HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Should we be surprised by Jeff Carter?

Old
02-27-2013, 06:13 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
In his defense he signed that deal to be a lifetime Flyer then they traded him before the NTC kicked in. And he still showed up every nigh for the blue jackets despite his hissy fit.
No he did not. In 39 games in Columbus, I might need a second hand to count the number of games where he actually played anything like what we all knew he was capable of doing.

There was also a point where a couple of people (Scott Arniel being one of them) said publicly that Carter's foot had healed and the swelling was gone, but it was up to "the player" to decide when he going to be able to play again.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:42 AM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
Jeez Columbus fans, you are starting to sound like bitter ex girlfriends. Trades don't always work out. The Jackets brought Carter in expecting him to be something he is not. OF course it's going to backfire.

Step 1: OSH
Step: 2: Let it go
Step 3: Fall in love with Jack Johnson and your forthcoming first rounder from LA

Last edited by Julius Caesar Milan: 02-27-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Julius Caesar Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:32 AM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
Great player, gets a lot of flack because he handled the CBJ situation like a baby. This is a business, get over it.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:05 AM
Keaver

I liked the guy. All I wish he had done was lift the damn puck. Dude shot high and wide all the time and the one moment where he needs to go high he doesn't do it.

Also on that play what a ****ing pass by Giroux to Carter that was ****ing brilliant

I also just watched the highlights of game 6 jesus chicagos 2nd and 3rd goals were so ****ing weak not to mention the OT goal....

Was a great series though

Last edited by Keaver: 02-27-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Keaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs151 View Post
People act like he was just god awfull last year. He scored 46 goals one year so fans just get down on players who dont live up to their peak(probably he was 24 years old). I just dont think people appreciate 30 goal scorers as much as they should. Its a hard number to reach. Even with an injury riddled season, playing with the columbus blue jackets ( no explanation needed) and then being traded to the low scoring kings, carter was still on pace for 31 goals. He has 46, 33, 36, 21(in 55) in his last 4 years. I really didnt understand all the negativity projected at him. Someone please explain

Mod please add the "r" in my title please. Thanks
On TSN, when talking about the Ryder trade, they said only 30 people had 30 goals last year. So when you look at Carter's production...it's impressive. We all know he was not traded from Philly for lack of production.(in the regiular season)

last 3 years with Philly...averaged was at a 73 point clip over 82 games played. In the playoffs over those same years...34 point clip. That's a HUGE loss in production from one of your top players. For LA last year...he was at 53 point clip in the plaoffs...so much better.

Last edited by Tripod: 02-27-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:29 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoowa View Post
Talk about ignorant. I've officially seen it all now that I've seen someone actually come out and defend Roman Cechmanek. Christ almighty.
I'll defend him for fun!!! He only played 3 regular seasons...great #'s:

59G 35W 15L 6T GAA 2.01 S% .921
46G 24W 13L 6T GAA 2.05 S%.921
58G 33W 15L 10T GAA 1.83 S% .925

just sayin

Old
02-27-2013, 10:31 AM
BigBrown
They did it!

Carter is what he is, a very skilled player who will be on for a stretch then off for another. That's gonna frustrate a lot of people. He's been good more than he's been bad with the Kings (and right now he's VERY good) but some of the people supporting him now will berate him once he starts to struggle, it's the nature of HFBoards and hockey fandom in general.

I mean even Kopitar gets his fair share of hate among Kings fans for being inconsistent, I doubt it will be any different in regards to Carter once a patterns starts to emerge.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:32 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookKing View Post
Not sure I get that "high and wide" reference. Certainly his shot is anything but -- they barely get more than a foot off the ice -- low and hard.
His signature move for the flyers is skate in a straight line down the right wing laser the puck from the top of the right circle straight at the glass which would then go all the way around the glass past the other 2 forwards and sometimes 1 D who are all crashing the net causing an odd man rush. Sure it's pretty when it goes in. But it causes a multitude of problems when it doesn't, and it really didn't go in all that often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Now you get the gist of how it works. It's all the fault of Eric Lindros, Jeff Carter, and Roman Cechmanek that the Flyers don't have a Stanley Cup. It is ironic that players they traded away went on to greener pastures (Brind'Amour and Williams won Cups with Carolina, Sharp with Chicago, Carter and Richards with LA).
Did you really just bring up Patrick Sharp? The fans didn't run him out of town or anything, Hitchcock didn't like his game and kept him on the 4th line or in the minors for his entire Philly career. That trade was a result of the coach not recognizing the talent he had. Williams was always hurt in his time here we needed defensive help so we traded him big deal those types of deals are made all the time. Brind'Amour was loved here, there were lockerroom issues that caused his departure, plus we got our next captain out of that deal, Primeau was loved too. Sure the Flyers have a multitude of players that were traded away to go on to win stanley cups, I'm sure you can pull up a good majority of players from any team that once they left went on to win cups.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:33 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post

just sayin
It wasn't the regular seasons people hated him for

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:39 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Now you get the gist of how it works. It's all the fault of Eric Lindros, Jeff Carter, and Roman Cechmanek that the Flyers don't have a Stanley Cup. It is ironic that players they traded away went on to greener pastures (Brind'Amour and Williams won Cups with Carolina, Sharp with Chicago, Carter and Richards with LA).
The Flyers do have a tendency to unjustly blame one player. However, with this example, Brind'Amour and Sharp were never disliked by the fans. Brind'Amour was always loved as a Flyer.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:43 AM
CanadianHockey
On the Alfie Wagon

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
There is probably negativity towards him for throwing a hissy fit because he got traded to Columbus. Yes, Columbus sucked, but his bad attitude attributed to that.
So when an organization trades a player who has just be re-signed to a long-term deal with an NTC that will become active in about a year, it's 'just business'.

But when said player applies pressure to be traded from the new organization, he's 'throwing a hissy fit'.

How can you act like it's no big deal when an organization acts selfishly, and then trash a player for doing likewise?

02-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Carter has an already big fanbase in LA and LA is an easy place for him to play. It seems every game his fanbase grows in size and depth.

We haven't needed him to finish scoring chances to get us to game 7s. He and other Kings are finishing games so it never gets that far. And there's something Kobe about him in the third period of tight games...
This shows the difference between the LA fanbase and the Philly fanbase. LA fans are happy with his play, but if he had the same numbers and played the same way in Philly, the fans would still be unhappy with him. It's the expectations. In LA, you have Kopitar and Dustin Brown as your first line. You don't depend or expect Carter to be your #1 player. In Philly, it was him and Richards. Giroux was more of a surprise.

In Philly, Carter was expect to put up 35 goals and 35 assists, and score on a regular basis. If he did not meet that, he was seen as a disappointment. In LA, he doesn't need to do that. Plus, with the style LA's play, it is unreasonable to expect much more of him. I think LA has a much more reasonable expectation for Carter. That is why they are pleased with his play.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:45 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
The Flyers do have a tendency to unjustly blame one player. However, with this example, Brind'Amour and Sharp were never disliked by the fans. Brind'Amour was always loved as a Flyer.
I agree with this. But as a fan, it was so frustrating to see Carter, in the playoffs, miss a big goal that would swing the momentum of the game. Or be hurt. In the end, FOR PHILLY, he never "turned up his game" And it was frustrating because Philly fans always believed that he had the ability to do so. He was just missing something. And I'm sure it didn't help to see Richards, Briere ad Giroux always turning it up instead of him.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:49 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
I agree with this. But as a fan, it was so frustrating to see Carter, in the playoffs, miss a big goal that would swing the momentum of the game. Or be hurt. In the end, FOR PHILLY, he never "turned up his game" And it was frustrating because Philly fans always believed that he had the ability to do so. He was just missing something. And I'm sure it didn't help to see Richards, Briere ad Giroux always turning it up instead of him.
To be honest, I don't even think the fanbase in Philly really had any real hate toward him like they did Lindros or Cechmanek. People were frustrated with Carter, but he never received the vitriol of these other players.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:55 AM
Tripod

Quote:
This shows the difference between the LA fanbase and the Philly fanbase. LA fans are happy with his play, but if he had the same numbers and played the same way in Philly, the fans would still be unhappy with him. It's the expectations. In LA, you have Kopitar and Dustin Brown as your first line. You don't depend or expect Carter to be your #1 player. In Philly, it was him and Richards. Giroux was more of a surprise.

In Philly, Carter was expect to put up 35 goals and 35 assists, and score on a regular basis. If he did not meet that, he was seen as a disappointment. In LA, he doesn't need to do that. Plus, with the style LA's play, it is unreasonable to expect much more of him. I think LA has a much more reasonable expectation for Carter. That is why they are pleased with his play.
When you see a 24 year old get 84 point including 46 goals, there are expectations. Seeing that player become a 60 point guy and your 3rd best Center is not one of them. Add the playoff issues, and there you have it.

And people can say what they want, but when the team has a group of young players that are drinking too much, and you trade away Lupul and Upshall to send messages to the 2 STARS, AND then when you have to try and install a DRY ISLAND and they refuse, that is an issue. If they won the SCF...no issue(see Pat Kane )

Old
02-27-2013, 10:58 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
It wasn't the regular seasons people hated him for
I know...been a fan since the 70's. But would love to have those #'s today from a goalie!

Old
02-27-2013, 11:05 AM
jack mullet
@jackmullethockey

Quote:
On TSN, when talking about the Ryder trade, they said only 30 people had 30 goals last year. So when you look at Carter's production...it's impressive. We all know he was not traded from Philly for lack of production.(in the regiular season)

last 3 years with Philly...averaged was at a 73 point clip over 82 games played. In the playoffs over those same years...34 point clip. That's a HUGE loss in production from one of your top players. For LA last year...he was at 53 point clip in the plaoffs...so much better.
yeah, but in his defense, pretty much everyones numbers take a dive in the playoffs. its alot harder to score when you are playing a 7 game series against the top teams in your conference.

jack mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:13 AM
MildlyAwesome
Rational Leaf Fan

People rag on him for Columbus and not "sucking it up" despite making millions of dollars but fail to see that this guy signed an 11 year contract, with a promise with the GM, that the GM wouldn't trade him for one year until his NTC kicked in (he was too young to get it the first year). Within 12 months, he had been traded from a top tier team to one of the worst run franchises in the league.

When you sign an 11 year deal, there's a certain level of expectation. An 11 year deal says "this is where I want to have my career, my life, and possibly family). I fully understand him being upset. It's like signing a contract for your company to be in New York for the prime years of your 20s and 30s only to have that company transfer you to Winnipeg 3 weeks later. You wouldn't have signed a contract with your company had this been known. Not that Saskatoon (or Columbus hockey-wise) are bad cities, but its not as comparable to the "feeling" of New York (or Philly hockey-wise).

He's a good player. I'm glad he won the cup.He's skilled, and will be a sniper for years. He probably won't hit 40 goals on a defensive Kings team but he'll be a lethal threat.

MildlyAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:32 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:

just sayin
The problem for Cechmanek is that his team scored 2 goals in the 2002 first round series - and yet they lost in 5. That's a record for futility in scoring in a 7 game series. Somehow he caught flak for that.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
Quote:
The problem for Cechmanek is that his team scored 2 goals in the 2002 first round series - and yet they lost in 5. That's a record for futility in scoring in a 7 game series. Somehow he caught flak for that.
Cechmanek's performance in LA didn't help his legacy at all.

Julius Caesar Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Ron
Kings Fan Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
Exactly. It always seemed like he would inflate his stats in games that didnt matter. Obviously thats not the case for his whole career, but the guy is just not a clutch player. Queue the stanley cup ot goal last year thats one goal, in 7 years with the flyers the guy was non existent.
Ah, here is that "Carter only scores in blowouts" claim that we are having so much fun with on the Kings board.

1. Hat trick in key game 2 in WCF. Unless you are counting 1-0 as a blowout in the second period of that game, that's was clutch play all the way.

2. The OT goal you mentioned in passing. I don't know how much more clutch you can get.

3. GWG to claim the Cup in game 6. Added another goal as well in that game.

4. He's had 10 goals already this season (only one EN, the last game). The Kings would most certainly be in trouble without him. The goals have all been timely and necessary. I haven't looked up his GWG but that doesn't matter...what does matter is that he is coming through for the Kings.

You can make your nonsense claims about his goals being meaningless in Philly. Not sure why they would sign him to a long-term contract if they were. Also not sure why they sold him short after the contract signing.

But here in Stanley Cup land, we are very happy you let him go.

02-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Ron
Kings Fan Since 1967

Quote:

QFT.

But I will say Philly's expectations are probably inflated on a seasonal basis anyway. Hell, they expect to win the Cup every year with a roster that just isn't going to be able to get it done.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

I still remember Cechmanek lying on the ice for 8 seconds while all players kept playing, great play...

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:18 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
There is probably negativity towards him for throwing a hissy fit because he got traded to Columbus. Yes, Columbus sucked, but his bad attitude attributed to that.
Link?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:19 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:

Nah, in LA when Kopitar and Brown don't meet our expectations we rip them, which is sometimes unreasonable. Brown is a very streaky player. He plays his best when he is hitting everything that moves. Right now he is on a tear. Two weeks ago some Kings' fans were calling for his head. No player in the NHL can hit for an entire regular season the way Brown does when he is at the top of his game. A lot of fans don't understand that. Their expectations are out of whack.

Mike Richards was taking a lot of flack from some the first few weeks of the season for his play. Fans are fans.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote