HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

EDM-NYR: Eberle+Whitney for McDonagh+Asham

Old
02-27-2013, 03:05 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

vCash: 500
EDM-NYR: Eberle+Whitney for McDonagh+Asham

NYR needs some scoring, and the Oilers need some D. I feel NYR is pretty stacked in that regard, so I'm going go throw this out there:

To EDM:
Ryan McDonaugh (1.3M - due for big RFA payout)
Aaron Asham (1M)

To NYR:
Jordan Eberle (6M x 6yr)
Ryan Whitney (4M - UFA)

Gives NYR a true RW to play with B.Rich and a warm body on the backend in Whitney, while Edmonton gets some bottom-6 grit with Asham and a top-pairing Dman to work with Schultz heading into the future. Whitney's an impending UFA that's money off the books for NYR in the off-season. He could honestly turn it around - just needs a setting change.

Is this fair? If not what do NYR/EDM need to add?

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:09 AM
Killem Dafoe
give me the formuoli

vCash: 50
I don't know if EDM does this. McD is top notch but Rangers might have to add here.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:14 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
I don't know if EDM does this. McD is top notch but Rangers might have to add here.
Are the Rangers desperate enough to make such a trade?

I feel it gives them a huge boost offensively, and they have enough depth at D (Staal, MDZ, Girardi, Stralman) to replace McDonaugh.

This may be a bit steep of a price from EDM, but the extra parts (Asham, Whitney) can easily be re-assessed. The main question here is if an Ebs-for-McD trade would interest the Rangers?

Old
02-27-2013, 03:15 AM
BlueDream

No. McDonagh is a great defenseman but downgrading Eberle to Asham up front is awful. No way Edmonton does that.

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:24 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
No. McDonagh is a great defenseman but downgrading Eberle to Asham up front is awful. No way Edmonton does that.
I'm thinking this is a deal the Oilers make pending a few events

1) ROR offer-sheet
2) Gagner trade for a bigger RW to replace Eberle (Gagner+MPS for B. Ryan?)
3) Yakupov elevated to replace Eberle's "role"

Oilers are stacked at RW right now with Yakupov/Eberle/Hemsky. It's stupid when one of them has to look out-of-place on the LW just to get minutes. If ROR can be attained then I'd be really interested in seeing what moving Hemsky/Eberle can do for changing the culture of our top-6.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:29 AM
Killem Dafoe
give me the formuoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Are the Rangers desperate enough to make such a trade?

I feel it gives them a huge boost offensively, and they have enough depth at D (Staal, MDZ, Girardi, Stralman) to replace McDonaugh.

This may be a bit steep of a price from EDM, but the extra parts (Asham, Whitney) can easily be re-assessed. The main question here is if an Ebs-for-McD trade would interest the Rangers?
Well as much as anyone in NY would love Eberle in a Ranger jersey, I'm sure Sather would try to trade almost anyone else before resorting to McDonagh. The main issure would be EDM not accepting that trade regardless. If they were to shop Eberle I think they would be getting way more ridiculous offers than McDonagh and Asham.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:42 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I LOVE McDonaugh, but he's not a hockey god.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:45 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
So a #1RW is more important than a top-pairing defenseman? Especially with Yakupov in the wings?

This is the type of trade the Oilers would get incredibly better off of, but fans and GM are too afraid to make.

The value is there. McDonaugh could eat up 25 minutes a night for this team, and is young enough (23) to be here for when the team begins to peak. Him and Schultz would be an incredible pairing.

I think the offensive benefit of having an Eberle (especially on your PP) will make the Rangers that much more dangerous. McDonagh is a heavy price to pay, but when you have MDZ/Staal/Girardi already, his absence won't be felt as bad as it may seem.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:46 AM
crt

Quote:
But Eberle is?

crt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:49 AM
TheRightWay

Quote:
Agreed, he's no Jordan Eberle

Jordan Eberle is a nice little player for sure, is a year removed from a very impressive season, and could be a consistent all-star caliber player in this league. But Ryan McDonagh is already a #1 defenseman and could very well push himself into the top-10 category. Defensemen like McDonagh are significantly harder to acquire than forwards like Eberle, and that's not a shot at Eberle.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:53 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post

Jordan Eberle is a nice little player for sure, is a year removed from a very impressive season, and could be a consistent all-star caliber player in this league. But Ryan McDonagh is already a #1 defenseman and could very well push himself into the top-10 category. Defensemen like McDonagh are significantly harder to acquire than forwards like Eberle, and that's not a shot at Eberle.
Completely agreed. But to this date Eberle's accomplished far more on an individual level than McDonagh - making it teeter a bit closer to a fair deal. McDonagh's potential being this solid a Dman at 23 makes him a really valuable asset.

But I think the Rangers are in win-now mode, and could use an already-established star in Eberle over a blossoming talent like McDonagh, especially with the other big-3 Dmen there.

This would change the complexion of both teams. NYR gets much more offensive spunk, and the Oilers get an intense upgrade on D, helping to avoid Smid-Petry playing above themselves on the top pairing.

I know Justin Schultz isn't ready YET for the top-pairing, but I wouldn't mind Petry moon-lighting up there until he's ready.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:54 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
NYR needs some scoring, and the Oilers need some D. I feel NYR is pretty stacked in that regard, so I'm going go throw this out there:

To EDM:
Ryan McDonaugh (1.3M - due for big RFA payout)
Aaron Asham (1M)

To NYR:
Jordan Eberle (6M x 6yr)
Ryan Whitney (4M - UFA)

Gives NYR a true RW to play with B.Rich and a warm body on the backend in Whitney, while Edmonton gets some bottom-6 grit with Asham and a top-pairing Dman to work with Schultz heading into the future. Whitney's an impending UFA that's money off the books for NYR in the off-season. He could honestly turn it around - just needs a setting change.

Is this fair? If not what do NYR/EDM need to add?
asham is a 34 year old who is a third/4th liner--Oilers have eager for the role--he is a wash for whitney--oilers have too many players on the third and 4th line already and have people fighting for that job

I like Ryan M--but the oilers have Petry and Schultz on the roster and Klefbom coming next year--If the oilers out eberle on the table we would want OEL from Phoenix like return

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:55 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

It would be a fair trade for sure. (McDonagh/eberle)

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:57 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
asham is a 34 year old who is a third/4th liner--Oilers have eager for the role--he is a wash for whitney--oilers have too many players on the third and 4th line already and have people fighting for that job

I like Ryan M--but the oilers have Petry and Schultz on the roster and Klefbom coming next year--If the oilers out eberle on the table we would want OEL from Phoenix like return
If I could get OEL instead of McDonagh I would as well.

But PHX isn't dealing OEL - he brings more to the table for that team than any of our young guns could ever.

And they, unlike NYR, are actually doing well. Tippet has set up a great system that allows them to compete (WCF last year) - and it's centered around defensemen like OEL. They have no reason to consider moving him (like STL with Pietrangelo). These guys are the fixtures of their teams, their systems would completely fall apart if these guys were gone.
I still maintain that STL would have beaten LAK in the 2nd round last year if Pietrangelo didn't get injured. He was a shade of himself when he came back later on in the series.

NYR needs a bit of a culture change. Lundqvist is a Vezina-calibre goalie, and stacking themselves at D is a bit redundant when you have him there. Getting a forward like Eberle turns the tables for them offensively, and makes them that much more threatening a scoring group.

It's similar to what Boston won the cup with a couple years back. You have an elite top-3 goaltender (Thomas) in net. You don't need to over-stack your defense to compete (After Chara-Seidenberg, it was a bunch of #4-6 defensemen in that lineup)

Old
02-27-2013, 04:03 AM
Ice Whole

Definitely a no. Why would we trade Eberle? He WANTS to be here. He is a core player and he has lead our team in points for the last 2 years. What more could we want out of him? People are quick to point out that he is off to a slow start but his stats are similar to what he had last year after 18 games. I know the Oilers need to upgrade D and need more size up front but the Oilers will trade prospects, picks, Hemsky, Gagner, Paajarvi etc. before they even think about moving Eberle. McDonaugh is a great player and I would love to have him but not for Eberle.

Ice Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:07 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic Duo 934 View Post
Definitely a no. Why would we trade Eberle? He WANTS to be here. He is a core player and he has lead our team in points for the last 2 years. What more could we want out of him? People are quick to point out that he is off to a slow start but his stats are similar to what he had last year after 18 games. I know the Oilers need to upgrade D and need more size up front but the Oilers will trade prospects, picks, Hemsky, Gagner, Paajarvi etc. before they even think about moving Eberle. McDonaugh is a great player and I would love to have him but not for Eberle.
Ok. So tell me what your plan is for acquiring a top pairing defenseman for this team in the coming 1-2 years.

Lord knows there's no such defenseman available as a UFA this off-season.

You're sure not getting one for Hemsky/Gagner/MPS. You have to give quality to get quality my friend. This is like the Hossa-Heatley trade in 2005 - both teams benefited incredibly. But here EDM/NYR are taking care of big deficiencies in their rosters - they stand to gain so much more with such a deal.

And do you really want to try to compete (especially with the new league realignment) with a top-6 featuring all 3 of Yaks/Ebs/RNH? We'd get eaten alive.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:23 AM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Ok. So tell me what your plan is for acquiring a top pairing defenseman for this team in the coming 1-2 years.

Lord knows there's no such defenseman available as a UFA this off-season.

You're sure not getting one for Hemsky/Gagner/MPS. You have to give quality to get quality my friend. This is like the Hossa-Heatley trade in 2005 - both teams benefited incredibly. But here EDM/NYR are taking care of big deficiencies in their rosters - they stand to gain so much more with such a deal.

And do you really want to try to compete (especially with the new league realignment) with a top-6 featuring all 3 of Yaks/Ebs/RNH? We'd get eaten alive.
You dont trade your top player in order to fill another hole though. I get we are lacking a top pairing defencemen but that is up to management to figure out (hopefully they are capable of it). Eberle just signed an extension with us, you really think the Oilers have even considered trading him?

Old
02-27-2013, 04:40 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
You dont trade your top player in order to fill another hole though. I get we are lacking a top pairing defencemen but that is up to management to figure out (hopefully they are capable of it). Eberle just signed an extension with us, you really think the Oilers have even considered trading him?
I believe Ottawa/ATL had just done the same with Hossa/Heatley when that deal was made.

If the timing is right, you pull the trade, no matter what the contract stands at.

Vancouver waited like 10 games to move Sturm for Booth a year back, why can't the Oilers make a similar deal?

Old
02-27-2013, 04:48 AM
oilwings

Quote:
Nope not happening. The Oilers right now are destined for a top 2 pick. Seth Jones might be available. Eberle wants to be an Oiler for life not so sure about McDonaugh.

Then the Oiler's dcore next yr:

Jones J. Schultz
Klefbom N. Schultz
Smid Petry

oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:49 AM
Kesler2Kesler
Yup

Quote:
I believe Ottawa/ATL had just done the same with Hossa/Heatley when that deal was made.

If the timing is right, you pull the trade, no matter what the contract stands at.

Vancouver waited like 10 games to move Sturm for Booth a year back, why can't the Oilers make a similar deal?
Those two contracts aren't even comparable.

Kesler2Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:58 AM
Ice Whole

Quote:

It's honestly a very rare situation that something like that happens. If you look at how recent cup winners got their top defencemens, they either developed them, or signed them through free agency. Kings with Doughty. Boston with Chara. Chicago with Keith. Obviously there were other factors that helped them win but I'm talking specifically about their number 1 defencemens. Sometimes you have to be patient and wait for the right move. Right now, there is no one available unfortunately and we have to deal with that. Of course there will be speculation of guys like Yandle being available and if they are, you hope that management gets in on that but you dont overpay to fill a need.

I get as an Oilers fan, you are frustrated with the way things have been going these past few seasons and how the management has been incompetent but that doesn't necessarily mean you got out and trade one of the better player on your team. We already know what we have with Eberle, he is only 22 and already has a 70+ point season under the belt.

Old
02-27-2013, 05:53 AM
bacon25

Why Eberle gets thrown around in trades still amazes me. By far the most untouchable player on the Oilers roster. McDounagh doesn't even come close to his value as of yet.

bacon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:31 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

McDonagh is the best defenseman on the Rangers.

The Rangers don't need another right winger. Their top 3 forwards all right wingers.

No thank you.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:36 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post

I agree with this.

Its a lot harder to get a legitimate top pairing / #1 D as opposed to a top line winger. Plenty of teams have shown you dont need highly skilled PPG wingers to win in this league, high end Dmen are more important to winning.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:38 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon25 View Post
Why Eberle gets thrown around in trades still amazes me. By far the most untouchable player on the Oilers roster. McDounagh doesn't even come close to his value as of yet.
I would have guessed that was RNH?

#1 Centres are harder to get, Eberle is 3 years older so im assuming RNH will be putting up comparable points in a few years, and Edm has Hall/Yakupov on the wing as well.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote