HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers and Gagner working on extension: [UPD: Elected Arbitration]

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 02:41 AM
Gamefreak
Bee.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Read BadMedicine's post right above mine, if that doesn't quench your thirst for knowledge on the subject then feel free to PM BadMedicine and speak to him via PM about it.
Sounds promising! And I think 3 years/13.5M or 4 years/18M for Samwise would be reasonable.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:25 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
I don't get how people want him gone. I'm firmly in the keep him until he gets forced out camp. Right now, he's a PPG 23 year old and has been arguably our best player. Offer him 4.5 for 5 years. If his production tails off in the future, that's still an easily moveable contract

Old
02-27-2013, 03:36 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I don't get how people want him gone. I'm firmly in the keep him until he gets forced out camp. Right now, he's a PPG 23 year old and has been arguably our best player. Offer him 4.5 for 5 years. If his production tails off in the future, that's still an easily moveable contract
Curious, but would you offer ROR the same? In case we do go for an offer-sheet, would you be open to 4.75x3-4 years?

Old
02-27-2013, 04:37 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Curious, but would you offer ROR the same? In case we do go for an offer-sheet, would you be open to 4.75x3-4 years?
I'd be pretty hesitant. ROR is arguably the better overall player, but his offense isn't close to Gagner, and I'm not 100% sure he'll repeat last season. He's 1 year younger, much less proven, less of a team player, and a whopping 1 inch, and 6 lbs heavier. IMO, ROR screams Horcoff

Old
02-27-2013, 08:05 AM
Broilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Nugent-Hopkins' offensive struggles and Gagner's impressive start have put us in a bad position. I really like Gagner's guts and character but I don't think that we can afford to give him 5 million plus with RNH poised to cash in (thus far undeservedly) this summer or next.
May be we can give RNH just 2 year deal for less money. Cap will increase and we can keep both.

I do not really want find Oilers in the situation that we need to start trade away young veterans because of money issue. Atlanta and Islanders are warning examples how things can end up.

I have one exception Ryan O'Reilly. He seems to be available. He is a bit bigger and as good as Gagner.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:59 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMK View Post
These players average 4.13m/year.
Only 2 out of these 9 players have better stats than him
Based on two players having better stats than him at an average salary of 4.13m/year, he deserves 5.23m/ year.
If you were to base on offense only then maybe. But if it came down to which player you would take as a whole I don't know that gagner is ranked#3.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:32 PM
McArthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
4 x 4.25 M cant see why we would pay him Kessler money as a #2 center. So just a notch below.
It would be nice to get him on the same contract hemsky used to be on. Just hopefully less injuries.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:43 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
I would take him to arbitration and then see what he can do next season before handing out 5+ million to him
solid management. we hold his rights.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:48 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamefreak View Post
Sounds promising! And I think /3 years/13.5M or 4 years/18M for Samwise would be reasonable.
i think those are reasonable offers based on what he brings, what he lacks, and the inconsistency shown in the body of work. or he can sign for 1 year and take his chances at being able to do it again and get a bigger payoff.

i wouldnt be giving 5-6m for a good half season (horcoff anyone)

Just a little history --- Horcoff was near ppg in 06, nearing ppg in 07 when he got hurt (all star game appearance too), won draws at a 54% clip, was sniping goals and scoring on shootouts to get us points, and had solid 2 way game where he could check opposing lines. He was a beast for draws.
Sam Gagner just makes plays and plays hard, lacks 2 way game, lacks FO,

Im not saying to get Sam Gagner out of town but i am saying to remember Horc.

Old
03-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Broilers

Ryan O'Reilly

Calgary sent offer sheet to Ryan O'Reilly. Colorado matched it. It is worth 5M cap hit. That is really setting the price for Gagner. It is very difficult squeeze hinm under 5M. If Tambo manages to get him in 4,75 I will be surprised by joy.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:14 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
4(give or take .25) x 4 or 5 years would be ideal. I would like to see what he can do when he hits his prime years.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:04 PM
coolwasabi

Cap Hit: $3.6M to $4.0M imo.
Term: at least 3 years would be nice..

Some players that make near $4M:
- Joe Pavelski ($4.0M)
- Jordan Staal ($4.0M, tho admittedly with a huge term)
- Travis Zajac ($3.9M)
- TJ Oshie ($4.2M)
- David Perron ($3.8M)
- Mike Fisher ($4.2M)

If he keeps up his point-per-game pace this season, it will be interesting if he gets overpaid (i.e. near $5M per)

Old
03-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Hopefully no more than 4.5 million

Old
03-01-2013, 07:07 PM
coolwasabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
Calgary sent offer sheet to Ryan O'Reilly. Colorado matched it. It is worth 5M cap hit. That is really setting the price for Gagner.
Ryan O'Reilly and Sam Gagner are VERY different players.
And a contract extension is VERY different from an offer sheet (from a desperate team).

Remember that the Avs were holding firm on a 2 x $3.5M year deal.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:56 AM
Broilers

Gagner is still scoring

Gagner has been able to maintain his scoring even there is a small slide downwards. I read confusing article by Lowetide

http://oilersnation.com/2013/4/9/confusion

Let's reason together. What will happen to Sam. I am leaning to keep him next five years. At this point he is better than RNH IMO. He is actually our 1st line center. He might be a very good 2nd liner when we finally enter to real contention for the CUP which I EXPECT TO HAPPEN AT 2014-15

Old
04-10-2013, 07:16 AM
Hemsky4PM

No issues with a 4 year deal at 4.5 per. He would get 5 million as a UFA in a few years.

Give him a no trade that kicks in when he hits UFA age, final two years.

Compare value to production with Hemsky and Horcoff and it isn't close.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Koto

I see a lot of posts indicating what people want to give him, what they think is fair, what they think he should take, what they think fits our cap budget going forward...but the thing is they are ideal situations.

I think people need to simplify the thought process. I tend to agree with the OP

Gagner will be wanting 5x5+, and if he doesn't get it will go to arbitration and be ufa in a year.

I think there is 0 chance he takes another bridge contract, or takes a long term deal under 5M.

So this should be made into a poll question:

Would you rather...

A) Sign him to 5x5 Now

B) 1 year deal

keep in mind B) leads him into UFA where he could end up earning something more along the lines of Zajacs contract 6x8.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:42 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimeoilfan View Post
With Hall, Eberle, and one can assume Nugent-Hopkins, Yakupov, and the young Schultz all getting or expected to get substantial contracts, 5x5 is not affordable. IF that is what Gagner will be looking for, I wish him luck on getting it on whatever team he is traded to - and, for the record, I do like Gagner. "Accept it"... I will be quite disappointed/frustrated if Tambellini even offers it.

Admittedly, I am 'one of those' that don't see Gagner as the 2nd line center that this team needs. A good player no doubt, but not the player the team needs. He is kind of like the Batman at the end of the 2nd movie, "he's the [player Edmonton] deserves, but not the one it needs..." This is my opinion - and citing his points or his heart is not going to change my mind, because I agree that he is putting up the points and he has a lot of heart.
5X5 is affordable. It may not be the right value (I think its a touch high), but its affordable. The cap roll back won't affect salaries for long, it'll be heading up again starting the year after next, and we have tons of room so far next year. Its also tradeable, and pretty fair with market value (look at what Grabovski got, and I'd rank Gagner ahead of him by a fair margin). Its also tradeable in a few years when we need to move it, as we can't this summer unless we get a better center back.

Last edited by zeus3007*: 04-10-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old
04-10-2013, 10:49 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolwasabi View Post
Cap Hit: $3.6M to $4.0M imo.
Term: at least 3 years would be nice..

Some players that make near $4M:
- Joe Pavelski ($4.0M)
- Jordan Staal ($4.0M, tho admittedly with a huge term)
- Travis Zajac ($3.9M)
- TJ Oshie ($4.2M)
- David Perron ($3.8M)
- Mike Fisher ($4.2M)

If he keeps up his point-per-game pace this season, it will be interesting if he gets overpaid (i.e. near $5M per)
Most of those deals are either bridge contracts, or contracts signed a few years ago. And Zajac's extension brought him up to 5.875, you can't use his last contract as the benchmark for him. Guys like David Krejci make 5.2 million, and that's a pretty fair comparable to Gagner.

I think 5 is on the high side of things, but it won't be much lower either.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Everest

Its really hard to envision a short term improvement if we decide to move on without Gagner...but...

I think it might be worth the half-step backwards, if we opt out on a long term commitment to him and look elsewhere to find a more suitable 2nd line centre. We might not find a perfect fit right away. I realize this.

Bottom line is...I think we've seen what we look like WITH Gagner.

Do we like it?

Old
04-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Meanashell11

Yeah, I like it. I also think finding a replcement without taking a massive step backwards or paying up huge is nigh on impossible. I think Gags will sign a friendly contract, I can see 5x4.5 quite easily. He's 23, he knows he has another chance at free agency when he is completely in his prime and has a chance to play with the rest of the kids in the meantime. I think that is very attractive.

gags has never done anything to my knowledge that would make me think he is in it to max his pay, he has always been a team first player and I think he looks at that Hall contract and says he has bought in, I will too.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Beerfish

All I know is that I hope to god our front office has a real plan for our 2nd line center position. If they sign Gagner to a multi year deal then we can 100% totally put aside the notion that we need a big center in our top two lines. (Though we all know that it will rear it's head the moment Gagner has a bad game or two.)

Old
04-10-2013, 12:06 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post
Yeah, I like it. I also think finding a replcement without taking a massive step backwards or paying up huge is nigh on impossible. I think Gags will sign a friendly contract, I can see 5x4.5 quite easily. He's 23, he knows he has another chance at free agency when he is completely in his prime and has a chance to play with the rest of the kids in the meantime. I think that is very attractive.

gags has never done anything to my knowledge that would make me think he is in it to max his pay, he has always been a team first player and I think he looks at that Hall contract and says he has bought in, I will too.
He is a hockey player. They are all in it to max their pay.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:36 PM
darkwave09

vCash: 497
I want 4yr-16m
Samwise probobaly wants 6yr-33m
Tambo might give him 5yr-23m

Old
04-10-2013, 01:21 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
All I know is that I hope to god our front office has a real plan for our 2nd line center position. If they sign Gagner to a multi year deal then we can 100% totally put aside the notion that we need a big center in our top two lines. (Though we all know that it will rear it's head the moment Gagner has a bad game or two.)
Maybe all it means is they are making the safe smart move. Just because we sign Gagner to a 4 or 5 year deal doesn't mean he is on this team for the next 4 or 5 years.

Closed Thread