:
Quite a few posters thought Plekanec was the most NHL ready prospect we had entering into last season, I personally wasn't surprised by his season, if you look at his career, even going back to the extraliga back in his country, he's always adapted quite well to new situations.

Plekanec probaby doesn't own the same high end potential as Higgins, Perezhogin or Kostitsyn...but he'll always be a dependable player in the NHL. I personally agree with the sentiment that he could outperform Ribeiro as the 2nd line center, but i'll leave that for another discussion
Well I did not see Plekanecs as one of our best penalty killers before the season started. I did not know he would show up every night.
Could we compare him to Carboneau a bit? I dunno...he gives me that vibe.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Well I did not see Plekanecs as one of our best penalty killers before the season started. I did not know he would show up every night.
Could we compare him to Carboneau a bit? I dunno...he gives me that vibe.
I remembered watching AHL games during the lockout and noticed how Higgins and Plekanec were great together on the PK.

Plekanec to me, is alot like Koivu IMO...both small feisty guys, who use quick playmaking and hockey sense to get by

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 11:19 AM
SPARTAKUS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshawa General View Post
I think you have to be a little more patient, they are first year players, just look at these stats of another first year player, his 2nd season was a break-out season
G A PTS PIM
2003-04 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 81 11 20 31 40

Would you have traded Eric Staal after one NHL season??
Please do not compare those two guys to Eric Staal!!!! Do you expect either Plekanek or Perezhogin to get over a 100pts this season. It will never happen NEVER!!! And what happens if next season they don't meet your expectation????

SPARTAKUS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Evil Ted

Quote:
With an idea like that you would be much more welcome on the leafs board I think they are the team who likes to trade young players for vets and everyone knows how many cups they have won that way.

at this thread

Evil Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 11:52 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Remember Last Year???!

I can't believe how short the memory of some people are.

If you recall, Perezhogin started on a line with Koivu and Kovalev and everyone was thrilled with his play. I remember comments on these boards saying that he could be the dark horse for the Calder.. a 40 goal season....

But like MANY young players, they have to learn to play RESPONSIBLY in all three zones, and Perezhogin was taken off the first line and shifted all over the place, including the 4th line for a while!

Jullien continued to play with his head and even benched the kid. For the life of me why he didn't do that to Zednik and Ribero is a reason I am glad Jullien is gone.

The kid a a ton of talent; what we do a lousy job of in this orginization is give our prospects CONFIDENCE. Look at Komi, after Jullien left, he was given a lot of ice time even when he made a mistake... he LEARNED from them, and came back stronger. Usually we would bench the guy!

The constant line juggling Jullien did really hurt both Plekanec and Perezhogin last year; but you could see them develop as the year went on.

Give the kids a few more years, as long as they put in a solid effort every night and learn from the mistakes, keep playing them. They obviously have the skills, or they wouldn't be here in the first place.

WORK ETHIC, CONFIDENCE.... the rest will come naturally!!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 12:05 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
I love these really antagonizing threads. I also love it when people post this kind of stuff.

I'll take Plekanec's 29 points in 67 games as a 3rd liner and his good defensive play.

Perez, well he still needs to be consistent, and improve in other areas but he's on his way.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 12:12 PM
Netro

I tried to resist posting in this thread, but I feel I need to now.

The key with young players like Perezhogin and Plekanec is not to look at what they have done in the NHL but what they can do in the NHL. And the importance of young players is magnified in the new salary cap NHL.

Perezhogin:
Skills: Speed, ability to get to the puck first, good along the boards, shifty one-on-one player, accurate shot with a good release and uses his body effectively in the offensive zone. A sniper.
Weaknesses: Needs to improve defensive play, needs experience (if this is a weakness), passing needs to improve, inconsistent play

Synopsis 2005-06:
Struggled consistently throughout the season, showing flashes of brilliance but went through periods where he seemed lost on the ice. (which is typical for rookies) Spent time in the AHL. Slowly played better after his call-up. Played his best hockey of the season in the playoffs, where he was the first player on dump-ins, cycled well, went to the net (had a tip-in goal), had many chances failed to capitalize.

I think the most important thing to realize is that he had a fantastic series against the Canes. This shows me something...a rookie elevating his play in the playoffs.

He is my pick as the breakout Hab in 2006-07. I expect 20 goals.

Plekanec:
Skills: Speed, excellent puck-handler, distributes the puck well, deadly accurate shot, good at face-offs, kills penalties, defensively responsible, can play any facet of the game, strong on his skates, good along the boards, makes his linemates better

Weaknesses: Size (though plays bigger than his size), youth, inexperience. Really not many weaknesses to his game

Synopsis 2005-06
Came out of the gate slowly, I remember it took him a while to get his first goal (but it was a beaut - slapshot far top corner) but then settled in nicely and was productive until he got hurt. Came back slowly after his injury but then elevated his game in the playoffs. Displayed that his lack of size was not an issue.

Two things that I realized about Plekanec: (1) He made his linemates better and this is an important quality in a centre (2) Like Perezhogin, he also raised his game come playoff time, as a rookie

I look at these 2 players and I see talent. They may not have done much in the NHL to date but I expect they will shortly. Plus, they are cheap. I am certainly happy they are Habs.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 12:45 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
I thought Perezhogin was among our most dangerous forwards during the playoffs
He was. People are way too low on him..

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 01:12 PM
BORAT

Quote:
Rds Forum = rds.ca

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 01:14 PM
Mackee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post
Perezhogin is not proven to me. But Plekanec is an underrated prospect. He wins key face-offs, he's fast and plays a gritty, two-way style of hockey. He's great on the PK, but, IMO, his greatest asset is his hockey sense. Watch him pursue the puck. He's very very good at it, creating many turnovers simply with relentless pursuit. He has terrific puck handling and other offensive skills and with some maturity he could really do some damage. I'd like to see him get a chance on the PP this year, too. He could very easily replace Ribeiro as our second line centre and I hope he does at some point this season. I suspect he wil be a 15- 20 goal scorer.
Couldn't agree more. Plekanec is money.

Mackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 01:15 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
He was. People are way too low on him..
Honestly, I don't think many are. I think alot of people on here have high expectations for him after the way he played at the end of the season.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote