HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why do our backups consistently have better records?

Old
02-26-2013, 11:08 PM
Erick

vCash: 500
Why do our backups consistently have better records?

2007-08
Starter: Tomas Vokoun -- 30-29-8
Backup: Craig Anderson -- 8-6-1

2008-09
Starter: Tomas Vokoun -- 26-23-6
Backup: Craig Anderson -- 15-7-5

2009-10
Starter: Tomas Vokoun -- 23-28-11
Backup: Scott Clemmensen -- 9-8-2

2010-11
Starter: Tomas Vokoun -- 22-28-5
Backup: Scott Clemmensen -- 8-11-7

2011-12
Starter: Jose Theodore -- 22-16-11
Backup: Scott Clemmensen -- 14-6-6

2012-13
Starter: Jose Theodore -- 4-6-2
Backup: Scott Clemmensen -- 2-1-2

I understand that goalies shouldn't really just be evaluated based on their records, but that's not really the point of the thread, anyway.

This is now going on six consecutive years of data with the same trend. I'd imagine that this isn't really the case with any other team. It seems like this might happen for a team one year, maybe two years...but six consecutive years?

Do we overrate our starting goaltenders?
Does the team play differently/better in front of the backups? If so, why don't they play that way consistently, regardless of the goaltender?

The last time we had a starter put up a much better record than the backup was when Ed Belfour was here. That, in large part, due to how much Alex Auld sucked.

Since 07-08, this team has put up a solid record of 56-39-23 with the backups in net; with the starters in net, the record is 127-130-43.
You'd think that wouldn't be the case after six (5+ if you want to say this year's sample is still too small) years of data, right?

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:16 AM
p9ers

Anderson proved himself to be better than Vokoun.

Clemmenson has always been underrated imo, in 08-09 when he played 40 games due to Brodeur injury, he had (marginally) better stats than him. It just happens that we have really good backup goalie and "more proven" goalie that are starters.

p9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:15 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Gotta ride the hot hand.

Play Clemmer until he's had a string of a couple of bad games. It's only fair to give him the same shot we did Theo. Team is winning in front of him too.

In regards to Theo though, something very interesting. I actually think I saw you over on that thread too Erick....

There was a thread on the main NHL board here that isolated goalie stats to "save percentage on shots 15 feet out or closer". Theo was ranked #1 in the league with a .921 save % on those shots, however his overall save% for the season is sitting at a lowly .888 after last night. Before last night's game the thought crossed my mind that maybe Theo struggles with shots from far out. After his performance yesterday and seeing the goals he did give up, I think I may be onto something....

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:24 AM
The Cat Captain

One thing I remember from the Anderson days was that it seemed the entire team fought a lot harder to ensure he had a clear view of all the incoming shots whenever he played. They all relied on Vokoun being able to take most pucks, but when Andy got time they all appeared to play more focused backchecking and defence.
/C

The Cat Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:20 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

The whole idea behind bringing a backup in is to change the momentum. Last night after Theo's horrific performance there were multiple blocked shots and a much better defensive job, knowing they had to pick it up.
Clemmer was very solid. But it's all a joke as the clearly the best goalie went to the airport Monday night.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:51 AM
jakethesnake23

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat Captain View Post
One thing I remember from the Anderson days was that it seemed the entire team fought a lot harder to ensure he had a clear view of all the incoming shots whenever he played. They all relied on Vokoun being able to take most pucks, but when Andy got time they all appeared to play more focused backchecking and defence.
/C
There is something to that. The team focuses on defense more. Same thing when goalies are called up or are rookies.

jakethesnake23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:13 AM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

I think the day of the starter and backup is dying in the nhl. Many of the best teams have two starters in order to be successful and the panthers should be no exception. Ride the hot hand.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:21 AM
Montsy14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanHuberdoh View Post
Gotta ride the hot hand.

Play Clemmer until he's had a string of a couple of bad games. It's only fair to give him the same shot we did Theo. Team is winning in front of him too.

In regards to Theo though, something very interesting. I actually think I saw you over on that thread too Erick....

There was a thread on the main NHL board here that isolated goalie stats to "save percentage on shots 15 feet out or closer". Theo was ranked #1 in the league with a .921 save % on those shots, however his overall save% for the season is sitting at a lowly .888 after last night. Before last night's game the thought crossed my mind that maybe Theo struggles with shots from far out. After his performance yesterday and seeing the goals he did give up, I think I may be onto something....

I think you are onto something. If you really think about it, Theo's positioning is always pretty darn good which might explain why he's good in tight (he's also significantly better than Clemm in the shootout), but when it comes to tracking pucks from far out, he seems to struggle.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:22 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
I think the day of the starter and backup is dying in the nhl. Many of the best teams have two starters in order to be successful and the panthers should be no exception. Ride the hot hand.
Like who? Consistently good teams have consistently good starters.

02-27-2013, 08:31 AM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Like who? Consistently good teams have consistently good starters.
First that come to mind- Luongo/Schneider and Emery/Crawford.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:37 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
I think you are onto something. If you really think about it, Theo's positioning is always pretty darn good which might explain why he's good in tight (he's also significantly better than Clemm in the shootout), but when it comes to tracking pucks from far out, he seems to struggle.
I don't think the issue is tracking pucks; he doesn't challenge the shooter enough when they're 30 feet out. He don't leave the paint far out enough. His asset is agility, but because of his diminutive size, he needs to be 3 feet out of the paint to cover the net form 30 feet. And stay big longer.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:39 AM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
I don't think the issue is tracking pucks; he doesn't challenge the shooter enough when they're 30 feet out. He don't leave the paint far out enough. His asset is agility, but because of his diminutive size, he needs to be 3 feet out of the paint to cover the net form 30 feet. And stay big longer.
I can tell how clemmer can be on any given night depending how much he is moving. When he is bad it seems like he is jumping around all over the place and making saves in awkward positions.

When he is on his game he stands tall in net and doesnt jump around nearly as much.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
First that come to mind- Luongo/Schneider and Emery/Crawford.
But Louie's been on the trade block forever and Chicago's getting lucky so far this season.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:49 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
True. And our D does a terrible job clearing the front of the net.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:57 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanHuberdoh View Post
Gotta ride the hot hand.

And you would be right. Theodore used to give Hab fans heart attacks with shots from the point.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:11 AM
Erick

Quote:
The whole idea behind bringing a backup in is to change the momentum. Last night after Theo's horrific performance there were multiple blocked shots and a much better defensive job, knowing they had to pick it up.
Clemmer was very solid. But it's all a joke as the clearly the best goalie went to the airport Monday night.
Do you think the team is better in front of Clemmensen?

If you do think that, isn't it rather frustrating that they don't play the same way for both goaltenders?

I'm not sure if they're consistently better in front of backups than starters. However, if that's the case, they should start playing the same way for the starter.

It also seems like the team scores more goals with Clemmensen in net, for whatever reason.

I don't get it. I doubt any other team in the NHL has a much better W-L record when the backup plays like the Panthers have done the past six years.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:13 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Do you think the team is better in front of Clemmensen?

If you do think that, isn't it rather frustrating that they don't play the same way for both goaltenders?

I'm not sure if they're consistently better in front of backups than starters. However, if that's the case, they should start playing the same way for the starter.

It also seems like the team scores more goals with Clemmensen in net, for whatever reason.

I don't get it. I doubt any other team in the NHL has a much better W-L record when the backup plays like the Panthers have done the past six years.
In general its a known hockey proposition that when the backup comes in the D tightens up..not an issue particular to the panthers.

I just noticed more block shots in the 3rd than ive seen in a long time. That aside, clemmer made 15 of his own. good on him.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:18 AM
Erick

Quote:
In general its a known hockey proposition that when the backup comes in the D tightens up..not an issue particular to the panthers.

I just noticed more block shots in the 3rd than ive seen in a long time. That aside, clemmer made 15 of his own. good on him.
That seems like perception, though.

On most teams, the starter has a better record than the backup. It's just odd that we perform like a playoff team with backups in net, yet we're mediocre at best when we put our starters in. And it's dating back to six years now, which isn't a small sample. It seems like it's only something that has happened to this franchise.

As Laus said, most successful teams right now have a starter and a successful record with that starter in net.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:36 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

At least in our history, we've been known to play a start a lot more starts than the backup, giving the starter more opportunity to have a losing record. Typically, I've noticed that the backup will start a game after the starter had a cold streak and being fresh off the bench go on a hot streak. Usually, we'll ride that backup until he loses.

I'm probably just pulling that out of my ass, but it's the first thing I thought of.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote