HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 3/11) *Part II*

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 01:58 AM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

vCash: 500
Did not see this posted anywhere.
Sather is thinking of bringing Zucco, Fast and Lindberg this year.
From Larry Brooks
Quote:
General manager Glen Sather told The Post he intends to talk to Mats Zuccarello about returning from Russia to New York once the 25-year-old winger’s season ends with Mettalurg Magnitogorsk of the KHL.
Quote:
Sather also said the Rangers would take a look at bringing over Oscar Lindberg and Jesper Fasth, a pair of 21-year-forwards, once their Swedish Elite League seasons end with Skelleftea and HV71, respectively.

The SEL regular season concludes on Tuesday, and the playoffs will end in the third or fourth week of April.

“I really like those two kids,” Sather said of the two forwards already under contract. “It could be interesting.’’

Old
02-27-2013, 03:30 AM
SoftEuro4thLiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
Did not see this posted anywhere.
Sather is thinking of bringing Zucco, Fast and Lindberg this year.
From Larry Brooks
Right now, I'm in favor of bringing over MZA. Can't be any worse, right? Also, there's a 50/50 chance MAgnitka gets kicked out of the POs by Salavat - Salavat has been the better team, Magnitka lost a step or two when they lost Malkin and Gonchar.

Not a fan of bringing in Fasth and Lindberg, though I'm pretty high on both prospects. I think both need a full training camp and some strength-

Old
02-27-2013, 03:44 AM
17futurecap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftEuro4thLiner View Post
Right now, I'm in favor of bringing over MZA. Can't be any worse, right? Also, there's a 50/50 chance MAgnitka gets kicked out of the POs by Salavat - Salavat has been the better team, Magnitka lost a step or two when they lost Malkin and Gonchar.

Not a fan of bringing in Fasth and Lindberg, though I'm pretty high on both prospects. I think both need a full training camp and some strength-
Just looked at the box score, must have been quite the game 4 with Salavat up 2-0 after two periods, and Metallurg scoring three in the 3rd to win with two goals coming in the last three and a half minutes. Zuke with the winner with four seconds left, must be a great feeling.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:09 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I dont like rushing prospects, didn't like it with Kreider, didn't like it with Miller, didn't like it with Thomas. But I do like it with Fasth. He is probably NHL-ready. The guy is at least as good offensively as two of his teammates who had a point per game in the AHL, and better defensively. He might need time to adjust to the small rink, but he may just be ready I immediately.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:18 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
So excited about Fasth. Now that it's not a reach that we miss the playoffs, will there be time for him to play in the regular season? Whenever I think of him I think about where Datsyuk and Zetterberg were draft (granted the circumstances seem to be different and Fasth will likely never be that good).
What is interesting and a bit amazing is that both these Swedish players (Zettereberg & Fasth - although Datsyuk was also picked by HA) were chosen by 2 guys from the same suburb (Tumba) outside Stockholm in Sweden. I know both these scouts very well (Andersson & Rockström) since 35 years. There is an interesting story here. Funny guys...
Someday I might tell you guys about the 1989 NHL Entry Draft when my father - who was then working with the Washington Capitals organization - and how they totally went against his recommendations on picking a certain Swede and a Russian and how they then conveniently dropped to a young guy in his first year as an NHL scout - then a rookie in the business.
Talk about a Decca Records/Beatles moment, whenever the name David Poile is mentioned around my father, the old mans eyes still go black and smoke with flames of fury...

Old
02-27-2013, 07:06 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

This is not the first time Sather has mentioned Lindberg and Fasth playing this season. Zuccarello will want a one way deal for good money which he should demand considering he is making good money in the KHL. Sather isn't giving him that type of contract.

January 13

Quote:
Mats Zuccarello, playing for Metallurg Magnitogorsk of the KHL, remains on the Rangers’ reserve list and would be eligible to play for the Blueshirts this season — without clearing waivers — if he were to sign with the club following the end of his season in Europe. That represents a change in the CBA.

Similarly, management will keep a keen eye on a pair of 21-year-old forwards skating in the Swedish league — Jesper Fast of HV 71, and Oscar Lindberg of Skelleftea — for possible late-season NHL duty.

“I don’t know if it’s a good rule or not,” Sather said. “But we’ll sure take advantage of it if it makes us better.”
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...zolcrocd4crFWN

Lindberg and Fasth were loaned to their teams in Sweden. The first season of their ELCs have counted already. The Sens used Silfverberg in the playoffs last season. The Hawks used Marcus Kruger in 10-11 after he played in Sweden that season. Anyone who can skate,handle the puck and make a play is an improvement over Brian Boyle.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:48 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
I didn't think it would happen, as I thought we'd be competing for a conference title. As it appears that won't be the case, I see no reason not to give Lindberg and Fasth a look. Couldn't hurt.

Zuccarello is whatever. I don't think he's a difference maker. Again though, what's the harm?

Old
02-27-2013, 08:26 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Fasth and Lindberg are playing professional hockey. Not CHL or NCAA. And one could make the argument that the SEL is a higher-end league than the AHL.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:41 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Fasth and Lindberg are playing professional hockey. Not CHL or NCAA. And one could make the argument that the SEL is a higher-end league than the AHL.
ELC's have already counted... best case scenario they make the Rangers - otherwise they can spend some time in Hartford (head start) adjusting to the players and the ice size - not unlike a junior player coming over for a short period in the AHL.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:47 AM
NYR Viper

I would sign MZA in a heartbeat. Give him a 1-way deal on a 1 year contract. The team lacks creativity and skill and we already know he is a wizard on the PP.

Fasth and Lindberg should be brought over and play in the AHL asap. Get them playing in a NA rink.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:53 AM
BBKers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I didn't think it would happen, as I thought we'd be competing for a conference title. As it appears that won't be the case, I see no reason not to give Lindberg and Fasth a look. Couldn't hurt.

Zuccarello is whatever. I don't think he's a difference maker. Again though, what's the harm?
The harm is he might take PP minutes from Beaver Richards
Torts would not like that

Old
02-27-2013, 09:56 AM
SnowblindNYR

I watched some Fasth goals yesterday. Would I be correct in saying that most of his goals come from around the net?

Old
02-27-2013, 10:04 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I watched some Fasth goals yesterday. Would I be correct in saying that most of his goals come from around the net?
Yes. He has his fair share of dirty-area goals. Very good in that area of the ice.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:32 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Yes. He has his fair share of dirty-area goals. Very good in that area of the ice.
Couple that with what HFers called a "soft shot", is it a concern that his game will be too one dimensional? Like would you trust him to snipe it if he had to or is he more a garbage man?

Old
02-27-2013, 10:46 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Couple that with what HFers called a "soft shot", is it a concern that his game will be too one dimensional? Like would you trust him to snipe it if he had to or is he more a garbage man?
He has a decent shot. It needs work on the velocity but I thought the same thing about Hagelin as well.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:55 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
He has a decent shot. It needs work on the velocity but I thought the same thing about Hagelin as well.
Well Hags rarely scores on his shot. Though I missed it in the Habs game, looked like he hit the post on a rocket.

Is his accuracy good though (I thought I read it wasn't)? I mean, you don't need a rocket to score. I don't think Datsyuk has a really strong shot, but it's pretty accurate.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:59 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

This team has so little depth that it can definitely use MZA now. It's also an opportunity for MZA to prove himself without having to spend a full year in the NHL. If he has a good playoff run, he'll go a long way in proving his NHL worthiness.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:43 PM
Ola

Quote:
It's good that he works on his shot, like so many Swede's it's not great. Not like say Thomas shot.

But his shot is definitely not weak. He got a good fast wrister and a solid one-timer. Compared to the avg Swede he is a sniper, but he could certainly improve.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:45 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
This team has so little depth that it can definitely use MZA now. It's also an opportunity for MZA to prove himself without having to spend a full year in the NHL. If he has a good playoff run, he'll go a long way in proving his NHL worthiness.
I've rolled my eyes at all of the MZA attention around here... BUT this team does lack depth and a little creative flair. 1 year - 1 way deal shouldn't hurt anyone at this point. Who knows --- maybe he'll even get a shot to play with a guy like Nash who would really create a ton of room for him to work.

If it doesn't work out, then oh well, he's off the cap for next year. Low risk, mediocre award.

Old
02-27-2013, 05:08 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Would love to see MZA back.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:53 PM
The Sweetness

Bringing in Nash improves MZA's chances of succeeding here imo.

Given our lack of size up the middle it really helps our balance with Zuccarello in the lineup if we have someone with Nash's size and skill on the wing who can win the puck along the boards and help control play to give MZA some more space to create and get the puck back to Nash who obviously has the skill to be able to finish.

It's not a given he'd play with Nash, but I think that would probably be the best fit given the lack of size and ability on the boards our skill guys have minus Nash.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:11 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
It's good that he works on his shot, like so many Swede's it's not great. Not like say Thomas shot.

But his shot is definitely not weak. He got a good fast wrister and a solid one-timer. Compared to the avg Swede he is a sniper, but he could certainly improve.
Interesting, I thought you were one of the people giving him grief about his shot. Good to read this. Why is it that so many Swedes have problems with their shot? Is passing for example more emphasized in Swedish Junior leagues? What do you think he projects to be? Ceiling and most likely?

Old
02-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

He's leading his team in goalscoring, tied for 4th in the whole SEL and only 2 goals away from being #2. How bad could his shot be?

Old
02-27-2013, 08:33 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
He's leading his team in goalscoring, tied for 4th in the whole SEL and only 2 goals away from being #2. How bad could his shot be?
Well this is the SEL is an inferior league. Maybe he can beat weaker goalies with weaker shots or he can succeed only on goals around the net.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:45 AM
BBKers

Quote:
Well this is the SEL is an inferior league. Maybe he can beat weaker goalies with weaker shots or he can succeed only on goals around the net.
The SEL used to be a very good league
About 5 years ago it started dropping off quite a bit though
KHL & other European leagues are snatching up lots of talent nowadays
You are totally right in your statement - but I think you got lucky here because you are generalizing on something you did not really know about ...

Closed Thread