HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Most Pointless Trophy in Sports?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-27-2013, 01:01 PM
  #151
The Hutch
Registered User
 
The Hutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Westminster, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
The Presidents trophy is only ever won by elite teams and or dynasty's so I think the OP is way off base here.

The PT separates the elite teams from the flash in the pan playoff teams.
Blackhawks in '90/'91?

Blues in '99/'00?

Sharks in '08/'09?

Capitals in '09/'10?

They all say hi....

The Hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:22 PM
  #152
Eastside
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 139
vCash: 500
Pro-Bowl MVP. Scratch that, any ASG MVP.

Eastside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:23 PM
  #153
Bkennedy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Bkennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 1,695
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Von Grabo View Post
Gold glove. Jeter is a slightly above avg fielder, has like 5 of them.
This, my friends, is ignorance at its finest.

Tied for 6th overall best DEFENSIVE shortstop in major league history, and I'd say this list is pretty accurate (he may deserve higher).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...h-video/page/7

He's one of the best ever, show respect.

Bkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:25 PM
  #154
Misleader
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 86
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post
What is this Lady Bing?
Bing Hitler's wife?


Misleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:27 PM
  #155
VeteranNetPresence
Hey, Orpheus!
 
VeteranNetPresence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,435
vCash: 500
president's trophy. thing is ugly as hell too

VeteranNetPresence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:33 PM
  #156
weaponomega
Registered User
 
weaponomega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkennedy View Post
This, my friends, is ignorance at its finest.

Tied for 6th overall best DEFENSIVE shortstop in major league history, and I'd say this list is pretty accurate (he may deserve higher).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...h-video/page/7

He's one of the best ever, show respect.
LOL. I hope this is a sarcastic post. If not, do some research and watch the games.

weaponomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:33 PM
  #157
Syckle78
Registered User
 
Syckle78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Redford, MI
Country: Belgium
Posts: 5,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkennedy View Post
This, my friends, is ignorance at its finest.

Tied for 6th overall best DEFENSIVE shortstop in major league history, and I'd say this list is pretty accurate (he may deserve higher).
L
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...h-video/page/7

He's one of the best ever, show respect.

your proof is some random ranking? Lol what?

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:41 PM
  #158
Bkennedy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Bkennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 1,695
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
your proof is some random ranking? Lol what?
I've watched over 90% of Yankees games since 2000, and it's safe to say that every single time he won the GG, he deserved it.

Bkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:48 PM
  #159
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,547
vCash: 2960
How is the President's Trophy the most pointless trophy in sports? You need the most points to get it.

__________________
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:16 PM
  #160
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 3,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
How is the President's Trophy the most pointless trophy in sports? You need the most points to get it.
I was just coming here to post that!

Anyway, Mark Messier Leadership Award for sure. Does anyone take it serious? Is it just a bag of Lays chips dipped in bronze?

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:56 PM
  #161
Eisen
Registered User
 
Eisen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Eugene
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I can think of dozens of soccer trophies that are more pointless than anything hockey gives out.
You probably can't find a single one that is more pointless than the plus/minus award.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:01 PM
  #162
Eisen
Registered User
 
Eisen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Eugene
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
the Tripple Gold club, when 2 of the 3 awards aren't even gold.
Olympic Gold Medal, WC Gold Medal, Stanley Cup

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:06 PM
  #163
jw2
Registered User
 
jw2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 2,432
vCash: 643
Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:50 PM
  #164
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
All Star Game MVP

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:10 PM
  #165
bacon25
Registered User
 
bacon25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Group Study Room F
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,724
vCash: 500
All of them!!! Players should play for the love of the game

bacon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:20 PM
  #166
Wheatley
We Rabite You
 
Wheatley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,230
vCash: 500
The Presidents Trophy was never supposed to be "the be all and end all" of trophies. That's what the Stanley Cup is for.

It's basically just "hey, congrats on having the best regular season in the league, here's some recognition".

Don't really get all the hate for it. If you don't care, then don't care.

Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:31 PM
  #167
Master_Of_Districts
Registered User
 
Master_Of_Districts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Black Ruthenia
Country: Belarus
Posts: 1,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
Nope, you are comparing apples to oranges. Individual trophies in the rear season are used to measure the greatness of a player. Presidents trophy is nothing more than the number one seed. If it's so worthy of being a trophy why don't other sports have an equivalent? No one cares about the present regular season, hell no one cares about the cup finals loser. Celebrating the presidents trophy is about as lol worthy as hanging a divisional championship banner.
You yourself claimed that players don't go all out during the regular season.

In fact, you used that assertion to support your argument that the President's Trophy is meaningless.

If you were at all consistent in your logic, you ought to consider player-based awards equally meaningless.

Master_Of_Districts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:34 PM
  #168
Master_Of_Districts
Registered User
 
Master_Of_Districts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Black Ruthenia
Country: Belarus
Posts: 1,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hutch View Post
Blackhawks in '90/'91?

Blues in '99/'00?

Sharks in '08/'09?

Capitals in '09/'10?

They all say hi....
Those were all teams that experienced sustained success over an extended period. In other words, they were elite.

To claim otherwise because they happened to be eliminated in the first round is asinine.

Master_Of_Districts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:50 PM
  #169
Schalkenullvier*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: tief im westen
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
Olympic Gold Medal, WC Gold Medal, Stanley Cup
well technically the stanley cup is silver

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:55 PM
  #170
Syckle78
Registered User
 
Syckle78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Redford, MI
Country: Belgium
Posts: 5,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Of_Districts View Post
You yourself claimed that players don't go all out during the regular season.

In fact, you used that assertion to support your argument that the President's Trophy is meaningless.

If you were at all consistent in your logic, you ought to consider player-based awards equally meaningless.
Make whatever argument and leap in logic you want. Doesn't make the regular season trophy any more meaningful or the Canucks presidents trophy hats any less hilarious.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:29 PM
  #171
The Hutch
Registered User
 
The Hutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Westminster, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Of_Districts View Post
Those were all teams that experienced sustained success over an extended period. In other words, they were elite.

To claim otherwise because they happened to be eliminated in the first round is asinine.
There is a HUGE difference between having sustained success, and being elite. I didn't list those PT winners simply because they bombed in the playoffs. I see where I did make at least one error though, so I will gladly either retract or explain each team I listed.

Blackhawks in '90/'91?

I failed to omit this one, given that they made it to the Cup final the following season. I had left off other PT winners for that very same criteria.

Blues in '99/'00?

Made it to the conference finals the following season with less points in the standings, then it continued downhill from there. Said finals appearance was only the second time they'd made it out of the second round since their two Cup final appearances at the end of the 1960's. It was also only their first division win since '86/'87, and their last until this past season.

Sharks in '08/'09?

You can argue the four consecutive division titles in this time span, but they never stood head and shoulders above the competition. They made the conference finals in the two seasons that followed, but they came out of those series with a combined 1-8 record.

Capitals in '09/'10?

Three regular seasons ranging between awesome and very good sandwiched by winning the worst division in the league getting them third seed, or just barely making the playoffs. The club peaked quickly, then came down almost as fast.

The reason why I listed these PT winners, minus the Blackhawks, is because they only have the aforementioned trophy to show for how much they all vastly underachieved once it came time to win the big one. Elite teams contend for the Cup, and not a single one of them did. Though the Sharks are arguable, the fact remains that this supposedly "elite" team got creamed in both finals appearances during their run.

Elite? Far from it.

The Hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:35 PM
  #172
Eisen
Registered User
 
Eisen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Eugene
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
well technically the stanley cup is silver
true, but he said that two out of three are not gold.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:42 PM
  #173
Schalkenullvier*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: tief im westen
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
true, but he said that two out of three are not gold.


but I agree it's a stupid argument...

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:21 PM
  #174
Riddum
Registered User
 
Riddum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post


but I agree it's a stupid argument...
The inside is gold, brah. :p

Riddum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:33 PM
  #175
schumway2
Registered User
 
schumway2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by parker mcdonald View Post
how is the president's trophy the most pointless trophy in sports? You need the most points to get it.
bazinga :d

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.