HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais Discussion (Slow Start & Contact Talk)

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 10:52 AM
SmurfsFTW
Wait.. WUT ?!

vCash: 500
DD needs to play better if he wants to be considered a keeper and get a long term deal.

Hopefully we can trade him for a bigger body next year if management thinks that Galch is able to center the 2nd line and Eller the third on a consistent and successful basis.

Right now, he's sub par compared to the quality of play he displayed last year. Not worth more than what he gets right now, and he'll surely ask for 2M+

Old
02-27-2013, 11:18 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Nothing is cut in stone at this moment. I do think going forward that have bigger, skilled centres is more advantageous than smaller ones in the current NHL.

I'd say Plex, Chucky and Eller as our top 3 looks better than Plex, DD, Eller imo.

I guess the point I'm trying to make more than anything else is that Eventually, Galchenyuk and Eller will counted on as primary centres on this team. Plex is far superior than DD and as such he doesn't fall into a spot in the near term future. As such, why not trade him now while he's afforable and we can get something significant in return, if possible. If not, I'm more than happy with the current situation and his role in the line up right now. I was thinking more in the next couple of years assuming Galchenyuk and Eller continue to progress.
Eller could play wing and fill in at center when needed. I think he plays the winger "role" well with Galchenyuk and Cole/Gallagher the last few games.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:23 AM
TheGoalJudge

Expendable. And I really don't see him as a Bergevin type player.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:26 AM
MoonlightGraham

Yes, as good third line center. I think Eller is going to be play on the wing. Galchenyuk will be the first line center, and Plekanec on the second line.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:42 AM
otto bond

He's getting used to the coverage in the Ozone. Creats more and more. Also, his FO have been better.

He's got a high ceilling offensively but the catch is, he need the right type of wingers to reach that high ceilling. The bonus here, he's got one, Patch.

Defensively, he struggles but not to the point where he's not effective. His future with the Habs will depend on his offensive success.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:49 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Eller could play wing and fill in at center when needed. I think he plays the winger "role" well with Galchenyuk and Cole/Gallagher the last few games.
He can do this but on a temporary basis. Going forward over the next couple of years, why wouldn't you want Eller to play at his natural position where he's shown he's a 3 zone player with size and grit. DD isn't nearly as flexible as Eller is.

If I had to chose between the 2, I'd go with Eller, especially if the top 2 spots are taken by Plex and Galchenyuk.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
He can do this but on a temporary basis. Going forward over the next couple of years, why wouldn't you want Eller to play at his natural position where he's shown he's a 3 zone player with size and grit. DD isn't nearly as flexible as Eller is.

If I had to chose between the 2, I'd go with Eller, especially if the top 2 spots are taken by Plex and Galchenyuk.
I think at some point Eller and DD would fit well together full time with Eller playing more the defensive zone center role and DD as the offensive playmaker role. Pacioretty would get a bigger role with Galchenyuk perhaps. Maybe add a guy like Kristo or LeBlanc and you have a high end 3rd line. DD getting regular PP time and Eller PK time.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:51 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
Expendable. And I really don't see him as a Bergevin type player.
Perfect work ethic, high compete level... I see him as a Bergevin/Therrien type of player.

------------------------

We are currently rolling 3 well balanced scoring lines (+ a solid 4th line) and the last time I checked, we were doing alright! If Desharnais, a productive secondary scoring centre with a high compete level and elite vision, agrees to a cap friendly contract, I see no reason to change the current winning formula.

19 years old Galchenyuk is not ready to assume centre duties and the team is winning: our current situation at C is definitely not a concern. Plus, Eller’s playing style is more suited for wings imo.

Long story short: as long as he agrees to sign a cap friendly contract (4 years; 10-12M$), Desharnais is a keeper.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:58 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Let's see what DD can accomplish with the Ryder on his wing ( btw don't type Cole Ryder in google images ), before we can make proper judgement of what contract he should have.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:00 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Let's see what DD can accomplish with the Ryder on his wing ( btw don't type Cole Ryder in google images ), before we can make proper judgement of what contract he should have.
Trust this man, do not type Cole Ryder.

What is seen cannot be unseen

Old
02-27-2013, 01:48 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halakalakaboom View Post
DD needs to play better if he wants to be considered a keeper and get a long term deal.

Hopefully we can trade him for a bigger body next year if management thinks that Galch is able to center the 2nd line and Eller the third on a consistent and successful basis.

Right now, he's sub par compared to the quality of play he displayed last year. Not worth more than what he gets right now, and he'll surely ask for 2M+
Well, DD was the best Habs player for the last 5 games, so...

Old
02-27-2013, 01:50 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Well, DD was the best Habs player for the last 5 games, so...
He played well, not that well. Not close to being our best player.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:52 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Then name our best player, by all means.

That player is NOT Lars Eller.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:54 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:

For the last five games? Tomas Plekanec. Are people that afraid to call Plekanec the best forward on this team?

Old
02-27-2013, 01:54 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Best might be a stretch.. but he's definitely been one of our top-3 forwards during our point streak.

Eller, Pacioretty, Plekanec, and Desharnais have all been very, very good of late.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:55 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
For the last five games? Tomas Plekanec. Are people that afraid to call Plekanec the best forward on this team?
If anything, TP was my 2nd best player for the last five games.

Besides, having seen the game in Ottawa live...

You see things that you don't see on TV.

That factors in a bit in my evaluation.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:00 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:

Who said it was lars eller? Insecure much?

Natey's post captures the best few forwards. Last game was tough for him, but besides that one Subban has been lights out as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Aye, Pleks was our best if I had to choose one.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:04 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Best might be a stretch.. but he's definitely been one of our top-3 forwards during our point streak.

Eller, Pacioretty, Plekanec, and Desharnais have all been very, very good of late.
Gallagher really helps DD out a lot. Having to deal with those two down low can be quite frustrating. PPs waiting to happen.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:07 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Trust this man, do not type Cole Ryder.

What is seen cannot be unseen
HAhahahaha. That will haunt me for a while...

Old
02-27-2013, 02:10 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyZetts View Post
Gallagher really helps DD out a lot. Having to deal with those two down low can be quite frustrating. PPs waiting to happen.
It hurts me to say it: Last game against Ott, both were very-very good, but both lose the puck many times along the board after simple rather light cross-checks by the d-men. Playing both on the same line isn't a good idea. Their small size sometimes ruin their good work.

...and I'm not a fan of big bodies and everything. Just saying. Size does matter in hockey.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:11 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
It hurts me to say it: Last game against Ott, both were very-very good, but both lose the puck many times along the board after simple rather light cross-checks by the d-men. Playing both on the same line isn't a good idea. Their small size sometimes ruin their good work.

...and I'm not a fan of big bodies and everything. Just saying. Size does matter in hockey.
Yeah, there were a few crosschecks on them that could have been ruled penalties, but oh well.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:11 PM
MXD

Quote:
Who said it was lars eller? Insecure much?
Just taking out of the most common denominator of every DD thread. Insecure much to have to rely on alleged insecurity of other posters?

Eller was not in the Top-3 forwards for the last games. Too many mistakes-brain farts in the D-Zone.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:17 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post

I hear ya. I want to upgrade on DD and Gionta for those reasons but I'm just saying that he has been playing well. Some of those could've been penalties as well, refs were letting everything go. I'd still trade his ass in a second though.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:21 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think at some point Eller and DD would fit well together full time with Eller playing more the defensive zone center role and DD as the offensive playmaker role. Pacioretty would get a bigger role with Galchenyuk perhaps. Maybe add a guy like Kristo or LeBlanc and you have a high end 3rd line. DD getting regular PP time and Eller PK time.
Are you saying DD & Eller alternate as 3rd line centres?

Old
02-27-2013, 03:49 PM
Milhouse40

It's not about DD....It's about what you can buy for that same amount of money and filling needs!!! It's always about that in the end.

Let's assume that the Habs will buyout Kaberle...this is what Bergevin got:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
Brandon Prust ($2.500m) / Lars Eller ($1.325m) /
Travis Moen ($1.850m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / P.K. Subban ($2.875m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.225m)
Alexei Emelin ($2.000m) /

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)

OTHER
Buyout: Tomas Kaberle ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $47,368,333; BONUSES: $2,485,000
CAP SPACE (15-man roster): $19,416,667

With 19 millions left to play with.

And in a year which we might see a lot of good players available and with the cap going down. Players might be available below market value.

And some good players might be boughtout just to fit under the new cap.

In a year which we might have: Perry, Getzlaf, Iginla, Ribeiro, Morrow, Semin, Bouchard, Horton, Clowe, Gagne, Ryder, Penner, Weiss, Filpulla, Clarkson, Dupuis, Brunner, Roy, McDonald,...and many more available...

Money might be a good thing to have right now.

With Plekanec - Glachenyuk - Eller as centre...Mtl got offensive and defensive talents, size, specials units are cover and MTL have 3 good center for less than 10 millions.

DD's performance should get him a 3M to 4M contract (in my opinion...can't ask more than that with the new cap and the players available)

But then you might ask....How much Clowe will get if available?
Will Clowe help this line-up more than DD would?

Putting another 3 to 4 millions dollars at the center when you already have Plekanec and Galchenyuk is slowly taking his place is.....bad bussiness.

Especially when their is some weakness on the wings and defense.
That 3-4 millions could help to get a big shutdown-D or a winger with scoring abilities.

I would put that money somewhere else!!

Closed Thread