HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Should John Tortorella be fired?

Old
02-27-2013, 10:22 AM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzator View Post
It's so strange because the Rangers pretty much have the perfect mix. They have some legitimately elite scoring forwards up front, a good supporting cast, the best goalie in the game, and maybe the best group of defenseman in their own end in the league.

What gives Rangers fans?
2 of the 3 "elite talent" has sucked balls this year. During the losing streak the only elite talent that has played well has been injured. Yesterday Lundqvist our other elite was terrible.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:25 AM
abe jr

vCash: 701
why isn't Kreider in the AHL? Torts and his scratching/benching him is going to kill him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood163 View Post
I don't think Torts hard disciplinarian approach is as effective as it used to be with today's players. Ken Hitchcock has had to reinvent himself with a softer touch. Penguins won the cup with the more positive Bylsma one year after letting go the more fiery Michel Therrien.

Coaches like Torts seem burn themselves out on the players quickly.

This

abe jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:26 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
I REALLY hope you are a hockey player yourself if your going to "be hard on goalies". See, I tend to think goalies require the least amount of scrutiny. A goalie's job is to give his team a chance to win and make the "easy saves" as you put it... blaming a goalie for getting sniped 5-hole on a breakaway just seems kind of off to me. You gotta keep in mind that sometimes a save looks a lot easier than it really is when you're watching it on TV or whatever.

And I'm not speaking about Hank at all here.. I'm just talking about goalies in general. I can admit when Hank doesn't make a save that he should (the 4th goal against Winnipeg and possibly the other Kane goal.)
Much like quarterback, the goalie position has a disproportional amount of responsibility. If a defenseman or forward screws up the goalie still needs to make an easy save. When your goalie is Lundqvist he deserves even more scrutiny.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:46 AM
TylerSVT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
I could see Torts going to Calgary after he gets fired, and being their Ron Wilson for the next 4 years.
I doubt he comes here, the Flames are looking to be a bottom team the next 3-5 years. He is a winning coach, he would look good in Edmonton maybe.

Not to mention we just hired Jay Feasters buddy Hartley.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:48 AM
OnionPuck

Hope he's fired. Don't want to see him back on an NHL team, ever. I think he's disrespectful and there and plenty of other talented coaches out there who can get it done without being ******bags.

OnionPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:18 PM
rocky7
Tell itlikeit Isn't!

Absolutely this obnoxious punk should be fired. I could go on and on about him but suffice to say that to me, he coaches by instilling fear in the players, not respect or a desire to play for him. Why should these athletes feel that way about their coach? Problem is that he will likely end up being hired on somewhere as a talking head analyist and we will still have to listen to his BS and look at his mug. The guy is one of the most egotistical loudmouths I've ever seen being put up with by everyone, including some players that know so much more about the game than he does (which is usually the case with players and coaches. Still remember Gretzky getting benched by Sather one time). I would love to never have to look at him or listen to him ever again.

rocky7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:21 PM
lboogie42*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky7 View Post
Absolutely this obnoxious punk should be fired. I could go on and on about him but suffice to say that to me, he coaches by instilling fear in the players, not respect or a desire to play for him. Why should these athletes feel that way about their coach? Problem is that he will likely end up being hired on somewhere as a talking head analyist and we will still have to listen to his BS and look at his mug. The guy is one of the most egotistical loudmouths I've ever seen being put up with by everyone, including some players that know so much more about the game than he does (which is usually the case with players and coaches. Still remember Gretzky getting benched by Sather one time). I would love to never have to look at him or listen to him ever again.
my exact feelings

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:30 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

Love Torts, and would hire him in a second to coach the sharks.

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:35 PM
NYR1967

My biggest problem with Torts is that he seems unwilling to change the system to fit the players. This isn't last year's team and trying to win games 1-0 or 2-1 while blocking 70 shots a night isn't going to work with this squad. And as far as Kreider goes, I really wish he'd give him the slack to make rookie mistakes or send him down, but this yo-yo crap he's doing with the kid is bull****.

NYR1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:09 PM
AirheadPete
G-Dub

if torts gets canned after this season, i could definitely see buffalo scooping him up if things dont work out with rolston.

AirheadPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:10 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

I personally like Torts, but in every team sport rightly or wrongly its always the coach who's the scapegoat.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:14 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I usually do. I just can't stand it when he has games like today or goes on his annual "slump" where Theodore's nickname of Three-or-more is fitting. I guess a goalie can't make every easy save. It's just infuriating. I'll always be hard on goalies because I feel that it's the most important position and the position that requires the most scrutiny. If the screws up and allows a breakaway but the guy on the breakaway shoots a soft shot straight through a gaping 5 hole, I blame the goalie. I'm sorry, if he was doing his job the goal wouldn't have happened no matter how much the team screwed up. The fact that Hank is a superstar goalie and our best player makes me even harder on him. There's a myth about me hating him. I don't, I'm just holding him up to his own standards. Just 90% of the Rangers board think it's sacrilege to criticize him for a bad game because he's so good usually. Well sorry that's the reason he SHOULD be criticized because he can make those saves.
(sacrilege to criticize him for a bad game) Know how that feels as a Devils fan when it come to our goalie.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:20 PM
1rd
¡Hala Madrid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
I personally like Torts, but in every team sport rightly or wrongly its always the coach who's the scapegoat.
Agreed.
If Torts gets fired, he won't be out of a job for long. He's a good coach.

1rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:26 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR1967 View Post
My biggest problem with Torts is that he seems unwilling to change the system to fit the players. This isn't last year's team and trying to win games 1-0 or 2-1 while blocking 70 shots a night isn't going to work with this squad. And as far as Kreider goes, I really wish he'd give him the slack to make rookie mistakes or send him down, but this yo-yo crap he's doing with the kid is bull****.
Considering all that, Torts might be a good fit in Columbus. Not much star power, but a lot of meat an potatoes and a lot of guys who will work their ***** off to win games in that manner.

Shockmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:46 PM
Tretiak 20

The Rags are 1 pt out of a playoff spot with a game in hand. Overreaction just because they obtained the shiniest piece during the off-season and they're not 1st in the league.

On a related note though, Hank just hasn't been Hank this year. He needs to get it together for the Rags to do anything; in-season or post-season.

Tretiak 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:48 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
I can't imagine if my boss was like Torts. I'd want to kill myself every work day.
Not if your job is playing hockey. I always loved playing for coachs that had an attitude and character, it makes you play more intense. Hockey players whine about bossy coachs all the time but really you want someone who's a real captain of a ship at the helm, someone that knows his stuff. You hate playing for someone that doesn't have his **** together.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:59 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR1967 View Post
What's so different about this team? Same defense and goalie. We brought in a really good player that fits the system well. It's not like we have to change everything to accommodate Nash.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:39 PM
HolyShot*
Sniper

No team with Gaborik and his huge contract will win the cup. Trade Gaborik in a lateral move and fire torts and the rangers will win the cup.

HolyShot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:49 PM
abe jr

vCash: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman47 View Post
No team with Gaborik and his huge contract will win the cup. Trade Gaborik in a lateral move and fire torts and the rangers will win the cup.
gaborik is far from the problem.

abe jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:06 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman47 View Post
Yea, the guy that's fourth in the entire league in goal scoring since he's joined the Rangers is the problem.

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:22 PM
schabadoo

The team is 8-8-2.
Made the ECF last year.

But yeah, let's can him for.............?

schabadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:33 PM
CrownofThornton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Obligatory post from a Bruins fan coming out of nowhere to defend their team's actions. Happens in every thread. I wonder if there's a reason for this? Nah must be a conspiracy, everyone just hates the Bruins amirite?
wow! How far removed from reality can someone be? Please for your own sake rewatch the Lucic hit on Nash. Nothing remotely close to boarding about it, nothing to suggest he was injured directly from that play.. Nash even played 2 games after the fact.

Kind of dangerous a writer with a biased pov can feed gullible minds so easily.

Back on topic.

Love Torts! Love the strong personality, hold nothing back attitude.

While maybe it is Tort's coaching method that is partially accountable for some of the team injuries (everybody block shots), it would be foolish to hold him entirely accountable for every single injury that is bogging the team down. Think he is a good coach personally.

CrownofThornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:51 PM
lsx

Absolutely. Fire Torts.

Then we'll pick him up in SJ, I love his no BS attitude.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:03 PM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Can't stand Torts.

Haven't followed much of the Rangers.. but they have a good roster: Nash, Gaborik, Richards, Stepan, Callahan, McDonaugh, Staal, Girardi, MDZ, Lundqvist.

Hard to blame the GM when that roster underperforms.
The problem is that Nash, Richards, Gaborik and Del Zotto are players that don't fit in particularly well with Tortorella's system. It amazes me how Sather hasn't realized this. Sather is the problem. Anisimov and Dubinsky shouldn't have been traded away, especially not for a player like Nash.

Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:05 PM
SomE

yes fire him. the style he has them playing is garbage. offensive players are afraid to make a play because a turnover will mean they are benched... so its dump and chase.. safe is not death..

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote