HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs to reach Cap Heaven?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-27-2013, 04:54 AM
  #1
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,155
vCash: 500
Habs to reach Cap Heaven?

The Habs are projected to have 12,68 M$ in Cap space for season start. If we buy out Kaberle, this increases by 4,25 to 16,93M$. The players that we release will be:

Michael Ryder (UFA, 3,5M$)
Colby Armstrong (UFA, 1M$)
Desharnais (RFA, 875K$)
Ryan White (RFA, 687K$)
Petteri Nokelainen (UFA, 575K$)

Francis Bouillon (UFA, 1,5M$)
Yannick Weber (RFA, 850K$)
Tomas Kaberle (UFA, 4,25M$)

Peter Budaj (UFA, 1,15M$)

As you can see, beside Ryder and Desharnais, everbody released is basic support personnel. Ryder himself is kind of a question mark; nobody know what is management's plan for Desharnais, but let's assume he gets an increase to 3.5M$.

Let's set aside a generous 5M$ for additional support personel (resigning or new base UFA or ELC for Tinordi/Beaulieu/Leblanc if they make it).

This still leaves us with a very, very nice 8.4M$ left in cap space to get us UFAs. That's Richards money.


Do you think we should try to get more solid "good/great" players or break the bank with a very sought-after player like Perry?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:03 AM
  #2
OneHandsomeSheep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 20
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
The Habs are projected to have 12,68 M$ in Cap space for season start. If we buy out Kaberle, this increases by 4,25 to 16,93M$. The players that we release will be:

Michael Ryder (UFA, 3,5M$)
Colby Armstrong (UFA, 1M$)
Desharnais (RFA, 875K$)
Ryan White (RFA, 687K$)
Petteri Nokelainen (UFA, 575K$)

Francis Bouillon (UFA, 1,5M$)
Yannick Weber (RFA, 850K$)
Tomas Kaberle (UFA, 4,25M$)

Peter Budaj (UFA, 1,15M$)

As you can see, beside Ryder and Desharnais, everbody released is basic support personnel. Ryder himself is kind of a question mark; nobody know what is management's plan for Desharnais, but let's assume he gets an increase to 3.5M$.

Let's set aside a generous 5M$ for additional support personel (resigning or new base UFA or ELC for Tinordi/Beaulieu/Leblanc if they make it).

This still leaves us with a very, very nice 8.4M$ left in cap space to get us UFAs. That's Richards money.


Do you think we should try to get more solid "good/great" players or break the bank with a very sought-after player like Perry?
Way too exhausted to counter this with any evidence, but do you really think DD would command 3.5mil? I have a hard time believing Bergevin would shell out that kind of money for the guy.

OneHandsomeSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:13 AM
  #3
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,621
vCash: 500
If DD wants more than 2.0 he can walk.

For the 4th line, I want Lapierre and Bordeleau.

For the 1st line, aim for Perry, Semin, or Vanek. If we fail, move on, keep the space, and try again in 2014.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:16 AM
  #4
StellerEller
Saku :D
 
StellerEller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hamilton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,760
vCash: 351
I'd give DD 2.5 at most. And that's after a good season. He's doesn't provide defense and is expendable given our Depth of Playmaking Centres. That being said, he is an asset, and could be packaged or re-signed and still contribute positively.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:21 AM
  #5
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,155
vCash: 500
Please do not focus on my 3,5 for DD. That was very conservative (regarding remaining cap space) in the event he proves great in a successful cup run.

How much should we expect to shell out for Perry?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:27 AM
  #6
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Please do not focus on my 3,5 for DD. That was very conservative (regarding remaining cap space) in the event he proves great in a successful cup run.

How much should we expect to shell out for Perry?
8 or 9.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:28 AM
  #7
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Please do not focus on my 3,5 for DD. That was very conservative (regarding remaining cap space) in the event he proves great in a successful cup run.

How much should we expect to shell out for Perry?
The amount will have been too high for Anaheim to consider signing him. 8M would be the ball park.

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:29 AM
  #8
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again
 
chaosrevolver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,337
vCash: 500
Just curious what people think, but is it wise to be shelling out a ton of money when we have to sign Subban the next season along with a few others?

Anyway, I'd love to have Perry.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:35 AM
  #9
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio
 
subbanged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 500
It's interesting for sure, Imagine if Bergevin convinces Perry of his long term plans, he'll play with an improving center in Galchenyuk, another power forward winger in Patches, Gallagher on another wing. Gionta's a UFA after next season he walks we use the money on Eller/ Gally/ Chuckie, Were good to go.

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:39 AM
  #10
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio
 
subbanged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 500
We'll be fine cap wise actually, Markov in a years time (IF we keep him around) will not command the 5.75 he''s getting now, your looking at 3.75, maybe 4, so that's another 6.75 -7 that you can use on to resign players, assuming we replace gionta with perry

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:50 AM
  #11
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Just curious what people think, but is it wise to be shelling out a ton of money when we have to sign Subban the next season along with a few others?

Anyway, I'd love to have Perry.
Like others said, we'll have Gionta off the books, as well as Markov to resign for lower money, potentially. That will give us the flexibility to give Subban what he's worth.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:51 AM
  #12
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
It's interesting for sure, Imagine if Bergevin convinces Perry of his long term plans, he'll play with an improving center in Galchenyuk, another power forward winger in Patches, Gallagher on another wing. Gionta's a UFA after next season he walks we use the money on Eller/ Gally/ Chuckie, Were good to go.
Bergevin will convince Perry..? I'd put my money on Therrien to pull another Prust.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:12 AM
  #13
Agalloch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Lachute, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,829
vCash: 500
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Corey Perry ($7.500m)
Lars Eller ($1.325m) / David Desharnais ($3.000m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Ryan White ($0.850m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)
Louis Leblanc ($1.170m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($2.000m)
P.K. Subban ($2.875m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.225m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / Jarred Tinordi ($1.083m)
Morgan Ellis ($0.900m) / Francis Bouillon ($1.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Dustin Tokarski ($0.650m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,020,833; BONUSES: $3,257,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $279,167


I'm not really sure what place Desharnais will have in the lineup long term.


Last edited by Agalloch: 02-27-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:29 AM
  #14
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 14,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
If DD wants more than 2.0 he can walk.

For the 4th line, I want Lapierre and Bordeleau.

For the 1st line, aim for Perry, Semin, or Vanek. If we fail, move on, keep the space, and try again in 2014.
Hell no to Lapierre! White and Dumont have way bigger balls than that punk. Perry is THE UFA next summer, but like I wrote in another thread, Habs could look for players that come free agent in 2014, like Pominville.

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:05 AM
  #15
Lshap
Moderator
 
Lshap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,490
vCash: 500
With the salary cap going down next season, this projected $8M for Perry might be more than anyone offers. Very few teams will have cap room to enter the bidding war for him, and that includes the usual suspects - the NYR and Flyers.

It looks like this could be the perfect storm for the Habs in landing a real UFA star: Cap space, plus a hot upcoming team.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:31 AM
  #16
Halifaxhab*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
With the salary cap going down next season, this projected $8M for Perry might be more than anyone offers. Very few teams will have cap room to enter the bidding war for him, and that includes the usual suspects - the NYR and Flyers.

It looks like this could be the perfect storm for the Habs in landing a real UFA star: Cap space, plus a hot upcoming team.
Landing a big star UFA may not be MB's big plan, but he isw defenately making it possible to make any move he wants to basically.

I can also see a summer deal send Gionta out to NJ. I am not sure I would want to, but it seems to me that Bergevin is making space for the young talent we have.

Add in 6 picks in the top 90 now and his devellopment plan seems to be paying off.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:32 AM
  #17
HTTP 400
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 921
vCash: 3601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
With the salary cap going down next season, this projected $8M for Perry might be more than anyone offers. Very few teams will have cap room to enter the bidding war for him, and that includes the usual suspects - the NYR and Flyers.

