HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are the Rangers too soft?

View Poll Results: Are the Rangers too soft?
Yes 155 83.78%
No 18 9.73%
Too early to tell 12 6.49%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-25-2013, 10:35 PM
haveandare

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
yeesh...I'm pretty sure no one was suggesting going full-on Bertuzzi, but there's nothing wrong with a punch or two and some shoving around after a bad hit like that.

It was early enough in the game that even if they did take a penalty and go down 2-0, there's time to get the goals back. Really have to wonder what's going on in that room if the guys won't even bother to stand up for one another at all.
Exactly. That article makes it sound like the only options are to seriously injure someone or to skate away. I'm not sure what sport they think they're talking about.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:07 AM
Pizza

The Rangers have no ability to dictate a physical game. They have no answer when opponents begin taking advantage. If you have no physical element then you had better be able to make opponents pay when they get called for a penalty. The Rangers have neither. People keep discounting the physical element of the game....but we are still discussing hockey after all.

Pizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:09 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
The Rangers have no ability to dictate a physical game. They have no answer when opponents begin taking advantage. If you have no physical element then you had better be able to make opponents pay when they get called for a penalty. The Rangers have neither. People keep discounting the physical element of the game....but we are still discussing hockey after all.
Exactly. For years the Rangers would try to get the one baddest goon to handle the rough stuff. But, that goon would go out and fight the other teams goon and then after the dust settles, the opposing team went back out and dictated the physicality on the Rangers other players.

Coincidence how last season for the first time since the early 90's, the Rangers went out and physically dominated other teams along the boards and in front of the net that they were able to be so successful?

Terms like "grinding" out wins and "jam" were the words of the day for last years squad. This season they are neither a smashmouth in your face team or a skilled team looking to skate and create off of transition.

The philosophy of the coach doesn't match the mentality of its players.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:15 AM
Dorado*

This ^

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:21 AM
Crease

The problem isn't that the Rangers are too soft. It's that they're trying to play a physical game with a soft line-up.

Maybe it's time to open things up and try to skate around the opposition. The coaching staff seems to disagree.

Last edited by Crease: 02-26-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:37 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
The problem isn't that the Rangers are too soft. It's that they're trying to play a physical game with a soft line-up.

Maybe it's time to open things up and try to skate around the opposition. The coaching staff seems to disagree.
This is very true. They also lack the footspeed to get in on the forecheck effectively outside of Hagelin, Nash and Kreider.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:17 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:

You aren't going to "skate" around anybody when 3 of your top six forwards are Brad Richards, D.Stepan, and Taylor Pyatt.

Last edited by NYR Viper: 02-26-2013 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Slight name correction
HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:32 AM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

This is what I was talking about.

This was the game after Girardi was criticized for letting Carcillo beat up Gaborik. This is what I want to see more of. We needa light another fire under their *****.

nyrpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 12:59 PM
Heyoooo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
This is very true. They also lack the footspeed to get in on the forecheck effectively outside of Hagelin, Nash and Kreider.

I would really only say Kreider and Hagelin. Gaborik doesnt look as fast as he used to be and Nash I wouldnt say has much footspeed. Hes more of a puck possession type player. Kreider does but we're playing Bickel instead.

Tortorella is too busy trying to change players. Hes extremely stubborn with that and pretty much sums up "trying to fit a square peg in a hole" to a T.

Heyoooo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Heyoooo*

Quote:

Old
02-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo View Post
What we need is a smaller square peg or a larger round hole and it'll fit!

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:10 PM
Heyoooo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
What we need is a smaller square peg or a larger round hole and it'll fit!

No Torts just forces it in!

Old
02-26-2013, 03:04 PM
Rangers_23
Beuke!

Send a message via AIM to Rangers_23 Send a message via MSN to Rangers_23
Brian McGrattan on waivers. Anyone think he'd be a good option for new resident heavy weight?

Rangers_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:05 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers_23 View Post
Brian McGrattan on waivers. Anyone think he'd be a good option for new resident heavy weight?
If Torts thought Rupp had problems keeping up, McGrattan is not going to be an option

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:39 PM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrpassion View Post
This is what I was talking about.

This was the game after Girardi was criticized for letting Carcillo beat up Gaborik. This is what I want to see more of. We needa light another fire under their *****.
wow. watching that just made the softness of this year's team even more painful. and the hartnell hit wasn't even that bad. shoulder to shoulder. even the sense of impropriety and girardi jumped him. that's policing.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:28 AM
Jackson Ranger

Is it true the last Ranger fighting major was Jan. 26 against Toronto??

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:30 AM
Crease

This team could really use a bench clearing brawl.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:37 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
This team could really use a bench clearing brawl.
They could use something. I'm really disappointed with a guy like Mashinter. He was brought up to bring some toughness to this team and as of yet, I haven't seen it. Even Bickel, there were a couple of times yesterday he could have started something to get his team and the crowd going but nothing.

I'm not saying fighting will lead to wins, I'm just saying maybe these guys (besides Cally) can get a fire lit under their arses.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:46 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
They could use something. I'm really disappointed with a guy like Mashinter. He was brought up to bring some toughness to this team and as of yet, I haven't seen it. Even Bickel, there were a couple of times yesterday he could have started something to get his team and the crowd going but nothing.

I'm not saying fighting will lead to wins, I'm just saying maybe these guys (besides Cally) can get a fire lit under their arses.
* young players do start stuff like that all the time when they're called up. they want to get noticed in the lineup. We we call a player up, they're on their best behavior as not to upset coach John.

We called up a player from the AHL last year, big guy, 4th line aggressive player...

I think he was black or half Hawaiian, does anyone remember who i'm talking about ???

He was called up and he caused HAVOC that game. Running guys, fighting, setting a tone.

... never seen again. Coach John doesn't like that stuff.

I'll tell you for guy that talks as much crap as Torts, he sure doesn't back it up...

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:49 AM
Crease

NikC, I believe you're thinking of Andre Deveaux. He was suspended 3 games for elbowing Tomas Fleischmann in the head. Hasn't seen light of day in the NHL since. He's property of the Panthers now.

Here's a link to the elbow. It was a chicken**** play.

http://http://www.nydailynews.com/bl...-shanahan-expl

Last edited by Crease: 02-27-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old
02-27-2013, 08:50 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
* young players do start stuff like that all the time when they're called up. they want to get noticed in the lineup. We we call a player up, they're on their best behavior as not to upset coach John.

We called up a player from the AHL last year, big guy, 4th line aggressive player...

I think he was black or half Hawaiian, does anyone remember who i'm talking about ???

He was called up and he caused HAVOC that game. Running guys, fighting, setting a tone.

... never seen again. Coach John doesn't like that stuff.

I'll tell you for guy that talks as much crap as Torts, he sure doesn't back it up...
Are you thinking of Deveaux? He got the one major penalty/suspension and was never seen again.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:55 AM
NikC

Quote:
NikC, I believe you're thinking of Andre Deveaux.
YES! that's the guy... thx.

I remember one game where he was going apeS### all over the place. I'm not saying he needs to be in the lineup every night, but he made an impact in that game in the intimidation factor.

Haven't seen anyone called up do anything close to that yet in terms of physical intimidation.

Mashinter? a 230lb ghost.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:23 AM
egelband

i just want this team to stand up when challenged. and a guy running mcdonagh or nash or boyle getting pummelled in the playoffs...that's a challenge. when lundqvist gets run-over, that's a challenge. staging a fight is not tough. it's guys taking care of business when the need arises. it's sometimes not a convenient time, but it has to be done.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:30 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
Ottawa has 4 fighting majors. They were checked very well by the Rangers. People are grasping at straws trying to find a scapegoat. When Henrik is just "good" and not "great" this is your team. Once he gets back into form the Rangers will be a playoff team.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:31 PM
Leetch66

There is a guy like that in the AHL that will soon be up playing with NY ...unfortunately his name is Brett Gallant and he is an Islander . He is fearless...the next Darren Langdon . You Tube his videos ...just a matter of time before every Ranger fan hates him.

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote