HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

St. Louis - Philadelphia (Briere)

Old
02-27-2013, 10:35 AM
Petes2424

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
This makes a lot of sense to me. Blues have cap room and a solid team, they can add a big salary like Briere. They also have size and grit in spades and could use Briere's skill-set. If I'm the Blues, I have a hard time putting Shattenkirk in this deal though...
It's a great fit. The problem the Blues will have to deal with? Where is their cap situation like over the next couple of years? The guys below are RFA. Adding Briere's 6+ for two years is a big deal. I guess they can buy him out at year's end though.

Stewart
Cole
Shattenkirk
Berglund
Pietrangelo
Russell
D'Agostini

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Fuelled by Passion

I think people should look at Briere's PO stats. He is an absolute beast in PO games, way better then in regular season. If the Blues thinking PO he will be perfect fit for them.

P.S He is a center who plays mostly wing if I recall correct

Fuelled by Passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
It's a great fit. The problem the Blues will have to deal with? Where is their cap situation like over the next couple of years? The guys below are RFA. Adding Briere's 6+ for two years is a big deal. I guess they can buy him out at year's end though.

Stewart
Cole
Shattenkirk
Berglund
Pietrangelo
Russell
D'Agostini
Blues spend nowhere near the cap and I don't see them doing so anytime soon.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Brownie21

Send a message via AIM to Brownie21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheasRebellion6 View Post
Briere for a 1st. I would rather trade him to BOS at the deadline.

http://nesn.com/2013/02/report-bruin...vement-clause/

Brownie21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
How is getting bought out a threat?

"Hey Danny! We currently owe you 5M in salary after this season, but we're willing to PAY you ~3.3M to NOT play with us. You'll then have the opportunity to sign ANYWHERE you want, and as long as in those two years you get paid more than 1.7M total, youll have even made a profit! Since you'd likely get a 2-year deal for ~7-8M, you'd actually end up earning about 5-6M more than you would with us!

OR, you could accept a trade to a team WE want to send you to, and you'll make less money. How's that sound?"
It's possible that the Flyers could trade Briere, the other team would buy him out since the cost isn't prohibitive and Briere would re-sign with Philly. Win-win.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:41 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
Blues spend nowhere near the cap and I don't see them doing so anytime soon.
That's why I brought it up. Adding a $6+ salary to it for two years isnt their style since the new ownership took over. That coupled with having to sign the guys I mentioned, Im not sure they'd really be interested in Briere. Whether the actual contract itself going way down makes him attractive to them, we shall see. If he were a UFA, that would make a lot more sense.

It'd be a great fit though. Not so much every shift but they'll need a scoring punch in the playoffs and he's proven.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:43 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
That's why I brought it up. Adding a $6+ salary to it for two years isnt their style since the new ownership took over. That coupled with having to sign the guys I mentioned, Im not sure they'd really be interested in Briere. Whether the actual contract itself going way down makes him attractive to them, we shall see. If he were a UFA, that would make a lot more sense.

It'd be a great fit though. Not so much every shift but they'll need a scoring punch in the playoffs and he's proven.
Briere makes some of those players expendable, and I'm sure they have money coming off the cap. I don't think Armstrong would be this interested without thinking of the future...they clearly know they can take on Briere and become better from it, whether that means subtracting some of their future RFA (small ones) or not.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:45 AM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
Quote:
Briere makes some of those players expendable, and I'm sure they have money coming off the cap. I don't think Armstrong would be this interested without thinking of the future...they clearly know they can take on Briere and become better from it, whether that means subtracting some of their future RFA (small ones) or not.
We dont really have money coming off the cap, McDonald is a UFA and future is unkown. But Petro, Shattenkirk, Berglund, Stewart are all due big raises. Russell and D'Ags wont get a raise at all, if they are even still here.

SirPaste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:47 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
We dont really have money coming off the cap, McDonald is a UFA and future is unkown. But Petro, Shattenkirk, Berglund, Stewart are all due big raises. Russell and D'Ags wont get a raise at all, if they are even still here.
True, with this dilemma why do you think St. Louis is still interested in Briere then? There's not a 1% chance Philly will retain any of his cap either..

Old
02-27-2013, 10:53 AM
StoneHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
How is getting bought out a threat?

"Hey Danny! We currently owe you 5M in salary after this season, but we're willing to PAY you ~3.3M to NOT play with us. You'll then have the opportunity to sign ANYWHERE you want, and as long as in those two years you get paid more than 1.7M total, youll have even made a profit! Since you'd likely get a 2-year deal for ~7-8M, you'd actually end up earning about 5-6M more than you would with us!

OR, you could accept a trade to a team WE want to send you to, and you'll make less money. How's that sound?"
Briere isn't getting any younger. For a guy that's made a hefty sum of money over his career, it may not be a bad thing to accept a trade to a contender when he may only have this season and next left in the tank. If he's going to be leaving Philly, he might want to do it this season when it looks like they won't make the playoffs. If they buy him out, at his age I would be surprised to see someone give him more than a 1 year deal anyway and there's no guarentee the team will be nearly as good as the Blues.

StoneHands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:54 AM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
Quote:
True, with this dilemma why do you think St. Louis is still interested in Briere then? There's not a 1% chance Philly will retain any of his cap either..
I was just stating facts, like I said earlier, its the actual money, not the cap hit thats important to us. We have more cap room than any team in the NHL, about $20 mil. And if we traded for Briere I doubt we would resign McDonald

SirPaste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:59 AM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

I'd definitely love to hav Briere, but I don't know if we could make it work money wise.

Vladys Gumption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Honeycutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
I'd definitely love to hav Briere, but I don't know if we could make it work money wise.
The actual money paid is not the same as the cap hit. i believe he is owed a combined 5 million the next two seasons. Not bad at all, and his inflated cap hit actually helps the Blues.

Honeycutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:06 AM
Alklha

Quote:

The contract isn't really an issue for the Blues; we can afford $5m over 2 years for someone like Bričre, it just means that McDonald wouldn't be back. The cap hit isn't an issue either, even with Bričre's $6.5m hit, we'd still likely only be around $58m against the cap after resigning our RFA's with a few depth spots to fill.

I just don't see us giving up anything significant to get Bričre. Maybe with the emergence of Jaškin we see Rattie as expendable, but I'd be surprised.

If it is a situation where the Flyers need to move Bričre for cap reasons, then the market of teams he waive for and can afford his caphit is going to be very small. I think we'll be trying to get him on the cheap, a second or something around that.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:08 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycutt View Post
The actual money paid is not the same as the cap hit. i believe he is owed a combined 5 million the next two seasons. Not bad at all, and his inflated cap hit actually helps the Blues.
Something close to that.

I don't know. I'm torn.

I like Briere but he has been pretty bad. Usually with Schenn and Simmonds, it's been them two carrying him.

He always turns it on in the playoffs. Who knows if we actually get there this season.

Who also knows if our two fanbases would agree to a deal.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:10 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
The contract isn't really an issue for the Blues; we can afford $5m over 2 years for someone like Bričre, it just means that McDonald wouldn't be back. The cap hit isn't an issue either, even with Bričre's $6.5m hit, we'd still likely only be around $58m against the cap after resigning our RFA's with a few depth spots to fill.

I just don't see us giving up anything significant to get Bričre. Maybe with the emergence of Jaškin we see Rattie as expendable, but I'd be surprised.

If it is a situation where the Flyers need to move Bričre for cap reasons, then the market of teams he waive for and can afford his caphit is going to be very small. I think we'll be trying to get him on the cheap, a second or something around that.

Not exactly.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Alklha

As for Shattenkirk, as the first reply in the thread said, he has been our best defenseman at both end of the ice this season. His defensive play has always been solid for us, but he really seems to have stepped it up this season. It is going to take a big overpayment for us to move him.

And yes, we won't have a problem affording him and Pietrangelo in the summer.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

vCash: 380
Briere could work in St. Louis fiscally speaking. It would mean the end of Andy McDonald's tenure though.

Trying to be a little different with a proposal here.

Blues have some extra picks this year to play with. What about one of the Blues 2nds + 5th + middle road D prospect like Cade Fairchild?

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
Not exactly.
The important part of that statement was "if".

In essence, if Philadelphia has no choice between sending him to a contending team which has the cap room and waiving him (due to Briere refusing to waive his NMC or what have you) at the end of the season...and they cannot get a deal done with Fedotenko and they start seeing that bonus penalty loom large...

Then yes I can see Philadelphia being forced to sell Briere for far less than market value.
A lot of "if"s in that statement though.

Multimoodia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:18 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Briere could work in St. Louis fiscally speaking. It would mean the end of Andy McDonald's tenure though.

Trying to be a little different with a proposal here.

Blues have some extra picks this year to play with. What about one of the Blues 2nds + 5th + middle road D prospect like Cade Fairchild?
Pass from here. Really, wouldn't even consider that.

We don't keep seconds, like ever.

Fifth is basically useless, when we enjoy picking goons with those picks.

No.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:18 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post

Im sure they could make it happen and it is a good fit for him. I guess towards the end of the summer they could see where they're at cap wise and if they had to buy him out or trade him, that can be dealt with then.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:19 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
The important part of that statement was "if".

In essence, if Philadelphia has no choice between sending him to a contending team which has the cap room and waiving him (due to Briere refusing to waive his NMC or what have you) at the end of the season...and they cannot get a deal done with Fedotenko and they start seeing that bonus penalty loom large...

Then yes I can see Philadelphia being forced to sell Briere for far less than market value.
A lot of "if"s in that statement though.
Has a NMC, can't waive him.

Trade Fedotenko to Boston for a pick.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:20 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Lol, yea getting bought out clearly doesn't scare Danny. The reason I think he' waive is the same as the rest of players who have waived. Who wants to play for a team that tried to trade you and clearly has other ideas about your future with the team than you do. I know it's a business, but players are human also...
I agree with that, yes.

If the GM asks you to waive, then the writing is on the wall. Especially if it gets public and the fan base turns against you.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Out of curiosity, what type of defenseman do the Flyers need?
Punishing? Puck-Moving? Pretty? (sorry, got locked in to alliteration there)

Multimoodia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
Out of curiosity, what type of defenseman do the Flyers need?
Punishing? Puck-Moving? Pretty? (sorry, got locked in to alliteration there)
They can get all the above by making one phone call to Calgary.