HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

St. Louis - Philadelphia (Briere)

Old
02-27-2013, 12:01 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
None of Philly's D could fill Shatty's role, so it still doesn't matter.

We would need a top 4 caliber PMD who can play on the right side, which you don't have.
PMD is our biggest need, so yes. You're correct.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:02 PM
SirPaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
Cole, Allen, 4th for Briere, Gervais, 2nd sounds like a decent hockey trade to me. Blues get a much needed offensive boost and a cheap filler Dman. Philly gets a steady young Dman and a potential #1 goalie.
We arent trading Allen.

SirPaste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:03 PM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
Yeah I just really want Shatty.

Doesn't help that I'm a Colorado fan too.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
GTopCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
If the Blues are looking to add a forward, it would have to be a good center. We have plenty on the wings so I don't see Danny being the target the Blues might be looking at.
Briere is a center. Brayden is just a lot better at C than the wings so we pushed him out.

GTopCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post
If Boston was going to acquire Briere, I'm sure they are thinking they will either trade him in the off-season, or use an amnesty buyout. I don't think Boston will be using any amnesty buyouts otherwise.

And the Bruins have 7 million, but also can use Savard's LTIR money, so they actually have 11ish.
That's what I was also mulling over.

Trade for Briere for this season.

Flip him in off season or use amnesty buyout in that window.

Also, I forgot Savard wasn't on LTIR.

It's all interesting possibilities.

What could you see Boston moving for Briere?

Old
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
Possible. But even last season and prior, his playoff numbers were better then his season numbers.

He probably takes the season off, and then turns the switch on and plays during the playoffs.

Understandable at the Shatty.

Offensively, he's best at Center.

Defensively, he's a train wreck.

We have no need for anything you just listed. We likely make poor trade partners, if that's all that's on the table.

Understandable. But do you at least get why Homer is reportedly asking for Shattenkirk with the shape of our defense?
If I was Homer I'd do the same thing, but if I was Army, I would laugh in his face.

That would be similar to us saying McDonald costs Couts or Schenn. It's just never going to happen and isn't even close to reality.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
None of Philly's D could fill Shatty's role, so it still doesn't matter.

We would need a top 4 caliber PMD who can play on the right side, which you don't have.
Which is why we need Shatty too. Aggressive forechecking doesn't just exist in the West contrary someone so boldly pointed out a few posts up.

The only way to make this work would be...

Briere + Timonen + Couturier

for Shattenkirk + forward

That's pretty outlandish though including capwise.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:06 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

We can throw in Russell who is great at moving the puck and is feisty for a littler guy. In an offensive system, I think he would thrive even more. His stats won't show it, but I would say he is one of the best at simply moving the puck. He's probably good enough to play on the 2nd pairing with a good partner.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:06 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
We arent trading Allen.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Yeah I just really want Shatty.

Doesn't help that I'm a Colorado fan too.
It's a dream of Flyers fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTopCheese View Post
Briere is a center. Brayden is just a lot better at C then the wings so we pushed him out.
Eh. Debatable. I love Brayden on the wing when he played with Giroux.
Quote:
If I was Homer I'd do the same thing, but if I was Army, I would laugh in his face.

That would be similar to us saying McDonald costs Couts or Schenn. It's just never going to happen and isn't even close to reality.
At least you understand the GM, asking for something he knows he needs. Basically, shooting for the moon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Which is why we need Shatty too. Aggressive forechecking doesn't just exist in the West contrary someone so boldly pointed out a few posts up.

The only way to make this work would be...

Briere + Timonen + Couturier

for Shattenkirk + forward

That's pretty outlandish though including capwise.
Unlikely to happen, even in our dreams.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:08 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
We can throw in Russell who is great at moving the puck and is feisty for a littler guy. In an offensive system, I think he would thrive even more. His stats won't show it, but I would say he is one of the best at simply moving the puck. He's probably good enough to play on the 2nd pairing with a good partner.
Problem is, we don't have a good partner for him. Also, the d-man I would want is Cole coming back. Russell is not enough for Briere, I don't want to hear about the contract anymore. It's just overblown.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:08 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post
If Boston was going to acquire Briere, I'm sure they are thinking they will either trade him in the off-season, or use an amnesty buyout. I don't think Boston will be using any amnesty buyouts otherwise.

And the Bruins have 7 million, but also can use Savard's LTIR money, so they actually have 11ish.
But, when the cap goes down, they don't gain any cap space and have to resign Rask and Horton.

If they use a buyout on Briere, it means they aren't going to give up anything significant for him, which still means St. Louis wouldn't have to give up what Philly would want if they want to move Briere.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:09 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Briere would be a good addition. He's a noted playoff performer.

GordieHoweHatTrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:10 PM
Penosity

Briere is already 35 years old.

Good luck getting anything significant in return.

Penosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:11 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycutt View Post
The actual money paid is not the same as the cap hit. i believe he is owed a combined 5 million the next two seasons. Not bad at all, and his inflated cap hit actually helps the Blues.
It may not sound like that much, but the Blues are far more cash strapped than people realize. Plus Petro, Shattenkirk and Berglund are going to get large pay increases.

Vladys Gumption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...f_address.html

"The Blues are a different story. General manager Doug Armstrong visited Philadelphia for the second time in three home games, and also caught the Flyers in Toronto on Feb. 11.

According to sources, Armstrong has been asking for forward Danny Briere."

The article also says Flyers want Shattenkirk, anybody with half a brain could of told you that.

Clearly it would take more than just Briere to get Shatty but with Briere, what else do you think we need to add?

I think Briere would waive his NMC. The article says Briere said he doesn't see himself playing for anybody else, but that's all business. What else is he supposed to say in that position? I love Danny B but we need his cap space.

EDIT: Flyer fans, please queue the he won't waive due to divorce reasons that everybody loves to use on this site. I just posted the rumor and am speculating what we'd need to add to get Shattenkirk.
Yeah...we all know about the divorce situation but yet he went to play in Germany for half the year during the lockout. I think he would waive if he thought he could win a cup...like STL is in a position to. If it's about $, he will stay, then possibly get bought out, then sign a deal with someone else with a shot at winning.

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:14 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Problem is, we don't have a good partner for him. Also, the d-man I would want is Cole coming back. Russell is not enough for Briere, I don't want to hear about the contract anymore. It's just overblown.
Cole isn't moving, and Russell would just be a throw in from us on top of the actual pieces. Russell/D'Agostini, picks, prospects, stuff like that.

We have Ottawa's 2nd, so if the deal is about gaining cap space, we have pieces to get a deal like that done. We aren't going to move significant cost-controlled assets for someone would not be a top line player with a long future here. That's not how a budget team works. I'll just leave it at that.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:16 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

He has said he wont waive his NTC so whats this thread about??

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416949

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
It may not sound like that much, but the Blues are far more cash strapped than people realize. Plus Petro, Shattenkirk and Berglund are going to get large pay increases.
He saves us money compared to McDonald. It makes sense financially if we are considering resigning McDonald.

Old
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Cole isn't moving, and Russell would just be a throw in from us on top of the actual pieces. Russell/D'Agostini, picks, prospects, stuff like that.

We have Ottawa's 2nd, so if the deal is about gaining cap space, we have pieces to get a deal like that done. We aren't going to move significant cost-controlled assets for someone would not be a top line player with a long future here. That's not how a budget team works. I'll just leave it at that.
We don't need D'Ago. The deal isn't about cap space. We treat 2nd's like they are candy. We don't need those pieces which is what I've said already.

The only real appealing piece you've suggested in that was Russell and that's cause he can move the puck.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:17 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
He has said he wont waive his NTC so whats this thread about??

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416949

So did Simon Gagne.

What happened?

He was dealt to Tampa a day or three later.

It's still something to discuss.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:19 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
We don't need D'Ago. The deal isn't about cap space. We treat 2nd's like they are candy. We don't need those pieces which is what I've said already.

The only real appealing piece you've suggested in that was Russell and that's cause he can move the puck.
That's fine and understandable. I personally think Homer will be wanting to open cap space to make another run a big free agent in the summer. With a declining cap, Briere would have to move IMO. If not that's fine, not like any of our opinions are based on true facts, just personal speculation.

Old
Halak Ness Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
If Holmgren is asking for Shattenkirk out of St. Louis, then he's probably asking for Hamilton out of Boston.

Not that he'll get either, but this is interesting stuff.

Honestly, I'd take Cole+.
You wouldn't even get Cole. Not for Briere.

I don't understand why Flyers fans think Briere has so much value that they can get a 1st and a prospect or a good young roster player plus more.

He is 36 next year, his production has dropped off from 1st to 2nd line production, he plays on the wing nowadays, his cap hit is horrible though the actual money isn't bad.

His only real positive is that he was a great playoff performer in the past. Can we continue to bank on that as his skills deteriorate?

I'd feel happy to get a 2nd and out from under his cap hit.

If the Blues were trading Andy McDonald, a very similar player, I wouldn't expect a 1st or Ian Cole type youngster.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Alklha

I am pretty sure that the Blues interest is only there based on the fact we think we can pick him up on the cheap. Giving up significant assets for Brière doesn't make any sense for the Blues with Jaškin expected to be close to NHL ready for next season and our continued interest in signing Lehterä.

If it isn't the case that he can be had cheap, fair enough, but I think our interest ends.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:20 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
So did Simon Gagne.

What happened?

He was dealt to Tampa a day or three later.

It's still something to discuss.

Fair Point....please continue

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:20 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
That's fine and understandable. I personally think Homer will be wanting to open cap space to make another run a big free agent in the summer. With a declining cap, Briere would have to move IMO. If not that's fine, not like any of our opinions are based on true facts, just personal speculation.
He can be amnesty'd and likely will should he remain on the Flyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
You wouldn't even get Cole. Not for Briere.

I don't understand why Flyers fans think Briere has so much value that they can get a 1st and a prospect or a good young roster player plus more.

He is 36 next year, his production has dropped off from 1st to 2nd line production, he plays on the wing nowadays, his cap hit is horrible though the actual money isn't bad.

His only real positive is that he was a great playoff performer in the past. Can we continue to bank on that as his skills deteriorate?

I'd feel happy to get a 2nd and out from under his cap hit.

If the Blues were trading Andy McDonald, a very similar player, I wouldn't expect a 1st or Ian Cole type youngster.
You mean Montreal wouldn't trade a first for Danny Briere for a playoff push?

Read me a list of players who got a first at last year's trade deadline.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote