HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL revised realignment with 4 conferences & wild cards

Old
02-27-2013, 01:35 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyrocket View Post
Very true, but I thnk most of the negatives would be solved with the proposed "cross-over" the NHL is debating. You're still playing teams not in your conference, just less often, and a team not built to play against other conferences will fail. The cross-over also makes things fair and spices it up by allowing outsiders into a division for playoffs. If teams are built to play against their own division, they would fail miserably if a lowly cross-over seed landed in their bracket.

I think it's exciting and adds some randomness. Imagine the Rangers playing a cross-over team like San Jose in the 1st Round, or two divisional rivals in the SCF.
The excitement would really be there if it was a genuine crossover, not in the same conference. I actually think they should contemplate crossover teams with other conferences just for one round, at least.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:39 AM
Kayluvsredwings

Perfectly fine with this. It's about time Detroit goes East. Everyone in support of this already explained yhy this is a good idea.......So I'll just say I hope it can happen!

Kayluvsredwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:43 AM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
tor, ott, mtl, bos, buf, njd, nyi, nyr,

flo, tbl, was, clb, det, phi, pit, car

Better!
Nope.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:53 AM
SportsRacer21

Seems like Florida and Tampa are getting screwed travel-wise to protect the old Patrick and Adams division rivalries. It seems like the 'moving parts' are Florida, Tampa, Columbus and Detroit. Since it seems like the end game is expansion to Quebec City and Toronto why not just move Florida and Tampa to play the central time zone teams? Travel would be about the same and it would only be an hour time difference.

Division 1: Anaheim, Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, LA, San Jose, Phoenix/Seattle, Vancouver
Division 2: Chicago, Dallas, Florida, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Winnipeg
Division 3: Carolina, Columbus, New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington
Division 4: Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City, Toronto, Markham/Toronto 2

For now just keep Columbus or Detroit in the Midwest division, with the promise that when expansion to Quebec City and Markham/Toronto 2 happens they will be moved to East to keep the conferences equal.

NHL could even get creative with its scheduling and just rotate between the other three divisions who has to play Division 1 an extra game each year(3x instead of 2x). One extra west coast road trip every 3 years doesn't seem too bad, especially if every team in your division is doing it.

SportsRacer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:53 AM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoIslanders View Post
This is so maddeningly stupid and pointless. I hope the BOG or the PA blocks this idiocy.

Gary Bettman needs to tell Mike Ilitch to shove it. Detroit is fine in the Western Conference. Detroit travels less than some Pacific conference teams. They make money in terms of telecasts and attendance, and excluding the Leafs, all of their rivals are in the West. If Ilitch doesn't like it, he could sell the team.

Move Columbus to the Atlantic Division, put Pittsburgh in the Southeast. The Southeast has been a cupcake division for far too long. Pittsburgh has a rivalry with Washington -- a more intense one than that of Philly.

I can't believe people think that this is a good idea.
So very much wrong with this post.

Who are the Wings rivals in the west other than Chicago? The Blues? Oh darn gonna lose a lot of sleep over missing that.

The Wings have one team on their time zone. The Columbus freak Blue Jackets. They lose dollars every year over list revenue dye to crap start times. Is this fair for a team that for years was one of the few teams on the west that was capable of making money for the league while teams such as the islanders lose money every year? No, I didn't think so either.

Great plan regarding Illitch. Let's tell one big the richest and most dedicated owners the league has ever seen to go f himself. Perhaps we can get another Wang to take his spot.

Let's not even get into the Pens crap. Caps a bigger rival than the Flyers? I'm guessing you started watching hockey about five years ago. Am I close?

Old
02-27-2013, 01:59 AM
MoobMoob
EntertainingasanSTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
It isn't even correct. It's impossible to come up with odds for making the playoffs in this system. At best, you could say you have a 37.5% chance of guaranteeing yourself a playoff spot in the 8-team division and a 42.9% chance of guaranteeing a spot in the 7-team divisions.
and a 25% chance of being a wildcard in the 14 team conference and a 20% chance in the 16 team conference.

Which means that in the west P(playoffs)=42.9+25-10.7%=57.2 chance of making the playoffs in the west and a P(playoffs)=37.5+20-7.5%=50 chance of making the playoffs in the east.

Last edited by MoobMoob: 02-27-2013 at 02:12 AM.
MoobMoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:02 AM
MoobMoob
EntertainingasanSTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsRacer21 View Post
Seems like Florida and Tampa are getting screwed travel-wise to protect the old Patrick and Adams division rivalries. It seems like the 'moving parts' are Florida, Tampa, Columbus and Detroit. Since it seems like the end game is expansion to Quebec City and Toronto why not just move Florida and Tampa to play the central time zone teams? Travel would be about the same and it would only be an hour time difference.

Division 1: Anaheim, Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, LA, San Jose, Phoenix/Seattle, Vancouver
Division 2: Chicago, Dallas, Florida, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Winnipeg
Division 3: Carolina, Columbus, New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington
Division 4: Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City, Toronto, Markham/Toronto 2

For now just keep Columbus or Detroit in the Midwest division, with the promise that when expansion to Quebec City and Markham/Toronto 2 happens they will be moved to East to keep the conferences equal.

NHL could even get creative with its scheduling and just rotate between the other three divisions who has to play Division 1 an extra game each year(3x instead of 2x). One extra west coast road trip every 3 years doesn't seem too bad, especially if every team in your division is doing it.
I think part of the FL teams being in the division is that there are a lot of snowbirds in FL, so a lot of Tor and Mtl fans who glom on a bit to the Florida teams and would love to see their home teams more often. Sucks for the teams, but it seems to be more than just travel times.

MoobMoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:10 AM
Sundance
You Can Never Get To

I still cannot get over FLA and TB in the Northwest division. The rest looks reasonable. The playoffs need working, though.

I think they should just swap the Jets and Jackets/Red Wings and wait until further expansion/relocation happens to rearrange the conferences/divisions.

Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:13 AM
DL44

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg39 View Post
Well...Tampa and Florida are getting hosed. Let's have them geographically cross another division except for one away game (and home games obviously). Makes no sense at all.

Explain to me how Nsh or CBJ to the East and Wpg to the West doesn't make the most sense.
Well its been stated a few times now and its been answered a few times as well...so i'll just restate a bit:

- One of Det or CBJ would still be stuck playing 10 gms starting at 10:30 pm local time and ending around 1 am!. twice as much as the new schedule... So that issue would not of been addressed.
- Dallas issues haven't been addressed - they require definite attention - most of their away gms in their own DIVISION start at 9:30 pm... i.e. they aren't making money on their TV contract when their gms are ending past midnight on the regular.

So solving those major issues far outweight the cons of more travel for the 2 florida teams... especially when toss in and consider the the additional pros of them joining a division with the most prestigious teams and some of the larger traveling fanbases in the league.

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:27 AM
Penosity

I don't like it.

Why not just move Columbus to the SE and Winnipeg to the Central and be done with it?

This idea of putting 4 of the original 6 in one division stinks.
And how does this solve the problem of travel inequality? It does not.

Penosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:31 AM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penosity View Post
I don't like it.

Why not just move Columbus to the SE and Winnipeg to the Central and be done with it?

This idea of putting 4 of the original 6 in one division stinks.
And how does this solve the problem of travel inequality? It does not.
Why are the Jackets more deserving to be moved than the Wings?

Old
02-27-2013, 02:36 AM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
I think they are further East are they not?

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:37 AM
Penosity

Quote:
They're further south and east than Detroit.
It makes more sense to put them with Carolina and Washington in the SE division.

Penosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:53 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

I think this is absolutely horrendous.

I hope it doesn't get passed and they settle on the most logical solution: swap Columbus and Winnipeg

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:57 AM
Syckle78

Quote:
It makes more sense to put them with Carolina and Washington in the SE division.
Doesn't matter. Same time zone and a negligible difference in travel. The Wings have been trying to get out of the West for nearly twenty years. I think it should go to the team with the seniority and has been profitable for the league. That's just me though.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:03 AM
T-Funk

Quote:
Doesn't matter. Same time zone and a negligible difference in travel. The Wings have been trying to get out of the West for nearly twenty years. I think it should go to the team with the seniority and has been profitable for the league. That's just me though.
Terrible reasoning there.
If geography doesn't matter, I think Chicago should get in the East. Much more exciting team than Detroit anyways.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:07 AM
Chubros

Quote:
By that logic, Nashville would go the SE and Det and CBJ stay in the West.

That's all academic now, though, unless the PA decides to have another hissy-fit and block this.

The most important change, in my opinion, is that every team has a home and home once again. It's good for season's ticket holders, good for fans in general, and good for teams in fledgling markets that now get a chance to showcase the league's stars. In the current format, all it takes is for a star to be injured for one game and suddenly he only makes an appearance in your city once in 4 years.

Chubros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:50 AM
LeighDx13

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Terrible reasoning there.
If geography doesn't matter, I think Chicago should get in the East. Much more exciting team than Detroit anyways.
I think he means more that Detroit and Columbus are pretty close to both being Eastern Conference teams that it wouldn't really matter who is farther east, they both can be moved. Moving Chicago east and keeping Detroit in the west makes as much sense as having the Florida teams in the Northern division.

Personally, aside from a slight advantage in how far east Columbus is, I don't see why Columbus should move east especially ahead of Detroit. I can understand the reasoning money-wise, but that could easily be fixed with scheduling. Hell they could rearrange the teams in different divisions without needing to worry about catering to the Atlantic teams and their rivalries, not to mention actually making sense geographically. I keep putting this in these threads too, it wouldn't make everyone happy but it would make sense and for the most part be fair to many teams.

Western Conference
Pacific -Vancouver, Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Jose, Anaheim
Mid-West/Rockies - Edmonton, Calgary, Dallas, Winnipeg, Colorado
Central - Chicago, Minnesota, Columbus, Nashville, St. Louis

Eastern Conference
Northeast - Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Buffalo, Detroit
Southeast - Florida, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Washington, Pittsburgh/Philadelphia
Atlantic - New York R, New York I, New Jersey, Boston, Pittsburgh/Philadelphia
(Pittsburgh and Philadelphia could go either way)

Easy switch with Detroit and Winnipeg, just switch teams around division-wise. Afterwards just change the scheduling around abit, add four more games to the season. They could cut a few pre-season games and start the season officially on October 1st. Maybe even start Training Camp a little early.

86 Game Season
Each team plays everyone in their conference four times (two home/two away)
Each team plays everyone in the other conference twice (one home/one away)

That (like the proposed realignment) guarentee's every team in every building at least once. Guarentee's Detroit visits everyone at least once, everyone can see Crosby or Ovechkin, or the Sedins, or whoever. You would also keep the divisions and the season/playoff format the same as it is now, aside from a tweak to whoever is leading their division. Instead of being one of the top three teams, whoever leads the division would make it to the Playoffs but after all eight teams clinch, they get rearranged by points which would make more sense.

Now I know my realignment wouldn't make everyone happy but thats (selfishly) how I would love to see the NHL realigned. The only thing I don't like about the realignment that might happen now, is the East having 16 teams, and the West having 14 teams. Not to mention what happens if they expand soon, or if Phoenix relocates, then we are back at the drawing board. The only thing I really like is Detroit finally going East. Should be interesting what happens though.

LeighDx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:56 AM
Acallabeth
2 good 4 RS

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Will wild cards lose all their draft picks?

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:09 AM
Step
GO SENS GO

vCash: 2550
Why the hell is Florida not in the "Atlantic" division??

Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:47 AM
wunderpanda
sabre of damocles

I don't really mind this idea but it would be easier to just swap the Jets with the Stars, Preds or Wings. The idea of Florida teams makes good business sense, Montreal, Toronto, Boston, Ottawa all have great fanbases that would travel to away games in Florida and help ticket sales.

My only concerns revolve around a Coyotes relocation. I'm not a fan of relocation, but if it were to happen, would another shuffle happen? Also, the rumours of Quebec getting an expansion team, would they be placed in the west or central? Maybe expansion would be more than 2 teams, as Kansas City, Seattle and Toronto have been mentioned as well.

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:12 AM
Spectra
Registered boozer

This is total bs. Detroit whines and gets moved to the best division, leaves Chicago without a rival and makes the conferences uneven. I demand an Original 6 division!

The only way this would be OK, is if they go back to the original idea of four conferences and no east-west. Was really looking forward to the four conference winners facing off in semis, without geographical considerations.

Spectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:33 AM
HoseEmDown

Somebody mentioned Columbus would have to play 10 10:30 games if they remained in the west. Every east team that goes on a western roadtrip has to play late games. Why can't they work a schedule were whenever an EST team plays in PST they play an afternoon game on the weekend?
I don't see why Nashville isn't moved to the SE, Tennessee and Carolina are associated with the south. Nobody from Tennessee says they're from the Midwest (Central) they say south.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:35 AM
Pyromaniac3

Most of you are missing the point about divisional playoffs. It's about having to play the same team in the playoffs many times to create a rivalry.

Look at Van-Chi. They don't have history, nor any state rivalry. But they hate each other because they faced in playoffs like 3-4 times.

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:40 AM
gmyx

Current Standings per new format (I know it's directly applicable)

PacificPtsMid-WestPtsCentralAtlantic
APtsBPts CPts
Anaheim27Chicago35Montreal27
Vancouver24Nashville23Boston26
Phoenix21Dallas22Ottawa26
San Jose21St. Louis22Toronto24
Los Angeles20Minnesota20Detroit21
Calgary18Winnipeg19Tampa Bay19
Edmonton18Colorado17Florida16
----Buffalo15

The matchups (if I understood the wildcard correct):
Pacific:
1. Anaheim vs 4. Phoenix
2. Vancouver vs 3. San Jose

Mid-West:
1. Chicago vs 4. Dallas
2. Nashville vs 3. St.Louis

Central:
1. Montreal vs 4. Detroit
2. Boston vs 3. Ottawa

Atlantic:
1. Pittsburgh vs 4. Toronto*
2. New Jersey vs 3. Carolina

Notes: Toronto crosses over has having more points than #4 Philadelphia
Detroit faces Montreal since Detroit has the least points and Montreal the most.

In: Phoenix
Out: Tampa Bay

Last edited by gmyx: 02-27-2013 at 07:13 AM. Reason: typo
gmyx is offline   Reply With Quote