HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Achilles injuries in the NFL and how it relates to EK

Old
02-27-2013, 09:49 AM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

vCash: 500
We don't know.

It could have been worse, but it's still serious.

I'm optimistic, because he's young, medicine has come a long way, and other players have succeeded.

It's frightening because of how much his mobility is what made him an elite player.

But I don't see this report changing my opinion one way or another.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:05 AM
enviro61

I was worried before and remain worried. He is the cornerstone to this organization's future. How the hell can anyone not be worried. He is one of if not the best player in the game today.

I remain hopeful and optimistic though.

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:19 AM
lafite

Not a doctor, but I imagine the force needed to stretch a tendon to the tearing point in football or soccer would do all kinds of damage to that tendon, whereas when it is cut by a skate, it would be a lot cleaner with less overall damage. Anyway, that is my totally uninformed medical opinion.

lafite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafite View Post
Not a doctor, but I imagine the force needed to stretch a tendon to the tearing point in football or soccer would do all kinds of damage to that tendon, whereas when it is cut by a skate, it would be a lot cleaner with less overall damage. Anyway, that is my totally uninformed medical opinion.
Ugh....just reading about stretching, tearing, cutting and otherwise damaging tendons make my skin crawl. I can't imagine what goes through the head of anyone who has suffered a torn achilles or the mental challenges of rehab.

Anyone who thinks athletes are soft....hell no.

/respect

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

I don't want him back til next season.

Dysentery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:47 AM
MrG
#BurgerTime

Teemu Selanne's Achilles was ~85% cut when he suffered a similar injury early in his career, and he made a full recovery. Karlsson's was 70% cut.

I recognize the severity of an injury like this but I'm really not too worried given a comparable like Selanne's, and EK's determination to get back to the level he is accustomed to being at.

The only real comparables are within the sport of hockey, and those comparables are all fairly positive. All have made full recoveries, even if it takes upwards of 6 months.

MrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:00 AM
BigEyedPhish

Even if Karlsson does lose some of his explosive speed. He will make up for it in different areas.. Fortunately, speed is NOT what sets Karlsson apart from the rest of the league.. Karlsson is set apart because he is INSANELY SMART.... His speed just allowed him to rather than slow down a game, to speed it up, while still being able to comprehend everything going on around him...

If it does have an impact on his speed (I think it matters if the injury was to his dominant foot or not). I expect Karlsson to become an even more Cerebral player.

If he was a forward this injury could be potentially more damaging to his career, but he is not..

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:28 AM
Senateurs
Let's win it all

I think running is harder on achilles than skating. I'm actually more worried about Spezza's second back surgery than Karlsson's.

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:01 PM
muffin with tentacle

vCash: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Yea... this is literally a horrible thread to make.
It feels good to be optimistic, but that doesn't mean we should ignore the fact that EK may never be the same player again. What a shame it would be if he peaks as a 20-yo because of this injury.

I'm pessimistic by nature, so I can't help but consider the worst case scenario. But still hoping for the best, of course.

muffin with tentacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:31 PM
DJB

vCash: 8579
Never meant to upset anyone with the article, simply posting something that at least somewaht correlates to EK.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

I'm confident he'll return to his form he was playing at this season. This is just a bump in the road for his career.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:46 PM
DrEasy
:heart: Cameron

Quote:
Originally Posted by balaclava brian View Post
What is the point of posting this? Something terrible happened, therefore let's make the situation even more grim by posting this..
How is it making the situation more grim? The situation remains what it is. The post might just adjust our expectations somewhat. Of course, the hope is that with progress in the last decade and the specific nature of Karlsson's injury, the outcome will be more favorable. Or maybe the heel will never be 100% but given the nature of the sport it won't matter as much.

But either way, I thought the OP's post was relevant.

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:54 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEasy View Post
But either way, I thought the OP's post was relevant.
It's not as relevant as examples from hockey of players who sustained similar injuries but came back just fine. The expectation is that he'll make a full recovery so the situation is far from grim.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:22 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Spezza had a relatively minor procedure done. He just can't take the physical punishment of playing in the NHL for a while.

Worry about his back when they start fusing vertebrae together.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:00 PM
corksens

NFL is totally different than the NHL.

Have you seen the cuts that guys in the NFL have to make? No kidding they can't recover from that type of thing.

I'm no doctor, but I can't see how the strain on the achilles is very similar at all.

corksens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:03 PM
corksens

Oh, and I can't believe no one has mentioned this year.

There are no skate blades slashing around in the NFL. If a player has an achilles injury it is likely a rupture and not a slice. This is important for two reasons.

1. The split will be much messier (not a clean slice like what happens in hockey)
2. Unless it has been stepped on, the rupture is likely because of wear and tear or general weakness.

Essentially, except for the cases where a tear has occurred from contact, it can be deduced that the achilles was weak to start. I would expect that players who have weak achilles to begin with will likely have a difficult time recovering.

corksens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:24 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssendonBombers View Post
A cut is probably "cleaner" than a tear as well, and will presumably be able to heal more linearly and hence faster and closer to it's original form.
That's my thinking as well. A clean cut, some great surgeons making sure it's repaired properly. Constant tearing and strains on the Achilles of football/soccer players isn't the same as one clean cut in my opinion (not very informed, not a doctor/researcher).

Loose Sens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:29 PM
2Cowen

I dont care if it was accidental or not. The next time we meet the Penguins I want everyone to go after that piece of ****.

2Cowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:32 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Sami Salo tore his and thought he was done. Now is his playing better than ever.
Sami Salo has had every injury imagineable happen to him. He's the Keith Richards of hockey injuries.

02-28-2013, 03:21 AM
Andrei79

Well, I'm following one of the top orthopedic surgeons at my hospital in two weeks, if you guys want I can ask him the prognosis for elite athletes getting high end care.

Andrei79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:53 AM
Magix

I dont have that doom and gloom outlook when he first got that injury. I think he'll probably return to form but it will take time. To the OP different sport, different type of injury and in a different era.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:16 AM
OD99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei79 View Post
Well, I'm following one of the top orthopedic surgeons at my hospital in two weeks, if you guys want I can ask him the prognosis for elite athletes getting high end care.
Even if we don't want - I would do it

OD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:05 PM
Jaromir Jagrbombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash88 View Post
Running and skating have vastly different demands on the Achilles.. An Achilles injury in hockey is nowhere near as bad as it is in any running sport...
Came here to post exactly this.

Jaromir Jagrbombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:13 PM
DSL

Keep in mind an average NFL player weighs twice as much as Karlsson to begin with and running is more straining on the achilles than skating, as already mentioned.

I don't think there's any reason to make too much out of results from "similar" damages to NFL players decades ago. I doubt any of those injuries were cuts, which means there's no reason to even compare them to one an other.

Unless they rush him back before the injury has fully healed I don't see why it should have any effect on his skating, mobility or speed long term.

DSL is offline   Reply With Quote