It looks like this could be the perfect storm for the Habs in landing a real UFA star: Cap space, plus a hot upcoming team.
One of them is Toronto. I doubt Perry chose Montreal over Toronto.

Anyway, I'd aim at assembling 3 good scoring lines and that's pretty much impossible with a 8M forward under a 64M cap.

HTTP 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:37 AM
  #18
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,335
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWalkThroughWalls View Post
One of them is Toronto. I doubt Perry chose Montreal over Toronto.

Anyway, I'd aim at assembling 3 good scoring lines and that's pretty much impossible with a 8M forward under a 64M cap.
Perry grew up a Habs fan so it might help us

Also I see the Leafs going after Getzlaf a lot more then going after Perry

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:41 AM
  #19
HTTP 400
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 921
vCash: 3601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Perry grew up a Habs fan so it might help us

Also I see the Leafs going after Getzlaf a lot more then going after Perry
Oh, didn't know that. Well, obviously, if you can add a player like Perry, you do it!

HTTP 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:43 AM
  #20
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Perry grew up a Habs fan so it might help us

Also I see the Leafs going after Getzlaf a lot more then going after Perry
How about Anaheim?

People have to stop assuming these guys will become free agents.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:45 AM
  #21
Kjell Dahlin
Registered User
 
Kjell Dahlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Québec, Québec
Posts: 1,998
vCash: 500
Bergevin gave himself precious cap flexibility when he shipped away Cole (Gainey ) and convinced Molson to buy out Gomez. Buying/shipping out Kaberle remains an option and, as mentioned by previous posters, letting Gionta walk in July 2015 will liberate another 5M$... just in time for Subban!

RFA Desharnais *1 and White will be back, UFA Bouillon would be a great #7D at a very fair price and Dumont (4th line) and Tinordi (3rd pairing) will be serious candidates for a NHL spot. We are potentially looking at a very advantageous ratio of “contribution : cap hit” here.

Our Canadiens will be well positioned, especially if they make some noise in the upcoming playoffs, to aggressively go after Perry... if he decides to test the market. That said, I would be a happy fan even if the only moves are Tinordi on the 3rd pairing, Bouillon as the #7D and a (Dumont or Lapierre) swap with Armstrong on 4th.

Long story short: our Canadiens are well positioned indeed.


*1 Desharnais, as a productive secondary scoring centre with a cap friendly contract (4 years; 10-12M$) , would be a very valuable asset. The capacity to rely on 3 well balanced scoring lines + a sound 4th line is an advantage. As a RFA, he is not in a position of force: I expect a cap friendly contract.


Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 02-27-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:47 AM
  #22
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,335
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
How about Anaheim?

People have to stop assuming these guys will become free agents.
If they can't extend them before the deadline they said they are going to consider trading them rather then losing them for nothing come summer time like the Devils and Wild did last year with Parise and Suter. If you're the GM you mind is made up already IMO, you either offer them a good deal and see if they take it and if they don't it's most probably cause they're going to want to test the UFA market and then you get screwed with nothing to show for it

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:53 AM
  #23
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
If DD wants more than 2.0 he can walk.

For the 4th line, I want Lapierre and Bordeleau.

For the 1st line, aim for Perry, Semin, or Vanek. If we fail, move on, keep the space, and try again in 2014.
lol @ Lapierre. He's garbage now. I'm a Canucks fan second and my best friend is a Canucks fan first. Bourne from our boards is as well.

Lappy is about as good as Colby Armstrong.

DD will get $2M-$2.5M right now. If he has a solid cup run, he'll get $3M. That's a solid contract, especially if we can find a way to rid ourselves of Brian Gionta.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:59 AM
  #24
ClasslessGuy
Registered User
 
ClasslessGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St-Jean, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,654
vCash: 567
Desharnias will stay and will have 2.5

I would go over 2 years...

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:06 AM
  #25
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,446
vCash: 500
It not necessarily ONE big UFA like Perry. It could be 2 good players like a 25 goal winger plus a big stay at home d-man who can play #3-4.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.