HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Supernatural season 8

Old
02-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
The last 2 episodes of Supernatural have been the best episodes this season. "As Time Goes By" were fantastic, it felt like they went back to the roots, which was a nice change of events. "Everybody Hates Hitler" had an intresting plot and some really fun moments, the batcave is also awesome. This is a storyline they could develop further. However...

... looking at the episodedescriptions of the following episodes, i am quite dissopointed. The next episode will be a part of the main story, and the two after that episode will be fillers. One looked really intresting tho. Seems like they are not going back to this story.

This really show Supernaturals greatest weakness, consistency. You can make a show with more than one main storyline, just look at Buffy. You could argue that the later seasons of Buffy had no fillers...
Supernatural have not learned that and it's "filler, main story, filler, main story" structure feels so meh. You can easily fit in 3 stories in a season. One main and two sub plots.

Remeber the alpha vampire? He said, "See you next season". Well? Where is he? Why not make a sub plot with him that lasts 5-7 episodes? I'm sorry for this complaining but the writers of this show have made some terrible decisions in the story.

That said, i really loved the 2 previous episodes.

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:12 AM
FromTheSide

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Dare i say, A quality episode last night?

There may be hope yet.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:10 AM
Pilgore88

Renewed for a 9th season 3 days ago, so there will be more than just closing the gates of hell.

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Everlasting

Probobly something like, if they close the gates of the hell, they open something else. Like there is a rule that it must be some form of ballance. "Without evil, there is no good." Unless the tablets get destroyed and they never learn how.

I miss Death. He is one of this shows greatest characters.

Old
02-14-2013, 03:56 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

They need more Alien episodes.

RobBrown4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:53 AM
FromTheSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
Renewed for a 9th season 3 days ago, so there will be more than just closing the gates of hell.
Well theres the angel tablet thing too.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:15 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
Well theres the angel tablet thing too.
"Imagine that, we closed the gates of Hell AND Heaven. Now what?"

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:12 AM
Everlasting

That was actully a good episode, but i am really annoyed that Sam is lying. After all this time.. he cannot even tell the truth about something like that?

Old
02-23-2013, 05:06 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
according to some on the Vancouver TV scene it sounds like the producers may do "sneeky back door pilots" to test out some possible replacement shows after year 9. According to the geeks and nerd brigade there has been two this season --the last episode was sort of an obvious one--but I am not sure of the first one

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:00 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
according to some on the Vancouver TV scene it sounds like the producers may do "sneeky back door pilots" to test out some possible replacement shows after year 9. According to the geeks and nerd brigade there has been two this season --the last episode was sort of an obvious one--but I am not sure of the first one
Remind me, which were they?

Am I missing the back door pilot parts? I've been a fan of this show since it started, I don't miss much in the episodes but with a busy life, you sometimes look things over.

Help a fellow Supernatural fan out?

Honour Over Glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:55 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
The one with the cursed family ? That would be a pilot for what exactly ? I don't get it.

People also say the one with the werewolf found footage was another one.

EDIT:

Before reading that post I had never heard about backdoor pilots.

Last edited by E = CH²: 02-23-2013 at 11:10 AM.
E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:45 PM
Everlasting

Same here, i am very intrested in this. Supernatural is great universe, and a spin off could be awesome. Like Angel.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:47 PM
Pilgore88

I assume the Witch Detective would be one of the spin-offs?

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:27 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Remind me, which were they?

Am I missing the back door pilot parts? I've been a fan of this show since it started, I don't miss much in the episodes but with a busy life, you sometimes look things over.

Help a fellow Supernatural fan out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
The one with the cursed family ? That would be a pilot for what exactly ? I don't get it.

People also say the one with the werewolf found footage was another one.

EDIT:

Before reading that post I had never heard about backdoor pilots.
The detective turned Witch and his loyal pooch was the latest one and the Men of letters one earlier.

For those who do not know what they are, they are an industry trick when doing a spin off of a successful show, such as CSI or NCIS, where there were announced as back door pilots. For all intense purposes, a back door pilot is putting a new cast in an existing show and give them more airtime then the regular cast.

CW sometimes does this, they will green light a slightly "different episode" to allow producers to build a new idea from an old one. With supernatural going into year 9, obviously they need to create some new things and try some things and they are obviously getting creative.

Last edited by jumptheshark: 02-23-2013 at 05:35 PM.
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:34 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
The detective turned Witch and his loyal pooch was the latest one and the Men of letters one earlier.

For those who do not know what they are, they are an industry trick when doing a spin off of a successful show, such as CSI or NCIS, where there were announced as back door pilots. For all intense purposes, a back door pilot is putting a new cast in an existing show and give them more airtime then the regular cast.

CW sometimes does this, they will green light a slightly "different episode" to allow producers to build a new idea from an old one. With supernatural going into year 9, obviously they need to create some new things and try some things and they are obviously getting creative.
picky grammar nerd alert! It's "for all intents and purposes"

now back on topic:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...DisguisedPilot

Not every backdoor pilot meets TV Tropes' requirements for the "poorly disguised pilot" trope, but most pdp's are attempts (and often failures) at using a backdoor pilot to launch another show. So that's a pretty good list of various backdoor pilots across a variety of media (tv, movies, comics, video games, etc)

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:54 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:

I'm not sure I like the idea of that witch detective + she-dog thing, something about that episode was weird enough, the fact that he does the nasty with a girl that morphs into a dog. That has "bordering on beastiality" written all over it, it would get cancelled very quickly.

The best way to do that back door pilot thing is to add in a new character, keep him on for a few episodes, see the reaction, then shelve it for a bit to develop it and flesh it out for a proper pilot then do a cross over at some point. But they have the rest of this season and then a 9th left.

This is one of those shows where if it went on for another 5yrs, I would never stop watching.

Honour Over Glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:03 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
I'm not sure I like the idea of that witch detective + she-dog thing, something about that episode was weird enough, the fact that he does the nasty with a girl that morphs into a dog. That has "bordering on beastiality" written all over it, it would get cancelled very quickly.

The best way to do that back door pilot thing is to add in a new character, keep him on for a few episodes, see the reaction, then shelve it for a bit to develop it and flesh it out for a proper pilot then do a cross over at some point. But they have the rest of this season and then a 9th left.

This is one of those shows where if it went on for another 5yrs, I would never stop watching.
Well Manimal lasted one season...

Old
02-27-2013, 04:03 AM
Everlasting

I could see James Masters being that guy, he was also a witch, a powerful one too. Even if he is not a part of the spin off, he should come back to the show and be more of a regular

Old
03-01-2013, 10:22 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Fillerish episode but it opened up the possible plotline from a few seasons ago when they came upon a meeting of the gods from different religions. Wasn't Zeus present there then?

Old
03-02-2013, 02:06 AM
Everlasting

I dont remember, but i do not like how gods are portrayed in this show. We have seen demons who are more powerfull, not to mention those pagans god (Paris Hilton...)

Old
03-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Leadfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
I dont remember, but i do not like how gods are portrayed in this show. We have seen demons who are more powerfull, not to mention those pagans god (Paris Hilton...)
On the other hand, I think the idea is that it's because the old gods are weaker, they have been replaced by more current mainstream religious figures... demons and angels for instance.

Leadfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 01:34 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
On the other hand, I think the idea is that it's because the old gods are weaker, they have been replaced by more current mainstream religious figures... demons and angels for instance.
It think they even said that on that episode.

Old
03-02-2013, 03:01 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
I could see James Masters being that guy, he was also a witch, a powerful one too. Even if he is not a part of the spin off, he should come back to the show and be more of a regular
As a vampire.

In a duster.

Last episode was okay, could have done more with Zeus.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:29 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Cas, Meg, Naomi and Crowley!

Great episode, moved the main plot while developing characters. I'd actually say this was one of the best episodes in a long while. Shame about Meg, would have been fun too see her and Cas hooking up. Some great lines as well in this episode.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:50 PM
FromTheSide

Aren't there only a few episodes left this season and they still have 2 trials to go? I hope they don't try to cram it all into one episode.

My guess is that the angel tablet somehow affects humans rather than killing angels