HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erik Cole traded to Dallas Stars for Michael Ryder + 3rd round pick!!

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 11:36 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawdowmaker View Post
You do not trade a character player for a sniper. If Ryder doesn't score he offers what? grit-no toughness -no veteran leadership-no Defence- no game changing momentum -maybe aggressiveness no this is why he was ran out of town.
Please O mighty troll, get back under your bridge

Old
02-26-2013, 11:36 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
I once said he looked a bit like heath ledger and everyone looked at me funny.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:38 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I once said he looked a bit like heath ledger and everyone looked at me funny.
oh damn

Things will never be the same again.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:38 PM
bib
#believe

Quote:
You do not trade a character player for a sniper. If Ryder doesn't score he offers what? grit-no toughness -no veteran leadership-no Defence- no game changing momentum -maybe aggressiveness no this is why he was ran out of town.
Define character player, really.

The type of character who ponders retirement openly?

The type of character who admits they haven't been putting in their maximum effort?

The type of character who lacks commitment to training in the offseason?

Too many question marks, too much money on too many years, not enough performance.

Last edited by bib: 02-26-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old
02-26-2013, 11:39 PM
marvelousmotion

Bergevin made a good trade given the situation. As much as I liked Cole's power forward style of play last year, both his on-ice and off-ice actions this year were legitimate concerns.

Let's face it, Cole played like crap this season. He looks terribly out-of-shape, often falls on the ice for no reason, his play looks uninspired, rarely makes the effort to drive to the net anymore and looks totally gased out after only a 30 seconds shift. Despite the bad play and slow start, Therrien still gave Cole many chances to redeem himself but it failed. He was often used in crucial PP situations despite the fact that he did not deserve that playing time. Him being utilized during that 4 on 3 last night against Ottawa in OT was another example of that. After 19 games, there is a legitimate concern to believe that it's not simply a slow start.

His comments about retiring and expressed concerns about his children's high-school situation here in Montreal should not be taken lightly. Those are signs that suggest he would not have been totally happy playing here next year and that perhaps part of him wanted out. Cole's state-of-mind was not exactly pure and that is one of the reasons why he got traded. Not that he doesn't like Montreal, he simply realized during the lock-out that his family was his #1 priority and staying here would not have been best for them. Not wanting to be here after this season is something that Cole will not openly say out of respect, but his comments reflected that and Bergevin knew what was going on.

Keeping Cole represented a risk for the team with the way he was playing, especially with two more years left on his contract at not a cheap salary. It's easier to trade an aging, struggling and potentially overpaid player when he's coming off a career year and when your team is winning and sitting 1st in the conference. Given the uncertainty surrounding Cole, Bergevin got a fair return in Ryder, who has been playing some pretty good hockey in Dallas and managed to add a 3rd round draft pick. He basically unloaded a contract that was on the verge of becoming a burden with the way Cole has played and the guy's "apparent but not so apparent" desire to leave Montreal next year.

Although Ryder is not the most complete player and can be streaky, he has a lethal right-handed shot and has the tendency to score clutch goals. The Cole of last year is no doubt a better player than Ryder. However, we do not live in the past and Ryder is undeniably an upgrade over the Cole of this year. Time to move on guys.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:40 PM
hardcorehabs

Big fan of this trade. Unlike a few posters, I actually think it improves the team right now. And it's clear MB is looking forward with this deal. Doesn't see us as a cup contender this year (who knows what happens when playoffs come around) but MB is planning for the glory years to come and this move is for that reason. Love it.

Old
Erik Estrada
Nik Scherbak

I get that some people don't like the trade. But comparing MB to Réjean Houle. C'mon...

Old
shawdowmaker

I agree i am a little harsh but as a former player Cole is the type of guy i would want to go to battle with win or lose. He has that grit that the habs need.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:41 PM
Cupmonger

Losing "size" and "grit". Please, the only thing we're really trading is a player that rushes to the net, for a sniper. Ryder has thrown good body checks, while Cole doesn't really deliver good checks. Cole could fight along the boards, sure, probably better than Ryder, but probably not by much. 2 inches and about 10lbs won't change much for size... It's not as if Cole actually used his size in such ways that helped DD move around.

Neither are great defensively, neither will be used on the PK. They were both used for the offense and the PP.

On a line such as Patch-DD-Ryder, you'll have the power forward in Max, rushing the net. DD being the play maker. And Ryder being the sniper.

This move makes sense for other reasons as well.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:44 PM
McNuts

1. It would be hard for Ryder to be worse than Cole was this season and especially in the last few games. Cole was a liability and was the worst player on the team, excluding the 4th line (who still have been helping the team more than Cole in a few games).

2. Cleared up money on the cap for the next 2 years.

3. These two things alone are good. Got 3rd pick on top of it.

Last edited by McNuts: 02-26-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old
02-26-2013, 11:44 PM
shawdowmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcorehabs View Post
Big fan of this trade. Unlike a few posters, I actually think it improves the team right now. And it's clear MB is looking forward with this deal. Doesn't see us as a cup contender this year (who knows what happens when playoffs come around) but MB is planning for the glory years to come and this move is for that reason. Love it.

Doesn't see us as a cup contender
habs 86....habs 93..LA Kings 2012

Old
02-26-2013, 11:48 PM
shawdowmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bib View Post
Define character player, really.

The type of character who ponders retirement openly?

The type of character who admits they haven't been putting in their maximum effort?

The type of character who lacks commitment to training in the offseason?

Too many question marks, too much money on too many years, not enough performance.

watch the games and stop watching shows like L antichambre.

Nothing wrong with Ryder but not for Cole not for me! good night folks.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:49 PM
Help
Help Yourself

Quote:
I don t understand why MB aka Rejean Houle would trade one of his leaders when the team is doing good? Erik Cole is the prototypical power-forward off to a slow start ...who cares! he has 6PTS MP has 14 and Plek 13 wow (only in Montreal) The team has a chance to win now or at least had a chance to win. Who is next ...PK? he's already on the 3rd D line. (I miss Garbo and Gainey)

Old
02-26-2013, 11:49 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
obvious he asked for a trade
quoting myself because im wroooooooong

sad to see erik go, but oh well, good trade. moving on!

Old
02-26-2013, 11:51 PM
dangle6

i love that trade, and i love that bergevin did not wait all season to trade cole. eric was not even close to be the player he was last year and maybe we would not had something like ryder and a pick for a guy that was playing very bad this season. eric cole was invisible so far except for a few check there and there ... ryder is sure going to be invisible some night but a least, with one shot he can change the game cause he has a wicked wrist shot !

Old
02-27-2013, 12:05 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Nah Cole was coming around a bit with the physical play and improved net presence. Ryder has been hot lately but we know how streaky he is. Still one of the best wrist shots.

Really it's a fair trade.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:23 AM
odishabs

the fact that some of you are complaining about this trade is messed. We traded a bad contract for a better player with a better contract, period.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:38 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

The only maybe (and far-fetched) downside is that this may deter some UFAs from signing here without a NTC... but then again, these are handed out like candy these days.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:55 AM
Kirk Muller

I definitely think there is more to the story then simply a hockey trade.

I dont think it was about improving Montreal. If it was a hockey trade it was about cap relief in the off season while not overly hurting the current roster. Still believe there is more to it and management didnt like Coles impact on the current roster. Its rare you would see a teams who has started how Montreal has, make this move unless they felt it necessary going forward.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:14 AM
bib
#believe

Quote:
watch the games and stop watching shows like L antichambre.

Nothing wrong with Ryder but not for Cole not for me! good night folks.
You bring up interesting points, but don't compare Houle to Bergevin. You won't gain any credibility that way.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:34 AM
The Right Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
We just added a dangerous shot to our team, a 3rd round pick, saved salary and got rid of a player who didn't want to play in MTL anymore or in the NHL.
Pretty much this.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:06 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

I guess Ryder will be wearing number 37
(like he did in Boston)

Old
02-27-2013, 02:10 AM
BigNumber1Centre
Heart of Gallagher

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
I guess Ryder will be wearing number 37
(like he did in Boston)

Are you sure?

Old
02-27-2013, 02:20 AM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

Not even mad. In fact, I'm glad. Ryder's a UFA at the end of the season, so we'll have room to manoeuver in terms of signings, which we wouldn't have otherwise if we had Cole. Plus, Ryder is playing like a pure beast right now, unlike someone we know.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:21 AM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
The only maybe (and far-fetched) downside is that this may deter some UFAs from signing here without a NTC... but then again, these are handed out like candy these days.
Cole could of refused and we would of never heard about the story.

Maybe we will get to see a 24ch flash

Closed Thread