HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Fixation on Latendresse

Old
07-18-2006, 12:16 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Mark my word, if Lats is good at camp and the first 10 games, Bonk is likely to be traded after lats 10th game.(Normal 10 games tryout for 19 years old)

Murray is not safe either.

Kost is in a completely different situation, we cant use him on the 4th line hes not gritty. But Lats compares favorably to anyone in terms of grit, hes a power forward. Remember when you saw Komi hit against the bruins in the playoffs? Lats does that, but in front.

Theres a spot for both on the 23 players lineup imo.
I completely agree with you. Latendresse has intengibles Kosty has not and thoses would made Gui useful on a fourth line. But, the sad thing is, Bonk won't be easy to trade.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 12:19 PM
SOLR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netro View Post
Bonk is untradeable with his albatross contract, especially 10 games into the season.

At this point, Latendresse or any other prospect will need to earn their way onto the club. Murray is ahead on the depth chart and someone will have to beat him out.
Trade bonk for a 7th pick and he'll go. A 7th pick value is better than loosing to UFA at the end of the year anyway. Or just waive him. Hamilton for bonk!

As for calling players from the CHL, I dont know the exact restriction, what I do know is: I dont remember the last time it happened!

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 12:23 PM
Netro

Quote:
Trade bonk for a 7th pick and he'll go. A 7th pick value is better than loosing to UFA at the end of the year anyway. Or just waive him. Hamilton for bonk!

As for calling players from the CHL, I dont know the exact restriction, what I do know is: I dont remember the last time it happened!
SOLR - No team will want to take on his contract. Has nothing to do with his skills, has everything to do with his $2.4 million price tag. I don't think you can get even a 7th rounder for him.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 12:24 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Bonk is untradeable with his albatross contract, especially 10 games into the season.

At this point, Latendresse or any other prospect will need to earn their way onto the club. Murray is ahead on the depth chart and someone will have to beat him out.
Murray got to win his spot as much as anyone. Hes heavy on grit but lite in talent. Hes nowhere on the depth chart, hes a role player.

Old
07-18-2006, 12:26 PM
SOLR

Quote:
SOLR - No team will want to take on his contract. Has nothing to do with his skills, has everything to do with his $2.4 million price tag. I don't think you can get even a 7th rounder for him.
Well, as far as I know no one knows what real value he got. If he plays in Hamilton the 2.4m doesnt count for the cap, hes 30 years old.

Old
07-18-2006, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Murray got to win his spot as much as anyone. Hes heavy on grit but lite in talent. Hes nowhere on the depth chart, hes a role player.
I don't agree with that...while nothing is guaranteed with Murray, he earned his icetime with a solid second half last year, he hit, defended his teamates, played a checking role and contributed on the PK. If he continues the way he did, a guy like Murray on a team lacking grit like Montreal, pretty much has his spot assured

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 12:28 PM
Netro

Quote:
Perhaps true but if the season started today Murray would be your 4th line winger with Bonk and Begin.

As for Bonk, well, put it to you this way, if he was on another team, I wouldn't even take him if the other team offered him to me for free, just because of his contract.

Old
07-18-2006, 12:32 PM

I really hope they can get rid of Bonk...i'd love to see a 4th line/checking line of.

Murray-Begin-Ferland/Lapierre

Old
07-18-2006, 12:33 PM
Bryzga lol*

If only one rookie makes the team, it better be Kostistyn...he's older and has spent his time in the minors to develop, he needs to make the jump soon.

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 12:36 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL View Post
I don't agree with that...while nothing is guaranteed with Murray, he earned his icetime with a solid second half last year, he hit, defended his teamates, played a checking role and contributed on the PK. If he continues the way he did, a guy like Murray on a team lacking grit like Montreal, pretty much has his spot assured
Ur right I like Murray, but hes still a role player. I think he is on a 2 way contract too?

Quote:
Perhaps true but if the season started today Murray would be your 4th line winger with Bonk and Begin.

As for Bonk, well, put it to you this way, if he was on another team, I wouldn't even take him if the other team offered him to me for free, just because of his contract.
Well see that at the training camp, dont get me wrong it may pan out this way, but Lats sure has the tools to make himself a place there.

Old
07-18-2006, 12:41 PM
Netro

Quote:
Ur right I like Murray, but hes still a role player. I think he is on a 2 way contract too?

Well see that at the training camp, dont get me wrong it may pan out this way, but Lats sure has the tools to make himself a place there.
Yep - this will play out at camp. But I would say that Lats has to beat out Murray and Kostitsyn to make the team. May very well happen, and if so, good for him but if I was to put money on the 14th forward, my pick would be Kostitsyn, who has not only professional experience but some NHL experience, in addition to his offensive skill set.

Old
07-18-2006, 12:46 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I think Murray's 2 year contract probably means he's expected to be on the main team.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 12:46 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Yep - this will play out at camp. But I would say that Lats has to beat out Murray and Kostitsyn to make the team. May very well happen, and if so, good for him but if I was to put money on the 14th forward, my pick would be Kostitsyn, who has not only professional experience but some NHL experience, in addition to his offensive skill set.
They have said it many time, the bests will play even if theres 1 spot totally open, doesnt mean they cant open another one for a superior player.

Old
07-18-2006, 12:47 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I think Murray's 2 year contract probably means he's expected to be on the main team.
But is it 2 way?

Old
07-18-2006, 12:52 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
But is it 2 way?
No I don't believe so. Murray has taken over Sundstrom's spot.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 01:06 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v View Post
is there a fixation on Latendresse here ?

the only fixation i see on this board , is the one of the haters of Ribeiro .
Latendresse has great potential, much greater than Ribeiro's. He has a strong physique, he hits, and he knows how to score. Unfortunately, some fans expect him to be a regular and a star at the age of 20. He may not make the team this season, but I expect him to be a regular once he improves his skating and learns what it takes to play at the NHL level.

As for Ribeiro, he's 26 and he still isn't a fast skater and he still hasn't put on enough muscle. I think he's at or close to his peak, which isn't great. He'll play for the Habs this season and perhaps next but I don't expect him to last longer than that.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 01:16 PM
Marchy79

Does Gui not turn 20 like, 10 games in to the season????
If he does, give him a 10 day try out (If I do remember correctly, the team roster is allowed to be a BIT bigger out of the gates... I could've dreamt that **** though

If he does, Gui should play out his 10 days, and we sign him and send him to the minors... Someone was mentioning that in an earlier thread... it made a lot of sense to me.

The Canadiens are slow, because they try to maximize potential by a huge amlunt of minutes/game situations.
Hamilton is not a poor level of play... A guy like Gui would learn more playing 15-20 minutes a game there with his future linemates that arent ready for the jump, and be prepared to make an impact for 07-08 or late in the season...

It is my belief that Kostitsyn will be the one to break loose this year. In interviews here and there, he said himself he was disappointed in his not making the team last year... I think he comes in to camp and starts his elevation.
However we do now have so many forwards, and not enough d... I am hoping for a small deal to go down... one that opens a decent roster spot on the club.

Heading in to training camp... I see the break down of favourites going as such:

Guys on the club:
Forwards (13)
11 Saku Koivu (1st Line Center)
27 Alex Kovalev (2nd Line Right Wing)
-- Sergei Samsonov (2nd Line Left Wing)
71 Mike Ribeiro (2nd Line Center)
73 Michael Ryder (1st Line Right Wing)
21 Chris Higgins (1st Line Left Wing)
14 Radek Bonk (3rd Line Center)
-- Mike Johnson (3rd Line Right Wing)
35 Tomas Plekanec (3rd Line Left Wing)
22 Steve Begin (4th Line Center)
47 Aaron Downey (4th Line Right Wing)
57 Garth Murray (4th Line Left Wing)
42 Alexander Perezhogin (Spare/ Utility Winger)

Defence (7)
79 Andrei Markov (1st Pair Left Defenceman)
52 Craig Rivet (1st Pair Right Defenceman)
44 Sheldon Souray (2nd Pair Left Defenceman)
25 Mathieu Dandenault (2nd Pair Right Defenceman)
51 Francis Bouillon (3rd Pair Left Defenceman)
8 Mike Komisarek (3rd Pairing Right Defenceman)
32 Mark Streit (Utility/Left Defenceman)

Goaltender (2)
39 Cristobal Huet
30 David Aebischer

I believe we are allowed a 23 man roster for October (I could be wrong)
The extra 3 spots I would allude to players who are close to the club, and are ready to make the jump... Last year, we saw glimpses of Jonathan Ferland, Maxim LaPierre, Andrei Kostitsyn, JP Cote, and Dan Jancevski...
Some of these guys will probably be disappointing... but if any three of those guys are marginally close to having a strong camp... We might have to keep them on the team for October in fear of losing them. Gui I hope could stay for the 10 days then get sent down... Because playing 20 minutes a game in Hamilton will develop him much more than the 5-10 minutes he'd get here... Plus it's not going to be that bad a team down there

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 01:23 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Dont listen to the naysayers. Alot of folks in avs country predicted that Svatos was the next hidden gem for us and that he could score 40-50 goals in his first year. We were ridiculed by everyone for "over hyping" the kid. No more naysayers.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 01:26 PM

Latendress doesn't turn 20 until May 2007...I think someone was asking about that

Old
07-18-2006, 01:33 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL View Post
Latendress doesn't turn 20 until May 2007...I think someone was asking about that
Ahh ****... that means he would have to stay the entire year in order to play in a higher league (no AHL)

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 01:39 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by briste View Post
I can't believe the fixation that some on this board have with Latendresse. It is true he is a very good prospect and a French Canadian (which helps the team's marketability in Quebec). In all likelihood he will be a valuable contributor over his career but so many seem to think that the team should revolve around him.

Don't hurt his confidence, he has nothing left to prove in junior, he has worked hard, he is in the best shape of his life.

Sorry guys, but I think he still has a lot to prove. His junior year was okay for someone that was supposed to lead the league in scoring, he didn't earn much ice time at the world juniors and while he is a big strong guy, there are a lot of big strong guys in the NHL. His strength won't give him the same advantage in the pros that it did in junior.

Besides, there are other guys who put up great numbers in junior hockey in addition to Gui. What about their confidence, the hard work they have put in and the numbers they have put up. Do we hand every one of them a job? Of course not. The same should apply here.

As I said, Gui will more than likely become a solid NHL player but he has to earn that spot both on the ice and in the dressing room (the intangibles that we don't know about). All of the other arguments for keeping him are nothing more than cheerleading.
I think he should get on the team if he has a camp like last year.

Others think he should be handed a job on a silver platter and I understand why. Because he DESERVED A SPOT last year and they sent him back... the kid had earned it bigtime. Just the stupid canadiens and their stupid no 18 year olds mentality and you have to be friggin 23 before u get a shot...

Lat's will/should make the team if he has a camp like last year/better than last year

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 01:59 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanye West View Post
I Because he DESERVED A SPOT last year
The fact you keep mindlessly repeating this will never make this true.
BG and Julien said last year that Latendresse was NEVER considered to make the big club. That is from the horse's mouth, so to speak, this isn't my opinion (I do agree with it though) this is what management thinks of his last camp.

Good enough to impress but not good enough to make the NHL.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 02:37 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
Ahh ****... that means he would have to stay the entire year in order to play in a higher league (no AHL)
Yes it does. Though Latendresse can join Hamilton this year after his season is over with Drummondville.

I don't know what will happen with him this year but I'm all for bringing prospects along slowly. Would be great to see next years incoming class for Hamilton. Price, Latendresse, O'Byrne (or this year), Siarhei Kostitsyn, Mikus, and Carle! Plus Korpikari and Heino have to be signed next June or we lose their rights. Plus there's always hope if we can't get Emelin this year, maybe next summer.

Personally I don't expect to see Latendresse make the Habs, but we'll see. I think he's got a lot of work to do on his mobility, first step, acceleration. But we'll see how hard he works this summer and what he does at camp. Clearly I'm a big fan of Latendresse, Kostitsyn, Grabovsky, since I have been hyping them more then the rest of our prospects. I do think Latendresse has a lot of upside but I'd like to see him work on things, plus I believe in seeing players go through the minors to put their time in and get chemistry with other young future Habs. If you look at our group of young players, Higgins, Pleks, Perezhogin, Murray, Komisarek, Ryder, all have played in Hamilton at one point with Ribs and Markov also going through the farm. Higgins, Pleks, Perezhogin, Komisarek all played on the same team. Pleks, Komi, Ryder all played on the same team.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 02:47 PM
wholeshow*

wasnt gui the best player during the preseason last season? i believe himself, bonk and marcel hossa were the best line for us...but bob decided to trade hossa for murray (good trade in the end) and send latendresse back to junior.
so for those that are saying that gui needs to 'earn' a spot to play on the team? he did just that last season, but he still didn't make the team. i hope the habs brass change their mentality, so what if he's a rookie? if he outplays a vet....he should get the job.
but quite frankly the habs have just too much young depth at the wing position. we should turn gui into a center and that will solve all of our problems!

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 03:11 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by briste View Post
I can't believe the fixation that some on this board have with Latendresse. It is true he is a very good prospect and a French Canadian (which helps the team's marketability in Quebec). In all likelihood he will be a valuable contributor over his career but so many seem to think that the team should revolve around him.

Don't hurt his confidence, he has nothing left to prove in junior, he has worked hard, he is in the best shape of his life.

Sorry guys, but I think he still has a lot to prove. His junior year was okay for someone that was supposed to lead the league in scoring, he didn't earn much ice time at the world juniors and while he is a big strong guy, there are a lot of big strong guys in the NHL. His strength won't give him the same advantage in the pros that it did in junior.

Besides, there are other guys who put up great numbers in junior hockey in addition to Gui. What about their confidence, the hard work they have put in and the numbers they have put up. Do we hand every one of them a job? Of course not. The same should apply here.

As I said, Gui will more than likely become a solid NHL player but he has to earn that spot both on the ice and in the dressing room (the intangibles that we don't know about). All of the other arguments for keeping him are nothing more than cheerleading.
I totally agree. He is overhype and imo overated at this point. Sure he had a good camp last season, but it was not as good as some seem to think because he did not make the team. His season in the Q was far from great, especially since he was expected to be a 100+ pt player. Another year of junior will be fine and I am 99.999% sure that he will be back in junior. He would have to have twice the camp he did last season to make the team.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote