HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

All-Encompassing Tortorella/Sather Thread

View Poll Results: A quarter of the way through the 2013 season, do you approve or disapprove of Torts?
Approve 168 50.45%
Disapprove 165 49.55%
Voters: 333. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 10:18 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Torts doesn't appear to know how to adjust to his personnel. It appears he is trying to jam (no pun intended) his system into the players without regard for their talents. This is like a hitting coach who tries to make everyone swing the bat the same way no matter how each player like to approach hitting. That is a recipe for disaster. He needs to adjust and soon or we will not make the playoffs. And with this roster, he will deserve to be fired.
I wonder, is it really a case of not knowing how to change...or being too afraid to change?

You have a system that gets you tops in the Eastern Conference and within one win of the Stanley Cup final. Your team gets the Vezina, have other guys in the top 5 for Norris, Jack Adams, etc....

We all know the system does need to bend to accomodate the additional skill, but it's not as easy as it sounds on paper. It would take a lot of balls to just up and change out a system that had that much success.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:20 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

vCash: 500
With the injuries, the lack of training camp, the roster turnover (including the massive amounts of youth on the squad) I'm fairly positive that Torts will get the benefit of the doubt for this season, AT LEAST.

Those calling for his head are going to be disappointed.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:21 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It doesn't matter who the coach is. The knocks are consistently the same: stifling creativity, playing not to lose rather than play to win. And other vague complaints.
Complaints with zero viable solutions. Not even a replacement for those who want Torts gone 18 games after being a Jack Adams finalist.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:42 AM
Ice Hockey

I disapprove with some things which he's somewhat corrected- like using 4th liners on the PP unit, switching up the line combos so often and the way he gives out (and takes away) ice time to/from certain players. a lot of how the season has been going falls on the players. SOME of this is on torts. as of now i do not approve but i'm not calling for his head.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:05 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Torts is worse then renney with a ton more talent , give the professor this line up and we would be ok.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:10 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Torts is worse then renney with a ton more talent , give the professor this line up and we would be ok.
This reminds me one poster said something to the effect of: "Renney needed Avery to fire up the team, Torts does that himself".

Based on the number of players playing to their potential, I'd say Torts needs Avery .

Though, I support Torts like I did Renney. The "rah-rah" part of coaching is incredibly overrated, IMO.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:10 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

at some point each of you torts fanboys needs to ask yourself these questions ?

even when healthy, does this team play with passion. does this team ever dictate play. does this team dominate its opponent ? does this team play with purpose ? does this team scare its opponent on the pp ? does this team play exciting hockey ?

or does this team look listless. does this team just react and backup ? does this team frequently look overmatched ? does this team look clueless ? does the pp scare you ? does this team play excrutiatingly boring hockey ?

its not like we dont have talent. we do. we just dont use it properly.

time for a change.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

Old
02-27-2013, 01:05 PM
rvdnsx

Lindy Ruff

Any chance of him being the next head coach? If we continue sliding when Nash, McDonagh and DZ return, how willing would Slats be to try a different coaching approach with Lindy Ruff? Maybe Torts just isn't getting through to the guys anymore, and a new voice can amp up the guys. If anything else, if our PP improves to a decent number that could easily steal us at least a couple wins.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:11 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdnsx View Post
Any chance of him being the next head coach? If we continue sliding when Nash, McDonagh and DZ return, how willing would Slats be to try a different coaching approach with Lindy Ruff? Maybe Torts just isn't getting through to the guys anymore, and a new voice can amp up the guys. If anything else, if our PP improves to a decent number that could easily steal us at least a couple wins.
Prolly tmrw.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:14 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
John Tortorella says camerman's cell phone going off 3x in presser takes the coach out of next 3 press conferences. Should be interesting
- NYDNRangers

Listen, I hate people who don't turn off their cell phones for meetings as much as the next person, but jeez, talk about an overreaction from Torts. What an asshat.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:22 PM
Krams
Carpe dizzem

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
- NYDNRangers

Listen, I hate people who don't turn off their cell phones for meetings as much as the next person, but jeez, talk about an overreaction from Torts. What an asshat.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:33 PM
NYRKindms

Quote:
- NYDNRangers

I really think this kind of stuff shows more about his character then anything. He has a job to do. Part of that job is interacting with the press.

I think he is just a bully. I think that is part of the reason the players seem to be holding their stick so tightly. One false move and they get stapled to the bench. I think they are more concerned with pissing off their coach vs. playing hockey.

Seriously. Your phone went off 3x and now I won't do 3 pressers ? Is he for real ? Is he even an adult ?

Old
02-27-2013, 03:08 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
The "system" brought us success to a point. But we died, almost literally, in the playoffs. We have Rick Nash now. Torts needs to allow for some mistakes in the interest of increasing our scoring chances. If he doesn't we will lose alot.
Just quoting this for the lolz.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:30 PM
Dorado*

I wish for every game he managed the bench and they had a too many men penalty we all got refunds on our tickets or cable bills . The cell phone thing is positively absurd . What a tool bag .

Old
02-27-2013, 05:32 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
- NYDNRangers

Did he really say he was going to not do 3 press conferences?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalomania

02-27-2013, 05:38 PM
Heyoooo*

I wonder what Torts blood pressure is?

Last edited by JeffMangum: 02-27-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old
02-27-2013, 05:39 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

How is it that the PP has gotten worst each year, when the talent has progressively been good?

Old
02-27-2013, 05:40 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Just watched the presser, the phone was quite annoying. They cut out before any mention of refusing to do three pressers tho

Old
02-27-2013, 05:43 PM
Heyoooo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
How is it that the PP has gotten worst each year, when the talent has progressively been good?

Coaching.

Its not as if the PP personnel are like Magneto without his mask once they get on Garden ice.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:24 PM
benneyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
at some point each of you torts fanboys needs to ask yourself these questions ?

even when healthy, does this team play with passion. does this team ever dictate play. does this team dominate its opponent ? does this team play with purpose ? does this team scare its opponent on the pp ? does this team play exciting hockey ?

or does this team look listless. does this team just react and backup ? does this team frequently look overmatched ? does this team look clueless ? does the pp scare you ? does this team play excrutiatingly boring hockey ?

its not like we dont have talent. we do. we just dont use it properly.

time for a change.
Well put, ODC. I'm pretty firmly in the Torts Should Go Camp as well by now. Tawnos' post with the cumulative .500 record since mid last year is particularly damning.

Plus, to me, Torts seems one of the most inflexible coaches, horrible at in-game adjustments, and treats nearly all players with the same approach. A good coach adapts his philosophy and tactics to the talent he has. Torts, not so much.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:32 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

The press conference thing is hilarious. 3 years here and you guys still don't get how he operates. If things are rough with the team, he's going to try to divert some media attention away from them and to himself so the guys on the ice can better focus. He doesn't care if he looks like an ass doing it.

It isn't megalomania and it's not ego. It's good off ice coaching. There are plenty of things with him I'm unsatisfied with. This is one thing I'm fine on.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:36 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
The press conference thing is hilarious. 3 years here and you guys still don't get how he operates. If things are rough with the team, he's going to try to divert some media attention away from them and to himself so the guys on the ice can better focus. He doesn't care if he looks like an ass doing it.

It isn't megalomania and it's not ego. It's good off ice coaching. There are plenty of things with him I'm unsatisfied with. This is one thing I'm fine on.
Good point, I agree.

This team needs media attention like Lindsay Lohan needs cocaine...takes the pressure away just a little bit, definitely can help calm down the team. It draws attention away from them, and it makes the writers/fans focus on attacking Tortorella rather than his struggling team.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
02-28-2013, 01:26 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post

No, not really. It's more a case that he really is emotional and hot-tempered, which just happens to have a slight side benefit of diverting the attention of some members of the media and public.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:18 AM
Deric

I don't believe for a second he's acting like a clown at the pc for the sake of the team. It's bc his ego is out of control.
He's like a bad parent coaching little league with the team. One guy does the slightest thing wrong and he's glued to the bench, while Boyle who is a garbage player can do no wrong in Tort's eyes.
Although I would like it, I don't see him getting fired this year. The only thing that may happen is Uncle Glen sending him a message by firing Sullivan or trading Boyle for nothing.

Closed Thread