HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winger Acquisition Thread | Part V: Wingers in the Hands of an Angry (Hockey) God

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-27-2013, 12:04 AM
  #901
cheesedanish87
Registered User
 
cheesedanish87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
The Carolina Hurricanes say 'hi' and 'thanks' (4g, 10a, +10):

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...min-capitals-/

“As a person, as a player, we can’t ask for any more,” Hurricanes captain Eric Staal said. “He’s been bringing it for practice and games and competing well. He’s been a lot of fun to play with. He’s a good player that obviously thinks on an elite level.”

After building up a reputation with the Caps of being a supremely talented winger with inconsistency in his game and his habits, Semin is making the most of a fresh start in Carolina. Not only has he produced, but the 28-year-old has endeared himself to teammates and coach Kirk Muller.

“I don’t know where he’s getting this rep from, but he’s been working hard and doing a lot of good things,” Hurricanes center Jordan Staal said. “Obviously everyone knows that he’s talented, but I think that he does have that work ethic that not everyone sees. He’s a great teammate. He’s done so many good things for our team.”

His teammates in carolina were asked questions about him their not gonna rip their teammates to the media. I dont care if he scores 50 goals this year he produced in Washington to hes not the type of a guy you want on your team hes a cancer to a locker room has a history of taking playoff games off. Your not gonna win anything with guys like him on your team.

cheesedanish87 is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 12:53 AM
  #902
Saints11
Registered User
 
Saints11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
Might be the wrong place; but, unless they are going to move him or send him back to WBS, Despres needs to be in the lineup, PERIOD!

Saints11 is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 02:29 AM
  #903
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints11 View Post
As much as Stempniak fits the Shero mold..ie he's an American, I'm not sure his lack of physicality would be what we need. I'm thinking he might just be a smaller version of Seto. Would love to get Iggy, but I think this week will tell a lot. If BB shows he can handle the additional minutes during this road trip, then possibly the need might be to acquire a single forward, like Iggy. However, if things don't pan out, then we might need to get two forwards, which may limit our cap capability to secure Iggy plus 1. If Beau plays well, then it may be a forward and a bigger experienced crease cleaner, like Murray.
There's a big difference between the two. One is a consistent 20g+ guy. The other is very very inconsistent. A couple 25g seasons and multiple <15g seasons. I'll take Seto long before him. The main difference will be the cost to acquire them.

__________________
"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is online now  
Old
02-27-2013, 03:39 AM
  #904
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 11,317
vCash: 500
I got bored and thought about the idea of David Jones on the Penguins, so I went over to NHL.com and watched every goal he scored for the Avs, as many as that site had on him.

He's struggling right now which makes him an easier "get" but the way he plays...he would be amazing on Crosby's wing. He's in the slot with a good shot and has the size and the wheels to keep up. Moving TK and opening up that 3rd line spot would allow the team to move Dupuis there, where he would be a natural fit and put Jones in the top 6. Whenever Geno returns, the top 6 has a better option of wingers even if Dupuis is back in the top 6, having another off wing shot on Geno's left would be pretty nice too, especially since he has a pretty heavy shot himself. 4m/yr isn't that bad if he can regain his 20 goal form, watching his goals, he definitely can do it.

Kunitz, Crosby, Jones
Bennett, Malkin, Neal
Cooke, Sutter, Dupuis
Glass, Vitale/Jeffrey, Adams

Honour Over Glory is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 03:40 AM
  #905
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 11,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints11 View Post
Might be the wrong place; but, unless they are going to move him or send him back to WBS, Despres needs to be in the lineup, PERIOD!
I don't mind Despres in the AHL at this point. He'll get top minutes there and be the go to guy if he plays like he's earned it. I'd rather they rotated Eaton & Bortuzzo in and out of the line-up. A little more experience on that blueline might not be a bad thing, since Bylsma's system is on exlax right now.

Honour Over Glory is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 03:43 AM
  #906
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 11,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
His teammates in carolina were asked questions about him their not gonna rip their teammates to the media. I dont care if he scores 50 goals this year he produced in Washington to hes not the type of a guy you want on your team hes a cancer to a locker room has a history of taking playoff games off. Your not gonna win anything with guys like him on your team.
Semin is insanely skilled and under Boudreau, a lot of the guys didn't bring it as often as they should. From what I can see from the guy, Semin is playing hard every night, he's been consistent.People whine and complain about lazy players, Setoguchi is one, but everyone wants him, Chris Stewart is another, but everyone wants him. It's funny, if he's "your type of lazy player" it's all good.

Semin can play RW and LW and his shot is probably top 3 in the league, skill alone, he's easily a top 10 guy.

And really, we're giving credit to Troy Brouwer for his comments? The guy is an idiot, read more of his interviews, there is a reason the Hawks weren't sad about moving him.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...chal-neuvirth/


Last edited by Honour Over Glory: 02-27-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Honour Over Glory is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 05:05 AM
  #907
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 12,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
I don't mind Despres in the AHL at this point. He'll get top minutes there and be the go to guy if he plays like he's earned it.
I just threw up in a my mouth a little.

Tender Rip is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 08:11 AM
  #908
SherogoesHAM
Registered User
 
SherogoesHAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 250
vCash: 500
If a team would overpay for Letang, I hope Shero would at least consider it. He is reckless. Plays unbelievably 95% of the time then very careless the other 5%. Like that Philly stunt last year and the way he is playing this year, I could see him pull a similar thing this year. Not to mention, he is horrible on the PP.

SherogoesHAM is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 08:22 AM
  #909
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,830
vCash: 500
Yeah but this team also plays way worse when Letang is out of the lineup. I agree that the guy is a total high wire act out there because of the risks he takes and the occasional bad that comes from it but we really don't have a guy that makes him expendable currently.

Captain Hook is online now  
Old
02-27-2013, 08:22 AM
  #910
Fire Shero*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,440
vCash: 500
Well teams have started making moves, hopefully Shero is doing something.

I'm still annoyed with Shero after a disastrous offseason. He could have salvaged it by signing Semin. I know he isn't your typical Shero/Bylsma player since he has skill and not a grinder.

Now we are going to trade assets to acquire a player like Setoguchi who isn't half the player Semin is. Or whatever mediocre players whose names have been thrown out on these threads.

The winger problem should have been addressed this summer.

If Malkin wasn't a penguin and a free agent do you think Shero would even offer him a contract since he isn't a grinder and is russian?

Fire Shero* is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 08:45 AM
  #911
PensFan68
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
His teammates in carolina were asked questions about him their not gonna rip their teammates to the media. I dont care if he scores 50 goals this year he produced in Washington to hes not the type of a guy you want on your team hes a cancer to a locker room has a history of taking playoff games off. Your not gonna win anything with guys like him on your team.
I agree they wouldn't say otherwise, but just from watching him it seems as if he's not like is reputation. The games I've watched, he comes back and plays D too.

I don't know if Shero tried to get him or not and he chose elsewhere, but I'm still disappointed he isn't here. He would be a huge asset, and on a one year deal it wasn't that big of a risk. Once again, he may have chosen there instead of here, but I doubt Shero even made an offer.

PensFan68 is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 08:46 AM
  #912
specialized
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 636
vCash: 500
How does philly get Gagne for a 4th round pick? how come the pens did not offer a 3rd?

specialized is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 08:53 AM
  #913
PensFan68
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
Well teams have started making moves, hopefully Shero is doing something.

I'm still annoyed with Shero after a disastrous offseason. He could have salvaged it by signing Semin. I know he isn't your typical Shero/Bylsma player since he has skill and not a grinder.

Now we are going to trade assets to acquire a player like Setoguchi who isn't half the player Semin is. Or whatever mediocre players whose names have been thrown out on these threads.

The winger problem should have been addressed this summer.
If Malkin wasn't a penguin and a free agent do you think Shero would even offer him a contract since he isn't a grinder and is russian?
While I completely agree we should have a winger, Shero took a risk. He put all his eggs in one basket, and Parise ended up choosing to go elsewhere. After that, I don't think he wanted Semin, and he didn't seem to want to take a risk on someone like Wolski/Mueller either. Maybe a trade should've been made, but I guess he wanted to go though some of the season maybe to up player value (having Despres play to get some NHL minutes), or he thought we'd be ok. Who knows, but I don't really fault him for going all out on Parise.

PensFan68 is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 09:04 AM
  #914
Fire Shero*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68 View Post
While I completely agree we should have a winger, Shero took a risk. He put all his eggs in one basket, and Parise ended up choosing to go elsewhere. After that, I don't think he wanted Semin, and he didn't seem to want to take a risk on someone like Wolski/Mueller either. Maybe a trade should've been made, but I guess he wanted to go though some of the season maybe to up player value (having Despres play to get some NHL minutes), or he thought we'd be ok. Who knows, but I don't really fault him for going all out on Parise.
I don't either, but Semin was still available after he couldn't land Parise. Not a bad consolation prize considering your only other option was playing Tangradi in the top 6. Shockingly that didnt work.

Fire Shero* is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 09:05 AM
  #915
PensFan68
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
I got bored and thought about the idea of David Jones on the Penguins, so I went over to NHL.com and watched every goal he scored for the Avs, as many as that site had on him.

He's struggling right now which makes him an easier "get" but the way he plays...he would be amazing on Crosby's wing. He's in the slot with a good shot and has the size and the wheels to keep up. Moving TK and opening up that 3rd line spot would allow the team to move Dupuis there, where he would be a natural fit and put Jones in the top 6. Whenever Geno returns, the top 6 has a better option of wingers even if Dupuis is back in the top 6, having another off wing shot on Geno's left would be pretty nice too, especially since he has a pretty heavy shot himself. 4m/yr isn't that bad if he can regain his 20 goal form, watching his goals, he definitely can do it.

Kunitz, Crosby, Jones
Bennett, Malkin, Neal
Cooke, Sutter, Dupuis
Glass, Vitale/Jeffrey, Adams
I would worry about Jones. I'd still rather take a risk on Malone staying healthy. Jones has a big body, but really isn't all that physical. I could surely see him becoming the new whipping boy if TK was moved.

PensFan68 is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 09:07 AM
  #916
PensFan68
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
I don't either, but Semin was still available after he couldn't land Parise. Not a bad consolation prize considering your only other option was playing Tangradi in the top 6. Shockingly that didnt work.
I agree. I was pushing for Semin for the couple weeks (or whatever) after Parise went to the Wild. He may not be the physical winger we need, but he'd surely look great in our top 6.

PensFan68 is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 09:07 AM
  #917
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YinzerpenguiN View Post
How does philly get Gagne for a 4th round pick? how come the pens did not offer a 3rd?
Gagne isn't the great winger you remember from his prime in Philly anymore. We need to acquire someone that we know is a shore fire upgrade. Too many question marks with Gagne because of his health, declining production and had been a healthy scratch quite a bit this season in LA.

Captain Hook is online now  
Old
02-27-2013, 09:10 AM
  #918
Fire Shero*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Gagne isn't the great winger you remember from his prime in Philly anymore. We need to acquire someone that we know is a shore fire upgrade. Too many question marks with Gagne because of his health, declining production and had been a healthy scratch quite a bit this season in LA.
Agreed, gagne wouldn't add much

Fire Shero* is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 09:14 AM
  #919
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68 View Post
I would worry about Jones. I'd still rather take a risk on Malone staying healthy. Jones has a big body, but really isn't all that physical. I could surely see him becoming the new whipping boy if TK was moved.
Yeah, I think Jones would be a whipping boy here.

I wouldn't take that contract unless Colorado ate some of the cap hit which I doubt they would do since they just signed him to that deal. Hard to imagine they'd change their mind about him being worth that contract so quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68 View Post
I agree. I was pushing for Semin for the couple weeks (or whatever) after Parise went to the Wild. He may not be the physical winger we need, but he'd surely look great in our top 6.
I wanted him too and he's looked great in Carolina. He better be looking great out there since he's getting 7 million this year. I'm not sure he would have signed here even if we offered the same salary. I think it would have been a little awkward fit here given some of the history with our players and I highly doubt Ray Shero viewed him as a 7 million dollar player even on a one year deal.

Captain Hook is online now  
Old
02-27-2013, 09:16 AM
  #920
cheesedanish87
Registered User
 
cheesedanish87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Semin is insanely skilled and under Boudreau, a lot of the guys didn't bring it as often as they should. From what I can see from the guy, Semin is playing hard every night, he's been consistent.People whine and complain about lazy players, Setoguchi is one, but everyone wants him, Chris Stewart is another, but everyone wants him. It's funny, if he's "your type of lazy player" it's all good.

Semin can play RW and LW and his shot is probably top 3 in the league, skill alone, he's easily a top 10 guy.

And really, we're giving credit to Troy Brouwer for his comments? The guy is an idiot, read more of his interviews, there is a reason the Hawks weren't sad about moving him.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...chal-neuvirth/

Maybe he has changed so far this year i dunno. Doesn't mean he wouldn't go back to his old habits later on in the year. Even if u dont want to put any stock into what Brouwer said Semin has had that exact reputation. If I was the gm of a team I wouldn't want anybody on my team with that type of reputation.

cheesedanish87 is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 09:21 AM
  #921
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 29,128
vCash: 500
When did Setoguchi become consistent? There's a reason this guy gets bounced up and down the lineup from line to line, from center to center. There's little consistency in his game. In fact, I would say Stempniak is the more consistent player since the latter moved away from Toronto (Phx and Cgy). Not suggesting we should target Stempniak because I'm not (unless or until we get rid of Kennedy, because Stempniak is a third-line RW), but I don't see how he is anymore inconsistent than Setoguchi is.

As for Letang, be CAREFUL what you wish for if you want him gone. I love how everybody is now drinking the Paul Martin-Brooks Orpik Kool-Aid this season. Yeah, they've done the job as the shutdown pairing. We're just as undisciplined and scatter-brained in the defensive zone this season, though. No, it's not their fault per se. But take away Letang's 24 minutes a night, and you will NOT be improving this team's defensive structure...you'd simply be trading away your best defenseman.

As Tender pointed out in the post-game thread last night, Letang is a stellar five-on-five player. Everybody disses him on the PP, and yes he definitely is way too hesitant to shoot the puck when we set him up for the one timer, but Letang would be fine as the fifth option on the PP if we went with the four forwards model. He's struggling there this year, and Martin is definitely outplaying him on the PP, but I don't trust Martin to continue his current level of play.

Trade Letang and keep Martin (medium term)? Hell no.

Jag68Sid87 is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 09:23 AM
  #922
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 25,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
How come the freaking flyers, who btw already has better forwards than us, find gems for a 4th rounder and we still havent adressed our winger situation?
You're losing it there bud... this is a very minor trade. Gagne is a shell of his former self and made of glass as someone else pointed out. This is not equivalent to us signing Jagr (i.e. good player back for glory). It's equivalent to us bringing Bill Guerin out of retirement (except for the greasy hair and made of glass part).

ALSO TO CLARIFY for everyone, this might've been posted already but Philly will give up an ADDITIONAL 2013 3rd round pick if they make the playoffs. There's better than a 50% chance of that IMO so basically Philly just picked up a guy who's 3 months from retirement for a 3rd and 4th round pick. Closer to Full Holmgren than I anticipated.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
Can someone tell me what we would realistically have to give up for Perry at the deadline? Any idea at all.
He's either re-signing or it will be a bidding war IMO. Expect a minimum of good roster player + a top D prospect + 1st round draft pick... probably more. Kunitz + Maatta + 1st might be a good starting point but it's all guesswork. Put in this way, we're not getting him by sending them a roster player like Niskanen.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba2 View Post
Would Shero have any interest in Danny Briere?
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
I ****ING WANT HORTON!!!
Not trying to be a jerk but why do people have such a hard time understanding the concept that the top teams in our conference... will not be sending us talented players to complete our Cup roster. Ever. Both of these trades would be like us sending them Chris Kunitz. Does anyone think there's any chance in hell we'd trade Chris Kunitz (or even Dupuis) to Philly or Boston, mid-season??

The only eastern teams that might trade us a good player or player with good upside are doormatt teams that are a couple years away from competing. Given upcoming re-alignment, CBJ would qualify, as would the Panthers potentially (depending on whether Tallon wants to partially blow the team up given this year's draft quality). We're not getting good players from competitive rivals. At most we might swap minor league players and draft picks or 4th line types.

Even Toronto looks iffy right now as they're playing very well all of a sudden.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
His teammates in carolina were asked questions about him their not gonna rip their teammates to the media. I dont care if he scores 50 goals this year he produced in Washington to hes not the type of a guy you want on your team hes a cancer to a locker room has a history of taking playoff games off. Your not gonna win anything with guys like him on your team.
I was never in favor of giving Semin $6-7M to have a "tryout" here. He definitely was a high risk player. But the fact is he seems to have turned himself around. He's not the same guy he was in Washington, OR the atmosphere in Washington is so toxic that maybe he's got a bit of an eccentric personality or something and was ridiculed there when things weren't going well. Who the hell knows. But I'm willing at this point to say he's made efforts to improve his work ethic and attitude. I don't see the Staal brothers saying stuff like that if it weren't true. So good for him, but there was plenty of reason to be leery of the guy last summer.


Last edited by Darth Vitale: 02-27-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 09:24 AM
  #923
cheesedanish87
Registered User
 
cheesedanish87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,548
vCash: 500
I know its only been 2 games but I haven't noticed much of a difference with Neal on sid's line instead of Dupuis. If anything seemed like the line was going better with Dupuis more then Neal and the last 2 games were against two of the worst def and goal tending in the league. We will see how it goes but maybe sid's better with guys like Kunitz and Dupuis then a sniper like Neal.

cheesedanish87 is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 09:26 AM
  #924
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 25,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherogoesHAM View Post
If a team would overpay for Letang, I hope Shero would at least consider it. He is reckless .
Maybe... it would have to be one hell of an overpayment to be worth it (including a Top 4 quality D coming back).

I'd much rather try to ship Orpik out first and see what we can get.

Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
02-27-2013, 09:34 AM
  #925
Saints11
Registered User
 
Saints11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
Semin....Leopards and spots.....they don't change...time will tell. David Jones is a player I think could have a large impact on the Pens. Words coming out of Colorado now are similar to what was being said about Chris Stewart. Get Jones out of the West; bring him East and he'd be a huge get. Not interested in Malone, that ship has sailed. It would be like Gagne going to Philly; what use to be isn't always the present. Just hope that Shero acts quickly before others do. If Iggy is his guy, go and get him now. We need to establish a level of consistency; the necessary "chemistry" so to speak.
As far as Letang goes; he is a Norris Trophy type talent who, like last night, often tries to do too much. No one can answer why he tried to step up as the power play was expiring. It was a mistake, and it led to the winning goal. We need to get over it and move on. It would be silly to over react and ship him away.


Last edited by Saints11: 02-27-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Saints11 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.