Mikael Granlund V

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 11:46 AM
roon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhinn View Post
The most important game to evaluate Granlund as an NHL player, will be the season opener next year. If he has bulked up, then he'll be just fine, if not, there is not much of a future for him in the league. Most small players are very strong for their size, while Granlund is just as weak as he looks. He wins about 1 in 20 battles along the boards, and if the opponent gets a slight deflection on the puck when MG is handling it, he is never strong enough to battle possesion back.
Brodin is all of what? 175 pounds? Granlund doesn't need to bulk up as much as he needs to learn to position himself and use his body. He just needs more experience.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:53 AM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by roon View Post
Brodin is all of what? 175 pounds? Granlund doesn't need to bulk up as much as he needs to learn to position himself and use his body. He just needs more experience.
Brodin is also the best skating player on the wild.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:54 AM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee View Post
Oh man thank you for putting things into perspective. Plus, these are really comparable situations for the two of them...man I guess the conclusion I have to come to here is that Granlund isn't as good as Sheppard.
I guess you aren't one of those that will now realize that Granlund has been terrible so far, especially considering his high expectations. Instead more of the same comes out--excuses.

You're right, the comparison was pretty unfair to Sheppard. Granlund has over a year in age on him with years of pro experience on two continents.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
I guess you aren't one of those that will now realize that Granlund has been terrible so far, especially considering his high expectations. Instead more of the same comes out--excuses.

You're right, the comparison was pretty unfair to Sheppard. Granlund has over a year in age on him with years of pro experience on two continents.
Would you trade Granlund for Sheppard straight-up right now?

Old
02-27-2013, 12:08 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Yeah...this whole idea that Granlund needs to bulk up and get stronger is ridiculous...Look at guys like Patrick Kane. He's all of what? 5'10" 180?

It's all about knowing where to be on the ice and when to be there, that way you don't NEED to fight through checks or battle on the boards.

Last edited by MuckOG: 02-27-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old
02-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Henri M

Quote:

I do not think you have actually been watching him play.... What excuses though? Only thing I've heard is that he says he needs to improve in the areas he is improving. And that his linemates have mainly been garbage, which is mostly true.

Also, Brodin looks good, but still his points are kind of missing. 15 games 3 assists and +- 0. Not really that impressive on paper atleast.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:08 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M View Post
I do not think you have actually been watching him play.... What excuses though? Only thing I've heard is that he says he needs to improve in the areas he is improving. And that his linemates have mainly been garbage, which is mostly true.

Also, Brodin looks good, but still his points are kind of missing. 15 games 3 assists and +- 0. Not really that impressive on paper atleast.
:h elp:

umm he's freaking 19 years old, 2nd in rookei TOI gets barely any PP time and he shuts down top lines but thats not good enough? holy **** dude.

For others saying Granlund needs to bulk up, here is the thing, he doesn't need to be ripped like hulk, he needs to be strong so he doesn't get knocked around. Brodin is an excellent skater, one of the best in the whole league he uses his ability to move around the ice to his advantage in addition to his smarts. Kane is also an explosive skater who has quite a bit of his physical deficiency covered up by a stacked team.

If Granlund can't skate that well and he can't, he will need to rely on strength to win battles and so far he hasn't looked like he is there yet.

This isn't as simple as Player Y = x lbs and Player Z= xish pounds so its not his weight that's the issue. One example is Marty St. Loius, he's not heavy he's STRONG.

Last edited by forthewild: 02-27-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old
02-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Henri M

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
:h elp:

umm he's freaking 19 years old, 2nd in rookei TOI gets barely any PP time and he shuts down top lines but thats not good enough? holy **** dude.

I did not say that did I? Just making an observation. Holy freaking overreaction

Old
02-27-2013, 03:18 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:

So, so, are you saying you wish we had Shep and not Granlund

You watch Granlund on the ice when he's playing, right? You see his puck control right? His shot? Have you seen how he has changed his play in even just the few games we have played so far this season?

If you don't see any of these things, man, whew...I've got nothin' for ya

Old
02-27-2013, 03:20 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:

Did you see him shut down Iginla last game? One of the strongest dudes in the entire NHL, shut him right down, and even absorbed a check from Iggy at one point, and knocked HIM on his ass in doing so. You saw this right?

Yeah... He's fine, but..but...

Old
02-27-2013, 03:24 PM
forthewild

Quote:
I did not say that did I? Just making an observation. Holy freaking overreaction
actually you did, you said he's not that impressive on paper, but all the stats that are tracked for Dman say that he is that impressive on paper, he's just not that impressive in the beloved G+A category.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:24 PM
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3

Quote:
Everyone cant play or be like Karlsson..

Somebody has to do the other jobs aswell... An Brodin is a beast at it..

(Imagine when he starts to produce)

Old
02-27-2013, 04:01 PM
Kellyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Yeah...this whole idea that Granlund needs to bulk up and get stronger is ridiculous...Look at guys like Patrick Kane. He's all of what? 5'10" 180?

