HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Value of Morrow

View Poll Results: Do you think Dallas will trade Brenden Morrow?
Yes 28 58.33%
No 20 41.67%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-27-2013, 01:26 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

vCash: 500
Value of Morrow

Since the last value thread resulted in the player being traded just a few weeks later it seems it's time to start this one.

There's been a great deal of speculation, Eklund, others, about Morrow's future in Dallas. I think we all agree he's not re-signing here, but the question is will he be traded at the deadline. So my three questions to the masses are:

1) Will he be traded?

2) What's an acceptable price to you?

3) What do you think is an acceptable price to Niewendyk?

My answers are no, a 3rd, and at least a roster player. Niewendyk has shown extreme reluctance to move "important" guys for just picks. The best he could do for Grossman and Fistric was a pick and I don't see a different value for Morrow. Which means I don't think he gets moved.

Hull Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:27 PM
Brand New Stars

An older player with an extra year on his contract.

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:33 PM
txomisc

no he isnt going to be traded. I dont see him waiving his NTC unless they really really pressure him.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:39 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
no he isnt going to be traded. I dont see him waiving his NTC unless they really really pressure him.
I think he'd jump ship for a true contender in a heart beat. The problem is contenders for the most part aren't going to give Dallas/GM Joe what he wants.

That's why Engelland makes some sense, but also sucks. Of course he's not ideal value you'd want, but it's something. More importantly, it's something that's more useful than Morrow.

That's not a dig at him. He's played very well. They just need D, and other people can bring the same things he brings.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:42 PM
Brand New Stars

I'd rather keep Morrow than trade for Engelland

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:51 PM
BigG44

As far as the questions for Hull Fan ... I do think they'll trade him, what I want clearly isn't going to happen, and as for what I don't really know. I think we'll overall be disappointed, but the team will be Pittsburgh or Boston.

I do believe the team will choose Roussel over Morrow for the 3rd line, and I don't think they want Morrow on the 4th line. He won't be happy, and Gulutzan already said he didn't like him with Nystrom and Fiddler.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:08 PM
BigG44

What would it take to get Richard Bortuzzo instead for the Pens. He's been a key shutdown D for them in the AHL, and he's getting some NHL games.

He's no where near as key as their other young D, and he add size and right shot. He's honestly they type of guy I wouldn't mind Dallas adding a bit for. Maybe the Pens would buy low on Glennie?

Morrow, Glennie for Bortuzzo

Old
02-27-2013, 07:16 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
I think he'd waive the NTC so problem. Especially after the twitter **** that went on with his wife.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Wow, if we could drop Glennie on any deal that brings in help on D, that would be a bonus.

02-27-2013, 07:30 PM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

vCash: 995
I hope so.

starsfan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

No, I don't think we will trade Morrow. I would like to see it happen though.

Ampersand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:32 PM
SonicSpeedDash
20% Cooler

Well we are scouting the Flyers their past game and their game against the caps tonight.

So Morrow to Philly maybe?

SonicSpeedDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:07 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
What would it take to get Richard Bortuzzo instead for the Pens. He's been a key shutdown D for them in the AHL, and he's getting some NHL games.

He's no where near as key as their other young D, and he add size and right shot. He's honestly they type of guy I wouldn't mind Dallas adding a bit for. Maybe the Pens would buy low on Glennie?

Morrow, Glennie for Bortuzzo
Pens fans I've seen don't seem keen on losing Bortuzzo but then again unless they're getting a Corey Perry caliber player in return they don't seem interested in trading any useful pieces.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Watch Glennie explode and become a good NHLer and put up 20-30 goals in Pittsburgh with Crosby.

Rune Forumwalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:22 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
Watch Glennie explode and become a good NHLer and put up 20-30 goals in Pittsburgh with Crosby.
My grandmother could put up points next to Crosby and Malkin.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:43 PM
jhr1986

vCash: 50
I doubt Morrow gets traded, in fact I bet he gets resigned here in Dallas. I'm not saying that is ideal, its just what I think will end up happening. At least he's looked pretty good playing with Benn and Jagr, and is taking fewer penalties than last year but I bet he'd be up to last year's shenanigans if he were playing on the 3rd or 4th line. I imagine having Benn and Jagr keeping the puck in the offensive zone keeps Morrow from taking as many penalties and with those two all he has to do is make a few hits here and there and stand in front of the net for tip ins.

jhr1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:33 PM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
My grandmother could put up points next to Crosby and Malkin.

Ampersand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:23 AM
BigG44

This was actually a bit surprising. The ultra-conservative Lyle Richardson is in the Morrow-Gets-Traded camp:

Quote:
SPECTOR’S NOTE: With the Stars in playoff contention, I didn’t think they would make a move like the Ryder-for-Cole swap. I wouldn’t rule out Morrow being shopped by the trade deadline regardless of where they are in the standings.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:30 AM
BigG44

From Tim Cowlishaw:

Quote:
He did say that he intends “to do right by the captain.” That could mean any number of things, actually.
Well that does mean just about anything, but I thought it was an interesting statement to make from GMJN.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:57 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhr1986 View Post
I doubt Morrow gets traded, in fact I bet he gets resigned here in Dallas. I'm not saying that is ideal, its just what I think will end up happening. At least he's looked pretty good playing with Benn and Jagr, and is taking fewer penalties than last year but I bet he'd be up to last year's shenanigans if he were playing on the 3rd or 4th line. I imagine having Benn and Jagr keeping the puck in the offensive zone keeps Morrow from taking as many penalties and with those two all he has to do is make a few hits here and there and stand in front of the net for tip ins.
His dumb penalties are down. He's also scored a few nice goals by hanging around the crease.

But don't let a nice goal total cover up the fact that he still can't skate well enough to play the full game. Sure, he can plant himself in front of the net just fine, but he needs to do more, especially on a line with Jagr who doesn't play defense and a center who loses as many faceoffs as he wins.

Morrow's skating is a big liability that should not be ignored just because of a few goals. He can't get back all that quickly on defense. He struggles to keep up in the transition game and often slows that line down as they try to get up ice. In the offensive zone, he can go to the crease, but he no longer is able to skate with quickness necessary to cycle or put real forechecking pressure on opposing defenses.

I am very glad he's playing a smarter brand of hockey this year by passing up his opportunities to hook and hold like he did last season. The downside is that, by not hooking and holding, it just means we are able to see him lose races and puck battles very frequently.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

On a somewhat related note if you can't get Roy to sign an extension by the deadline do you have to trade him regardless of where this club is in the standings?

Can Joe take that chance again, ie Richards, and let his now best asset walk for nothing on a team no one knows will or won't make the playoffs?

Hull Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:21 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
On a somewhat related note if you can't get Roy to sign an extension by the deadline do you have to trade him regardless of where this club is in the standings?

Can Joe take that chance again, ie Richards, and let his now best asset walk for nothing on a team no one knows will or won't make the playoffs?
That's something you have to think about. 2 days ago I'd say no. Today .... GM Joe said over and over again in every interview that losing Ryder for nothing was important.

Your replaced Ryder. How do you replace Roy by trading him? That's a tough one.

You're in another situation where the team would be looking to fill a hole with the trade rather than getting the best possible package.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:22 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post

Has there been any public statement of whether the Stars are even talking to his agent?

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Has there been any public statement of whether the Stars are even talking to his agent?
Not since Joe said he was their top priority after the Benn signing.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 11:25 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
IIRC ... there was no heads up before the Goligoski extension. If this wasn't Dallas, you'd probably get information like that. Here though, this sort of stuff just tends to sneak up.