HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Troy Brouwer rips Semin and Boudreau

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 07:58 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
who won the game? it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see that brouwer was defending his team against the forces of, "they should have kept semin and boudreau". it was a big game for the caps and they won. if that was the goal, it was successful.

for the canes fans...i bet most of those of you that hate the caps hated semin and believed every thing lemmings like tripp tracy and hyperbole kings like pierre mcguire used to say about semin. right? you do remember the brutal stuff tracy and even forslund would pile on semin in each and every canes v caps broadcast...right?

are you ready to lock him in at 7 years and $49m? hmm?

Old
02-27-2013, 07:58 AM
Fuelled by Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
brouwer played a heart and soul role for the chicago blackhawks when they won the stanley cup. he skated first line/scoring line minute and skated 3rd line grinder minutes.

he was acquired for his stanley cup experience/leadership. after one season he was voted the team's nhlpa rep. he was then assigned an alternate captain role.

with that with ovechkin and backstrom struggling to learn a new coach and system brouwer has scored 8 goals. 8 goals is tied for 19th in the league and one goal fewer than crosby, eric staal and marian hossa and the same number as ovechkin(tied for team lead).

i am not a big fan of his comments, but i would also suggest the real question might be, "how come you have to ask who troy brouwer is?" is more germaine.
I remember Toews and Kane, Hossa and Niemi, Keith and Seabrook, I remember Big Buff all over Luongo and even hard-working Ladd, but sorry I don't recall the guy you're talking about. And as for a guy to be acquired for his stanley cup xp/leadership... or well his stats suggest that he has 0.25 PPG in PO as I can assure you most of Russian players would get the lazy/no heart tag for this kind of production. Actually Russian players get this kind of treatment even if they sit on almost 0.5 PPG in PO. Clearly his resume doesn't allow him to talk about another player the way he talks If he wanted to know which player will show up to the game he could just open Semin stats
487 games 201 goals 221 assists +74 0.87 PPG in regular season
51 games 15 goals 19 assists -1 0.67 PPG in PO
Should I say more?

So yeah who is Troy Brouwer again? A hockey troll?

Old
02-27-2013, 08:10 AM
masterson*

I love it when role players talk about stars

Old
02-27-2013, 08:15 AM
g00n
abides

All we heard prior to this game was how Semin was making the entire Canes team SO much better, and the stats didn't matter.

Something like: "Have you seen him play???!! You wouldn't bash him if you saw how he was making everyone around him so much better! He's the reason they're in first place! You obviously know NOTHING about hockey!!!"

And now Brouwer and JR say the same things other players and many Caps fans have said, while Semin comes out and puts up a few shots with his usual moves, and does not deliver in a big game. Exactly as many Caps fans said would eventually happen. But what do the Semin fans do, instead of admitting Semin didn't lift his team to great heights in a big game, as they claimed he was doing? They go nuts with excuses and BLAME THE TEAM!

To hear it, Semin's plays were all pure skill and he was AWESOME, and anything bad totally wasn't his fault (...damn that other goalie for making a save, or Semin's goalie for not making a save, or his linemates for not playing better defense...etc...), while anything Brouwer did was some lucky grinder garbage. And yet EVERYONE ELSE is biased, and just out to get Semin!! Classic!

Where have we seen this script before?? Oh yeah, the hundreds of games Semin played as a Cap, and the thousands of IDENTICAL rationalizations we've seen from his staunch defenders since DAY ONE. It was always everyone else's fault, and there were always a million mitigating factors to explain everything away...UNLESS we're looking at a favorable stat for Semin, in which case the "numbers don't lie". In other words, you can extrapolate how many goals he was on pace for if it looks good, but you can't extrapolate anything that's bad for him, like PIMs, shooting percentage, or performance in 2nd round playoff games!

Just once, be balanced and reasonable. Admit, as I will, that Semin played a decent game--not a spectacular one and not one of his worst-- and came up short. Again. And that with more than half the season left and just 4 points separating the teams, the talk about Brouwer's comments being unfounded due to standings (or talent) is misguided and mostly retaliatory diversion by some fans who got their feelings hurt and went into attack mode when their hero was put on the spot. Again.

Last edited by g00n: 02-27-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old
02-27-2013, 08:16 AM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterson View Post
Who is the star again? I thought this thread was about Brouwer bad mouthing Semin? Or do you consider BB a star?

Old
02-27-2013, 08:17 AM
BobDobolina

vCash: 504
Quote:
I'd love to see a skilled player rip on some poor grinder. That would be awesome.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:27 AM
OVs Gold Chain

Quote:
Especially when they back it up with double the goals, love that even more

Old
02-27-2013, 08:28 AM
WetHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCanes2013 View Post
Do you have examples/evidence of this "long history of behavior" you cite? Or just some random Facebook opinions, or Tweets? Were you in the locker room with him during this long history? Do we have specific statements where a current player referenced specific actions by Semin that constitute a "long history of behavior"? Curious minds want to know.
Us Caps fans have 469 games of Semin in a Caps uniform as proof of this long history of behavior. A long history of the guy playing like the best player in the NHL for a handful of games, then disappearing for 10 game stretches at times.

Another example is what a Canes fan said in this thread recently. That Semin was the first to the ring and spoke, in english, to the Canes TV crew. Now I have been a Caps fan for longer than Semin was on the Caps and I cannot remember once hearing him speak in English. Not saying it hasn't happened, but if I did hear it it lasted 2-3 sentences and I have since forgotten. And never mind him speaking during intermission.

Maybe if Semin were a little more engaging and accessible with Caps fans he wouldn't have gotten booed last night. But that was Semin while in DC. An enigma wrapped in a riddle. Never said ****, never let any fans get to know him, and that led to us fans judging him by his play on the ice. Which at times was all world, but mostly he disappeared without a trace.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:35 AM
WetHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
i'm sure yesterday's game will be the caps' fans version of the stanley cup this year
Nope, us Caps fans live in reality. Yesterday's game was simply a regular season game between teams in the same division. A game where one team is at the bottom of the standing and the other is at the top. A game where one team appears to be finally getting used to its new HC"s way of doing things and the other teams lack of quality depth was exposed.

A game where one set of fans on this board (Canes) were running their mouth prior to the game about how the Caps were so low in the standings, but now after their team got their ass kicked Canes injuries made a win impossible from the start.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:42 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
A game where one set of fans on this board (Canes) were running their mouth prior to the game
Now it's the Hurricanes fanbase who started this thing by running their mouths?

Old
02-27-2013, 08:49 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

So wait a minute, yesterday's game was "a big game where Semin failed to show up", according to many of his detractors, and what made it a "big game" was...HFBoards posters?

All righty then.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:51 AM
GoCanes2013

Quote:
Us Caps fans have 469 games of Semin in a Caps uniform as proof of this long history of behavior. A long history of the guy playing like the best player in the NHL for a handful of games, then disappearing for 10 game stretches at times.

Another example is what a Canes fan said in this thread recently. That Semin was the first to the ring and spoke, in english, to the Canes TV crew. Now I have been a Caps fan for longer than Semin was on the Caps and I cannot remember once hearing him speak in English. Not saying it hasn't happened, but if I did hear it it lasted 2-3 sentences and I have since forgotten. And never mind him speaking during intermission.

Maybe if Semin were a little more engaging and accessible with Caps fans he wouldn't have gotten booed last night. But that was Semin while in DC. An enigma wrapped in a riddle. Never said ****, never let any fans get to know him, and that led to us fans judging him by his play on the ice. Which at times was all world, but mostly he disappeared without a trace.
So basically, that would be a "No." answer to my question about evidence? Instead of just fans feeling like a player isn't 'engaging' enough?

Old
02-27-2013, 09:00 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
By the way, Troy Brouwer disappears in the playoffs. Like, .43ppg to .24. Almost a 50% drop from an offense-first player.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Fuelled by Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrv52 View Post
I would agree 100%, if it were true.

Semin has a long history of behavior that makes this very hard to get behind. If it were true, and Carolina were aware of it, why did he only get a one year deal? Why did another team not step up and give him a LTD?
Long history? Maybe a long media-created history. Don't you find it suspicious that every second Russian player has attitude issues according to media and fans? Half of them are lazy other half is greedy and heartless. The media created "Russian factor" is a joke and shame . The way NA media treats Russian players is the worst example of double standards in modern professional sport IMO. So you telling me it is only Yakupov's, Ovi's, Russian players celebrations of goals deserve to be criticized? So you telling me it is only Russian players under-perform? Well if the answer is "no" how come NA media aren't all over other players when they do something wrong.

The most recent double standard case I recall was last PO. I was on Nashville fan-wagon (since Jets didn't make PO). I'm talking about Radulov/Kostitsyn story. So much noise in media, players got benched and etc. But there is still no prove they have done something as bad as was suggested in first. Like I said we live in 21-st century and should they party all night we would see pictures or video in i-net, but nothing was provided. On ice tho Kostitsyn was one of the better players (if not the best) leading the team in goals, +/- and tka-gva ratio among forwards and second in hits. All this playing on second PP and 3-rd line centered by Spaling. When Suter and Weber clearly under-performed imho. Suter was obviously thinking about where he is going to sign and Weber what is he going to do after Suter's gone. Do I believe Poile in this case? Absolutely not, he saw his team outplayed by Phoenix and found some scape-goats and as usual Russian players are the easiest targets.
The media spoke about it for over a month and created a Russian factor based on case that didn't even have enough evidence

Old
02-27-2013, 09:16 AM
Koized

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
That photo says a lot.

Semin hasn't run from any of this. He showed up last night and was the best skater on the ice. Did it show on the stat sheet... no... but he answered the bell. And he didn't do it by running around face-washing in scrums and acting like an idiot, the way 75% of the NHL would have. He just went out there and created scoring chances to give his team a chance to win during their roughest stretch of the season.

And during both intermissions on the Canes feed, he gave an interview. In English.

I have yet to hear a Canes fan express the slightest regret about signing him. He's happy here and we're happy to have him. If people feel the need to continue to boo him and go to the media with trash talk and slag him on Internet message boards, that says a whole lot more about those people than it does about Semin.
Backstrom and Rebeiro were much better than Semin last night, get real.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:38 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Stephen Whyno @SWhyno 12h
Holtby on Semin: "If he decides to play, he could be the best player in the world."

This has been the contention of a number of his former teammates (Bradley, Steckel, Brouwer and now even Holtby). I think the best thing for Semin was for him to leave the Caps and Ovie. Having other Russians (primarily Ovechkin) on the team kind of sheltered Semin and perhaps served as enabling him. Taking him out of that comfortable environment, should make him stronger, hey he has no where to retreat to or behind someone now. It also was probably a blow to his ego that the Caps were not that interested in resigning him.

No one has ever questioned his talent, his desire has been the issue.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:39 AM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

vCash: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
who won the game? it doesnt take a rocket scientist to see that brouwer was defending his team against the forces of, "they should have kept semin and boudreau". it was a big game for the caps and they won. if that was the goal, it was successful.

for the canes fans...i bet most of those of you that hate the caps hated semin and believed every thing lemmings like tripp tracy and hyperbole kings like pierre mcguire used to say about semin. right? you do remember the brutal stuff tracy and even forslund would pile on semin in each and every canes v caps broadcast...right?

are you ready to lock him in at 7 years and $49m? hmm?
Nope. I was a huge fan of Semin before he signed with the Canes. Go to my profile and look at the threads I've started in the past. You'll see a thread I started on this board defending Semin before he signed with the Canes.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:39 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Just backing up WetHog, I have missed a handful of Caps games since 1990, and caught whatever I could in person or on TV since 1978. I never once saw an interview with Alex Semin. Ever.

I love his mad skills; arguably one of the most gifted players in the NHL. But the lack of consistency and the selfish penalties were not worth what he was asking in salary.

Glad the Canes fans are happy with him. It is a win all around.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:54 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Stephen Whyno @SWhyno 12h
Holtby on Semin: "If he decides to play, he could be the best player in the world."

This has been the contention of a number of his former teammates (Bradley, Steckel, Brouwer and now even Holtby). I think the best thing for Semin was for him to leave the Caps and Ovie. Having other Russians (primarily Ovechkin) on the team kind of sheltered Semin and perhaps served as enabling him. Taking him out of that comfortable environment, should make him stronger, hey he has no where to retreat to or behind someone now. It also was probably a blow to his ego that the Caps were not that interested in resigning him.

No one has ever questioned his talent, his desire has been the issue.
Watch him go to Detroit next year for a lesser contract and then everyone will say how Detroit changed him and he is great again.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:56 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Watch him go to Detroit next year for a lesser contract and then everyone will say how Detroit changed him and he is great again.
And how quickly all the Canes fans bash him then.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:57 AM
WetHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCanes2013 View Post
So basically, that would be a "No." answer to my question about evidence? Instead of just fans feeling like a player isn't 'engaging' enough?
Nope I gave you 469 pieces of evidence. Feel free to sample them at your leizure.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:22 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Nope I gave you 469 pieces of evidence. Feel free to sample them at your leizure.
You're the one that made the claim. It's up to you to defend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post

Something like: "Have you seen him play???!! You wouldn't bash him if you saw how he was making everyone around him so much better! He's the reason they're in first place! You obviously know NOTHING about hockey!!!"

And now Brouwer and JR say the same things other players and many Caps fans have said, while Semin comes out and puts up a few shots with his usual moves, and does not deliver in a big game. Exactly as many Caps fans said would eventually happen. But what do the Semin fans do, instead of admitting Semin didn't lift his team to great heights in a big game, as they claimed he was doing? They go nuts with excuses and BLAME THE TEAM!
Hockey is a team game. Using the fact that we got shutout (despite the fact that Semin played a strong game) as a mark on Alex Semin is an argument that can be extended to every player in the League.

If you're going to use such an argument regarding the failure of an entire team to detract one player, I'll sit on my perch all day and accuse you of bias.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:39 AM
WetHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
You're the one that made the claim. It's up to you to defend it.
I made no claim, I stated fact. Semin has all the talent in the world, but over the 469 games he played for the Caps he was in God Mode a handfull of games at a time and invisible for long stretches. Watching him play 469 games is proof enough. A lot more than the 17 games he has played for the Canes.

Having said that, it appears Semin might actually get it now that he is with another team. Canes fans have said he voluntarily submitted himself to an intermission interview not once, but twice, in one game. Thats 2 more intermission interviews than he did in 469 games with the Caps. He may be allowing himself to open up to his fan base in a way he never did while with the Caps. That is huge, and something I wish he did more while playing with the Caps.

If he would of done that with the Caps then maybe he would still be with the Caps. Caps fans could of gotten to know him personally and applied pressure to Caps management to sign him long term. Instead, he was a ghost personally while with the Caps which left Caps fans like me to make judgements about him based solely on his game play. Game play that suggested he is as talented as any NHL player currently playing, but he appears to not give a **** for long stretches of seasons, and especially in the playoffs. So an opinion that he plays when he wants is formed. An opinion that does not indear a player to his fanbase.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

I have a theory on Alex Semin. He played on the same team as one of the best LW'ers of all time in Alex Ovechkin, when said player was in the prime of his career, and was the undisputed best player in the League.

And when Semin is making many of the same moves as AO, when he looks just as dominant as AO, when many of his teammates (even now, with the Holtby remark) call his talent greater than AO's (including Ovechkin himself!)... I can see what, exactly, was the expectation for Semin on the Caps.

That's not his expectation here. He's merely a great complimentary winger for our franchise player. I can say, with certainty, that he is the best winger Staal has ever had, but he isn't the focus of our offense. I don't expect him to put the team on his shoulders and drag them to wins, night in, night out. That's Staal's job.

Perhaps 'Canes fans will turn on him. But Caps fans are pointing at the Semin they saw last night as validation of their claims, while I saw the same Semin that I have seen for many games. Maybe Semin hasn't found his gear yet (4 goals, including an empty netter and a fluke bounce, will attest to that)?

Old
02-27-2013, 10:44 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post

lol.
haha...that looks like the pictures I have of my baby niece now that she's learned to roll over.

Closed Thread