It's all about knowing where to be on the ice and when to be there, that way you don't NEED to fight through checks or battle on the boards.
If you are the one holding the puck you can only do so much positionally. Most of the time you can only outskate or outmuscle your opponent. Kane is ridiculous with his skates and can get away from people, Granlund cannot. He definately needs to bulk up because he is not fast enough to do what Kane does.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:15 PM
JJTT

Granlund doesn't need to bulk up to 205+ pounds. He needs to add muscle to his legs and that way gain some more lower body strength to improve his balance. He also needs to work on his skating and try to make it more explosive. When he has worked on all this then he can start worrying about bulking up and taking roids or something.. Maybe after next season or so

Old
02-27-2013, 04:47 PM
Henri M

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
he's just not that impressive in the beloved G+A category.
Which was kind of what I said...
I never intended to suggest that he has not been really good for the Wild.

Old
02-27-2013, 05:04 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Would you trade Granlund for Sheppard straight-up right now?
Of course not, and it's not the point either.

Quote:

The excuses are that he only needs to learn this or bulk up that or improve this area. But we're talking key areas like skating, size, or hockey smarts. Players don't just learn them with ease. We're giving Granlund so much leeway. He'll make one good, routine play per game and then fans will be like everything will be fine with him. Everything is not fine with him. We should be extremely concerned that he currently isn't outproducing a bust like Shep. That's not a bar he should be fighting to clear. Not for one of the prospects counted on to turn this franchise around.

Brodin is a defensive defensemen and playing that role very well. No worries about a lack of offense at this stage.

Old
02-27-2013, 05:24 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Which was kind of what I said...
I never intended to suggest that he has not been really good for the Wild.
So what was the point of pointing at the G+A categories when all of us know the deal? You made the effort to post your observation with no intent of any kind, positive or negative?

Why do I find that hard to believe on a message board ...

Old
02-27-2013, 06:02 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

FWIW I'd like to see more production out of Brodin as well. Not that I expect it or am disappointed, but he hasn't had a point in a couple weeks.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Joona

In 9 months he will be so much better player for Wild. I can promise he will be awesome next season.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:38 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Sounds good to me.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:35 PM
Doobz89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
FWIW I'd like to see more production out of Brodin as well. Not that I expect it or am disappointed, but he hasn't had a point in a couple weeks.
Lol Brodins been stellar and more steady than anyone else on the team. How many goals have the wild scored in the past couple weeks. LOL

Old
02-27-2013, 10:01 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
Brodin is also the best skating player on the wild.
And don't want to jinx the poor kid but he's already an elite skating defenseman in the entire league.

Think Bouwmeester type skating or a poor mans Niedermeyer skating..

He is that good on his feet folks.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:03 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SphinX View Post
Everyone cant play or be like Karlsson..

Somebody has to do the other jobs aswell... An Brodin is a beast at it..

(Imagine when he starts to produce)

When he breaks out offensively he will find himself in the elite company as far as defenseman goes. The rest of his game is that good already...and will only improve. Add a more refined offensive game.

We hit the jack pot.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Beegoalie

Back to Granny..im not sure Bouchard is who I would have picked to play on his wing but hey its better than Rupp and Mitchell and certainly he should get at least 12 minutes now...

Old
02-27-2013, 11:10 PM
Dampland
YEO must GO

THE FACT IS I have never said, nor do I want Granlund to "fail". Search everyone of my posts and you will not find one where I say I want him to fail.

I just can't believe that so many of you keep making excuses for the kid. (It's yeo's fault, its the other linemates fault, its the system's fault, etc.) The fact is the kid is NOT producing like so many of you were adament he would. Apparently my pointing out that he is not the superstar thus far that everyone guaranteed makes me a "hater", when I'm really just being realistic.

All the other Wild players seemed to get ripped on when they play poorly, but if someone dares point out Granlund's poor play, repeated offsides, etc. it is treated like you mother was slapped in the face. He may be your Finnish Baby Jesus, but he still is just as open for criticism as Heatley, Koivu, Cullen, etc.

The reality at this point in his career is that Granlund was over-hyped and over-rated prior to coming to the NHL about how good he would be in the NHL. And contrary to what some posters said, I actually DID watch Granlund play quite a bit before he joined the Wild, and based on what I saw, I felt he would struggle in the NHL. Being small, weak, and not fast is NOT a good combination for the NHL. Sure it worked for him in Finland, but that is a different league and different size rinks.

I WANT THE KID TO SUCCEED, because he plays for the Wild. But at this point, I feel the best thing for him is to play in he AHL. He needs to get more time playing top minutes in the AHL, where he can hopefully get better acclimated to the NHL style. But my prediction is sadly that with his skill set, Granlund will to continue to struggle in North America unless he spends some significant time in the AHL first.

Closed Thread