HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

St. Louis - Philadelphia (Briere)

Old
02-27-2013, 11:25 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
Out of curiosity, what type of defenseman do the Flyers need?
Punishing? Puck-Moving? Pretty? (sorry, got locked in to alliteration there)
Honestly, we need a top pairing defender. That's all. We have a bunch of middle pairing and bottom pairing defenders. Including a glut of bottom pairing to minor leaguers.

Timonen / Schenn
Coburn / Grossmann
Gust / Gervais

That's what we've been using lately.

Gust has been playing REALLY well, and ironically he's the only other defender outside of Timonen that we use on the point on the Powerplay.

We use Voracek / Timonen on unit 1 and Gust and Couts on unit 2. Take that for what it's worth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
They can get all the above by making one phone call to Calgary.

Let's see who you're thinking about, but please remember Schenn and Couts aren't on the table for Bouwmeester.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
Has a NMC, can't waive him.

Trade Fedotenko to Boston for a pick.
Ah yes, for whatever reason I was thinking amnesty allowed waiving of NMC players as well.

At any rate, my point was if Feds does not get traded, Briere does not agree to go to anything less than a strong contender, and the bonus starts looking as though it could get a bit tight...Danny might get far less than market value.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
They can get all the above by making one phone call to Calgary.
I do not think even Giordano's mother would consider him pretty.

*edit*
And the only thing punishing about Bouwmeester is his contract.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:27 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
I remember when I brought Briere up when we Army first scouted the Flyers, and his HF price was a lot lower about a week ago than apparently it is now.

If Philly offered Couts for Shatty, I would still say no. Shatty is just way to important, and his defensive game continues to improve.

My guess is the Briere trade to St. Louis was contingent on them getting Gagne, and they wanted to free cap space for another trade or to go after a free agent in the summer.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:33 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
Ah yes, for whatever reason I was thinking amnesty allowed waiving of NMC players as well.

At any rate, my point was if Feds does not get traded, Briere does not agree to go to anything less than a strong contender, and the bonus starts looking as though it could get a bit tight...Danny might get far less than market value.
Honestly - I don't think it would be that tough to move Fedotenko. I think Boston has been scouting more then just Briere & with the acquisition of Gagne; Fedotenko's PK role is basically replaced there.

The Briere part - is tough. Everyone knows that he's bound to turn it up in the playoffs, as judged by his numbers. He's been rough, real rough this season so far. It seems nothing is getting him going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I remember when I brought Briere up when we Army first scouted the Flyers, and his HF price was a lot lower about a week ago than apparently it is now.

If Philly offered Couts for Shatty, I would still say no. Shatty is just way to important, and his defensive game continues to improve.

My guess is the Briere trade to St. Louis was contingent on them getting Gagne, and they wanted to free cap space for another trade or to go after a free agent in the summer.
Nah, It's just dependent on who you ask. Some Flyers fans, continue to consider his whole value and not just current value.

It would be a tough sell for both. Honestly, Couts means so much to the Flyers as well in the way of pissing off Malkin and taking him off his game and shutting him down.

Not really, Gagne replaces Fedotenko more at this stage. Briere, like I said is a tough player to gauge right now. His contract kills some value for him right now, but if you guys are trying to say that all he's worth is a 2nd and a 5th. Then we're better off keeping him, or attempting to move him elsewhere.

We don't keep 2nd's, we trade them like candy.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:33 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Briere could work in St. Louis fiscally speaking. It would mean the end of Andy McDonald's tenure though.

Trying to be a little different with a proposal here.

Blues have some extra picks this year to play with. What about one of the Blues 2nds + 5th + middle road D prospect like Cade Fairchild?
A team like the Blues always has to think past the current year so McDonald's situation is irrelevant.

His contract is up and will likely be gone as a UFA whereas Briere would be under contract for two additional years which directly affects where our limited resources will be spent.

The odds management/ownership want to give a 35+ veteran a roster spot for the next two years that could easily go to a cheaper, younger, promising forward in the pipeline on an ELC is severely doubtful unless they all 100% thought that Briere is the one missing piece....which he isn't.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:35 AM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 2238
What is Philly's cap situation looking like for next season? Is moving Briere's 6 mil cap a must, or will they be fine if they keep it? The market for Briere probably isn't very big due to these 2 points.

A. 6 mil cap hit
B. NMC

Any playoff team would love to add Briere at the deadline due to his playoff ability. The issue is that those teams would have to have the cap room to take him on for this year and the next two. The other issue is that Briere would have to wave to go to that team. How many teams can take on that caphit and are true contenders (that Briere would approve of).

HANDZ 57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:36 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
A team like the Blues always has to think past the current year so McDonald's situation is irrelevant.

His contract is up and will likely be gone as a UFA whereas Briere would be under contract for two additional years which directly affects where our limited resources will be spent.

The odds management/ownership want to give a 35+ veteran a roster spot for the next two years that could easily go to a cheaper, younger, promising forward in the pipeline on an ELC is severely doubtful unless they all 100% thought that Briere is the one missing piece....which he isn't.
He's only being paid a total of 5 million over the next two seasons. The cap number is pretty much irrelevant because we never spend anywhere near the cap.

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:38 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Honestly - I don't think it would be that tough to move Fedotenko. I think Boston has been scouting more then just Briere & with the acquisition of Gagne; Fedotenko's PK role is basically replaced there.

The Briere part - is tough. Everyone knows that he's bound to turn it up in the playoffs, as judged by his numbers. He's been rough, real rough this season so far. It seems nothing is getting him going.

Nah, It's just dependent on who you ask. Some Flyers fans, continue to consider his whole value and not just current value.

It would be a tough sell for both. Honestly, Couts means so much to the Flyers as well in the way of pissing off Malkin and taking him off his game and shutting him down.

Not really, Gagne replaces Fedotenko more at this stage. Briere, like I said is a tough player to gauge right now. His contract kills some value for him right now, but if you guys are trying to say that all he's worth is a 2nd and a 5th. Then we're better off keeping him, or attempting to move him elsewhere.

We don't keep 2nd's, we trade them like candy.
Which is why you need more of them.

In reality though, I could see a 2nd and a prospect. Even Cole would be wishful thinking on the Flyers part. Production is decling, he will only waive for a contender, and we are basically the only contender that would take his cap hit.

Philly will need that cap space to address their needs in the offseason.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:41 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Which is why you need more of them.

In reality though, I could see a 2nd and a prospect. Even Cole would be wishful thinking on the Flyers part. Production is decling, he will only waive for a contender, and we are basically the only contender that would take his cap hit.

Philly will need that cap space to address their needs in the offseason.

Pointless, when he pisses them away on players like Pavel Kubina.

I like Cole, but see why you guys are hesitant.

Boston isn't considered a contender?

There's also the amnesty in the off season, that comes in.. Honestly, we can't "address" our needs in free agency, we tried with Weber and that failed. All we need is a #1 Defender. I feel.

I think Bryz's contract is slightly enlarged.. But that's a story for another thread.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:45 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Pointless, when he pisses them away on players like Pavel Kubina.

I like Cole, but see why you guys are hesitant.

Boston isn't considered a contender?

There's also the amnesty in the off season, that comes in.. Honestly, we can't "address" our needs in free agency, we tried with Weber and that failed. All we need is a #1 Defender. I feel.

I think Bryz's contract is slightly enlarged.. But that's a story for another thread.
With a decreasing cap, and Boston having to resign Rask, and whether they resign Horton or someone else, I don't see them taking on Briere's cap. The only have a little more than 7 million in space next year and they have to resign Rask and Horton or find his replacement.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:48 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

If Holmgren is asking for Shattenkirk out of St. Louis, then he's probably asking for Hamilton out of Boston.

Not that he'll get either, but this is interesting stuff.

Honestly, I'd take Cole+.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:48 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
With a decreasing cap, and Boston having to resign Rask, and whether they resign Horton or someone else, I don't see them taking on Briere's cap. The only have a little more than 7 million in space next year and they have to resign Rask and Horton or find his replacement.
They could move Peverely in a deal if needed.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Garbage Goal

I'd like Shattenkirk and would give Couturier for him. Would give Briere for anything of value but hopefully a late first.

Don't suppose we could combine the two and do something around Shattenkirk+1st for Briere+Couturier?

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:52 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
They could move Peverely in a deal if needed.
The decreasing cap though. Briere's 2 seasons after this one, will severely hinder any team that has the resources to spend.

The Blues are the only team IMO that could potentially win the Cup in those 2 seasons that has the ability to add a cap hit like that for a player that is declining. If I'm a team that can spend money, I'm not going to waste that cap hit on a declining vet. If his playoff production starts to decline like his regular season production, then it would be completely worthless for Boston to go for him.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:53 AM
HooliganX2

Trading Shattenkirk is laughable. The Blues have no depth after our 3 NHL starters on right defense. Trading him makes us so much of a worse team.

Trading Cole also makes no sense that would leave our left defense with Jackman, Redden and Russel. Russel has been horrible this season. Redden has been pretty meh as well.

Briere not being able to play center for us very well also has me question why we would be trading for him. We have a lot of younger currently more talented wingers then Briere would be on our roster. I understand he steps up his game in the playoffs but if we traded for him I only see it as players like Dags, Russel, mids picks being available.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I'd like Shattenkirk and would give Couturier for him. Would give Briere for anything of value but hopefully a late first.

Don't suppose we could combine the two and do something around Shattenkirk+1st for Briere+Couturier?
Shattenkirk would leave a gaping hole on our defense, which is why he isn't being moved. Before we got him, we couldn't move the puck to save our lives, and that's how you beat an aggressive forecheck, which you have to do in the West.

Old
Chacal667

I can't see any team trade for briere because of his salary, the flyers will have to buy him out.

Chacal667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Oshie97

If the Blues are looking to add a forward, it would have to be a good center. We have plenty on the wings so I don't see Danny being the target the Blues might be looking at.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:56 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Shattenkirk would leave a gaping hole on our defense, which is why he isn't being moved. Before we got him, we couldn't move the puck to save our lives, and that's how you beat an aggressive forecheck, which you have to do in the West.
I'd be willing to add any of our d for Shatty but that's just me. Of course if you added a Flyers top four guy then the Blues would have to equal it out a little.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:58 AM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Cole, Allen, 4th for Briere, Gervais, 2nd sounds like a decent hockey trade to me. Blues get a much needed offensive boost and a cheap filler Dman. Philly gets a steady young Dman and a potential #1 goalie.

heusy_79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:59 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
The decreasing cap though. Briere's 2 seasons after this one, will severely hinder any team that has the resources to spend.

The Blues are the only team IMO that could potentially win the Cup in those 2 seasons that has the ability to add a cap hit like that for a player that is declining. If I'm a team that can spend money, I'm not going to waste that cap hit on a declining vet. If his playoff production starts to decline like his regular season production, then it would be completely worthless for Boston to go for him.
Possible. But even last season and prior, his playoff numbers were better then his season numbers.

He probably takes the season off, and then turns the switch on and plays during the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Trading Shattenkirk is laughable. The Blues have no depth after our 3 NHL starters on right defense. Trading him makes us so much of a worse team.

Trading Cole also makes no sense that would leave our left defense with Jackman, Redden and Russel. Russel has been horrible this season. Redden has been pretty meh as well.

Briere not being able to play center for us very well also has me question why we would be trading for him. We have a lot of younger currently more talented wingers then Briere would be on our roster. I understand he steps up his game in the playoffs but if we traded for him I only see it as players like Dags, Russel, mids picks being available.
Understandable at the Shatty.

Offensively, he's best at Center.

Defensively, he's a train wreck.

We have no need for anything you just listed. We likely make poor trade partners, if that's all that's on the table.

Quote:
Understandable. But do you at least get why Homer is reportedly asking for Shattenkirk with the shape of our defense?

Old
02-27-2013, 11:59 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
I'd be willing to add any of our d for Shatty but that's just me. Of course if you added a Flyers top four guy then the Blues would have to equal it out a little.
None of Philly's D could fill Shatty's role, so it still doesn't matter.

We would need a top 4 caliber PMD who can play on the right side, which you don't have.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:01 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal667 View Post
I can't see any team trade for briere because of his salary, the flyers will have to buy him out.
Yeah, that's just off base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
If the Blues are looking to add a forward, it would have to be a good center. We have plenty on the wings so I don't see Danny being the target the Blues might be looking at.
But yet, reports have all been around Briere.

Quote:
The Blues wouldn't. It's looking like Shattenkirk is a dream. =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
Cole, Allen, 4th for Briere and Gervais sounds like a decent hockey trade to me. Blues get a much needed offensive boost and a cheap filler Dman. Philly gets a steady young Dman and a potential #1 goalie.
That's looking like something I could get behind. But I doubt the Blues would be up for something like that.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:01 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:
If Boston was going to acquire Briere, I'm sure they are thinking they will either trade him in the off-season, or use an amnesty buyout. I don't think Boston will be using any amnesty buyouts otherwise.

And the Bruins have 7 million, but also can use Savard's LTIR money, so they actually have 11ish.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote