HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 4.0

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 12:23 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Didn't Willy Palov report that Gauthier won the agility skating competition at the top prospects game practice?

I had read it was a strength, haven't seen him much.

Excited to see him on sportsnet on friday.
Interesting, I didn't know that. I was more talking about overall speed than skating technique mind you, but still nice to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Here's the most recent Hockey Lobby Mock Draft! Enjoy and as usual, comments and reactions are welcomed!

http://hockeylobby.blogspot.com/2013...n-edition.html
Thanks for posting, always like to read other people's take at it

Just a heads up, Morin plays for Rimouski. Laurent Dauphin is the one who plays with Chicoutimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
You clearly have no idea what context is. Petan is playing with established and high profile CHLers in Leipsic and Rattie (and Rutkowski + young Bjorkstrand, etc.) backed by veteran Carruth + Seth Jones, Pouliot and Wotherspoon. That team is beyond stacked and experienced.

Mac and Drouin are playing on a good team but the depth and experience is nowhere near these guys. And Gallagher played on some really weak Vancouver teams.

I'm not saying Petan won't be better than our player but rather temper your wild expectations by putting his impressive results into context.
Halifax is the best team in the CHL. Yes Portland is stacked, but just look at the production of Halifax's team, and come back at me. That being said, Drouin and Petan are on different levels IMO.

Last edited by QuebecPride: 02-27-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old
02-27-2013, 12:39 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Maybe Halifax's record is better in the weaker Q, but head to head, Portland would win in 5.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:39 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Maybe Halifax's record is better in the weaker Q, but head to head, Portland would win in 5.
Yeah... no.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:17 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Yeah... no.
Well then let's hope they make it to the Mem Cup then

Old
02-27-2013, 04:42 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Well then let's hope they make it to the Mem Cup then
Dude Halifax is ridiculous, I can't think of a verb there that good,

Old
02-27-2013, 06:10 AM
NovaScotia Habsfan31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I didn't say he could be stopped easily, but he isn't as multi dimensional.

From what I have seen of MacKinnon his hockey IQ is only slightly above average. His hands and speed are well above average. He is a decent playmaker but not anywhere close to Drouin. His assistys will dry up in the pros as his speed won't create as much space for him as in junior.

Where do you get that macKinnon has more intangibles? Which ones? Drouin's work ethic is off the charts.
From what you have seen? What- a few games at the Moncton Coliseum!

Nate's hockey IQ isn't as high as Drouin's but it is still very high and his work ethic is comparable to Drouin's.

I have seen Nathan play way more than you have over the last year and a half and you are big time wrong on him but you spout silliness on more than one board don't ya!

Old
02-27-2013, 06:38 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
You're talking out your ass there. We have no idea which league or team is stronger, last year St.John won the QMJHL title and Shawinigan the Memorial Cup. The WHL representative(Edmonton) wasn't even in the final.

Based on the statistical data I would say a 7 game series between those 2 could go either way and would go at least 6 and probably 7 games.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:44 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaScotia Habsfan31 View Post
From what you have seen? What- a few games at the Moncton Coliseum!

Nate's hockey IQ isn't as high as Drouin's but it is still very high and his work ethic is comparable to Drouin's.

I have seen Nathan play way more than you have over the last year and a half and you are big time wrong on him but you spout silliness on more than one board don't ya!
Yeah cause MacKinnon never plays on tv or anything...

So because you're a Halifax fan you can say anything and then trump what anybody else says by "I have seen him play 50 games the last 2 years"?

Usually for scouts they don't want to see a player too much because they start just seeing flaws in that player, but being a big Halifax fan I guess it's the opposite.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:19 AM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
You're talking out your ass there. We have no idea which league or team is stronger, last year St.John won the QMJHL title and Shawinigan the Memorial Cup. The WHL representative(Edmonton) wasn't even in the final.

Based on the statistical data I would say a 7 game series between those 2 could go either way and would go at least 6 and probably 7 games.
this I agree with. In this case. the WHL plays a very gritty tighter checking style and try and use their size to gind and wear down their opponents. The Q league normally emphasizes a flashier less "tough" style. But Halifax has a very big and strong team that can (and does) play that way. They don't have to as much out here in the east, but they can match the OHL and WHL in any category.

Also, I have seen the Q make great strides in developping talent in all styles of players instead of the emphasis on the flashy player and butterfly goalie.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:50 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
this I agree with. In this case. the WHL plays a very gritty tighter checking style and try and use their size to gind and wear down their opponents. The Q league normally emphasizes a flashier less "tough" style. But Halifax has a very big and strong team that can (and does) play that way. They don't have to as much out here in the east, but they can match the OHL and WHL in any category.

Also, I have seen the Q make great strides in developping talent in all styles of players instead of the emphasis on the flashy player and butterfly goalie.
I find the OHL is at one end as the more finesse league that gives big suspensions on hits and repetitive fighters. WHL is more pro-style but a lot of their best teams recently have played less of the "typical WHL" style. The Q is in the middle, some are more grinding teams, others are more pure finesse, more big hits and fighting than OHL.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:18 AM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
I find the OHL is at one end as the more finesse league that gives big suspensions on hits and repetitive fighters. WHL is more pro-style but a lot of their best teams recently have played less of the "typical WHL" style. The Q is in the middle, some are more grinding teams, others are more pure finesse, more big hits and fighting than OHL.
that's fair. I've lived in 6 provinces over the last 15 years and have watched alot of the 3 leagues. And you're pretty bang on. The top Q teams the last 5-6 years have moved more to balance their teams to be able to play the 3 styles to have a chance at the Mem Cup. It's looking like a solid year for it again with Rimouski/Halifax (hon. mention to Baie Comeau, and BB).

Bottom line, Saskatoon will be the place to watch hockey in May.

As far as the Habs draft is concerned, if someone is a die hard for drafting from their backyard, 2013 is a good year to have multiple mid round picks. The Q has some very solid mid rounders available.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:36 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
that's fair. I've lived in 6 provinces over the last 15 years and have watched alot of the 3 leagues. And you're pretty bang on. The top Q teams the last 5-6 years have moved more to balance their teams to be able to play the 3 styles to have a chance at the Mem Cup. It's looking like a solid year for it again with Rimouski/Halifax (hon. mention to Baie Comeau, and BB).

Bottom line, Saskatoon will be the place to watch hockey in May.

As far as the Habs draft is concerned, if someone is a die hard for drafting from their backyard, 2013 is a good year to have multiple mid round picks. The Q has some very solid mid rounders available.
There are 3-5 QMJHL players that are candidates in pretty much every round. 2nd year eligibles like Dea Bibeau Verrier Andrighetto Johnston could also be drafted.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:53 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Can't wait for the draft. I would like to get a guy like Duclair if he is still there. Why did he fall in the rankings ? If not I would be satisfied with Mantha or Carrier.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:56 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Can't wait for the draft. I would like to get a guy like Duclair if he is still there. Why did he fall in the rankings ? If not I would be satisfied with Mantha or Carrier.
Duclair could be a steal in the 2nd if our development people can get max production out of his skill. He has the speed and hands similar to of a MacKinnon but has yet to put it consistently together.

With Carrier missing half the season he will surely drop, maybe we can get him with our 4th pick(not 4th round, 3rd 2nd rounder).

Old
02-27-2013, 09:15 AM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
There are 3-5 QMJHL players that are candidates in pretty much every round. 2nd year eligibles like Dea Bibeau Verrier Andrighetto Johnston could also be drafted.
late 2nd rd and the 3rd round should be called the "Q league draft rounds" I think we'll see more Q players drafted there than any other league in that area. And I can definately see 2 of our 3 picks in that range being Q players.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:20 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Like CP said, he has speed and skill, but I find he has the hockey IQ of a fencepost. I'm not a fan.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:28 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
late 2nd rd and the 3rd round should be called the "Q league draft rounds" I think we'll see more Q players drafted there than any other league in that area. And I can definately see 2 of our 3 picks in that range being Q players.
With Morin and Carrier being hurt taht may push that to that range. Normally they would be early 2nd guys IMHO.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
I'd bet money that 1 of Duclair or Carrier will be a Hab on draft day with this extra 3rd. Maybe even both. Both being able to play LW's is a good fit for our prospect pool too.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:41 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Yeah cause MacKinnon never plays on tv or anything...

So because you're a Halifax fan you can say anything and then trump what anybody else says by "I have seen him play 50 games the last 2 years"?

