HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Prospect Talk

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 08:17 AM
Cullksinikers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
he could end up as 1st overall pick... depends on the team who will pick 1st. If they need a F prospect badly, I think they would take him over Jones
However, there are team's that are not winnin'/slippin' for MacKinnon.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:19 AM
Cullksinikers

Drouin is getting 2.21 PPG to MacKinnon's 1.68 PPG in the same league at the moment.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:53 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Drouin is already speculated by some rankings as the #1 overall. Wouldnt surprise me. Whoever gets a lotto pick is going to get a very solid prospect.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Hayes was never really hyped by anyone. To the contrary he was immediately called a reach by many. I see him being a middle-six tweener. A Hayes-Bolland-Hayes line could potentially be a beastly shutdown line.
Hayes was a project who was likely early/mid 2nd rounder

Problem was there was speculation the Bruins were trying to move up from Leafs 2nd round spot to pick him

Bowman wanted him and just went ahead with it (Then picked up his Brother the next day)

Old
02-25-2013, 02:41 PM
Sevanston

I have some vague memories of Bowman saying sometime in summer 2010 that he expected Kayes to play at BC through at least his junior year

So it's possible that his development path is going roughly how the Hawks brass expected it to go.

Old
02-25-2013, 03:34 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
I have some vague memories of Bowman saying sometime in summer 2010 that he expected Kayes to play at BC through at least his junior year

So it's possible that his development path is going roughly how the Hawks brass expected it to go.
I think it was Mark Kelley who said they expected Hayes to spend two years at BC.

Old
02-25-2013, 06:03 PM
Sevanston

Kayes is back to practicing with the team today, which probably means his suspension is over, since it was a team rule violation.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:39 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

good to hear. Maybe it will help him a bit more to focus again and makes him an even better prospect

Old
02-26-2013, 03:18 PM
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs

Kayes is back in the lineup for BC tonight.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:46 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Moncton's absolutely destroying Cape Breton tonight. It's 10-1 and the third's got 15+ mins left. Danault has 3 assists and has won 8 of 13 faceoffs.

Give Danault 10 points in his last 8 periods.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:19 PM
Hawkaholic

He's ready imo. No doubt he'll be here next year in place of Bickell. Him or Shaw at C, depending on how Danault handles it.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:20 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Nice article on Carruth on Blackhawks official page.

Quote:
First, there was the record for wins by a goaltender.

On Jan. 9, 2013, Blackhawks prospect Mac Carruth made 23 saves against the Prince George Cougars in front of 3,000 Portland Winterhawks fans at Veterans Memorial Coliseum. It would have been a pretty typical outing, except for two things: The 3-0 score gave Carruth his eighth career shutout, tying a team record, and the result went into the books as his 106th win, breaking a franchise mark that was set three decades ago.
Link

Old
02-26-2013, 08:57 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Nice article on Carruth on Blackhawks official page.

Link
I was just about to post that.

Some quotes from the end

“His work ethic, his compete level and his puck-handling abilities are really something that’s hard to teach,” Allen said. “If we can keep improving his game, and if he can keep maturing and developing, he definitely has the ability to become an NHL goaltender in the future.”

“In five years, we’d hope to see him with that Indian Head back on his chest,” Kelley added.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:22 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Not to be outdone tonight, Mark McNeill just picked up his 3rd assist on the night as PA leads Moose Jaw (Travis Brown) 4-1.

McNeill has 58 points in 56 games. On the surface, that doesn't sound great but when you consider he's the only player on the Raiders to be scoring at a PpG(+) rate.

McNeill = 1.03PpG
Barbaro = 0.81PpG
Draisaitl = 0.90PpG
Conroy = 0.86PpG
Winther = 0.77PpG

The Raiders have depth, but they don't have anyone for McNeill to play with that's close to as equally talented.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:44 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Leon Draisaitl is projected to be a possible lotto pick next year.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:46 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
I know, but he's still very young and it's his first season in N.A. He's not anywhere near as good as McNeill is, today. Doesn't mean he won't end up being the better player. Not that it matters as I don't think they even play together on the same line.

In hindsight, "talented" was the wrong word. Should have said good.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:52 PM
sunsoutgunsout
#redacted

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
I know, but he's still very young and it's his first season in N.A. He's not anywhere near as good as McNeill is, today. Doesn't mean he won't end up being the better player. Not that it matters as I don't think they even play together on the same line.

In hindsight, "talented" was the wrong word. Should have said good.
Hawks and Raiders fan living in Moose Jaw checking in here. I got back from the game about an hour ago, and McNeill looked incredible. He's so, so strong, both off and on the puck. When he's on the puck, he is just never knocked off, and when he's off the puck, he's in perfect position to get it. I was as impressed as I've ever been with him. Two of the assists were primary assists, and gorgeous passes. I doubt he'll be a center in the NHL, because he probably lost 65-70% of his faceoffs tonight.

In regards to Draisaitl, he is definitely more offensively talented than McNeill right now. He's likely only behind McNeill in points because he took some time to adjust to the NA game, and doesn't get as much time on ice as Mark. Draisaitl's passing, hands, and vision remind me a lot of Patrick Kane. He doesn't have great skating yet, not particularly fast or agile, but has good enough positioning to make up for it. I'd be beyond thrilled if the Hawks took him next year. He's going to be a star.

In regards to lines, tonight, Draisaitl centered Conroy and Perreaux, and McNeill centered Winther and Danyluk. Draisaitl plays on the first power play with McNeill, Morrissey, Winther, and Vandane.

I'm super new on the boards, but if you guys have any Raids question for me, I'll try my best.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:27 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
really?? wait, really???

That'd be great.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:36 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslersgirl View Post
Hawks and Raiders fan living in Moose Jaw checking in here. I got back from the game about an hour ago, and McNeill looked incredible. He's so, so strong, both off and on the puck. When he's on the puck, he is just never knocked off, and when he's off the puck, he's in perfect position to get it. I was as impressed as I've ever been with him. Two of the assists were primary assists, and gorgeous passes. I doubt he'll be a center in the NHL, because he probably lost 65-70% of his faceoffs tonight.

In regards to Draisaitl, he is definitely more offensively talented than McNeill right now. He's likely only behind McNeill in points because he took some time to adjust to the NA game, and doesn't get as much time on ice as Mark. Draisaitl's passing, hands, and vision remind me a lot of Patrick Kane. He doesn't have great skating yet, not particularly fast or agile, but has good enough positioning to make up for it. I'd be beyond thrilled if the Hawks took him next year. He's going to be a star.

In regards to lines, tonight, Draisaitl centered Conroy and Perreaux, and McNeill centered Winther and Danyluk. Draisaitl plays on the first power play with McNeill, Morrissey, Winther, and Vandane.

I'm super new on the boards, but if you guys have any Raids question for me, I'll try my best.
It's definitely nice to have fans be able to watch guys like McNeill, Danault and Teravainen on a regular basis. Thanks for all the info and welcome to the board.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:02 AM
Sevanston

Kayes had an assist on BC's first goal coming back into the lineup tonight, but left in the 3rd with a quad injury.

Coach York said he's not expecting Kayes to play on Friday, but they'll see.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:56 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Hey guys. Rangers fan here. Can I ask how Saad has been treated? Specifically, has Coach Q allowed him to play through his mistakes, or does be bench him everytime? Was Saad put on the Toews line from the beginning? I'm asking because we on the NYR board are very divided on how Tortorella is treating Kreider.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:47 AM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Hey guys. Rangers fan here. Can I ask how Saad has been treated? Specifically, has Coach Q allowed him to play through his mistakes, or does be bench him everytime? Was Saad put on the Toews line from the beginning? I'm asking because we on the NYR board are very divided on how Tortorella is treating Kreider.
From what I've seen, Saad doesn't make many mistakes save for the occasional penalty. He's all effort, plays big and strong, hustles to the puck, forechecks and backchecks agressively, is very astute defensively, reads develoiping plays, passes well, creates scoring opportunities, cycles, etc, etc, etc... The only thing he hasn't done is put up the points. Perhaps he'd fare better if he were paired with Kane, but on the line with Hossa and Toews, they just control the puck for long stretches. Aside from a bunch of recent shifts with Carcillo on left wing, that first line spot has belonged to Saad.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:04 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

My opinion of Saad...

I like him a lot. Had him ranked #1 among Blackhawk prospects ever since his showing last year when he was auditioning for a roster spot. Rookie camp, pro camp, short audition in the NHL. Did not see him at Saginaw but his numbers spoke for itself. Hockey IQ, positioning, motor, skating ability.

That said, you can see he is a rookie offensively. He does create opportunities crashing the net, driving the lane, and all around general hustle but needs to adjust to play making because thats what he'll be doing a lot playing with Toews and Hossa. Im sure hes used to being fed the puck at Saginaw but here, he has to develop his playing making abilities more. Excellent considering his experience but is still developing in that department... imo of course.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:20 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslersgirl View Post

First welcome to the boards. Saw your post in the Yandelbars prospect thread.

Interesting observations about McNeill. Most were hoping for a big C but what I bolded is my opinion as well...he may not be a C in the show...if he makes it. Hes playing in his last year so his numbers should be good. The Hawks are also loaded with prospects at wing. Beach had sick numbers in his last year. The problem I have with McNeill is while he looks good in his age group playing the same age guys or younger, he didnt particularly impress at rookie camp, at least imo.

Since you are in Moose Jaw, several of us here are very interested in Travis Brown. He is playing with Morgan Reilly (unless hes paired differently). Some say Reilly is making Browns numbers. Others say his offense would be for the most part be the same with or without Reilly. Offense aside, defensively hows his game? Moose Jaw is taking a hit this year. Regegade stylings predicted that much.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:06 AM
sunsoutgunsout
#redacted

Quote:
Since you are in Moose Jaw, several of us here are very interested in Travis Brown. He is playing with Morgan Reilly (unless hes paired differently). Some say Reilly is making Browns numbers. Others say his offense would be for the most part be the same with or without Reilly. Offense aside, defensively hows his game? Moose Jaw is taking a hit this year. Regegade stylings predicted that much.
I'd love to say he was doing well, but he leaves me so frustrated every time he's on the ice. He's incredibly aggressive with his pinches, and gets caught out of position a lot. So, his partner is often left hung out to dry. That's easily the worst part of his game. He also seems to take a lot of interference penalties on dump ins, which lends itself to my opinion on him, that is, that he takes too many stupid open ice penalties. He's got to take the most penalties out of his own zone that I've ever seen from a defenceman. Those are the big negatives I see in him.

In his own zone, he's pretty good. He's nasty in corners; very few of the Raids could win the puck along the boards against Brown. The biggest positive I've regularly noticed, defensively speaking, is his play in front of the net. He made the Raiders big net presence guys (usually Jayden Hart) pay big time for trying to screen Paulic, but managed to never take a penalty. I really like that.

Closed Thread