HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NHL revised realignment with 4 conferences & wild cards

Old
02-27-2013, 07:43 AM
Robbymac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdizzle View Post
"there's a possibility five teams make it from one division and only three from another"
"It would be divisional playoffs, not conference playoffs, so 1 vs. 4, 2 vs 3 "

Am I missing something?
Yes, Top 3 in each division make it. For the 4th spot in each division playoff you take the other (8 in the west, 10 in the East) teams who didn't qualify, and take the top two point earners regardless of their division and they get wild cards.

Then the Division winner with the most points plays the Wild Card with the least, and the Division winner with the lesser amount plays the Wild Card with the most points.

Robbymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:50 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
Most of you are missing the point about divisional playoffs. It's about having to play the same team in the playoffs many times to create a rivalry.

Look at Van-Chi. They don't have history, nor any state rivalry. But they hate each other because they faced in playoffs like 3-4 times.
I wonder the validity of this. It's a fair point but I feel like with all the team's in the West that make it they have alot of history with one another regardless. In the East I think this is just as true. This is in regards to consistent playoff teams West: VAN CHI SJS

It's understandable but you have to worry about parity. Right now the way the league is set up it allows for smaller market teams to be competitive. With only four teams from each division making it, wouldn't there be a concern that teams like Florida, Columbus, and the like would not generally be successful or have playoff hopes. Is that of concern do you think??

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:56 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

If this plan goes through, and Florida were to move to Quebec, the entire division should be just renamed HATE AND ANGER. my god that would be the most hated division and would be a major focus of the NHL.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:19 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
Ideally in the next couple years we will have:

Eastern: loses detroit, adds quebec
Atlantic: stays the same
Central: adds detroit
Pacific: adds seattle

No need for a crossover, just straight divisional playoffs.
This. I had made this point on the QC subsection on the Business Board.

Pacific

Ducks, Nucks, Avs, Oilers, Flames, Sharks, Kings

Midwest

Hawks, Wings, Jets, Wild, Preds, Stars, Blues

Central

B's, Habs, Leafs, Quebec, Sabres, Panthers, Bolts, Sens

I'm an East Coaster but as much as I'd hate to have more teams in our conference, anythings better than having to hear about how easy our travel is.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:47 AM
RattleYourSabre

The NHL has to be smart about this. They HAVE to figure in future expansion/relocation into this or its not worth doing yet.

The two divisions with seven teams are the divisions that would likely receive expansion teams. In this case it would be the midwest and the pacific.

Pacific:Anaheim, Calgary, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver

Mid-West: Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis, Winnipeg

Central: Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, Tampa Bay,
Toronto

Atlantic: Carolina, Columbus, New Jersey, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington

By this set up, the east couldn't receive an expansion team, which would rule out Quebec or Toronto II or even Hartford for expansion. A team like Florida to Quebec would make sense to move, however.

So now we're left with two western conference expansion teams. And of course the Phoenix situation. If Phoenix moves to Seattle, Seattle is out for expansion. So now we still need to find two teams in the mountain/pacific time zones.

Any ideas?

RattleYourSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:11 AM
Spectra
Registered boozer

My best suggestion. Fair but not perfect, which it can't be with 30 teams and geography (in terms of travel, rivalries):

WEST: ANA, LAK, SJ, PHX, COL, VAN, EDM, CAL
NORTH: WPG, MIN, CHI, DET, TOR, STL, BUF
SOUTHEAST: DAL, NAS, CAR, WAS, CBJ, PIT, PHI
EAST: FLO, TB, BOS, MTL, NYR, NYI, NJ, OTT

Every team gets to travel a bit and keep at least one rivalry.

Divisional playoffs, winners of the four divisions re-seeded for semis based on points.

Spectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:18 AM
RattleYourSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectra View Post
My best suggestion. Fair but not perfect, which it can't be with 30 teams and geography (in terms of travel, rivalries):

Divisional playoffs, winners of the four divisions re-seeded for semis based on points.
Way too much time zone crossover across the board here.

North: Detroit, Toronto and Buffalo are eastern time zone.
Southeast: Dallas and Nashville (mostly) are different time zones than the rest of the league.

The way the NHL currently has it is at least close to limiting time zone travel, which is a major goal of the realignment.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:21 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:

i thinking putting toronto in a different division than montreal and ottawa is a horrible idea.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:25 AM
Spectra
Registered boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
i thinking putting toronto in a different division than montreal and ottawa is a horrible idea.
And I think removing TOR and now DET from Chicagos division is an equally horrible idea...

Old
02-27-2013, 09:28 AM
Spectra
Registered boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleYourSabre View Post
Way too much time zone crossover across the board here.

The way the NHL currently has it is at least close to limiting time zone travel, which is a major goal of the realignment.
I know, and it will result in freaking horrible divisions! Seriously, why is this such as issue? Some teams out west have been traveling horribly for a long time. When the geography is what it is, why not make it fairer across the board instead?

Old
02-27-2013, 09:32 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
And I think removing TOR and now DET from Chicagos division is an equally horrible idea...
toronto hasn't been in the same division as chicago for almost 15 years so it's not being 'removed'. as far as the red wings, from what i've read, the team wants to be moved and the fans are mainly happy about it. the team with the main problem with it is chicago.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:40 AM
Spectra
Registered boozer

Quote:
toronto hasn't been in the same division as chicago for almost 15 years so it's not being 'removed'. as far as the red wings, from what i've read, the team wants to be moved and the fans are mainly happy about it. the team with the main problem with it is chicago.
Hence, TOR was removed, doesn't matter it was 15 years ago. An historic rival removed, leaving us with one. Now they want to remove the other one and leave us with 7 (5) expansion teams?? It's bs and I think the Hawks should be livid. Only way to rectify this is to make it fair and have 3 + 3 O6 teams together, if travel is such an enormous issue.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:41 AM
RattleYourSabre

Quote:
I know, and it will result in freaking horrible divisions! Seriously, why is this such as issue? Some teams out west have been traveling horribly for a long time. When the geography is what it is, why not make it fairer across the board instead?
You don't think that the current realignment plan makes it more fair to those teams in the western conference? I do. Big time...

Looking at divisions (and then teams/time zone)...

Pacific:Anaheim(PST), Los Angeles(PST), San Jose(PST), Vancouver(PST), Calgary (MTZ), Edmonton (MTZ), Phoenix (MTZ)

All of these teams vary in time by an hour. Whether a game starts at 6:30 or 7:30, it's easier for fans of these teams within these areas to view away games in division. Travel isn't too bad, either

Mid-West: Chicago (CTZ), Dallas (CTZ), Minnesota (CTZ), Nashville (CTZ), St. Louis (CTZ), Winnipeg (CTZ), Colorado (MTZ)

The only team that isn't in the central time zone here is Colorado. And for that reason, I think they should be in an 8-team division with the Pacific teams. However, their games will also only be off by an hour with the CTZ teams, so it's not too big of a deal. And if you move COL to the Pacific, you need another team in the MidWest, and that would be an Eastern Time Zone team... So you'd have an issue regardless. I'm okay with this division.

ALL teams in the Central/Atlantic are Eastern Time Zone Based

Central: Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, Tampa Bay,
Toronto

Atlantic: Carolina, Columbus, New Jersey, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington

The only issue I have with this conference is that I think it could be rearranged, but that's not too big of an issue to be honest with you. It keeps the eastern time zone teams together and prevents gobs of travel from the Mountain/Pacific time zone teams to the east coast. If you start putting Eastern Time Zone teams in other divisions, you're adding travel to the more western teams.

As a whole, I think the divisions are laid out well. My only concern is that with the seven team divisions both in the west, that's where expansion teams would need to be placed. Unless, of course, a team like Florida moved to Seattle and they swapped divisions and Quebec came in as an expansion franchise.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:04 AM
Count Von Grabo*

Does kinda suck for Chicago. St.Louis is their only historical rival left. I'm not counting the Nucks as one, even though they certainly are rivals at the moment.

Count Von Grabo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:08 AM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Von Grabo View Post
Does kinda suck for Chicago. St.Louis is their only historical rival left. I'm not counting the Nucks as one, even though they certainly are rivals at the moment.
Can't please everyone. When Québec comes back they might the wings back anyway.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:15 AM
Riddick

any mention on whether or not they are bringing back the old conference names?

Riddick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:25 AM
Roomtemperature

vCash: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
I hope not but I'm a traditionalist in that way

Roomtemperature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:36 AM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
No from what I heard they aren't which sucks.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:49 AM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
Most of you are missing the point about divisional playoffs. It's about having to play the same team in the playoffs many times to create a rivalry.

Look at Van-Chi. They don't have history, nor any state rivalry. But they hate each other because they faced in playoffs like 3-4 times.
Exactly! Most of us in the Atlantic don't care about Columbus, but they are close enough that I'm sure some sort of rivalry will develop after playing them a bunch.

The current 6 division format is flawed as well, even if you swap Winnipeg. Take for example the current standings in the east, where Carolina is in 3rd place, however they should really be in 8th or 9th. 4 divisions or conferences is a much better idea for hockey. I also hope they do away with the whole East vs. West thing because its pointless, why in the world does a east team have to face a west team for the cup? Reseed the final 4 and add wild card crossover and you have the most exciting SCFs in a very long time. Who wouldn't want Chi vs Van, NYR vs Bos, or a Mon vs Tor for the cup?

Another cool side effect of getting rid of east vs west... A new ASG format, now we can have 4 mini teams based on each conference and have a mini tourney.

East vs. West sucks, it's old, it's stale, it's pointless and it should be tied to a tree and shot.

Edit: I forgot to mention that reseeding the final 4 would also negate any unfair travel advantages between east and west in the playoffs since you might end up with NY playing LA and Chi playing Nsh for example. That's so much cooler than the typical eastern and western finals, which to me are boring and predictable.

Last edited by Mory Schneideur*: 02-27-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:51 AM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
The issue of keeping the rivalry can easily be resolved with relocation to Quebec

Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Syckle78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Can't please everyone. When Québec comes back they might the wings back anyway.
The Wings are going East and there is zero chance they are moving back after a little visit.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:08 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Hence, TOR was removed, doesn't matter it was 15 years ago. An historic rival removed, leaving us with one. Now they want to remove the other one and leave us with 7 (5) expansion teams?? It's bs and I think the Hawks should be livid. Only way to rectify this is to make it fair and have 3 + 3 O6 teams together, if travel is such an enormous issue.
i'm a hawks fan...so i'm not happy detroit is being moved. but the solution is not to move toronto to the conference. if anything, chicago should demand to move along with detroit.

i think the divisions more appropriately should be

Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Detroit, Chicago, Ottawa, Buffalo, and Tampa.

new jersey, nyr, nyi, pittsburgh, philadelphia, florida, carolina, washington

columbus, st. louis, nashville, winnipeg, colorado, minnesota, dallas

vancouver, edmonton, calgary, anaheim, SJ, LA, phoenix

^^ really is the very best solution

eta: if, for rivalry reasons, the two florida teams have to be kept together, then move washington to the division with Toronto, etc. and tampa to the division i have florida in.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Stephen23

Quote:
i'm a hawks fan...so i'm not happy detroit is being moved. but the solution is not to move toronto to the conference. if anything, chicago should demand to move along with detroit.

i think the divisions more appropriately should be

Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Detroit, Chicago, Ottawa, Buffalo, and Tampa.

new jersey, nyr, nyi, pittsburgh, philadelphia, florida, carolina, washington

columbus, st. louis, nashville, winnipeg, colorado, minnesota, dallas

vancouver, edmonton, calgary, anaheim, SJ, LA, phoenix

^^ really is the very best solution

eta: if, for rivalry reasons, the two florida teams have to be kept together, then move washington to the division with Toronto, etc. and tampa to the division i have florida in.
I don't see the NHL wanting to split up the Florida teams. Maybe swap Tampa with Carolina?

Stephen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:13 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen23 View Post
I don't see the NHL wanting to split up the Florida teams. Maybe swap Tampa with Carolina?
maybe washington.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Stephen23

Quote:
maybe washington.
No way NHL removes the potential Pens-Caps from the same division. This is why the NHL chose to send the 2 Florida teams to the North East instead of the more sensible Washington/Carolina.

Stephen23 is offline   Reply With Quote