HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Jimmy Lodge - Saginaw - Flying Under the Radar

Old
02-26-2013, 11:35 PM
RyanHPscout
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I think this can be said for dozens of kids that have skill for this draft class. He is a 6'2 lanky kid...he hasnt grown into his frame yet and plays that way and has done so for some time.

I really dont get the issue with a kid like this playing soft as if every player is a gladiator on ice out there. plenty kids dont use their frame to their advantage and play a softer style of game yet still enjoy great success at the NHL level. Case in point Blake Wheeler. Jimmy reminds me a lot of Wheeler...the good and the bad. he is that wildcard of a player.

When I see people rank Jason Dickinson in the top 15 ahead of this kid and criticise Jimmy for his soft play, I just dont get it as Jason is as vanilla as it gets and shouldnt be ranked anywhere near that high in drafts..
Because there is a big difference between players who as you put it "use their frame to their advantage and play a softer style of game" and players who will let the physicality of a game affect their willingness to engage in certain areas and playing his style. As I mentioned earlier it's not just about whether he'll hit or won't hit. There are plenty of players as you mentioned who are big but don't play a physical game, but after watching Lodge play the last 3 years it's too much of an issue to overlook.

If he becomes a player who just simply doesn't play a physical game but doesn't let it affect him he'll be fine, but it's beyond just not playing physical. I don't ever expect him to become physical. But he's doing the same stuff 3 years ago that prevented him from going higher in the OHL Draft and might prevent him from going as high as he could in the NHL Draft. No one will argue his speed, skill and hands, but obviously there's differing opinions about how he handles physical play.

But at the end of the day all it takes is one team. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the top 60, but at this point I personally wouldn't place in himside the top 60 as of right now becasue there's other talented players who offer more in those picks.

I don't wanna knock the kid cause he's talented but the discussion seems to have stemmed into his physical play, and this is just the truth about how he is around the physical game.

If we talk speed, hands and what he's doing with his offensive opportunities right now, I would agree with you in those areas and I think it's great what he's doing, and I look forward to seeing him play in the playoffs as he'll be playing a much bigger role and I hope it will do well.

RyanHPscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:18 AM
clearwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
I think this can be said for dozens of kids that have skill for this draft class. He is a 6'2 lanky kid...he hasnt grown into his frame yet and plays that way and has done so for some time.

I really dont get the issue with a kid like this playing soft as if every player is a gladiator on ice out there. plenty kids dont use their frame to their advantage and play a softer style of game yet still enjoy great success at the NHL level. Case in point Blake Wheeler. Jimmy reminds me a lot of Wheeler...the good and the bad. he is that wildcard of a player.

When I see people rank Jason Dickinson in the top 15 ahead of this kid and criticise Jimmy for his soft play, I just dont get it as Jason is as vanilla as it gets and shouldnt be ranked anywhere near that high in drafts..
I agree with you about Dickinson, I can't understand his high ranking still. I feel he is still being judged for what he did in his rookie year because of all the opportunities he was given by Guelph. If Lodge and Moutrey were given the same opportunities in their rookie year they would have shined also and be ranked higher at the start of the year. If both these players were playing in Ontario they would be seen more from all OHL bloggers and would be receiving a lot more accolades. Lodge is taking advantage of his new opportuntiy with playing with Locke, Ross and Moutrey would have been doing the same if given the same opportunity but it looks like the coach likes him playing with another big man, Kea. It's unfortunate that Moutrey is playing with more of defensive centreman that's not much of a puck mover and a rookie on the other wing, he brings so much more than just scoring but given the opportunities to play with guys that have vision and can move the puck he would produce more.

clearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:41 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

[QUOTE=clearwater;60575251]If both these players were playing in Ontario they would be seen more from all OHL bloggers and would be receiving a lot more accolades. Lodge is taking advantage of his new opportuntiy with playing with Locke, Ross and Moutrey would have been doing the same if given the same opportunity but it looks like the coach likes him playing with another big man, Kea. It's unfortunate that Moutrey is playing with more of defensive centreman that's not much of a puck mover and a rookie on the other wing, he brings so much more than just scoring but given the opportunities to play with guys that have vision and can move the puck he would produce more.[QUOTE]

Bingo and Bingo.

-For some reason guys just seem to be overlooked when playing Saginaw. Hell, Saad dropped to the second round when anyone who actually watched him knew he was a first rounder if not a top ten pick. Locke got missed last year. (Thought he was a 5th or 6th rounder last year).

-Don't want to hijack this thread, but in regards to clearwater's second point: Once Bratina is back they'll have the guy with vision they need. Watch for Bratina to have a Lodge like surge next year.

Kingpin794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:44 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHPscout View Post
Because there is a big difference between players who as you put it "use their frame to their advantage and play a softer style of game" and players who will let the physicality of a game affect their willingness to engage in certain areas and playing his style. As I mentioned earlier it's not just about whether he'll hit or won't hit. There are plenty of players as you mentioned who are big but don't play a physical game, but after watching Lodge play the last 3 years it's too much of an issue to overlook.

If he becomes a player who just simply doesn't play a physical game but doesn't let it affect him he'll be fine, but it's beyond just not playing physical. I don't ever expect him to become physical. But he's doing the same stuff 3 years ago that prevented him from going higher in the OHL Draft and might prevent him from going as high as he could in the NHL Draft. No one will argue his speed, skill and hands, but obviously there's differing opinions about how he handles physical play.

But at the end of the day all it takes is one team. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the top 60, but at this point I personally wouldn't place in himside the top 60 as of right now becasue there's other talented players who offer more in those picks.

I don't wanna knock the kid cause he's talented but the discussion seems to have stemmed into his physical play, and this is just the truth about how he is around the physical game.

If we talk speed, hands and what he's doing with his offensive opportunities right now, I would agree with you in those areas and I think it's great what he's doing, and I look forward to seeing him play in the playoffs as he'll be playing a much bigger role and I hope it will do well.
I havent seen Jimmy Lodge get pushed around there much at all... I again think this is much to do about nothing kind of talk..silly if you ask me. he isnt going to be a Ryan Callahan or Dustin Brown physical player, he is a skilled bigger forward in the Blake Wheeler mold. Same things could have been said about Wheeler in his draft that he shied away from physical play and infront of the crease, yet Gretzky and the Yotes had the common sense to take the kid as high as they did based off of their view of him and his potential. I think Lodge is that type of player..your not drafting him in hopes he turns into a power winger, you draft this kid on his wheels and skillset which is far above many of the people being ranked ahead of him.

if there are 59 better prospects than Jimmy for this draft, this will be one of the best drafts ever..

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:59 PM
clearwater

[QUOTE=Kingpin794;60581427][QUOTE=clearwater;60575251]If both these players were playing in Ontario they would be seen more from all OHL bloggers and would be receiving a lot more accolades. Lodge is taking advantage of his new opportuntiy with playing with Locke, Ross and Moutrey would have been doing the same if given the same opportunity but it looks like the coach likes him playing with another big man, Kea. It's unfortunate that Moutrey is playing with more of defensive centreman that's not much of a puck mover and a rookie on the other wing, he brings so much more than just scoring but given the opportunities to play with guys that have vision and can move the puck he would produce more.
Quote:

Bingo and Bingo.

-For some reason guys just seem to be overlooked when playing Saginaw. Hell, Saad dropped to the second round when anyone who actually watched him knew he was a first rounder if not a top ten pick. Locke got missed last year. (Thought he was a 5th or 6th rounder last year).

-Don't want to hijack this thread, but in regards to clearwater's second point: Once Bratina is back they'll have the guy with vision they need. Watch for Bratina to have a Lodge like surge next year.
Hey Kingpin, I agree with you about Britina but not with Kea up the middle. You need a puck moving centreman with good vision to complement good wingers.

Old
02-27-2013, 05:08 PM
RyanHPscout
HFBoards Sponsor

[QUOTE][QUOTE=Kingpin794;60581427]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwater View Post
If both these players were playing in Ontario they would be seen more from all OHL bloggers and would be receiving a lot more accolades. Lodge is taking advantage of his new opportuntiy with playing with Locke, Ross and Moutrey would have been doing the same if given the same opportunity but it looks like the coach likes him playing with another big man, Kea. It's unfortunate that Moutrey is playing with more of defensive centreman that's not much of a puck mover and a rookie on the other wing, he brings so much more than just scoring but given the opportunities to play with guys that have vision and can move the puck he would produce more.
Quote:

Bingo and Bingo.

I'm not sure what living in Ontario has to do with not seeing players on teams like Saginaw in the OHL. Personally speaking Plymouth is the team i've seen the most of outside Sarnia and London. Saginaw would be in the top 10 of teams that I've seen this year and I live in Ontario. Also all the players mentioned there played their Minor Midget hockey in Ontario. Saginaw was in my top 5 teams viewed last year and I faught hard to get Justin Kea and Garret Ross good rankings because I knew how good their potential was. In my own personal opinion both are making me look good right now with how much they've improved and how they've performed this year.

I saw a ton of Brandon Saad in his draft year. He was in the top 10 discussion around the midway point but his play in the second half of the season dropped off so significantly he dropped behind several players. I can't elaborate how much I liked watching Saad between October and December in his draft year and how unexplainable his drop off was in January and March. The difficult question was would he be the player he was in the first half, the player he was in the second half, or a cross between the two. By the looks of it he's the first half player. We kept Saad in the first round and I was personally surprised no one traded up to get him. Chicago had an amazing draft in 2011 and Saad is probably the headline for that.

Eric Locke was talked about early last year and fell in rankings. Eric's drop had absolutely nothing to do with playing in Saginaw. It had everything to do with him being 5'9" on a good day and his drop off in creating offense. Eric's point totals actually dropped in his second season compared to his first season and he didn't look like the same player on the ice. Part of this has to do with being caught behind some talented players on Saginaw. Eric is once again being talked about for 2013 because he's found that goal scoring touch that seemed to evade him last year.

I hope this clarifies what happened to these two player's draft stock and that, atleast in my opinion there is no Saginaw bias. I wouldn't worry about Moutrey from what I've seen.

Last edited by RyanHPscout: 02-28-2013 at 01:35 AM.
RyanHPscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:08 PM
clearwater

[QUOTE=RyanHPscout;60596625][QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin794 View Post

I'm not sure what living in Ontario has to do with not seeing players on teams like Saginaw in the OHL. Personally speaking Plymouth is the team i've seen the most of outside Sarnia and London. Saginaw would be in the top 10 of teams that I've seen this year and I live in Ontario. Also all the players mentioned there played their Minor Midget hockey in Ontario. Saginaw was in my top 5 teams viewed last year and I faught hard to get Justin Kea and Garret Ross good rankings because I knew how good their potential was. In my own personal opinion both are making me look good right now with how much they've improved and how they've performed this year.

I saw a ton of Brandon Saad in his draft year. He was in the top 10 discussion around the midway point but his play in the second half of the season dropped off so significantly he dropped behind several players. I can't elaborate how much I liked watching Saad between October and December in his draft year and how unexplainable his drop off was in January and March. The difficult question was would he be the player he was in the first half, the player he was in the second half, or a cross between the two. By the looks of it he's the first half player. We kept Saad in the first round and I was personally surprised no one traded up to get him. Chicago had an amazing draft in 2011 and Saad is probably the headline for that.

Eric Locke was talked about early last year and fell in rankings. Eric's drop had absolutely nothing to do with playing in Saginaw. It had everything to do with him being 5'9" on a good day and his drop off in creating offense. Eric's point totals actually dropped in his second season compared to his first season and he didn't look like the same player on the ice. Part of this has to do with being caught behind some talented players on Saginaw. Eric is once again being talked about for 2013 because he's found that goal scoring touch that seemed to evade him last year.

I hope this clarifies what happened to these two player's draft stock and that, atleast in my opinion there is no Saginaw bias. I wouldn't worry about Moutrey from what I've seen.

Interesting article

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...eport/1955773/

Old
03-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Daneurism

I tend to agree that teams like Saginaw and Plymouth aren't under scouted. I can't imagine a better scenario for getting looks than playing in the OHL. I'm sure teams like London and Kitchener are slightly better scouted but that's just the way it is. I can imagine worse scenarios for being seen(European second divisions, USHL, Prep schools, etc).

Daneurism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

A bit late with this but our reporter Melissa Perri spoke to Jimmy about a month ago.

LINK

Mark Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote