HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

The 2013 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: What type of player should we draft?
Powerforward [Centre/Winger] 10 5.92%
Two-Way Forward 1 0.59%
Playmaking Centre 8 4.73%
Goalscoring Winger 64 37.87%
Defensive-Defenseman 16 9.47%
Offensive-Defenseman 10 5.92%
Two-Way Defenseman 47 27.81%
Goaler 0 0%
Trade our 1st for an upgrade 4 2.37%
Other [Smallish Character Centres] 9 5.33%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
I think Nichushkin is signed for another two years in the KHL. I'm not sure if that means this and next or this one and two more. That will probably scare some NHL teams and I imagine Avs being one of them.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:35 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
If he is supertalented, but have some attitude-problems, why is people afraid to spend a 5th rounder on him...?
Probably for 2 reasons.

1. He was already sliding in the rankings. In fact, his family told a newspaper that part of the decision for him not to go back to Prince George was that he wasn't listed in Central Scouting's early season rankings. They apparently felt like the Cougars were partly responsible for that.

2. Attitude is a big thing for people, whether his reasons to leave the team were justified or not.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:35 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I've always liked him as a player. You sometimes can't pass up on talent just because he's made some noise and some tough decisions in his WHL career. You never really know who's driving his bus either...could be his agent or family.

Either way I wouldn't mind taking a shot on him in a later round. Is a very talented kid.
As a player I have too. Right after the last draft I joked that we should draft him with our fascination with undersized centers that played for teams with other prospects of ours. I'm very concerned with everything outside of his on ice play.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:40 PM
avsfan09

Can anyone who has watched Zadorov explain to me what sort of offensive upside he has? Does he make good passes, have decent hands? I know he has a great shot but sometimes that's not enough. What skills does he have that will translate well to the NHL?

Old
02-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Freaky Styley

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan09 View Post
Can anyone who has watched Zadorov explain to me what sort of offensive upside he has? Does he make good passes, have decent hands? I know he has a great shot but sometimes that's not enough. What skills does he have that will translate well to the NHL?
Zadorov is an all-around Dman.. he isn't going to light it up offensively or anything but he has been jumping up in the rush more of late, he is BIG and he's got a good shot. He uses his size well and makes good passes, it's hard for me to pin point one thing he does really well because he does a lot of things well. As an NHL comparable, off the top of my head I'd say a less offensive Pietrangelo or maybe Ryan Suter. Either way, he is a great player and he would be the 2nd defenseman I'd take in this draft, with Nurse a close 3rd.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:51 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
I still think drafting a defenseman where we'll pick other than Jones is a mistake. The top ten-ish forwards all have top line potential.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:55 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I still think drafting a defenseman where we'll pick other than Jones is a mistake. The top ten-ish forwards all have top line potential.
I seem to agree. If we aren't getting Jones, but are picking in the top 10, I want a FW.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:17 PM
tucker3434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I seem to agree. If we aren't getting Jones, but are picking in the top 10, I want a FW.

I agree too, unless we happen to somehow land two top ten picks...

Old
02-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
I agree too, unless we happen to somehow land two top ten picks...
BPA. Doesn't matter if they're both forwards.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Yeah, just get BPA, you can sort out the mess later, if there even is one.

The B's pretty much have nothing but centers on their roster, and that appears to be working.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:58 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
BPA. Doesn't matter if they're both forwards.
I don't know how the Avs rank the BPA between the forwards and D in this draft, but unless O'Reilly brings back a center, and the Avs miss out on Jones or McKinnon, I feel like the circumstances are so dire with Stastny's deal expiring soon, that picking a center like Monahan may outweigh the BPA approach. If he's not the BPA anyway that is, I haven't seen enough to tell, but he's ranked behind a few guys right now.

That's also if it's close, not if they think a guy like Barkov or Drouin is gonna be a superstar, and Monahan will never approach anything resembling Couturier.

Monahan could slip like Couturier did too. Especially since he won't be showcasing himself in the playoffs with the 67's being last place in the league.

Last edited by Foppa2118: 02-26-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old
02-26-2013, 06:26 PM
avsfan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
Zadorov is an all-around Dman.. he isn't going to light it up offensively or anything but he has been jumping up in the rush more of late, he is BIG and he's got a good shot. He uses his size well and makes good passes, it's hard for me to pin point one thing he does really well because he does a lot of things well. As an NHL comparable, off the top of my head I'd say a less offensive Pietrangelo or maybe Ryan Suter. Either way, he is a great player and he would be the 2nd defenseman I'd take in this draft, with Nurse a close 3rd.
Thanks. Sounds like a player who could look great playing with EJ. I thought he was more of a shutdown D-man which considering we already have Siemens and Ej would be sort of redundant. A big left handed D-man is exactly what we need.

It all depends on where we end up.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:40 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I can't start getting interested in the draft until the trade deadline or so once you have a better idea of where the team may picking and any extra picks acquired. I don't want to get my hopes up of picking a player we end up having no shot at.

Still, this thread is an interesting follow.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:51 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I don't know how the Avs rank the BPA between the forwards and D in this draft, but unless O'Reilly brings back a center, and the Avs miss out on Jones or McKinnon, I feel like the circumstances are so dire with Stastny's deal expiring soon, that picking a center like Monahan may outweigh the BPA approach. If he's not the BPA anyway that is, I haven't seen enough to tell, but he's ranked behind a few guys right now.

That's also if it's close, not if they think a guy like Barkov or Drouin is gonna be a superstar, and Monahan will never approach anything resembling Couturier.

Monahan could slip like Couturier did too. Especially since he won't be showcasing himself in the playoffs with the 67's being last place in the league.

Not sure if I'm misreading your post but Barkov is a center and much better than Monahan. If he's there when we pick the Avs should be all over that, and Lindholm after that. I am kind of curious as to whether we legitimately scout Europe enough - depending where we finish this season, we might find out how strong the Avs CHL bias is.

@ Freudian, I'm pretty sure Nichushkin's deal is for 2 more years after this one.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:40 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
Drouin is really growing on me, he reminds me of Duchene's rise when it was supposed to be Tavares and Hedman as the clear cut top guys.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:38 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
I think Zadorov has little to no offensive potential, actually I believe Siemens has more than him. He does have an insane shot, but you haven't told him his best ability.......he is oneofnthe best hitters I have seen in junior hockey, to the point I think he will be better than Wilson.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:43 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Not sure if I'm misreading your post but Barkov is a center and much better than Monahan. If he's there when we pick the Avs should be all over that, and Lindholm after that. I am kind of curious as to whether we legitimately scout Europe enough - depending where we finish this season, we might find out how strong the Avs CHL bias is.

@ Freudian, I'm pretty sure Nichushkin's deal is for 2 more years after this one.
Monahan is a playmaking centre that has improved his overall game this year. Barkov was already playing his shutdown role as a 17 year old in the WJC and breasted at it. Also Barkov can either haunt you with his shot or passing ability. Hard to knock off the puck as well, but I think he can improve his first stride. One hell of a player, picture a consistent version of our Jones and Couturier combind and that is what you get.

Not a big fan of Lindholm, pretty overrated IMO. He reminds me of a less tlameted version of Drouin. I wouldn't be mad if we took him, but not between 4th to 7th.

Yup Nichushkin is a top 5 player in this draft, but will definitely fall because of his contract situation.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:47 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

Barkov is a monster and I really want him on this team. Seems unlikely though, whoever drafts 4th will take him.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:00 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:

Is Barkov 100% a center, I thought he'd played a lot of wing? I could be wrong.

I'm not saying Monahan is a better player than Barkov. I haven't seen either that much, but I would tend to agree Barkov is probably better. He seems like a great player. I'm just saying Monahan being in that Couturier mold is perfect to replace O'Reilly, or O'Reilly and Staz for that matter. And given what a tough position they may be in facing losing both, the BPA strategy may not hold firm in this draft if they think a guy like Monahan is at least close to the other guys.

I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if the Avs ended up with Lindholm, unless they pick in the mid round, and he slips there. There's just been very little european scouting influence on the Avs picks in recent years. Pracey's beloved OHL has stood tall, and that's where Monahan plays.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:03 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Is he 100% a center, I thought he'd played a lot of wing? I could be wrong.

I'm not saying Monahan is a better player than Barkov. I haven't seen either that much, but I would tend to agree Barkov is probably better. I'm just saying Monahan being in that Couturier mold is perfect to replace O'Reilly, or O'Reilly and Staz for that matter.

I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if the Avs ended up with Lindholm, unless the Avs pick in the mid round, and he slips there. There's just been very little european scouting influence on the Avs picks in recent years. Pracey's beloved OHL has stood tall, and that's where Monahan plays.

He's a pure center, Lindholm does play some wing though, and I wonder if you're thinking of Drouin's situation for Barkov (was a center before moving to wing to play with Mac). Barkov reminds me of Thornton out there, or Couturier as well actually.

I agree though that the Avs would probably go with a CHL player over Barkov/Lindholm. Certainly over Nichushkin who I agree with Seph is a top 5 player in this draft.

I'm not a huge fan of Monahan but I would be happy to take him if we end up picking 7-9.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:04 AM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Elias Lindholm is outscoring Nicklas Bäckström in his draft year playing on the same team. I would love him.

Burakovsky and De La Rose are two swedes I dont get the hype about at all.

Alexander Wennberg will be the Zibanejad or H.Lindholm for this years draft. Climbing every month and will go very high in the end. I'm not even sure I would want Lindholm over Wennberg.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:06 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Elias Lindholm is outscoring Nicklas Bäckström in his draft year playing on the same team. I would love him.

Burakovsky and De La Rose are two swedes I dont get the hype about at all.

Alexander Wennberg will be the Zibanejad or H.Lindholm for this years draft. Climbing every month and will go very high in the end. I'm not even sure I would want Lindholm over Wennberg.
I've seen Lindholm by far the least of the top guys since I've made a point to try to watch Barkov and Nichushkin wherever I can (still not that much obviously), but his skill level is pretty unreal.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:10 AM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Quote:
I've seen Lindholm by far the least of the top guys since I've made a point to try to watch Barkov and Nichushkin wherever I can (still not that much obviously), but his skill level is pretty unreal.
The swedes compare him to Forsberg all the time. Due to how he mixes his skill and toughness all the time.

Wennberg is still my Swedish wildcard. our Swedish scout Anders Carlsson was actually at Djurgårdens latest game scouting Wennberg and he scored a beauty and Anders was over the moon.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:11 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
He's a pure center, Lindholm does play some wing though, and I wonder if you're thinking of Drouin's situation for Barkov (was a center before moving to wing to play with Mac). Barkov reminds me of Thornton out there, or Couturier as well actually.

I agree though that the Avs would probably go with a CHL player over Barkov/Lindholm. Certainly over Nichushkin who I agree with Seph is a top 5 player in this draft.

I'm not a huge fan of Monahan but I would be happy to take him if we end up picking 7-9.
No, I was thinking of Barkov. For some reason I thought he was one of those guys that had played center, but also a lot of wing, and was better suited for that. I'll defer to your judgement though as you seem more confident than I am in that regard so you're probably right.

In regard to your last sentence, I think that's potentially a perfect storm. That's where ISS ranks him right now, he's not gonna be showcasing himself in the playoffs, and the Avs very well could be picking in that range.

That's kind of why I feel like he's the most likely guy we end up with, unless Drouin slips too. I'm not quite as impressed with Monahan as I was Couturier though, so that gives me a slight concern. It's not a strong feeling by any means, but there's a little something missing between the two if you're looking at solid all around players with the potential to have a dynamic offensive element in the NHL. I'm very mildly concerned with that offense translating in a way like Coutuier where you can tell he's got that dynamic element in his back pocket if he needs it, or is given a chance. It's obviously really hard to peg guys like that though.

Last edited by Foppa2118: 02-27-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old
02-27-2013, 10:58 AM
GeoffL19

vCash: 800
If the Avs draft outside of the top-5, based on Pracey's history and love for hard-working, character, Canadian Junior players, Monahan or Shinkaruk will be who they pick.

Closed Thread