HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Berg Misses practice ..Now Hedin recalled.

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2003, 07:13 PM
Leaf Lander

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
I hope Hedin plays well if he gets a chance to play with the big club during the call up!!!

Old
12-18-2003, 07:47 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
Pierre Hedin hasn't had an opportunity to play at this level.

He was at the same camp that Jackman was and didn't play as well which is why he was sent to the AHL, he had the same opportunity that Jackman did to make the Leafs at the start of the season and basically blew it...
He actually played as well as Jackman in less time over in Europe... Hedin had yet to play WITH a group of North American players... he had to adjust to the language barrier which was a bigger factor then you'd think considering of all the Swedish players in the system, he knows the least amount of english.

He's a better skater then Jackman and has that vision that Jacko doesn't posess... plus he's quite a steady defensive player compared to your typical European offensive defenseman.

Pierre played average when they returned to North America because it was his first time playing on the smaller ice surface.

He was a final cut and I'm sure Quinn gave Ric the benefit of the doubt because he'd be a safer bet to start the season because of his previous 40 or so NHL games played with the Maple Leafs.

In all honesty, if you even watched the exhibition games, Hedin was not given the same opportunity as Jackman... Ric played the most of all the defensemen in camp.

Old
12-18-2003, 09:03 PM
Gramsci

I don't buy the argument that playing Hedin over Jackman will cause problems -- it's likely the reverse.

Do you not think that the players on this team cannot see for themselves what virtually every last observer of this team has seen -- Jackman is a horrible defenseman.

I'm sure they all like Anders Eriksson -- truly a nice guy. But I'm also quite sure that they were glad to see him out of the lineup.

Same goes for Lumme -- great guy, shoulda retired a year earlier.

One of the key reasons the Leafs are playing well is because they haven't had any liabilities in the lineup (don't hold your breath on Belak, of course). Jackman was clearly a liability. He could not be trusted in his own end and every one of his teammates probably knows this. It is absolutely no coincidence that the Leafs became a much better team without Jackman. That's not to scapegoat the guy, but he made the third pairing a complete liability -- and that has rippling effects up and down the lineup.

Jackman probably will get the nod over Hedin. I've been a Jackman supporter in the past because of the obvious talent, but the guy just doesn't have the hockey smarts or instincts to be a good defenseman in the NHL. This guy actually poses a risk to the good team game they've been playing. I worry what will happen if they have both Belak (a stupid penalty time-bomb) and Jackman (a defensive zone blunder a shift pylon) in the lineup. My guess is they'll start losing if it lasts for any length of time.

I'd like to see Hedin play. I don't have much confidence that he'll be particularly good, but they should have a look-see.

Old
12-18-2003, 10:12 PM
loveshack2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramsci
I worry what will happen if they have both Belak (a stupid penalty time-bomb) and Jackman (a defensive zone blunder a shift pylon) in the lineup. My guess is they'll start losing if it lasts for any length of time.
I agree with ya there. Knowing Quinn however, that's exactly what will happen tomorrow. I predict we'll see a defence corp consisting of....

Klee - McCabe
Jackman - Pilar
Marchment - Belak

With Klee/McCabe logging 30+ minutes a piece. Scary. Of course you never know he could surprise us and dress 7 defensemen or something. I would really like to see Hedin get a decent look especially knowing what the alternatives are.

Old
12-19-2003, 04:29 AM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
I agree with ya there. Knowing Quinn however, that's exactly what will happen tomorrow. I predict we'll see a defence corp consisting of....

Klee - McCabe
Jackman - Pilar
Marchment - Belak

With Klee/McCabe logging 30+ minutes a piece. Scary. Of course you never know he could surprise us and dress 7 defensemen or something. I would really like to see Hedin get a decent look especially knowing what the alternatives are.
I agree with the players; however, also knowing Quinn I predict that Belak will be put up front for the Montreal game and Hedin will be inserted. This is my line up:

Washington:
Pilar - McCabe
Jackman - Klee
Marchment - Belak

Montreal:
Pilar - McCabe
Jackman - Klee
Marchment - Hedin

I am looking forward to seeing Jackman with Klee, Pilar with McCabe and seeing Hedin.

Old
12-19-2003, 05:03 AM
Leaf Army

Has Hedin actually been recalled?

I don't think he has. I haven't read it anywhere other than here.

The pairings tonight likely will be;

McCabe- Jackman
Belak/Berg- Klee
Marchment- Pilar

Old
12-19-2003, 05:19 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

What I'd like to see:

McCabe - Hedin (Kaberle's replacement)
Klee - Pilar (Klee has experience with offensive minded partners - Gonchar)
Marchment - Jackman (14 minutes tops)

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
12-19-2003, 05:28 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
What I'd like to see:

McCabe - Hedin (Kaberle's replacement)
Klee - Pilar (Klee has experience with offensive minded partners - Gonchar)
Marchment - Jackman (14 minutes tops)
What I think we'll see:

McCabe-Klee
Pilar-Marchment
Jackman-Hedin

PP - Same top two with maybe Hedin and Jackman getting a sniff in place of Marchment on occassion.
PK - 1st unit: McCabe-Pilar 2nd unit: Klee-Marchment

Old
12-19-2003, 06:21 PM
sluggo*

He actually played as well as Jackman in less time over in Europe

Thats great, but the NHL isn't in Europe.

Hedin had yet to play WITH a group of North American players... he had to adjust to the language barrier which was a bigger factor then you'd think considering of all the Swedish players in the system, he knows the least amount of english

Kondratiev knows almost no English, but he played well enough to make the Toronto team. He had a chance to make the Toronto team and both Jackman and Kondratiev (who faced ALL the same challangeds Hedin did) played better then he did, he blew that chance, nothing else to it. I'd like to see him get a second chance, but Jackman deserves one just as much as Hedin does.

He was a final cut and I'm sure Quinn gave Ric the benefit of the doubt because he'd be a safer bet to start the season because of his previous 40 or so NHL games played with the Maple Leafs.

Jackman made the Leafs roster because he was the better player, plan and simple, and at the time he was. Now that might have chances, but then he was.

In all honesty, if you even watched the exhibition games, Hedin was not given the same opportunity as Jackman... Ric played the most of all the defensemen in camp

Because he impressed whenever he was out there and earned more playing time, Hedin didn't.

Old
12-19-2003, 07:38 PM
leafaholix*

Ok.

Kaberle is nothing but a #5 defenseman.
Hedin "blew it" in the 4 games he played.

Whatever.

Old
12-19-2003, 07:41 PM
sluggo*

Hedin "blew it" in the 4 games he played.

He had those 4 games to show he was a better defenseman then Jackman and Kondratiev, and he didn't play well enough in those 4 games to do that. He blew his chance. I want to see him get another one

Old
12-20-2003, 01:44 AM
wasting time

Quinn pulled a fast one on all of us:

Mcabe/Belak (Wow that was awful - McCabe played well considering he had a 220lb hockey bag tied to his ankle)
Pilar/Klee (Pilar stunk, Klee had his worst game as a Leaf)
Jackman/Marchment (these guys by far were the best tandem out there, Huh?)

I predicted that Hedin will play against Montreal. But do we even know for sure whether he was called up?

Berg may play which will throw Pilar up with McCabe I guess.

Belak should never, never again play defense. I can live with him as a forward.

Closed Thread