HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winger Acquisition Thread | Part V: Wingers in the Hands of an Angry (Hockey) God

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 08:38 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

vCash: 500
Not sold on David Jones. If he came cheap then worth a shot but I think he's both injury prone and overrated. With Colorado I don't see anyone outside of ROR or maybe McGinn worth inquiring about, and in any case no one who will dramatically improve our Cup chances. They're not a very good team and short of Landeskog (who will never be traded or not until he's had a few rough seasons in a row), nobody you'd think "there's a guy we should sign for the next 5 years and make a bunch of Cup runs".

Shero's options are to go big for a player like Perry or Ryan and go for "the 5 year plan" that way, or sign two lesser but still very respectable players and go for it by committee. But the number of guys potentially on the market, who by themselves could make us a top contender the way Hossa did, you can count on one hand.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:41 AM
rmartin65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Not sold on David Jones. If he came cheap then worth a shot but I think he's both injury prone and overrated. With Colorado I don't see anyone outside of ROR or maybe McGinn worth inquiring about, and in any case no one who will dramatically improve our Cup chances. They're just not a very good team and short of Landeskog (who will never be traded or not until he's had a few rough seasons in a row), nobody you'd think "there's a guy we should sign for the next 5 years and make a bunch of Cup runs".
Even if he came cheap in terms of assets being sent to Colorado, Jones' cap hit is still 4 mill through the 15/16 season. I dont know if we can make it work, considering Tanger and Malkin are getting raises soon.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:47 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Gagne isn't the great winger you remember from his prime in Philly anymore. We need to acquire someone that we know is a shore fire upgrade. Too many question marks with Gagne because of his health, declining production and had been a healthy scratch quite a bit this season in LA.
I suppose it is a moot point as Philly probably got him easy as they were likely Gagne's nr. 1, 2 and 3 priority if traded.

...but that said, I think there's a pretty good chance that people will change their tune on Gagne, and I would certainly have been OK with Shero sending LA a third rounder simply to see if he was a solution. If not.... it is a third rounder. Fair gamble.

LA have Brown and Williams on the wings on their first line, Carter and Penner on the second. Gagne is not your prototypical bottom6 player, and LA are getting their mojo back with him on the bench.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:48 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

If the Pens were indeed interested in Jones (or any other Avalanche player), I would assume that they would be scouting them. So far, they didn't yesterday.

Adrian Dater via Sulia: Scouting the Avalanche and Sharks game last night from the Eastern Conference were the Jets, Rangers and Bruins.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:53 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
I know its only been 2 games but I haven't noticed much of a difference with Neal on sid's line instead of Dupuis. If anything seemed like the line was going better with Dupuis more then Neal and the last 2 games were against two of the worst def and goal tending in the league. We will see how it goes but maybe sid's better with guys like Kunitz and Dupuis then a sniper like Neal.
No. Neal needs to be better at ES battling along the boards and moving his feet.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:00 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

With all of this speculation regarding the Wild and Pens making a deal, Minny will probably have to include a lefthanded Dman in a deal involving a winger since they have too many D at the moment who are waiver eligible and in desperate need of a righthanded D who can play the left. This is where Niskanen comes in as an ideal piece for them. The bigger question is who would be coming back with a winger like Seto?

I would also assume that the Wild would like the idea of clearing up a spot up front for Zucker and Coyle (upon Clutterbuck's return).

My proof with a source (Michael Russo):
http://www.startribune.com/sports/wi...1.html?refer=y
Falk returns

Defenseman Justin Falk, who missed the past three games, returned Tuesday. Nate Prosser was scratched for a ninth time because the right-shot defenseman isn't used to playing the left side.

"It's just the situation a couple of us are in [with one extra defenseman]," Falk said. "That's the reality. You accept it and try not to let it affect you and just try to stay sharp and be ready."

Asked if it can affect his play knowing his room for error is so slim, Falk said, "No. That used to be me two years ago where one mistake would drag you down for a week. But I've grown and matured past that."

Yeo said he wants the 6-5 Falk to use his "big body" and be "tough to play against [physically]."

Yeo also broke up the Clayton Stoner-Tom Gilbert pairing because "I can't say they've been completely on top of their game. Some of it is getting [Jared Spurgeon] going, and Stony and Spurg have played some really good hockey together [in past seasons]."

Forward Zenon Konopka was scratched for the third time in four games.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:34 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Speaking of Briere... the Puck Daddy thinks STL might be the destination. Watch Holmgren trade for Stewart. This board will lose its mind. Not that we have anyone comparable to Briere to offer if it did happen...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...1797--nhl.html

Old
02-27-2013, 09:54 AM
plaidchuck

I think it's funny now that what Philly does is the benchmark for what the Pens should do now..

Old
02-27-2013, 10:02 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
I don't mind Despres in the AHL at this point. He'll get top minutes there and be the go to guy if he plays like he's earned it. I'd rather they rotated Eaton & Bortuzzo in and out of the line-up. A little more experience on that blueline might not be a bad thing, since Bylsma's system is on exlax right now.
I personally don't see the point in rushing Despres. Especially not if he's gonna end up getting slightly north of 10 minutes a game either. Not exactly benefiting his development...

Old
02-27-2013, 10:07 AM
RehnX

Opinions on Bryan Little? He's a natural RW, and the Jets are sellers.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:13 AM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by RehnX View Post
Opinions on Bryan Little? He's a natural RW, and the Jets are sellers.
Jets are tied for first place in their division right now

Old
02-27-2013, 10:21 AM
plaidchuck

Quote:
Not exactly a powerhouse division.. although I can't say the Atlantic has been faring much better..

Old
02-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
There's that and the fact Little is a natural center, and playing as their 1C.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:24 AM
namsnoodle

Okay so I had a post deleted because it came across as advertising my blog. But I think we should go after Jarome Iginla and here's what I wrote in my blog

"Ever since Bill Guerin retired, the Penguins have been missing that veteran leadership in the locker room and on the ice. Guerin not only provided a strong presence as a veteran, but was able to add scoring along with it. One player that comes to mind is Jarome Iginla. While it may be a pipe dream, the benefits from it would do wonders as not only would the Penguins be getting both a veteran and a pure scorer in Iginla, but would have someone who already has established chemistry with Sidney Crosby, as evident of the 2010 Winter Olympics when they both helped lead Team Canada to Gold!"

Old
02-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Speaking of Briere... the Puck Daddy thinks STL might be the destination. Watch Holmgren trade for Stewart. This board will lose its mind. Not that we have anyone comparable to Briere to offer if it did happen...

Briere's cap hit is outrageous, I would be quite surprised if St. Louis took that...even if Philly paid half of it.

While the Blues are contenders, they're also financially a mess.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:29 AM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by namsnoodle View Post
Okay so I had a post deleted because it came across as advertising my blog. But I think we should go after Jarome Iginla and here's what I wrote in my blog

"Ever since Bill Guerin retired, the Penguins have been missing that veteran leadership in the locker room and on the ice. Guerin not only provided a strong presence as a veteran, but was able to add scoring along with it. One player that comes to mind is Jarome Iginla. While it may be a pipe dream, the benefits from it would do wonders as not only would the Penguins be getting both a veteran and a pure scorer in Iginla, but would have someone who already has established chemistry with Sidney Crosby, as evident of the 2010 Winter Olympics when they both helped lead Team Canada to Gold!"
That's great, but we can't really go after Iggy until Iggy and/or the Flames decide they want a parting of the ways.

So far, there's no indication that's happening.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:33 AM
namsnoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
That's great, but we can't really go after Iggy until Iggy and/or the Flames decide they want a parting of the ways.

It could happen if Iginla would be willing to waive his no trade clause

Old
02-27-2013, 10:35 AM
RehnX

Quote:
According to their own fans and rumor sources, they're still sellers.

Strickland, for what he's worth, just posted today, actually.

"Right now you can look at teams like Washington, Florida, Columbus, and Winnipeg as defined sellers."

However, he does go on to name Antropov, Wellwood, and Hainsey as movable. But I don't think it would be hard to get Wheeler.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:36 AM
plaidchuck

Quote:

Yeap it's a big question mark. And who knows even if he wants to leave they may just keep him past the deadline anyways, wouldn't be a surprise with how poorly managed that team has been.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:39 AM
namsnoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
Yeap it's a big question mark. And who knows even if he wants to leave they may just keep him past the deadline anyways, wouldn't be a surprise with how poorly managed that team has been.
I just presume that the Flames are going to be building for the future. So the Penguins, if a trade were to happen, could trade away someone like Tyler Kennedy, a draft pick and two defensive prospects.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:52 AM
plaidchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by namsnoodle View Post
I just presume that the Flames are going to be building for the future. So the Penguins, if a trade were to happen, could trade away someone like Tyler Kennedy, a draft pick and two defensive prospects.
The problem as people have mentioned is the fact he could be just a rental, so if he didn't resign and the Pens don't win it all they are out players, picks, and prospects for nothing, not to mention his age that MAY become an issue. I would honestly rather give up more and have a guy locked in for 5 years that you know will produce rather than have this issue of a rotating door on the wings every year.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:56 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

No offence against Iginla but I would prefer to see Shero making a run for a longterm solution at wing rather than selling a bunch of assets for a rental (especially one that won't come cheap).

Old
02-27-2013, 10:57 AM
KIRK

Quote:
When did Setoguchi become consistent? There's a reason this guy gets bounced up and down the lineup from line to line, from center to center. There's little consistency in his game. In fact, I would say Stempniak is the more consistent player since the latter moved away from Toronto (Phx and Cgy). Not suggesting we should target Stempniak because I'm not (unless or until we get rid of Kennedy, because Stempniak is a third-line RW), but I don't see how he is anymore inconsistent than Setoguchi is.

As for Letang, be CAREFUL what you wish for if you want him gone. I love how everybody is now drinking the Paul Martin-Brooks Orpik Kool-Aid this season. Yeah, they've done the job as the shutdown pairing. We're just as undisciplined and scatter-brained in the defensive zone this season, though. No, it's not their fault per se. But take away Letang's 24 minutes a night, and you will NOT be improving this team's defensive structure...you'd simply be trading away your best defenseman.

As Tender pointed out in the post-game thread last night, Letang is a stellar five-on-five player. Everybody disses him on the PP, and yes he definitely is way too hesitant to shoot the puck when we set him up for the one timer, but Letang would be fine as the fifth option on the PP if we went with the four forwards model. He's struggling there this year, and Martin is definitely outplaying him on the PP, but I don't trust Martin to continue his current level of play.

Trade Letang and keep Martin (medium term)? Hell no.
I don't know if anyone here is drinking the Orpik kool-aid.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:58 AM
KIRK

Quote:

mpp9 would need a padded room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RehnX View Post
According to their own fans and rumor sources, they're still sellers.

Strickland, for what he's worth, just posted today, actually.

"Right now you can look at teams like Washington, Florida, Columbus, and Winnipeg as defined sellers."

However, he does go on to name Antropov, Wellwood, and Hainsey as movable. But I don't think it would be hard to get Wheeler.
Really?

Old
02-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

How has beau Bennett looked thus far? What are your long term hopes for him?

Closed Thread