Usually for scouts they don't want to see a player too much because they start just seeing flaws in that player, but being a big Halifax fan I guess it's the opposite.
Not to disrespect your or anything... But I think you pretty much just making assumptions about Mackinnon VS Drouin. Saying Mackinnon has a bad attitude/bad IQ seems just like you saw him on one of his bad games... Where he pretty much looks bad. But that's about 5 games in the whole season. Mackinnon is all you'd want in a player and has all the skills you'd want on a elite level. It's why he's so highly touted.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:55 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I'd bet money that 1 of Duclair or Carrier will be a Hab on draft day with this extra 3rd. Maybe even both. Both being able to play LW's is a good fit for our prospect pool too.
Did Duclair really drop that low now? Wow wasn't he projected late 1st early 2nd earlier this season

Old
02-27-2013, 11:02 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Not to disrespect your or anything... But I think you pretty much just making assumptions about Mackinnon VS Drouin. Saying Mackinnon has a bad attitude/bad IQ seems just like you saw him on one of his bad games... Where he pretty much looks bad. But that's about 5 games in the whole season. Mackinnon is all you'd want in a player and has all the skills you'd want on a elite level. It's why he's so highly touted.
The attitude thing comes from Team Canada coaches who had him at TWO inbternational tournaments.

I never said he had BAD IQ, just slightly above average while Drouin's is the best in the draft from what many scouts are saying.

What I would want from MacKinnon that he currently doesn't have...or I haven't seen in 15-20 viewings is the ability to see the whole ice at a high level, like Crosby did. He will score goals of his own at the pro level but won't turn a 20 goal scorer into a 30 goal scorer, he profiles more as a #2 center or #1 line winger than elite #1 center.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:53 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
The attitude thing comes from Team Canada coaches who had him at TWO inbternational tournaments.

I never said he had BAD IQ, just slightly above average while Drouin's is the best in the draft from what many scouts are saying.

What I would want from MacKinnon that he currently doesn't have...or I haven't seen in 15-20 viewings is the ability to see the whole ice at a high level, like Crosby did. He will score goals of his own at the pro level but won't turn a 20 goal scorer into a 30 goal scorer, he profiles more as a #2 center or #1 line winger than elite #1 center.
I might even say that Mac has a better hockey IQ than Drouin.

Thing is, he has that ability but he's not that type of player just yet. He's young (6 months younger than Droudrou) and it will come. He plays a really intense game and over the years he had success by himself, he'll see that at a higher level of play you rely on your teammates a lot more and that's when he'll become that dangerous threat.

Don't you find it kind of sad that you pencil Drouin in a 1st line player and Mackinnon in a second line C when Mackinnon is younger and has the better career Q numbers ?

You're all in love with Drouin (rightly so. He's incredible.) but you forget about what Mack has done and about what he could(will.) do. Drouin is now the flavour of the month prospect, we get it but there's a whole world of prospect out there.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Did Duclair really drop that low now? Wow wasn't he projected late 1st early 2nd earlier this season
Yes, he has fallen. He got injured early (the dreaded high ankle sprain). He's not even a point per game player this season after being one last year as a 16 year old.

Quite possible he falls into the late 2nd/early 3rd round portion of this draft.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
I might even say that Mac has a better hockey IQ than Drouin.

Thing is, he has that ability but he's not that type of player just yet. He's young (6 months younger than Droudrou) and it will come. He plays a really intense game and over the years he had success by himself, he'll see that at a higher level of play you rely on your teammates a lot more and that's when he'll become that dangerous threat.

Don't you find it kind of sad that you pencil Drouin in a 1st line player and Mackinnon in a second line C when Mackinnon is younger and has the better career Q numbers ?

You're all in love with Drouin (rightly so. He's incredible.) but you forget about what Mack has done and about what he could(will.) do. Drouin is now the flavour of the month prospect, we get it but there's a whole world of prospect out there.
Why would MacKinnon be able to do certain things in the pros taht he isn't doing in the QMJHL, that makes no sense at all...usually it works the other way where guys have to adapt and can't do certain things in the pros that they did in the Q.

I think both are 1st liners, but MacKinnon will have to play wing on the 1st line with a "distributor" at center. While Drouin is more the distributor himself.

MacKinnon had better numbers last year, but Drouin has passed him this year and his production i over a half PPGM better(1.68 vs 2.21), do you think that's just a fluke?

Old
02-27-2013, 12:20 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Why would MacKinnon be able to do certain things in the pros taht he isn't doing in the QMJHL, that makes no sense at all...usually it works the other way where guys have to adapt and can't do certain things in the pros that they did in the Q.

I think both are 1st liners, but MacKinnon will have to play wing on the 1st line with a "distributor" at center. While Drouin is more the distributor himself.

MacKinnon had better numbers last year, but Drouin has passed him this year and his production i over a half PPGM better(1.68 vs 2.21), do you think that's just a fluke?
That's exactly what I'm talking about. You really think Mac is not distributing because he can't ? Get real. He's one of the best player in the Q and also one of the youngest. Read my whole post and try to understand it before making yourself look silly.

Closed Thread