HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

St. Louis - Philadelphia (Briere)

Old
02-27-2013, 10:15 AM
SheasRebellion6

vCash: 500
Briere for a 1st. I would rather trade him to BOS at the deadline.

SheasRebellion6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Reign Nateo

This makes a lot of sense to me. Blues have cap room and a solid team, they can add a big salary like Briere. They also have size and grit in spades and could use Briere's skill-set. If I'm the Blues, I have a hard time putting Shattenkirk in this deal though...

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
Did I or anyone else say that, at all? No. I said what would we need to add, and in the article it clearly states that Briere wouldn't even be close. Read...
No need to read unless you're willing to give up a significant piece to get Shattenkirk - which I highly doubt you are.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:16 AM
Halak Ness Monster

Danny Briere for Andy McDonald?

Similar player but Philadelphia gets out of Briere's 6.5 mil cap hit for the next two years?

You aren't getting Ian Cole or Kevin Shattenkirk for Briere. He is 36 next year and has a horrible cap hit for a 2nd line winger. The Blues defense would be dangerously thin if we traded either for Briere.

Why would the Blues do this? Briere gets it done in the playoffs, is a little better at staying healthy, and is only making 5 million combined the next two years. The cap hit isn't a huge concern for the Blues.

Why would Philly do it? Cap room, easy. You'll have found 6.5 million just like that.

Edit: NVM

Last edited by Halak Ness Monster: 02-27-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:18 AM
StoneHands

vCash: 2425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie21 View Post
Briere will refuse to waive his NMC.
Homer: Danny, we want to trade you.
Briere: No.
Homer: We'll be sending you to a cup contender, we're not winning anything here and you don't have many years left.
Homer: Fine, we're buying you out in the offseason. You're wasting one of your last chances to win a cup.
Briere: You said you'd send me to a contender, right?

StoneHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:18 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
No need to read unless you're willing to give up a significant piece to get Shattenkirk - which I highly doubt you are.
LOL, then maybe you should read, because I said I'd be willing to give up Couturier

Obviously it doesn't matter seeing as I'm an HFBoards poster and not Paul Holmgren, but you get my point..

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:20 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Yet again for the third time, nobody is proposing that. I'm asking what we'd need to add on top of Briere.

Like I said, I'd trade Coots for Shatty pretty easily, maybe St. Louis would add a pick to that. If St. Louis was offering up Cole for Briere I'd also jump on that, only if Briere is definitely gonna be traded in flyers eyes. I'd obviously love to keep him and his playoff resume. The guy really is an animal in the playoffs.
Please read my whole post. I addressed the fact that you dont think its a 1 for 1 swap, so dont start getting all defensive about something that I didnt in the least imply. You get all huffy-puffy about people allegedly not reading your whole posts, and then you do the exact same thing.

Part of my post you ignored: "I dont see what Philly could add (that theyd be willing to add) to Briere to entice St. Louis to give up Shattenkirk. "

IMO you cant just "add" to Briere to get Shattenkirk. You simply need a better centrepiece to the deal, such as Schenn or Couturier.

Shattenkirk wont get moved for something like Briere + Read or Briere + 1st. Thats quantity for quality. The only way they give up Shattenkirk for quantity is if its an a ridiculous overpayment that Philly wouldnt want to do.

If St. Louis wants Briere, its going to be something like Rattie+ offered up. Not Shattenkirk. Makes zero sense short term and longterm.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:21 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post

Similar player but Philadelphia gets out of Briere's 6.5 mil cap hit for the next two years?

You aren't getting Ian Cole or Kevin Shattenkirk for Briere. He is 36 next year and has a horrible cap hit for a 2nd line winger. The Blues defense would be dangerously thin if we traded either for Briere.

Why would the Blues do this? Briere gets it done in the playoffs, is a little better at staying healthy, and is only making 5 million combined the next two years. The cap hit isn't a huge concern for the Blues.

Expand it out?

Briere, Hartnell, Grossman for McDonald, Eronen, and a 2nd round pick.

Hartnell is a UFA. He won't return much more than 2nd round pick since he was hurt this year.
Grossman won't return much more than a nice mid-level prospect. Maybe a mid-level pick.

I can see Holmgren wanting to shed to some aging weight.
That is honestly just an awful, awful proposal. Hartnell signed a 6 year extension last year also. Hartnell is right up there with Giroux on our untouchables list though, and this thread isn't about him so..

Old
02-27-2013, 10:21 AM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheasRebellion6 View Post
Briere for a 1st. I would rather trade him to BOS at the deadline.
this is what I'm hoping for!! Sooner rather than later though!

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:22 AM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

vCash: 349
Question about Briere, does he play wing or center now? How is he at faceoffs?

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SpezDispenser

Quote:
LOL, then maybe you should read, because I said I'd be willing to give up Couturier

Obviously it doesn't matter seeing as I'm an HFBoards poster and not Paul Holmgren, but you get my point..
Yeah, you said that. I assume Holmgren isn't on board with that line of thinking.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Please read my whole post. I addressed the fact that you dont think its a 1 for 1 swap, so dont start getting all defensive about something that I didnt in the least imply. You get all huffy-puffy about people allegedly not reading your whole posts, and then you do the exact same thing.

Part of my post you ignored: "I dont see what Philly could add (that theyd be willing to add) to Briere to entice St. Louis to give up Shattenkirk. "

IMO you cant just "add" to Briere to get Shattenkirk. You simply need a better centrepiece to the deal, such as Schenn or Couturier.

Shattenkirk wont get moved for something like Briere + Read or Briere + 1st. Thats quantity for quality. The only way they give up Shattenkirk for quantity is if its an a ridiculous overpayment that Philly wouldnt want to do.

If St. Louis wants Briere, its going to be something like Rattie+ offered up. Not Shattenkirk. Makes zero sense short term and longterm.
That's fine and I agree with you. I'd take that offered deal you said. But the reason I responded to your post the way I did was because I said I'd give up Coots for Shattenkirk.

Old
StoneHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post

Why would Philly do it? Cap room, easy.

Expand it out?

Briere, Hartnell, Grossman for McDonald, Eronen, and a 2nd round pick.

Hartnell is a UFA. He won't return much more than 2nd round pick since he was hurt this year.
Grossman won't return much more than a nice mid-level prospect. Maybe a mid-level pick.

I can see Holmgren wanting to shed to some aging weight.
Hartnell is locked up for pretty much the rest of his career, he's not a UFA.
GrossmanN is a 28 year old 2nd pairing defensive defenseman with a good cap hit. he wouldnt fetch more than a mid round pick?

Old
02-27-2013, 10:23 AM
SnapVirus

Briere for Shattenkirk is ridiculous.

Briere would get you a second or third pair dman and maybe a pick depending on the latest.

SnapVirus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:23 AM
Halak Ness Monster

Quote:
That is honestly just an awful, awful proposal. Hartnell signed a 6 year extension last year also. Hartnell is right up there with Giroux on our untouchables list though, and this thread isn't about him so..
My mistake. Capgeek screwed me. The page I looked at said he was an UFA.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:24 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
He's been playing on Schenn's wing this year, and has taken some faceoffs. He's not a player you'd put out there with your game on the line obviously due to how bad he is defensively, but he's not as terrible on faceoffs as the rest of his defensive game is TBH.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:24 AM
StoneHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Wing, you don't want him at center in a defensive system.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:25 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Yeah, you said that. I assume Holmgren isn't on board with that line of thinking.
I would hope he is, but you also said you doubt I was willing to give up anything of value for Shattenkirk, which was wrong so I stated I would give up Couturier.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:26 AM
HighOFFHockey

Quote:
Did I or anyone else say that, at all? No. I said what would we need to add, and in the article it clearly states that Briere wouldn't even be close. Read...
I agree that he would need to add, but people really underestimate what Danny brings to the table. Having said that, his caphit is not something most teams are willing to take on. And if they are, Danny might not want to go to that team.

I think he's a deadline day deal because of what he can bring to a playoff team.

Just for fun, here are his playoff numbers.
Caree NHL GP 108 G:50 A:59 PTS:109

HighOFFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:28 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOFFHockey View Post
I agree that he would need to add, but people really underestimate what Danny brings to the table. Having said that, his caphit is not something most teams are willing to take on. And if they are, Danny might not want to go to that team.

I think he's a deadline day deal because of what he can bring to a playoff team.

Exactly, if his cap hit wasn't so high he'd have a lot greater value. His playoff numbers with Flyers are even better

GP: 68 G: 37 A: 36 P: 73

Old
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

vCash: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOFFHockey View Post

The cap hit isnt a problem for us considering he makes less actual money than his cap hit. Its the actual money that matters to a team like us.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Halak Ness Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
Hartnell is locked up for pretty much the rest of his career, he's not a UFA.
GrossmanN is a 28 year old 2nd pairing defensive defenseman with a good cap hit. he wouldnt fetch more than a mid round pick?
I was definitely thinking of someone else when thinking of Grossman.

I see you guys gave up a 2012 2nd and 2013 3rd for him. I'd imagine it would cost the same for us to get him. Except you'd probably want someone like Rattie or Cole instead of 2 picks.

Old
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Doubt the Flyers could land a roster player for Briere. Probably a 1st round pick and a midrange prospect.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:32 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
Homer: Danny, we want to trade you.
Homer: We'll be sending you to a cup contender, we're not winning anything here and you don't have many years left.
Homer: Fine, we're buying you out in the offseason. You're wasting one of your last chances to win a cup.
Briere: You said you'd send me to a contender, right?
How is getting bought out a threat?

"Hey Danny! We currently owe you 5M in salary after this season, but we're willing to PAY you ~3.3M to NOT play with us. You'll then have the opportunity to sign ANYWHERE you want, and as long as in those two years you get paid more than 1.7M total, youll have even made a profit! Since you'd likely get a 2-year deal for ~7-8M, you'd actually end up earning about 5-6M more than you would with us!

OR, you could accept a trade to a team WE want to send you to, and you'll make less money. How's that sound?"

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:34 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
How is getting bought out a threat?

"Hey Danny! We currently owe you 5M in salary after this season, but we're willing to PAY you ~3.3M to NOT play with us. You'll then have the opportunity to sign ANYWHERE you want, and as long as in those two years you get paid more than 1.7M total, youll have even made a profit! Since you'd likely get a 2-year deal for ~7-8M, you'd actually end up earning about 5-6M more than you would with us!

OR, you could accept a trade to a team WE want to send you to, and you'll make less money. How's that sound?"
Lol, yea getting bought out clearly doesn't scare Danny. The reason I think he' waive is the same as the rest of players who have waived. Who wants to play for a team that tried to trade you and clearly has other ideas about your future with the team than you do. I know it's a business, but players are human also...