HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

New Realignment Plan

Old
02-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
So, add another Toronto area team to Div. A, shift DET to Div B, and move CBJ to Div C?

(I think DET has more of a right to stay in the East than CBJ does)
Thing is, the Jackets need the move to survive, Detroit doesn't. Yes, the Jackets kinda/sorta dug their own hole, but right now it's not about who deserves to go where, it's who needs to go where.

Can't believe I'm in the position of actually HOPING Phoenix survives, and/or a move or expansion into Seattle. Under NO circumstances do I want the Avs to move back to the Pacific Division.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:48 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Thing is, the Jackets need the move to survive, Detroit doesn't. Yes, the Jackets kinda/sorta dug their own hole, but right now it's not about who deserves to go where, it's who needs to go where.

Can't believe I'm in the position of actually HOPING Phoenix survives, and/or a move or expansion into Seattle. Under NO circumstances do I want the Avs to move back to the Pacific Division.
Can you elaborate WHY Columbus NEEDS to move?

02-27-2013, 02:00 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Can you elaborate WHY Columbus NEEDS to move?
Sure. East coast start times instead of west coast start times, less travel for the team, better draws in terms of opponents from a regional standpoint, etc. Basically all the reasons a team like Detroit would also benefit from the move (my friend who's a Wings fan is just dying to see the Leafs/Wings rivalry rekindled) but the Wings have proven to be successful despite being in the West. The Jackets haven't.

It looks like they can both move, so this is a moot point...but if I were the NHL and only one could go, I'd choose Columbus. It's what's best for the league, not what's best for the Detroit Red Wings.

Old
02-27-2013, 02:04 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

OK, so CBJ has to move so that the opponent's fans can fill the arena. Makes sense, in a sad way.

Right now, both look to be moving East. But, IF they add another Toronto based team, someone would have to move, since both East conf divisions already are slated to have 8 teams.

And I, too, would hate to see us shifted to the Pacific div. I really hope they add a team in Seattle or something. Even if they do, and PHX moves to Quebec, we could be forced to the Pacific div.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:18 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
OK, so CBJ has to move so that the opponent's fans can fill the arena. Makes sense, in a sad way.

Right now, both look to be moving East. But, IF they add another Toronto based team, someone would have to move, since both East conf divisions already are slated to have 8 teams.

And I, too, would hate to see us shifted to the Pacific div. I really hope they add a team in Seattle or something. Even if they do, and PHX moves to Quebec, we could be forced to the Pacific div.
It's almost makes me root for an expansion in Vegas and Seattle as well as Phoenix surviving...probably too much to hope for though.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:23 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
There was some pundit (McKenzie or LeBrun) speculating that NHL would prefer relocating to Seattle and then in a few years expand in Toronto and Quebec because they could get so much in expansion fees ($500M) in those markets.

It's all about money.
It's simple , it will be easier to sell hockey in Seattle with a relocation insted of an expension . If you start a team in a new market, it's easier to sell your product with a winning team instead of an expension team that will likely lose for their first 4-5 years .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Yea, I heard a similar thing earlier in the year. The expansion fees, and revenue sharing boost from another Toronto based team would be insane.

It's why the owners were so comfortable holding out until the last second playing hardball with the union IMO.
Same goes with Québec , it's already a hockey market , the NHL have no effort to make , to sell their product. they are waiting for a franchise with an owner willing to pay . Plus , the fans wants to have another franchise so much that they wouldnt care to get an expension team. the Collisé would be full , night after night , even if the teams finish dead last for a few years in a row ... somthing that probably couldnt work in a new hockey market like Seattle.

It makes sense business wise, for the NHL to act like this .

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:30 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
It's simple , it will be easier to sell hockey in Seattle with a relocation insted of an expension . If you start a team in a new market, it's easier to sell your product with a winning team instead of an expension team that will likely lose for their first 4-5 years .

Same goes with Québec , it's already a hockey market , the NHL have no effort to make , to sell their product. they are waiting for a franchise with an owner willing to pay . Plus , the fans wants to have another franchise so much that they wouldnt care to get an expension team. the Collisé would be full , night after night , even if the teams finish dead last for a few years in a row ... somthing that probably couldnt work in a new hockey market like Seattle.

It makes sense business wise, for the NHL to act like this .
Do you think it would work in those three locations (Toronto, Quebec City and Seattle)?

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:46 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Do you think it would work in those three locations (Toronto, Quebec City and Seattle)?
I don't see Toronto getting another team

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 04:58 PM
avalanchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
Why not? LA has two teams... LAK & LADA... aka LA Kings and LA Ducks of Anaheim.

avalanchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:00 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Québec and Toronto would work , Seattle i have my doubts ... but maybe that's because i want to have a team back in Québec .

Québec is a small market but they have crazy hockey fans and an onwer with money , newspapers/web and his own sports station , to make it work .

Toronto is also an insane hockey market , plus they have enough population for another Team, i have no doubts . The only thing i wonder about the Tor2 is that they could take away fans from Ottawa , who is a small market and need every sports /dollars per fan to survive .

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
I'm actually from Southern Ontario and went back a few weeks ago for the first time in 14 years. I was SHOCKED to see so many cities around Toronto who's population has literally DOUBLED in that time span. (For example, I remember Oakville had 99,000 for the longest time, now they are at something like 171,000)

There's been a HUGE population boom in the Toronto region, I have no doubt that a team in Markham or whatever would EASILY work and it wouldn't hurt the leafs one bit.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:44 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I'm actually from Southern Ontario and went back a few weeks ago for the first time in 14 years. I was SHOCKED to see so many cities around Toronto who's population has literally DOUBLED in that time span. (For example, I remember Oakville had 99,000 for the longest time, now they are at something like 171,000)

There's been a HUGE population boom in the Toronto region, I have no doubt that a team in Markham or whatever would EASILY work and it wouldn't hurt the leafs one bit.
I'm not saying it wouldn't be viable, because I think it would be. I just don't see the NHL wanting to add another team to Toronto and rather add another another team in the US, especially if Quebec gets a team.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 05:55 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanchuck View Post
Why not? LA has two teams... LAK & LADA... aka LA Kings and LA Ducks of Anaheim.
What is the attendance difference between Lakers/Clippers, Ducks/Kings, and Dodgers/Angels if you know? Because one of those teams always have attendance problems due to the other one being a bigger market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Québec and Toronto would work , Seattle i have my doubts ... but maybe that's because i want to have a team back in Québec .

Québec is a small market but they have crazy hockey fans and an onwer with money , newspapers/web and his own sports station , to make it work .

Toronto is also an insane hockey market , plus they have enough population for another Team, i have no doubts . The only thing i wonder about the Tor2 is that they could take away fans from Ottawa , who is a small market and need every sports /dollars per fan to survive .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post

I used to be a huge believer that hockey could work in Seattle, but I am starting to question. I mean them, Milwaukee/Madison, Omaha, or Portland would be the best cities to put a new hockey team for the United States (don't listen to the hype about Houston, Virginia Beach, or others). Don't worry Frenchy, I see Quebec as a better version of Winnipeg and look how good they have been with an average team. It is just a matter of time before Quebec gets a team! Overall I think it would be awesome to see Quebec and Seattle get a team.

I actually have my doubts of Toronto's 2nd team would be a success, like how many Leaf or Senator fans would become Markham fans? But based on these posts it is very interesting to see that you guys say it will work. I just hope Hamilton will not get a team because that is a big chunk of Sabres fans gone and I like the Sabres.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:37 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Being a Lincoln resident I don't see Omaha working, even though the Lancers are successful there. Still not big enough. Seattle is still a better bet.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:23 PM
Avs
Bozak + 2nd

Not sure if someone has brought this up earlier or not, but what is with the Florida teams being with the Northeastern teams?

Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:28 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
I wish the NHL would expand/relocate to KC, because it's only a 3 hr drive, I'd be hard tempted to not be a season ticket holder...at the very least I'd be buying tix to the Avs games

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 12:14 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs View Post
Not sure if someone has brought this up earlier or not, but what is with the Florida teams being with the Northeastern teams?
Lots of Canadian snow birds filling up the arenas in Florida. It's not a perfect fit but neither would having the Florida teams with the Atlantic teams.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:03 AM
Mant*

Our season schedule will be a hell of a lot more exciting with that new division. I get so tired of watching the same three canadian teams making up the bulk of the season. Too bad they couldn't get rid of Minnesota while they were at it.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:27 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
Our season schedule will be a hell of a lot more exciting with that new division. I get so tired of watching the same three canadian teams making up the bulk of the season. Too bad they couldn't get rid of Minnesota while they were at it.
Minnesota comes in a package with the Jets, so I'm fine with this.

klozge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:35 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
NHLPA has signed off on NHL's proposed realignment. Don Fehr statement to follow:
Quote:
Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
"After discussions with Executive Board, NHLPA has given consent to realignment, to be re-evaluated following 2014-15 season.” - Fehr
I like the idea of a new division for the Avs but I hate that we're no longer with the Oilers. I'll probably only get to see the Avs play live once a season now.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:37 PM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

We will have a better chance at making the playoffs next year. woooo

NothingLikeAnEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:41 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

This should be a fun division to play in. I will enjoy seeing us play Winnipeg, Chicago, and St. Louis.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
I think Minnesota games will be getting a hell of a whole lot more exciting in coming years. There's too much talent there for them to remain a boring, low-scoring squad.

Unfortunately, we're now in the same division as ****ing Nashville.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1100
Hooray for earlier start times. Boo everything else.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:56 PM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
Hooray for earlier start times. Boo everything else.
Why? We no longer have to play the teams that absolutely own us (Vancouver, LA, Phoenix and San Jose), 6 or 4 times a year.

NothingLikeAnEJ is offline   Reply With Quote