Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2013, 09:40 AM
Sonny Crockett

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin794 View Post
Who ordered the clown?

-I'll agree that shutting down the first line is the key to stopping Saginaw (as with any young team). But after that, I can hear the circus music.
Just stating the facts so I'll just consider the source and ignor your homer comments because apparently you have no idea what your talking about looking through the rose colored glasses. Order another cup of kool aid!

Old
02-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Crockett View Post
Just stating the facts so I'll just consider the source and ignor your homer comments because apparently you have no idea what your talking about looking through the rose colored glasses. Order another cup of kool aid!
I call it like I see it, no rose colored glasses here. I just thought there were some holes in your original post that made me question whether you've seen this team all year or not.

1) Last night was their single worst performance of the year. They mailed it in, half-a**ed it, etc. Combine that with the fact that they did that against Plymouth and you get what happened last night. However, I don't think one game is representitive of what we'll see out of Saginaw the rest of the year. They've beaten too quality teams for me to say that they'll fall over and die they rest of the way. They will cool down some. But last night is not what will continue the rest of the way.

2) Ringuette is not a train wreck. He's OK, not great, not a guy I want to build my defense around but OK. He had (along with everyone else) a very poor game. Again I'm not going to call him a train wreck after one very very bad game. And in three years while Ringuette has never finished very high in the plus he has never finished in the minus. So again he's OK, but by no means is he a train wreck.

3) Glass is not great and it shows, but he had to play since Webermin was out again.

4) 4 players are -10 or more. Lopez (scratch), Addison (Rookie), Sutch (third line), and Perklin (scratch). In fact of all the players that are in the minus playing for Saginaw this year (8 total) 5 are rookies. The other 3 are Trafford (should be cut after this year), Sutch (gone after this year), and Perklin (questionable if we should keep him). I think it would be hard to find alot of teams that have rookies that are in the plus on an 8th place team.

5) If you wanted to bring up a point why not bring up the fact that Sutch is playing on the PP. Why? He has no offensive game, and it shows as our PP has been in free fall. But you probably wouldn't know that since you haven't seen Saginaw play.

Don't bring the weak s**t.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:27 AM
bcspirit

Quote:
How many players are -10 or more on this team?
There are only four players -10 or more and of those the only D-man is Lopez, the others are Sutch, Addison, Perklin. The four D-men who are minus are Glass, Shaw, Subban, and Lopez of those Shaw and Glass are both minus from their former teams Shaw has been +6 and Glass has been even since their trades. They were flat outplayed last night they refused to lay the body on anyone and allowed their former teammate all the time and space he wanted and he made them pay. It is not the end of the world and they will play better in the next game all teams have an off night and they just looked disinterested last night and played tentative when they have been successful they have taken the play to their opponents. I am sure you have an axe to grind about some player or former player on the roster so nothing anyone types is going to cause you to temper your hatred for the management and projecting it on the kids.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:26 AM
Sonny Crockett

Quote:
I call it like I see it, no rose colored glasses here. I just thought there were some holes in your original post that made me question whether you've seen this team all year or not.
Like yourself I have seen the team play all year. Maybe I'm not thorough enough and a little too critical about certain things but I'm not going to sugarcoat everything. I addressed the Sutch situation in a previous post so there is no need to revisit that subject. I did have to question your evaluation of Ringuette considering you compared him to Walch and at this time I just don't see it. In three seasons he has not played much. Considering the circumstances this team has done well.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Quote:
I did have to question your evaluation of Ringuette considering you compared him to Walch and at this time I just don't see it. In three seasons he has not played much. Considering the circumstances this team has done well.
When I compared Ringuette to Walch I said his playing style is similar. He isn't as good as Walch was but they have similar styles. Not offensively gifted nor are they big hitters or puck movers. They use postioning as their strong point.

For other reference I'd compare Young to Brodie in terms of playing style, not overall skill.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:03 AM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Great job by Saginaw last night to take advantage of an opportunity to bury Windsor. Locke was on fire again (3g, 2a). He had to amazing plays that really stood out. 1) He had a bullet pass cross ice on the PP that hit Ross dead on the stick and into the net. That was an NHL pass. Just beautiful. 2) Then his second goal was an absolute bomb. Fires a laser from just above the face off circle and over Pavelka's left shoulder. Absolutely no chance for him to save it.

And one last thing: I applaud you Boughner. It takes real class to goon it up when you're down 7-3. Only schmucks leave the ice with their dignity intact. I mean any coach can get control of his team and have them play cool and collected but it takes quite a coach to let his players turn the game into MMA match every time they are losing by a wide margin. Go and have your players act like idiots. That takes skill to coach them up like that. Way to send a message coach. You are the best. I wish I was like you.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:44 PM
Sonny Crockett

Great game today for the boys unfortunately a tough hard fought loss against London. Glad to see Webermin, who's been a healthy scratch for no reason at all, back on the ice, the use of D-men is definately not making sense at this point. Who's a healthy scratch and who's not seems to be biased or maybe its just a coincidence. My prediction is as follows... this year Saginaw traded away two American players. By the start of next season or trade deadline if there are any American players remaining it will only be Lodge!

Old
02-25-2013, 07:43 AM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

2 points over the weekend in 3 games. At first one might think that's not great, but I was thinking 2 or 3 points would be great for this weekend. Good win on Friday. The first line only had on point, but surprisingly we still won because alot of secondary players scored in that game. Owen Sound game was fourty minutes of hockey and London was a well played game, they just ran into a better team.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:06 AM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

What are your overall impressions of Justin Kea this year?

Old
02-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNintendoChalmrs View Post
What are your overall impressions of Justin Kea this year?
He has become a solid two way player this year.

What he has improved

-Skating/Puck Handling: He doesn't look as clumsy with the puck this year. Seems more comfortable with the puck on his stick.

-Defense: He just seems to be in the right postion most of the time and gives up the body to block shots.

-Offense: He's gone from 7 goals, 20 points and -9 in the last 2 years to 20 goals, 45 points, and +12 this year. The biggest possible upside to Justin is his offense, IF he can utilize his size.

What he still needs to work on

-Using his size: Alot of the time it just looks like he seems to forget the size he has and doesn't use it.

-Faceoffs: Just needs to start winning more of them

Overall I'd say I could see him as a 3rd line guy who plays solid D, but who can also chip in with the occasional point when needed at the next level. Just a good depth piece on a team.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:49 AM
clearwater

Quote:

What he has improved

-Skating/Puck Handling: He doesn't look as clumsy with the puck this year. Seems more comfortable with the puck on his stick.

-Defense: He just seems to be in the right postion most of the time and gives up the body to block shots.

-Offense: He's gone from 7 goals, 20 points and -9 in the last 2 years to 20 goals, 45 points, and +12 this year. The biggest possible upside to Justin is his offense, IF he can utilize his size.

-Using his size: Alot of the time it just looks like he seems to forget the size he has and doesn't use it.

Overall I'd say I could see him as a 3rd line guy who plays solid D, but who can also chip in with the occasional point when needed at the next level. Just a good depth piece on a team.
I couldn't agree with you more, you are right on with Kea. He needs to work on his faceoffs, he loses 90% and the line never starts with puck control. He needs to also improve his vision and puck moving, holds onto it to long when his wingers are open. I also see him strickley as a third line shut down defensive centreman.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:12 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwater View Post
I couldn't agree with you more, you are right on with Kea. He needs to work on his faceoffs, he loses 90% and the line never starts with puck control. He needs to also improve his vision and puck moving, holds onto it to long when his wingers are open. I also see him strickley as a third line shut down defensive centreman.
Every time I've seen Kea play I've come away impressed, I would love for the Petes to try and acquire him in the offseason as he is from around Peterborough!

Old
02-27-2013, 02:10 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Matt Rupert has been suspended 10 games for his hit on Steven Strong on Sunday. Here's a video of the hit:

http://www.mobypicture.com/user/Jero.../view/14871197

Seems about right.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:37 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Quote:

What he has improved

Thanks for the comments.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:42 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Matt Rupert has been suspended 10 games for his hit on Steven Strong on Sunday. Here's a video of the hit:

http://www.mobypicture.com/user/Jero.../view/14871197

Seems about right.
Not according to Spits fans

Matt was stupid and earned that 10 gamer. Im glad Strong wasnt injured with the dumb hit.

An early start to PO annimosity?

Old
02-28-2013, 02:16 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
An early start to PO annimosity?
Maybe. I think there is still some annimosity leftover from last year (at least for Saginaw fans). There was London throwing water bottles on the ice at the end of game 2. Then London complained about Saginaw's tradtion of throwing Walleye onto the ice during the playoffs. Interesting to note that the first game Rupert can return is game 2 of the playoffs, which would be in Saginaw. That could get ugly.

Old
03-01-2013, 03:26 PM
clearwater

Quote:
Maybe. I think there is still some annimosity leftover from last year (at least for Saginaw fans). There was London throwing water bottles on the ice at the end of game 2. Then London complained about Saginaw's tradtion of throwing Walleye onto the ice during the playoffs. Interesting to note that the first game Rupert can return is game 2 of the playoffs, which would be in Saginaw. That could get ugly.
Interesting!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...eport/1955773/

Old
03-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Congrats to Eric Locke on being named player of month.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:32 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

With their 5-3 win against Guelph tonight, Saginaw has eliminated Windsor from the playoffs and clinched their spot in the post season.

Old
03-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Sad news today. Paul Wendler, the man that helped bring hockey to Saginaw in the 70's and again with the Saginaw Spirit (along with Wren Blair, who passed away either this year), passed away today.

I remember before the Spirit when I was little my dad telling me stories about how he went to Gears games back in the day and watching them win a championship. Hockey and more specifically the Saginaw Spirit, has always been one of those things that me and him have shared. When Saginaw got a team all I could think of was those stories and how much I wanted to see a live hockey team for myself. I might never have been interested in the Saginaw Spirit or hockey at all without Paul Wendler and the Saginaw Gears. So yes, I owe him (and Mr. Blair) a debt of gratitude.

RIP Mr. Wendler and Mr. Blair.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:26 PM
WhalerBlue

Did you guys know that you are in the playoffs against London in the first round? Where are my Spirit fans?

Old
03-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerBlue View Post
Did you guys know that you are in the playoffs against London in the first round? Where are my Spirit fans?
Mostly on the Saginaw Spirit forum.

http://talkspirit.proboards.com/inde...=newestthreads

I did a whole playoff preview on there. I'll repost it below. I'm the only one from Saginaw that really post on here so I mainly stick to posting there.

First Round matchup preview
Opponent- London Knights

Season Series-
L 8-2 @London (Jan 4th)
W 5-2 @home (Jan 12th)
L 3-2 OT @London (Feb 24th)
L 3-2 OT @home (Mar 16th)

Playoff series schedule-
Game 1: @London, Fri. Mar. 22nd, 7:30
Game 2: @London, Sun. Mar. 24th, 2:00
Game 3: Home, Tue. Mar. 26th, 7:11
Game 4: Home, Thurs. Mar. 28th, 7:11
Game 5*: @London, Fri. Mar. 29th, 7:30
Game 6*: Home, Sun. Mar. 31st, 7:11
Game 7*: @London, Tue. Apr. 2nd, 7:00
*=If necessary

Side by side comparison
GF: London-279, Saginaw-250
GA: London-180, Saginaw-264
PP: London-25.1%, Saginaw-17.9%
PK: London-83.2% (10 SHG), Saginaw-77% (16 SHG, Led the league)
PIM: London-1027, Saginaw-1078
Goal Leader: London-Max Domi (39), Saginaw-Eric Locke, Garret Ross (44)
Assist Leader: London-Max Domi, Seth Griffith (48), Saginaw-Eric Locke (57)
Point Leader: London-Max Domi (87), Saginaw-Eric Locke (97)
Plus/Minus Leader: London-Max Domi, Nikita Zadorov (+33), Saginaw-Eric Locke (+37, new Spirit single season record)

Prediction
I think we are even with them in terms of special teams (when you factor in the SHG) and goaltending, but they are clearly deeper than us so this will give them the offensive edge. There are also much better than us on D. This means that we have to capitalize on the few chances we get and limit mental mistakes because London will make you pay for it. That being said, London is not an overly physical team, which helps the Spirit. I think we match up very well with this team. If we can get solid production, a goal a game, from the lower lines, we can make their depth a non point. But getting this from a large group of guys that don't have alot of playoff experience will be a tough task

I'll take London in 7

Last edited by SnS: 03-28-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old
03-21-2013, 09:41 AM
bcspirit

This series is a tough one I believe that Saginaw can make a series of it but the difference is Saginaw relies heavily on their top two lines to generate their offense and London has four lines who are dangerous and can make this a short series. The X-factor is whether our big game goaltender can get in the zone and limit his mistakes and control his rebounds and his defense in front of him can clear out bodies and limit the second and third opportunities on shots. The only potential weakness in London could be their question mark at goalie can Stolarz be the guy or does the series become Patterson vs Paterson, if it comes down to a goalie battle like last year I am inclined to lean towards one t Paterson as he seems to relish the spotlight. That being said as much as I want the Spirit to do well if they come back to the Dow down 2-0 and not playing their A game for a full 60 this could be a quikie for London if the young guys can steal one in London early they could ride that confidence boost and make this a tough well played series. I hope I am wrong but my feeling is either way this series is going to be won by London as the series goes on they will wear down the Spirit or they will just overwhelm them from the first puck drop. I just hope the boys can continue to prove everyone wrong like they did by making the playoffs after every "expert" said they did not stand a chance after not having Trochek for half the season. Lets get the playoffs started already though enough predicting and fan perspectives lets see what happens on the ice in the toughest conference in the OHL.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:25 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Mostly on the Saginaw Spirit forum.

http://talkspirit.proboards.com/inde...=newestthreads

I did a whole playoff preview on there. I'll repost it below. I'm the only one from Saginaw (other than that nut job Sonny) that really post on here so I mainly stick to posting there.

First Round matchup preview
Opponent- London Knights

Season Series-
L 8-2 @London (Jan 4th)
W 5-2 @home (Jan 12th)
L 3-2 OT @London (Feb 24th)
L 3-2 OT @home (Mar 16th)

Playoff series schedule-
Game 1: @London, Fri. Mar. 22nd, 7:30
Game 2: @London, Sun. Mar. 24th, 2:00
Game 3: Home, Tue. Mar. 26th, 7:11
Game 4: Home, Thurs. Mar. 28th, 7:11
Game 5*: @London, Fri. Mar. 29th, 7:30
Game 6*: Home, Sun. Mar. 31st, 7:11
Game 7*: @London, Tue. Apr. 2nd, 7:00
*=If necessary

Side by side comparison
GF: London-279, Saginaw-250
GA: London-180, Saginaw-264
PP: London-25.1%, Saginaw-17.9%
PK: London-83.2% (10 SHG), Saginaw-77% (16 SHG, Led the league)
PIM: London-1027, Saginaw-1078
Goal Leader: London-Max Domi (39), Saginaw-Eric Locke, Garret Ross (44)
Assist Leader: London-Max Domi, Seth Griffith (48), Saginaw-Eric Locke (57)
Point Leader: London-Max Domi (87), Saginaw-Eric Locke (97)
Plus/Minus Leader: London-Max Domi, Nikita Zadorov (+33), Saginaw-Eric Locke (+37, new Spirit single season record)

Prediction
I think we are even with them in terms of special teams (when you factor in the SHG) and goaltending, but they are clearly deeper than us so this will give them the offensive edge. There are also much better than us on D. This means that we have to capitalize on the few chances we get and limit mental mistakes because London will make you pay for it. That being said, London is not an overly physical team, which helps the Spirit. I think we match up very well with this team. If we can get solid production, a goal a game, from the lower lines, we can make their depth a non point. But getting this from a large group of guys that don't have alot of playoff experience will be a tough task

I'll take London in 7
So with the comparison by numbers and the fact that we are #1 seed and you are the #8 seed you think London in 7? Wow. I honestly think you should be hoping to win a game, never mind be in a close series. There is a reason we (yet again) eclipsed the 50 win mark 100pt mark and it has a lot to do with our depth, but so much more. Last year Houser won us a lot of games. This year we have no Houser, so I'd almost suggest the players are even better. Most returned from the trip to the memorial cup....and they know what it takes to get there again.
Sorry, but I don't agree with your prediction (good for you for being optimistic) and due to that, I also wonder who the nutjob in Saginaw really is

Old
03-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
So with the comparison by numbers and the fact that we are #1 seed and you are the #8 seed you think London in 7? Wow. I honestly think you should be hoping to win a game, never mind be in a close series. There is a reason we (yet again) eclipsed the 50 win mark 100pt mark and it has a lot to do with our depth, but so much more. Last year Houser won us a lot of games. This year we have no Houser, so I'd almost suggest the players are even better. Most returned from the trip to the memorial cup....and they know what it takes to get there again.
Sorry, but I don't agree with your prediction (good for you for being optimistic) and due to that, I also wonder who the nutjob in Saginaw really is
What does the have to do with anything? 2011 playoffs: Sudbury over Ottawa in 4. 7 over 2. It can happen. And a young up and coming London team took the Owen Sound Attack to 6 games. I'm tired of this holier than thou garbage. Like Saginaw should just be happy to be stepping onto the same ice as the Mighty London Knights and the god that invented hockey, Dale Hunter. Do I think Saginaw will win the series? No. But I don't think we are going to lay down an die so as not to inconvenience your preordained trip to the memorial cup.

Closed Thread