HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Media Punks

Old
07-18-2006, 01:32 PM
HabsFather
Twitter: @HabsFather

vCash: 500
we are aware of what they are doing but the question is fellas what do we do about it...i have never been one to stand down and ive always been stupid never to walk away from fights but i refuse to back down for what i belive in and it sickens me that the media is ruyining our teams chnces of signing any new talent

HabsFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 01:37 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfath3r View Post
we are aware of what they are doing but the question is fellas what do we do about it...i have never been one to stand down and ive always been stupid never to walk away from fights but i refuse to back down for what i belive in and it sickens me that the media is ruyining our teams chnces of signing any new talent
I have to disagree with your premise. I prefer freedom of the press to ufa's. I wish you would be more incident specific. If consumers wish to object and react to a photog or writer camoing outside someone's house, I think he should get the ridicule he's earned. If you want to limit the ability of someone hired to give opinion because you don't like the opinion, well...

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 01:56 PM
HabsFather

Im talkin about moments like when Koivu injured his eye and the media felt it was appropriate to take a picture with flash to really see if he was injured..im talking about moments when Koivu is ridiculed for speakin "white" when he is the captain of a Quebec team.

Im not saying to shut these voices up im sayin these voices could be used for positivity not negativity..when actual UFA's are saying they don't want to play in montreal because of how bad the media is..like Sheldon Souray has stated it's a problem...

It's nowhere this bad in the league except in Montreal.

Old
07-18-2006, 02:32 PM
kostitsyn1489

No it's not "freedom" With the CRTC some one of the radio or TV can't say anything he wants. And it's not about freedom it's about killing habs reputation and after that no one wanna sign here or not much. Filionwas sued for bashing on somebody. and a Journalist take picture with flash of an eye's injury player who doesn't want to and anything is ok. Yes it was on a public place but. Do somebody will take a picture of somebody on a operation table?

Or hiding in the bushes and filming somebody because we "need" to know if he is really injured. It's really stupid and after this guys bashing on gainey 'cause he didn't sign any UFA(Before july 12th). The journalist bashing on our player and because of that no player wanna come here and they bash on gainey because he didn't sign anybody and if sign one they're bashing on gainey because it's not the right player or he gave too much money or he's too small not a french guys etc etc etc. After we lose 2 game in a row in the season we're bashing ONE player because he didn't score for an amount of game or else. We're eliminated of the playoff we need to bashing on a player again not the team ONE player He's guilty for our elimination and it's the case each and every damn year.

This need to stop!

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2006, 03:37 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfath3r View Post
Im talkin about moments like when Koivu injured his eye and the media felt it was appropriate to take a picture with flash to really see if he was injured..im talking about moments when Koivu is ridiculed for speakin "white" when he is the captain of a Quebec team.

Im not saying to shut these voices up im sayin these voices could be used for positivity not negativity..when actual UFA's are saying they don't want to play in montreal because of how bad the media is..like Sheldon Souray has stated it's a problem...

It's nowhere this bad in the league except in Montreal.
I think that many players making a living in Ny,Chi,Bos,Philly or even the western cities in the NHL have had their share of personal stories. There are 2 incidents that you mention. Neither involve someone from the sports media. Koivu chose not to make these issues bigger than they had to be but we chose to discuss them to death and in many cases used it as a starting point for our own agendas.

I thought the camera issue was cheap and low. The language issue imo, could be handled better by all parties,but no one really wants an honest pov. Most opinions are pre existing and for that reason the discussion becomes offensive.

It's not the media job to spread a positive message. They report, and they observe and comment.

Sheldon commented how the media ran with rumour in his case. Sheldon's been around NY, he well knows how Arod's being treated right now. They don't even compare.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 11:30 AM
HabsFather

If anyone wants to help here is the email address a couple of members of the official habs forums created

Montreal_Media_Concerns@hotmail.com

just email that with the source link of any news source that attempts to slander our players use your judgement.

Old
07-24-2006, 01:27 PM
The Big E

The only thing you can probably do that might have any impact at all is to call the reporters on the carpet when they:

1. Misbehave
2. Lie
3. Mislead
4. Unnecessarily inflame a situation.

I ordered them to the degree in which you might have an impact. Obviously, behaving like a-holes is easier to call out than inflaming a situation which is somewhat subjective.

Y'alls are going to have to organize yourselves. That means someone will have to maintain an email list and a phone tree. When a reporter needs to be confronted, mobilize the fans. Start a blog. Use the Hfboards. However you like. If there's an organized fan club, approach them about your idea. This is the basics of political organizing.

Boycotting a newspaper isn't going to do much in this day and age.

Best of luck.

The Big E

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 01:35 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGTvidz View Post
hopefully RDS wont do anything bad, I cant imagine myself boycotting the hockey games, hehe

RDS is owned by Bell, the Habs main sponsor. The Habs LOVE the coverage. It's how they get the best crowds of the league.

Some players are afraid of the pressure, but many others (Kovalev, Samsonov, Dandenault, Shanahan etc) actually love to play in big hockey markets.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote