HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan O'Reilly Headed to Offer Sheet or Trade (Part 4)

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 08:59 AM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
you're looking at it the wrong way. They have an asset to move, he's a #1 center waiting to happen and he's NOT asking for $7 million, that he only wants $4 or $5 million makes him a steal!
How many Selke caliber 55pt, just scratching the surface #1 centers are out there??
Good luck finding one making less than $7 million.

Since he's asking for less $$$ than he can command as a 27 year old UFA you should give up more and thank your lucky stars you were able to rob the AVS blind.

I believe in fact with O'Reilly you can double shift him on the 1st line (for offence) and then send him back out on the 3rd line as part of an elite shutdown unit. So since he does the job of 2 guys you can carry one less guy on your roster saving you - how much does a selke winning center make? $4-6 million?

Lets say $5 million. you are paying O'Reilly lets say $4.5 million (he gave you a deal because he appreciated that you appreciated him by trading all of your draft picks in 2013 along with your top prospect and a roster player.)
you actually come out $500k ahead.

So basically the AVS will pay YOU to take one of the best 2 way centers in the game (with a lot of untapped potential) off their hands.

Love it D

You sell cars, don't you??

Old
02-27-2013, 09:07 AM
topshelf15

vCash: 500
Quote:
you're looking at it the wrong way. They have an asset to move, he's a #1 center waiting to happen and he's NOT asking for $7 million, that he only wants $4 or $5 million makes him a steal!
How many Selke caliber 55pt, just scratching the surface #1 centers are out there??

Since he's asking for less $$$ than he can command as a 27 year old UFA you should give up more and thank your lucky stars you were able to rob the AVS blind.

I believe in fact with O'Reilly you can double shift him on the 1st line (for offence) and then send him back out on the 3rd line as part of an elite shutdown unit. So since he does the job of 2 guys you can carry one less guy on your roster saving you - how much does a selke winning center make? $4-6 million?

Lets say $5 million. you are paying O'Reilly lets say $4.5 million (he gave you a deal because he appreciated that you appreciated him by trading all of your draft picks in 2013 along with your top prospect and a roster player.)

So basically the AVS will pay YOU to take one of the best 2 way centers in the game (with a lot of untapped potential) off their hands.
Yep they choose to pay PA Parenteau ,over this guy .But if you ask for him in a trade he is worth a franchise player type return

Old
02-27-2013, 09:11 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
And what would the point of scouting an Avs game be when the player in question is holding out?
Package deal.

The scouts are there for a reason. Why would Eastern Conference scouts be at consecutive games in California? They are obviously looking at potential trade targets on the Avs.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:12 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf15 View Post
Yep they choose to pay PA Parenteau ,over this guy .But if you ask for him in a trade he is worth a franchise player type return
There's a huge difference between UFA and RFA.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:12 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
UFA vs RFA.

I'm beginning to wonder if a lot of posters are either purposefully or accidentally not reading the previous posts on the idea that the Avs don't want to pay him what he wants, but wants a good return in a trade.

He's an RFA coming off of his ELC, in each of his 3 seasons he's shown continual improvement in all facets of his game, and of course he had a breakout year offensively last year. But again, we just had an unnecessary lockout that was largely because of money. The Avalanche don't want to be looked at as "inflating" RFA salaries coming off of ELC's. Whether I think it's fair or not (for the record I don't) but Matt Duchene's deal is playing into this.

The Avalanche have more or less said that they will not pay Ryan O'Reilly more than Matt Duchene at this time. Ryan O'Reilly doesn't want to go back to just being a 3rd Line Defensive forward, he can play a nice offensive game, he's got good instincts and just a great all around Hockey IQ.

But at the end of the day, you can't compare the Avs paying PA Parenteau 4m a year and the Avs' stance with ROR...again, UFA vs. RFA

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
Old
02-27-2013, 09:16 AM
topshelf15

There is also a huge differense between a core center you build around, and second line winger.Iam starting to think Col ,s management doesnt see ROR as that gotta keep center,but they expect others to pay in trade like he is

Old
02-27-2013, 09:18 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Quote:
There is also a huge differense between a core center you build around, and second line winger.Iam starting to think Col ,s management doesnt see ROR as that gotta keep center,but they expect others to pay in trade like he is
When the Avs signed Parenteau, they probably didn't anticipate O'Reilly being so hard to negotiate with. They've offered him fair contracts, he just wants more. That doesn't mean they value him any less than they previously did. The Avs, like a lot of teams, aren't willing to break the bank on a long term deal for a young player when a reasonable bridge deal makes more sense. The Habs did it with Subban, but O'Reilly has proven to make this more difficult.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:26 AM
topshelf15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
When the Avs signed Parenteau, they probably didn't anticipate O'Reilly being so hard to negotiate with. They've offered him fair contracts, he just wants more. That doesn't mean they value him any less than they previously did. The Avs, like a lot of teams, aren't willing to break the bank on a long term deal for a young player when a reasonable bridge deal makes more sense. The Habs did it with Subban, but O'Reilly has proven to make this more difficult.
Iam sure if the AV,s offered the same deal subban recieved he would be playing .Look i like the AV,s but it really seems they are really playing the cheap card a bit much.If ROR is a core piece the avs should sign him .The fans that support the team deserve their best players playing

Old
02-27-2013, 09:31 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Quote:
Iam sure if the AV,s offered the same deal subban recieved he would be playing .Look i like the AV,s but it really seems they are really playing the cheap card a bit much.If ROR is a core piece the avs should sign him .The fans that support the team deserve their best players playing
They've offered him a better deal than Subban got. 2 years, 7M total.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:40 AM
Petes2424

Quote:

While we can agree with most of what you said, and Im sure that's the Avs stance too. It still is based on "he's a #1 center waiting to happen" and that's where other teams will stand their ground.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:48 AM
Chau Vo
Hockey's Future Staff

A lot of people think RoR peaked at 22 this is hilarious.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Wondercarrot
Classless

i finally watched some you tube videos of him last night and i have to say - i thought he'd be a lot faster, when in fact he appears errr... slowish.
was that my imagination and a small screen or is that not really one of his better attributes?

Old
02-27-2013, 09:59 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Quote:
i finally watched some you tube videos of him last night and i have to say - i thought he'd be a lot faster, when in fact he appears errr... slowish.
was that my imagination and a small screen or is that not really one of his better attributes?
His skating improved a lot last year but yes, that's probably one of his weaker areas.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:03 AM
ScottyDont

vCash: 900
Apparently there was a rumor a while back about Dan Boyle for O'Reilly? Did this get shot down? Did anyone here think the value was there?

Old
02-27-2013, 10:04 AM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
I'm not sure I'd say he's slow. I tend to think he's a fairly powerful skater, albeit not particularly agile. Whatever he lacks in pure skating ability he makes up for in relentless puck pursuit, excellent positioning, and quick decisions. That is to say he's very efficient.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:06 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDont View Post
Apparently there was a rumor a while back about Dan Boyle for O'Reilly? Did this get shot down? Did anyone here think the value was there?
Why would Colorado want a 36 year old defenseman? They are trying to rebuild.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:11 AM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

I still think that Zibanejad + Wierchioch for O'Reilly is a deal that benefits everyone involved. Doubt it ever comes to fruition though.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:12 AM
caribouPINE

Quote:
That probably makes the least amount of sense of any of the rumoured deals out there.

Why would Colorado be interested at a 36 year old dman considering their entire core nucleus is young and are rebuilding?

Old
02-27-2013, 10:19 AM
hockeyfish

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I still think that Zibanejad + Wierchioch for O'Reilly is a deal that benefits everyone involved. Doubt it ever comes to fruition though.
With Ottawa winning, they have no real need to make a move right now.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:25 AM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
With Ottawa winning, they have no real need to make a move right now.
They're scoring less than 2 goals a game, and the only reason they are winning is because of goaltenders that are incredibly hot. It's not sustainable -- being realistic I like our chances at making the playoffs a lot better if we have O'Reilly on the team than if we don't.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:42 PM
hockeyviking

Quote:
yes but they were wrong

Old
02-27-2013, 02:13 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
Why would Colorado want a 36 year old defenseman? They are trying to rebuild.
To finally honor him for his OT goal a few years back.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:15 PM
HiddenInLight

Just out of curiosity, would Colorado consider a deal surrounding ROR for Grigorenko+ ?

Old
02-27-2013, 03:37 PM
CanucksSayEh

What would it take for the Canucks to pry him outta Col?

Old
02-27-2013, 04:07 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Just out of curiosity, would Colorado consider a deal surrounding ROR for Grigorenko+ ?
Me yes. But the + would have to be significant.

Grigs + 1st or Sekera would be tempting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksSayEh View Post
What would it take for the Canucks to pry him outta Col?
As of right now, with the Canukcs being in our division, it would take a lot. If you guys move out of our division/conference then maybe, but I still doubt you would be interested in what it would take.

I would want Edler.

Closed Thread