HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

the NEW YORK ISLANDERS!

Old
02-27-2013, 04:06 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
the NEW YORK ISLANDERS!

What can you tell me about this team? When will they be a "serious" contender? What more will it take for them to regain a Stanley Cup Championship?

Watching a replay vs Boston from yesterday on NBCSN. Over the past years there has been such little spotlight on the Isles on NBC and CBC as well, many fans like myself know almost nothing about the team (I don't have gamecenter etc.).

Great game though vs. Boston, very entertaining. If it wasn't for Rask in the 1st period it could have been out of hand. The Islanders remind me of the Oilers and Leafs, feels like younger players with a ton of spunk. They are so close. Their PP was exciting and precise. Their passes to each other are like shots, very strong players and nearly as strong as the 2011 Champion Boston Bruins, who are always amazing to watch.

My impressions- Vishnovsky is sick! Never knew how much he stood out. Grabner also, wow. Islanders only need to take themselves serious. Thy need to care about winning as much as looking good. Being all stars with phenomenal skill they can dig deeper. Hockey is fun but at this level they should go mad and dominate. From the little I've seen it seems possible for them.

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:09 AM
Kamal007
A$VP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
What can you tell me about this team?
They have a horrible owner

Quote:
When will they be a "serious" contender?
When they get a competent owner who commits to winning

Quote:
What more will it take for them to regain a Stanley Cup Championship?
Ownership change

Kamal007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:14 AM
MapleLeafs9
LOL vv

vCash: 142
IMO They're poorly coached. They have a lot of talent on that team and to see them not do well year after year is just, ugh.

MapleLeafs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:17 AM
Count Von Grabo*

They actually did play great vs Boston. Some nice pieces, but like said previously ITT, the ownership is awful.

Count Von Grabo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:18 AM
stlblues9

vCash: 3530
IMO I just don't see a player like Tavares being a consistent loser. He comes off as a winner to me, I don't know why - maybe it was the Canada vs USA game, so I think he will help turn this team around.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:43 AM
TheRightWay

Quote:
Sorry to disappoint but it is not. It was cool to get a RARE 2nd Islander game on NBC. Obviously they are low in the standings, but every team in the NHL is "close" IMO. If it's not the right place for this topic don't worry, it will fade into oblivion....
Well then I guess it's very true that you haven't seen them a lot, because very little indicates that they are anywhere close to being a contender. Their owner basically cuckolds the franchise in every way possible. The GM got promoted from backup goaltender and has done pretty much nothing that indicates he has any clue what he is doing. Jack Capuano is a lame duck behind the bench. The team doesn't even have an Assistant General Manager. Sometimes Tavares and Hamonic are the only two who even bother to show up. They've done an underwhelming job of developing their younger players (Bailey, Okposo, etc.) and they screwed around with Nino Niederreiter enough that his agent publicly acknowledged his desire for a trade. They have some very interesting young pieces for sure but as a whole it's going to take a dramatic shift in philosophy and method of doing things from top to bottom if they ever plan on contending again.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:40 AM
WonderTwinsUnite

They suck. JT, De Haan, Hamonic, Moulson, Streit are the exception.

WonderTwinsUnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:52 AM
Brunomics

It's all on Charles Wang. That piece of **** has lap dog Snow build teams on the cheap and always tries to circumvent the cap floor. Hell even look at their management structure... its bare bones. Show me another organization that does that.

If he had a decent gm and spent a little bit of money to bring in the right vets to fill holes this team would be light years better. Right now it's kids, waiver wire carp, and Nabby.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:57 AM
Canada4Gold

I like Tavares and Nino. They have some good players but they'll never be able to get all the pieces needed with current ownership

Canada4Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:04 AM
Stephen23

That's the thing. Just as an example, everyone assumes the Oilers will automatically be a contender, when the Islanders have had top 5 picks the last few years and have not really progressed to the level they had hoped. Granted they are in a much more difficult division. It just shows that you need time, coaching and development in order to make that next step.

Stephen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:14 AM
EvilDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal007 View Post
They have a horrible owner

When they get a competent owner who commits to winning

Ownership change

I think we all can say the same thing about the Toronto Maple Leafs.

EvilDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:25 AM
Moosie

Is there an issue with ownership among Leaf fans? It seems Toronto spends to the cap every year, so isn't the problem really the management of the team on the ice? The Islanders' owner Wang uses buyout hits to reach the cap FLOOR every year. I had hoped the new CBA would stop that abuse, but I guess not. I feel for Leafs fans, though. It's inexplicable how they haven't won the cup in over 40 years.

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:29 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
Is there an issue with ownership among Leaf fans? It seems Toronto spends to the cap every year, so isn't the problem really the management of the team on the ice? The Islanders' owner Wang uses buyout hits to reach the cap FLOOR every year. I had hoped the new CBA would stop that abuse, but I guess not. I feel for Leafs fans, though. It's inexplicable how they haven't won the cup in over 40 years.
Someone's mad over nothing

Ask around. The vast majority of fans (including Islanders') think they have a terrible ownership group in Long Island. Stop acting like a ******** child, please.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:44 AM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Someone's mad over nothing

Ask around. The vast majority of fans (including Islanders') think they have a terrible ownership group in Long Island. Stop acting like a ******** child, please.
I don't think Moosie was being disrepectful to the Leafs, more like envious of a team that spends money. Name me one team that hasn't spent to the cap floor in the last 5 years besides the Islanders? All the BS with fake bonuses and pay out hits that raise the cap hit and does nothing to improve the product on the ice. We as fans just want Wang to stop with all the penny pinching and actually ice and NHL team.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:48 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMputt View Post
I don't think Moosie was being disrepectful to the Leafs, more like envious of a team that spends money. Name me one team that hasn't spent to the cap floor in the last 5 years besides the Islanders? All the BS with fake bonuses and pay out hits that raise the cap hit and does nothing to improve the product on the ice. We as fans just want Wang to stop with all the penny pinching and actually ice and NHL team.
Exactly. I don't fault Snow for anything..he's doing the best he can with a cheap owner.

The moment NYI get an actual owner who loves the game, we'll see them playing a lot better..

Wang is very cheap...even the coach he's hired is not that good but he's probably makes less than all the other coaches.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:49 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
So I take it you haven't heard about Harold Ballard?

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:58 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Coach and coach

Look at the players Ted Nolan had:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006%E2...n#Player_stats

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007%E2...n#Player_stats

He got to the playoffs in those two years.

Coach and coach.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:07 AM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

They could be a really good team, they just need a new owner. Tavares is looking like a really good hockey player right now.

02-27-2013, 08:27 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

This team could be very strong in a few years. I think they are a true #1 goalie away from being a contender (hint...Bishop...<_<)

They probably need a coaching change with a good system to get the most of their players but it's hard to say.

Curtinho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:45 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
What can you tell me about this team? When will they be a "serious" contender? What more will it take for them to regain a Stanley Cup Championship?

Watching a replay vs Boston from yesterday on NBCSN. Over the past years there has been such little spotlight on the Isles on NBC and CBC as well, many fans like myself know almost nothing about the team (I don't have gamecenter etc.).

Great game though vs. Boston, very entertaining. If it wasn't for Rask in the 1st period it could have been out of hand. The Islanders remind me of the Oilers and Leafs, feels like younger players with a ton of spunk. They are so close. Their PP was exciting and precise. Their passes to each other are like shots, very strong players and nearly as strong as the 2011 Champion Boston Bruins, who are always amazing to watch.

My impressions- Vishnovsky is sick! Never knew how much he stood out. Grabner also, wow. Islanders only need to take themselves serious. Thy need to care about winning as much as looking good. Being all stars with phenomenal skill they can dig deeper. Hockey is fun but at this level they should go mad and dominate. From the little I've seen it seems possible for them.
I watched that game and I barely noticed Vishnovsky. What I also noticed is the Boston took a lead and then let the Islanders run around while the Bruins for the most part made sure that Rask could see every shot and therefore stop every shot. It appeared to me that if the Islanders had scored another goal that Boston would have taken over again.

In my opinion the Islanders still need some help, I think they still need to upgrade some personnel, they do have half of a very good team, but there is a lot more to it than taking themselves seriously.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:55 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

It's a team that needs to learn how to win. Tavares has that mentality already, you can see it in the way he carries himself, but they seem to have quite a few players who don't really carry their weight for all 60 minutes of the game. They have drafted so much talent over the years, but you can really see the difference that a front office can make in terms of converting talent to results.

IMO nothing will really change till the team moves to Brooklyn, the front office is purged and Wang stays an arm's length away from anything to do with hockey ops. They are in a similar situation to Columbus in terms of needing to take what useful assets they have and build a completely new identity from the ground up.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:57 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Always had a soft spot for the Isles, kind of that "loveable loser" team that you can't help but feel for, year after year.

It's good to see that blue skies may be coming soon.

02-27-2013, 09:11 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 50
Need to wait a little bit for the 'fruits of the rebuild' to come in and replace guys like Aucoin and Reasoner.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:14 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

New ownership and a proper rebuild (not plucking 5 or 6 players from the waiver wire in one off season) is what this team needs.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:14 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

This has been a weird year for the Islanders. At time we truly look like a playoff team, and others it looks like the same old islanders.

We need a new coach more than anything, and consistent play from the young guys.

There will be a lot of change next season I'm thinking. Nelson, Nino and Strome are all going to be pushing for Okposo, Nielsen and Bailey's spots on the roster.

I say in 2 years time we'll be a playoff team (provided we have a solid goaltending option).

Moulson - JT - Nino
Grabner - Nelson - Strome
Okposo - Nielsen - Bailey
Martin - Cizikas - Ullstrom

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote